REVscene - Vancouver Automotive Forum

Welcome to the REVscene Automotive Forum forums.

Registration is Free!You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today! The banners on the left side and below do not show for registered users!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   REVscene Automotive Forum > Automotive Chat > Vancouver Off-Topic / Current Events

Vancouver Off-Topic / Current Events The off-topic forum for Vancouver, funnies, non-auto centered discussions, WORK SAFE. While the rules are more relaxed here, there are still rules. Please refer to sticky thread in this forum.

Closed Thread

Old 04-03-2013, 02:07 PM   #12451
Big Drama Show

Thanked 3,080 Times in 1,195 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by bballguy View Post
Gillis would have needed to take a bad contract back in order to deal Luongo

Luongo for Komi + Scrivens + 2nd ?

At least Gillis tried lol
Advertisement
Old 04-03-2013, 02:07 PM   #12452
Revscene.net has a homepage?!

I think the fans of Vancouver wouldn't be upset if MG had accepted Scrivens and a draft pick instead of "multiple" pics. It sounds like Lu really wanted to go so its no good to us holding onto him. Kinda like the Iggy trade. Doubt Flames fans are happy with the return. But for the good of Lu and the team, I would've accepted a bit less to trade Lu away. What if miraculously Reimer plays well down the stretch and into the playoffs? Now that's one less team willing to take on Lu's contract.
Posted via RS Mobile
This post thanked by:
Old 04-03-2013, 02:08 PM   #12453
Corny FTW!! MOD

Quote:
Originally Posted by pastarocket View Post
Gillis will need to change his trade offer demands in order to trading Luongo if he wants to unload salary off the books. How the heck is he gonna re-sign players with the salary cap room available?

-Gillis over estimates the demand for a goalie in the market and gives out a big contract AND a no trade clause to Luu. Real smart, MG!
Im hearing that the offer they got was just to take Luongo off of our books. If that's the case. I would do exactly what MG just did. Hang on to him until the end of the season. Why drop Lou now and help the leafs and it wouldn't benefit the canucks this season?

Sponsored by:
Soundsgood

For all your car audio needs!
#3-910 Tupper Avenue
Coquitlam, BC V3K 1A5
Shop: 604-961-8626
www.soundsgoodauto.com

Hours of Operation: Tuesday through Saturday, 9:00 to 6:00
This post thanked by:
Old 04-03-2013, 02:19 PM   #12454
In RS I Trust

Thanked 17,581 Times in 4,297 Posts
I can't really see Lu getting more in trade value in the off season right now. The other GM's know he has to be moved so they will low ball Gillis just like Nonis did.
This post thanked by:
Old 04-03-2013, 02:19 PM   #12455

Quote:
Originally Posted by FeistyBearH22a View Post
Im hearing that the offer they got was just to take Luongo off of our books. If that's the case. I would do exactly what MG just did. Hang on to him until the end of the season. Why drop Lou now and help the leafs and it wouldn't benefit the canucks this season?
Because from Lu's interview today, it sounds like he doesn't wanna be here. At this rate, we're gonna follow how the Flames do things, hang on to the guy until u get next to nothing back for him. I doubt the return on Lu will be greater during the summer. Last summer everybody said "just wait until TB or Florida has there goalie troubles, they'll offer up something great for Lu". Well guess what? Both teams had tremendous trouble in goal this year and Lu is still here. Just getting rid of Lu's contract is all the return I want
Posted via RS Mobile
Old 04-03-2013, 02:25 PM   #12456
Rs has made me the man i am today!

Thanked 1,587 Times in 631 Posts
We've got no leverage on the Lu situation; he's got a pretty ridiculous contract and he has a no-trade clause...all you guys who were thinking we would/could get a top 6 guy for him are crazy....
Old 04-03-2013, 02:31 PM   #12457
I contribute to threads in the offtopic forum

Thanked 1,118 Times in 530 Posts
Kassian recalled!!

