REVscene Automotive Forum

REVscene Automotive Forum (https://www.revscene.net/forums/)
-   Vancouver Off-Topic / Current Events (https://www.revscene.net/forums/vancouver-off-topic-current-events_50/)
-   -   NHL IS BACK! The Official 2012/2013 Canucks & NHL Thread (https://www.revscene.net/forums/669494-nhl-back-official-2012-2013-canucks-nhl-thread.html)

kristianhay 05-29-2013 01:08 PM

From what I've read/heard, I like what Eakins has to offer. AV was so distant with players because he wanted the guys to lead within the group, but everything said about Eakins is that he's a great communicator. I think that's what the Canucks need right now.

In terms of Ballard and Booth, I've heard a lot lately about them NOT being bought out, as obvious as it seems. I wouldn't mind keeping Ballard if Edler is moved, but Booth is too big of a bandaid for how much he is paid. From what I've heard, the Aquilini's like making money, not wasting it, and that these guys might be given another chance under a new coach. I hope not, but that's what I've heard up to this point.

Mike Oxbig 05-29-2013 01:10 PM

Luongo, Edler Schroeder should go Florida for the #2 pick overall only if Mackinnon have not been picked.

jeedee 05-29-2013 01:14 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by kristianhay (Post 8248747)
From what I've read/heard, I like what Eakins has to offer. AV was so distant with players because he wanted the guys to lead within the group, but everything said about Eakins is that he's a great communicator. I think that's what the Canucks need right now.

In terms of Ballard and Booth, I've heard a lot lately about them NOT being bought out, as obvious as it seems. I wouldn't mind keeping Ballard if Edler is moved, but Booth is too big of a bandaid for how much he is paid. From what I've heard, the Aquilini's like making money, not wasting it, and that these guys might be given another chance under a new coach. I hope not, but that's what I've heard up to this point.

i wouldn't be surprised if Ballard and Booth stick with the team

Gillis seems like a stubborn guy who won't admit a mistake and simply buy out the 2
Posted via RS Mobile

Ch28 05-29-2013 01:34 PM

I'd tank the season for McDavid. Look what Crosby does singlehandedly on most nights. We haven't seen a game changer since Bure.
Posted via RS Mobile

Mike Oxbig 05-29-2013 01:37 PM

^ no chance in hell will the NHL let us get no.1 pick

Not really racist! 05-29-2013 01:43 PM

and when we don't we can have another decade of disappointment....

tbh if we even trade up this draft I'll be happy...there are quite a few studs that could pan out well
Posted via RS Mobile

punkwax 05-29-2013 03:08 PM

Tom Sestito...

http://25.media.tumblr.com/a081cabb4...u7fzo1_400.gif

spideyv2 05-29-2013 03:14 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Not really racist! (Post 8248712)
Because bold moves.

To COL:
VAN 1st, Edler, Schneider, Schroeder

To VAN:
COL 1st

Colorado needs a #1 D and franchise goalie, 1st and Schroeder just thrown into the mix to make things fair

Before anyone calls me crazy, I'm fucking serious

lol no ty men

Not really racist! 05-29-2013 03:16 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jayare604 (Post 8248827)
lol no ty men

http://i.imgur.com/OFR966F.gif

highfive 05-29-2013 03:19 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Not really racist! (Post 8248746)
Can't really disagree with anything said here but lets be honest, we aren't getting back to the SCF with the Sedins as our #1 and by the time they are done, Kesler will be past his prime. I wouldn't be very confident banking our future in 5-8 years on Jensen and Gaunce alone. And we suck at drafting. Let's not forget Jensen was a gift that slipped for us......

In fact, we probably won't have a good chance at the cup for the next ~5 seasons. A bold move has to be made, doesn't matter what it is, if we get MacKinnon we can actually stay relevant. 9/10 times a team will pick him over Jones.

Everybody should watch this dude play, he tore it up in the Memorial Cup, and will be the best 1st overall pick since probably Tavares. I'd put him on the same level if not higher than him.. and he's only 17.

He's got high hockey IQ, amazing passing and shooting, playmaking ability, and good skater but most importantly has leadership qualities. He ain't Crosby, but not that far away from him. But yeah, based on Gillis' track record there's no way in hell this is happening. Everything has a risk no doubt but this might be one of the few times it'll be actually worth it.

McDavid is the next Crosby, and there's no way in hell you can trade for that pick, and we aren't gonna tank for it in 2015. This is as close as it gets, just my 2 cents.

I wouldn't really pass up on Jensen and Gaunce yet.

Jensen Stats
23 points in 50 games in the Swedish Elite League. Remember he's only 20.

Gaunce went beast mode in the playoffs in junior. Not just points but the way he played. Tyson Giuriato tweets a lot about Canucks prospects and he mentioned the big hits the scoring..it almost made me think of what Kesler did in the Nashville series.

UFO 05-29-2013 03:28 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jeedee (Post 8248755)
i wouldn't be surprised if Ballard and Booth stick with the team

Gillis seems like a stubborn guy who won't admit a mistake and simply buy out the 2
Posted via RS Mobile

The reason why there is talk of Ballard and Booth sticking around is because they have parts of their game to offer which AV obviously didn't care enough to tap into.

Some creative thinking has MG trading for some other teams' bad contracts because those teams can't afford to buy out or have others they need to buy out, along with a solid player and/or top prospect, then the Canucks use their own compliance buy out to get rid of the crap guy they just got. This is not a bad way to acquire players and prospects as long as the guy signing the cheques understands the game plan. Sounds like something right up MG and Gilman's alley, and will probably piss off Bettman lots.

