REVscene - Vancouver Automotive Forum

Welcome to the REVscene Automotive Forum forums.

Registration is Free!You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today! The banners on the left side and below do not show for registered users!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   REVscene Automotive Forum > Automotive Chat > Vancouver Off-Topic / Current Events

Vancouver Off-Topic / Current Events The off-topic forum for Vancouver, funnies, non-auto centered discussions, WORK SAFE. While the rules are more relaxed here, there are still rules. Please refer to sticky thread in this forum.

Old 10-19-2012, 10:17 PM   #51
UFO
I *heart* Revscene.net very Muchie

For anyone that cares, Nike, Anhauer-Busch (Budweiser), and Trek (Armstrong's bike sponsor) have dropped their sponsorship.
Advertisement
UFO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2012, 10:52 PM   #52
Banned By Establishment

Thanked 2,982 Times in 1,135 Posts
Sounds like we should be giving him more medals, not taking them away. First he beat your stupid bike race(7 times) and then beat your drug tests too!
Gridlock is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
This post FAILED by:
Old 10-20-2012, 06:47 PM   #53
I don't get it

Nike believes that cheating on wife is ok, cheating on your sport is not ok
dvst8 is offline   Reply With Quote
This post FAILED by:
Old 10-20-2012, 06:58 PM   #54
Hypa owned my ass at least once

Thanked 1,314 Times in 540 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by dvst8 View Post
Nike believes that cheating on wife is ok, cheating on your sport is not ok
I'm okay with this.

Cheating on your wife has nothing to do with how you earned your sponsorship. Cheating your way to the top of your professional field does.

Understandably, Nike wants to endorse athletes where it can look like as if it is "they" or "their" products that assisted them to the top of the profession; not banned substances.
Noir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2012, 09:45 PM   #55
RS controls my life!

listening to cbc radio 1 the other day and they were discussing this. It's incredible how it's splitting the fans. Some think it doesn't matter if he was doping or not, he did amazing things with his stardom and he did it with cancer. Others believe that it's morally incorrect because he only won because of the drugs. I've never much cared for professional cycling, now I doubt I ever will. I'll stick to a clean sport like hockey, clean in the sense that nobodies injecting themselves with shit just to win. Honestly besides hockey I can't think of any other major sports that don't have a doping issue. Well maybe golf and racing if you consider it a sport.
Everymans is offline   Reply With Quote
This post FAILED by:
Old 10-20-2012, 10:06 PM   #56
I bringith the lowerballerith

^ How do you know that hockey is a clean sport? Some pro hockey players may be clean now,but who knows how long they have been banging the juice before they turned pro.

I can name one former Vancouver canuck that was on juice during the time he played for us.
spyker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2012, 10:07 PM   #57
UFO
I *heart* Revscene.net very Muchie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Everymans View Post
I'll stick to a clean sport like hockey, clean in the sense that nobodies injecting themselves with shit just to win. Honestly besides hockey I can't think of any other major sports that don't have a doping issue.
I wouldn't be so quick to believe hockey is a 'clean' sport. AFAIK there isn't a clear anti-doping testing protocol with the NHL, so maybe ignorance is bliss, for now anyways.
UFO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2012, 11:47 PM   #58
dlo
Los Bastardo owned my ass at least once

Thanked 7,930 Times in 1,432 Posts
Not every sport will have people juicing, but there are performance enhancing drugs... No sport is clean lol, there are players who are clean their whole career and there are some who cheat. Simple as that
Posted via RS Mobile
dlo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2012, 01:27 AM   #59
My dinner reheated before my turbo spooled

IMO, all athletes cheat...just dont get caught and prepare for the backlash when you do.
I say Lance deserves the fallout of being exposed as a cheat. good riddance.
Ludepower is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2012, 01:45 AM   #60
My homepage has been set to RS

Thanked 1,645 Times in 446 Posts
so what if he was doping......who cares....Livestrong isnt about cycling...or about tour de france.....its about a guy who beat cancer, achieved something amazing, and started a charity to raise awareness and funding for cancer research.
and besides....even if lance was doping...so was everyone else....so if he was doping, along with every one else..they are still on even playing grounds...and he still won......
skiiipi is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 10-21-2012, 01:46 AM   #61

Thanked 1,645 Times in 446 Posts
"Due to the seemingly insurmountable evidence that Lance Armstrong participated in doping and misled Nike for more than a decade, it is with great sadness that we have terminated our contract with him. Nike does not condone the use of illegal performance enhancing drugs in any manner," this is also a pretty harsh statement by NIKE...considering how many MILLIONS of $$$ they made off of the Livestrong Brand Name......
skiiipi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2012, 03:45 AM   #62
Hacked RS to become a mod

Thanked 23,776 Times in 8,170 Posts
Nike better stop sponsoring every single athlete
SkinnyPupp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2012, 09:07 AM   #63

Thanked 1,874 Times in 604 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by skiiipi View Post
so what if he was doping......who cares....Livestrong isnt about cycling...or about tour de france.....its about a guy who beat cancer, achieved something amazing, and started a charity to raise awareness and funding for cancer research.
and besides....even if lance was doping...so was everyone else....so if he was doping, along with every one else..they are still on even playing grounds...and he still won......
You are right, everyone was doping, including lance.....however, he still beat them. The issue is not with doping, it is about lance lying about it and attacking and intimidating anyone that spoke agaisnt him.