Quote:
Elliott Pap ‏@ElliottPap 49s

Canucks recall RW Zack Kassian after one game, one goal, with Chicago Wolves as Bill Sweatt goes back down. #canucks
He went into the hyperbolic time chamber and his physical condition is in top shape! lol
Old 04-03-2013, 02:40 PM   #12458
UFO
I *heart* Revscene.net very Muchie

Quote:
Originally Posted by FeistyBearH22a View Post
Exactly

The bigger thing to consider is that Luongo is more or less a known insurance policy for the playoffs. If Cory shits the bed come playoff time, you know Luongo has some level of compete to offer. Unless MG and co. are willing to admit that the Canucks would be winners if they get out of the first round, anything else is a bonus. And obviously that will not happen, even the Leaf's would never admit to that.

You give Lu away for Scrivens and a pick, you have no real good fall back plan should Cory falter and there is nothing to help the team right now. The return for Lu may not be any better in the summer, it may likely be worse, but that's the price to pay for insurance come playoff time.
Old 04-03-2013, 02:42 PM   #12459
RS.net, helping ugly ppl have sex since 2001

Thanked 2,558 Times in 925 Posts
Dont forget that if we won the cup in 2011, luongo would be the MVP
Old 04-03-2013, 02:45 PM   #12460

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Earl View Post
Dont forget that if we won the cup in 2011, luongo would be the MVP
Why does that matter in this situation? It doesn't...
Old 04-03-2013, 02:51 PM   #12461

In case cory shit the bed we won't have to shit brick
Old 04-03-2013, 02:57 PM   #12462

Quote:
If Cory shits the bed, by the time we do something about it, it'll be too late....We've won 2 games this season when an opponent has scored more than 2 goals....Even if Corey shits the bed in games 1 and 2, it's unlikely we can pull off winning 4 of the next 5.
Old 04-03-2013, 02:58 PM   #12463
Mod.

Thanked 1,769 Times in 684 Posts
for those who didn't see or hear the interview, an emotional Luongo

Also MG post deadline

damn it won't let it start where i shared. MG comes on at the 53:15 mark
97 Civic CX (POS)

Last edited by !Nhan; 04-03-2013 at 03:05 PM.
This post thanked by:
Old 04-03-2013, 03:00 PM   #12464
Performance Moderator

Thanked 15,408 Times in 5,094 Posts
Quote:
Cuz an unhappy goalie with a 5.00 average in the Stanley Cup Final is a good alternative option when your starter sh*ts the bed?

Yes I realize we had no scoring whatsoever to rely on and normally Lu isn't that bad, but he was and it's sticking in my memory a lot more than the Dallas series years before when he beat 3-shutout Turco.

Short story is, I personally don't have confidence in Lu for situations that are mentally stressful.
Old 04-03-2013, 03:04 PM   #12465

Quote:
Originally Posted by UFO View Post
Exactly

The bigger thing to consider is that Luongo is more or less a known insurance policy for the playoffs. If Cory shits the bed come playoff time, you know Luongo has some level of compete to offer. Unless MG and co. are willing to admit that the Canucks would be winners if they get out of the first round, anything else is a bonus. And obviously that will not happen, even the Leaf's would never admit to that.

You give Lu away for Scrivens and a pick, you have no real good fall back plan should Cory falter and there is nothing to help the team right now. The return for Lu may not be any better in the summer, it may likely be worse, but that's the price to pay for insurance come playoff time.
So based on what you're saying, the Canucks should never trade away Luongo cuz there's a chance that Cory can shit the bed during every playoffs. If the Canucks don't win during this playoff, I can bet its not cuz of Cory's shitty play, it'll be because the offence can't score more than a goal and a half.
Posted via RS Mobile
Old 04-03-2013, 03:13 PM   #12466
Where's my RS Christmas Lobster?!

Thanked 1,233 Times in 266 Posts
Happy to see NYR trade Gaborik, put up some good numbers but too inconstant. It sound stupid when NYR is 30th in GF and signing Clowe (who has 0 goals) while trading Gaborik
they need the cap space also, with Lundqvist, Callahan, Stepan, McDonagh and Hagelin all become FA's soon something had to be done Gaborik would have been the most unlikely to be signed out of all those players anyways when became a FA

They look grittier and a little more like 2011-2012 NYR more depth and defensive players, hoping it works out. If they do not make the playoffs I will never here the end of it from my friends

Hope it works for him in Columbus, it will be cool to see him play with Anisimov, Dubinsky and Prospal again he played well with all of those players in New York
Old 04-03-2013, 03:20 PM   #12467

No market needs a goalie in the summer. NYI has the rights to negotiate with TT for that 2nd round lol.