That sounds like a bold AND smart move, not to say that trading our top 2 tradeable assets who are established top end NHL players + prospect closest to making the NHL regularly + middle 1st rounder in a deep draft for a 17yo who may or may not turn into Patrik Stefan, isn't.

Soundy 05-29-2013 03:34 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by darthchilli (Post 8248601)
awaiting CiC to come in with his views on CONSPIRACY

Pretty sure the owners of these teams are all members of one Zionist family.

Not really racist! 05-29-2013 03:42 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by highfive (Post 8248831)
I wouldn't really pass up on Jensen and Gaunce yet.

Jensen Stats
23 points in 50 games in the Swedish Elite League. Remember he's only 20.

Gaunce went beast mode in the playoffs in junior. Not just points but the way he played. Tyson Giuriato tweets a lot about Canucks prospects and he mentioned the big hits the scoring..it almost made me think of what Kesler did in the Nashville series.

In absolutely no way am I downplaying Guance or Jensen's abilities but looking at the way we draft, and who we have in the cupboard compared to others, I'm neutral in terms of looking forward. These two alone won't be able to push us over the top, and neither have that game breaker ability.

Jensen is the only one that has potential for that. Good playmaker, good shot, top 6 winger potential but still needing to bulk up

Gaunce at his best will be a second line center, but for sure a 3C playing a two-way game.. Grinder type guy, winning battles down low doing the scrappy work and getting points that way, still working on his skating and hands because hes limited offensively that way

Not really racist! 05-29-2013 03:49 PM

Quote:

Schroeder has shoulder surgery, out for summer

BY JIM JAMIESON, THE PROVINCE MAY 28, 2013

Jordan Schroeder had surgery on his left shoulder earlier this month, and which will put his off-season training on hold for an undetermined period.

Shoulder labrum surgery has put Jordan Schroeder on an uncertain timeline for a September Canucks training camp that boasts unprecedented opportunity for younger players.

But Schroeder, 22, who had the procedure on his left shoulder on May 21 in Minneapolis, says he’s confident he’ll be ready to challenge for an NHL job at camp.

“I’ve got a workout plan set up for the summer that will enable me to be on track and ready for camp,” Schroeder, the Canucks’ 2009 first-round pick (22nd overall), said from his Minneapolis-area home on Tuesday.

But Schroeder also said there is no definite time frame yet on when the shoulder will be 100 per cent.

That’s a concern, with training camp less than four months away, and Canucks GM Mike Gillis saying there will be significantly more opportunity for young players next season.

“I’m going to get back at it (off-ice training) in a couple of weeks,” said Schroeder. “Obviously, I can’t do some of the upper-body stuff, but I’ll be able to get the legs going.”

He added that a time frame for getting back on skates is still up in the air.

Schroeder said the shoulder has bothered him for a few years, and decided to get it done.

“It’s fine to play with, but it’s kind of annoying more than anything,” said Schroeder, who is a pending restricted free agent. “It was just something we decided to get done.

“Sometimes, if you had one arm out and you’re going for a poke check and you get hit weird, it would kind of come out, so that was kind of a problem. It didn’t happen very often, but we made the decision to go ahead (with surgery).”

Schroeder, a small (5-foot-8, 175 pounds) centre with great wheels and good offensive instincts, got his first taste of NHL action this season, getting the call-up from the minors early in the shortened season.

He had a great start, saw time on the power play and the second, third and fourth lines, but tailed off and was returned to the minors in early April. In 31 games, Schroeder had three goals and nine points.

Schroeder said he saw with interest Gillis’ comments about a Canucks’ reset with an emphasis on youth next season. He believes this season’s experience can only help his chances.

“That’s encouraging,” he said. “I got a taste of it last year. It was a great experience.

“As a player, I learned a lot about what it takes to play in that top six or top nine. I learned what I have to bring every night and that’s part of the challenge of growing into an NHL player. I want to continue to grow as a player and come to camp and show them that I belong there.”

jjamieson@theprovince.com

twitter.com/jamiesoncanucks

© Copyright (c) The Province

Read more: Schroeder has shoulder surgery, out for summer

Mike Oxbig 05-29-2013 04:03 PM

Booth - Kesler - Schroeder

https://encrypted-tbn3.gstatic.com/i...oqcbY-eodXshYQ

Ronin 05-29-2013 04:58 PM

I'm ready to buy Booth out but if he can get his shit together and have something close to a full productive year...

Meh, I'm not willing to take that chance for $4.5m.

spideyv2 05-29-2013 05:04 PM

Curious to see what kinda numbers Booth can put up for us when he's healthy

Won't happen tho
Posted via RS Mobile

Renthal 05-29-2013 05:08 PM

after booth's big concussion a few years ago he has not been the same player, and I doubt he will turn it around.

nasty

kristianhay 05-29-2013 05:42 PM

I'd prefer trying to acquire a legitimate, non-injury prone top 6 forward through a trade of sorts than to put my money on Booth at this point.

Sid Vicious 05-29-2013 05:53 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by kristianhay (Post 8248952)
I'd prefer trying to acquire a legitimate, non-injury prone top 6 forward through a trade of sorts than to put my money on Booth at this point.

Canucks dont have anything to offer for that type of player...their best bet is to swap a bad contract (luongo) for another bad
Posted via RS Mobile

Not really racist! 05-29-2013 06:22 PM

Anybody watchin the game?

Tim Budong 05-29-2013 06:27 PM

Yep
GREAT game here.
Refs put the whistles away and the pace is amazing

Gh0stRider 05-29-2013 06:35 PM

nooooooooooooooooooooooooooo
Posted via RS Mobile

Gh0stRider 05-29-2013 06:36 PM

wait, what?