Lance has done allot for cancer research, but the whole premise what he stands for is a shame
86 944 Turbo with 340rwhp Lindsay Racing kit
15 991 PTS GT3
18 VW Golf R
Z3guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2012, 09:11 AM   #64

Thanked 1,874 Times in 604 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by skiiipi View Post
"Due to the seemingly insurmountable evidence that Lance Armstrong participated in doping and misled Nike for more than a decade, it is with great sadness that we have terminated our contract with him. Nike does not condone the use of illegal performance enhancing drugs in any manner," this is also a pretty harsh statement by NIKE...considering how many MILLIONS of $$$ they made off of the Livestrong Brand Name......
It just shows you nike's true colours....it is all about making money. Nike was misled? Give me a break, they just looked the other way.
86 944 Turbo with 340rwhp Lindsay Racing kit
15 991 PTS GT3
18 VW Golf R
Z3guy is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 10-21-2012, 11:09 PM   #65
I contribute to threads in the offtopic forum

Livestrong products on sale?
Old 10-22-2012, 07:52 AM   #66
RS.net, where our google ads make absolutely no sense!

Lance Armstrong stripped of seven Tour de France titles: He

It's official, he's been stripped of all 7 Tour De France titles.
heleu is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 10-22-2012, 05:03 PM   #67
what manner of phaggotry is this

Thanked 5,473 Times in 1,814 Posts
They can strip all they want. I think a good majority of people still see him as the best cyclist ever regardless of the doping issue. A lot of people understand that "he won while doping, but most of the people he beat were doping as well" and lets be honest, he won it 7 times. Doping or not that is still remarkable. I think this whole thing has done more damage to cycling itself than it has to Lance.
This post FAILED by:
Old 10-22-2012, 05:52 PM   #68
Willing to sell body for a few minutes on RS

Thanked 4,763 Times in 1,748 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by RRxtar View Post
I think this whole thing has done more damage to cycling itself than it has to Lance.
This.

Speaking as someone who really doesn't follow the sport of cycling, this whole debacle has really made me think the sport itself as a giant sham.

Probably would have been better if they swept it all under a rug.
2014 F150 5.0L XTR 4x4

A vehicle for all occasions
Great68 is online now   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
This post FAILED by:
Old 10-22-2012, 06:09 PM   #69
Willing to sell body for a few minutes on RS

Thanked 4,763 Times in 1,748 Posts
Holy shit, the way iwantafuckface is dishing out the fails you'd think Lance Armstrong fucked his sister.
2014 F150 5.0L XTR 4x4

A vehicle for all occasions
Great68 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2012, 06:11 PM   #70

Quote:
They can strip all they want. I think a good majority of people still see him as the best cyclist ever regardless of the doping issue. A lot of people understand that "he won while doping, but most of the people he beat were doping as well" and lets be honest, he won it 7 times. Doping or not that is still remarkable. I think this whole thing has done more damage to cycling itself than it has to Lance.
I don't even know another professional cyclist besides Lance Armstrong so I'm pretty sure most people don't as well so the fact that they'll still think he was the best is irrelevant.

It has hurt Armstrong as much as it has hurt cycling. Why? He was cycling...

Cheaters need to be caught and face punishment, the argument that it is okay to cheat because "most" are is absolutely flawed. The only way his doping can be justified is if he can prove every cyclist in those 7 Tour De France's did some kind of performance enhancing drug. That of course is not possible because although you can assume most did I'm sure there were those who did not cheat.

This is only the beginning of Armstrong's fall..he's going to be facing perjury charges.
iwantaskyline is offline   Reply With Quote
This post FAILED by:
Old 10-22-2012, 07:08 PM   #71

Quote:
Doesn't matter. Still not fair for the cyclists who abided by the rules in good faith.

Just because a good portion of cyclists, most notably Lance's competitors in the top 10 are using doesn't mean suddenly its an equal playing field; nor it is suddenly acceptable; nor does it negate his error into "no big deal" territory.
Old 10-22-2012, 07:25 PM   #72
I *Fwap* *Fwap* *Fwap* to RS

Like rrxtar mentioned, they can strip all they want: the majority of his competitors probably doped too, Lance is just the one who got caught.

It's not about the doping, but rather him lying and what he stood for was all a lie.

Still, 7 times? Doping or not, he beat all the rest of them at it.
Phozy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2012, 07:57 PM   #73
dlo
Los Bastardo owned my ass at least once

Thanked 7,930 Times in 1,432 Posts
Stood for? He stood for cancer research and all that stuff. Sucks that he got the finger was laid on him and he's taking all the heat... If he didn't do it for any charitable cause and was caught doping ill throw the book at him, but he did this for a charitable cause even though he was wrong.
Posted via RS Mobile
dlo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2012, 08:10 PM   #74
what manner of phaggotry is this

Thanked 5,473 Times in 1,814 Posts
pretty neat little chart here

Top Finishers of Tour de France Tainted by Doping - Graphic - NYTimes.com

look at 2003 and 2005. if you stripped the results of everyone that so far have been caught doping, the guys who came 10th would end up with a medal.

in the 7 years that armstrong won the TDF, 50% of the top 10 finishers have so far been caught doping. if/when just a couple more riders get caught, you can bet that percentage could reach 70% or more.
Old 10-22-2012, 08:14 PM   #75

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phozy View Post
Like rrxtar mentioned, they can strip all they want: the majority of his competitors probably doped too, Lance is just the one who got caught.

It's not about the doping, but rather him lying and what he stood for was all a lie.

Still, 7 times? Doping or not, he beat all the rest of them at it.
He's not the only one who got caught. Refer to RRxtar's resources; Numerous competitors in the top 10 has also been caught.

The difference between Lance and the others who got caught were... he had the most to lose. That's why you see a bigger splash when it comes to L. Armstrong's public ousting.