Wpg, NJ, EDM and maybe Chi needs a goalie. Then again stl, ott, van has a goalie controversy. Miller for howard swap could be a potential trade too.
Old 04-03-2013, 03:28 PM   #12468
My homepage has been set to RS

Quote:
TEAM Radio ‏@TEAM1040 2m
RT @tsn1050radio: Dreger - Got to the point that it was reasonably close, but the finances were just too much of a monster for the Leafs

TEAM Radio ‏@TEAM1040 3m
RT @tsn1050radio: @DarrenDreger - "Canucks wanted Scrivens and a collections of draft picks and assets"
Curious to know what kind of picks/assets we were asking for.

We'll see what happens from here on out, I agree with a previous post that Kesler is the x-factor. Here's hoping that he comes back and infuses the team with some much needed energy, passion and drive. Gotta try and stay positive!

Old 04-03-2013, 03:30 PM   #12469

Quote:
No market needs a goalie in the summer. NYI has the rights to negotiate with TT for that 2nd round lol.

Wpg, NJ, EDM and maybe Chi needs a goalie. Then again stl, ott, van has a goalie controversy. Miller for howard swap could be a potential trade too.
Yeah, you're right; Chicago definitely needs a goalie when Crawford is 2nd in GAA and 3rd in SV%, while Emery is 4th in GAA and 15th in SV%.....

Oilers think they are fine with Dubnyk...

Quote:
Originally Posted by kristianhay View Post
I agree with a previous post that Kesler is the x-factor.
Dat was me!
Old 04-03-2013, 03:40 PM   #12470

Worst comes to worst we have to keep luongo and trade cory for a clutch performer. (henrique )

MG fucked up. Deal with it canucks fans.
Old 04-03-2013, 03:41 PM   #12471
UFO
I *heart* Revscene.net very Muchie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blah_Teggie View Post
So based on what you're saying, the Canucks should never trade away Luongo cuz there's a chance that Cory can shit the bed during every playoffs. If the Canucks don't win during this playoff, I can bet its not cuz of Cory's shitty play, it'll be because the offence can't score more than a goal and a half.
Posted via RS Mobile
You're taking what I said out of context. The context is this year's playoffs. You give Lu away for Scrivens and pick, get rid of Lu's cap hit for next year, that's all fine and dandy. But it does absolutely NOTHING to help the team win right now. Having Lu sit on the bench (or Cory realistically) as a backup is more 'current value' than what we could have returned in a Luongo trade/giveaway. Getting Scrivens plus pick plus prospect does nothing to address our offensive needs in any way/shape/form for this year. We all agree that our window to win is closing fast, if not closed already.

If I take what you're saying out of context, you're saying that the Canucks should trade away both goalies, all of our defensively sound players, and build around an offense that can score goals, and all will be fine with the world. Obviously I'm not saying that, I don't want to watch the Edmonton Oilers play at Rogers Arena.

And hey, maybe I AM saying we should never move Luongo. Let's move the other guy who can bring you back more in return. Give Cory a round or two of playoff experience this year, he does what he can to keep our team in it for as long as he can. Adds to his resume and just increases his value to other teams.
Old 04-03-2013, 03:44 PM   #12472

Lu to the leafs would have been very interesting.

If he became all clutch again, Leaf's would be a serious threat imo. The chemistry between Lupul/kadri is solid.

Main thing that comes down to the Leafs is the unproven goaltending (Playoffs, not right now (I know both are playing good))
This post thanked by:
Old 04-03-2013, 03:50 PM   #12473

Just spotted someone lurking this thread in Kwantlen Richmond library, you looked right at me in the camo shirt hahaha.
Posted via RS Mobile
Old 04-03-2013, 03:55 PM   #12474

Quote:
Originally Posted by kristianhay View Post
Just spotted someone lurking this thread in Kwantlen Richmond library, you looked right at me in the camo shirt hahaha.
Posted via RS Mobile
dat was me, come hang out with me.
Old 04-03-2013, 04:08 PM   #12475
Where's my RS Christmas Lobster?!

Thanked 1,233 Times in 266 Posts
Ryan Clowe 2 assists a goal and some big hits and brassard with a nice assist on the powerplay against the almighty Pittsburgh

for a team that can't score and bottom 25 in PPG this is huge
Closed Thread