REVscene - Vancouver Automotive Forum


Welcome to the REVscene Automotive Forum forums.

Registration is Free!You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today! The banners on the left side and below do not show for registered users!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.


Go Back   REVscene Automotive Forum > Automotive Chat > Vancouver Off-Topic / Current Events

Vancouver Off-Topic / Current Events The off-topic forum for Vancouver, funnies, non-auto centered discussions, WORK SAFE. While the rules are more relaxed here, there are still rules. Please refer to sticky thread in this forum.

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old 07-04-2012, 07:10 AM   #51
To me, there is the Internet and there is RS
 
penner2k's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2002
Location: Delta
Posts: 15,911
Thanked 765 Times in 228 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by iam_dan View Post
dont have to date to have sex
I havent gone on a date in at least 5 years. I do fine
Advertisement
__________________
The harder I lift and the more I eat, the better my genetics seem to get.
penner2k is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2012, 07:14 AM   #52
To me, there is the Internet and there is RS
 
penner2k's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2002
Location: Delta
Posts: 15,911
Thanked 765 Times in 228 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by JD像 View Post
Improbable but not impossible. You also seem to ignore the fact that people are capable of great change both positively and negatively, so anyone can end up with anyone. There are likely thousands of stories that contradict these two statements. I use the one about the skinny anti-social unpopular kid in highschool that didn't have a date to grad who ended up as an Officer and a pilot in the military and been out with women who've been in Playboy. Oh wait, that was me!

Gridlock has it right that it's about lifestyle, not status. Status is for shallow people. So good for Chris Brown, I'm sure the wife-beater and his whores will be very happy together.

You dont think that being an officer and a pilot in the military gives you status? Its the same thing with cops and firemen.
__________________
The harder I lift and the more I eat, the better my genetics seem to get.
penner2k is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2012, 07:47 AM   #53
I subscribe to Revscene
 
Durrann's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: E. Vancouver
Posts: 1,919
Thanked 301 Times in 136 Posts
Mila is sexy in Ted
Durrann is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2012, 01:23 PM   #54
I contribute to threads in the offtopic forum
 
Join Date: Dec 2003
Location: Vancouver
Posts: 2,777
Thanked 1,045 Times in 419 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jason00S2000 View Post
A Playboy Model is just a skank with a fancy title

Mila Kunis is a rich celebrity with status many, many times greater than a "Playboy Model."

Shit, you can find "Playboy Models" waitressing at Vanilla Room in Langley, or working the front desk at Fitness world. Yes, they've posed for one flyer for Playboy Energy Canada or whatever, so they can call themselves Playboy models.

The fact is, despite how much you wish you could date her, Mila Kunis would never slum with someone who is not in the film, music, or elite level sports industries.

I'm just saying this because at such a high level, they don't have time for you to work a 9-5 job, be in school, or otherwise not fit into their lifestyle of travel and luxury living.
I kind of agree with your view on status, but you shouldn't make assumptions that Mila wouldn't date any of us or anyone of lower status. You don't know her nor do you know the kind of men she's attracted to.

I think status is more about culture. Celebrities of western culture who dates usually look for status. Moreover, some are for publicity purposes.

Now look at the Asian culture. Many of them date and marry those without statuses.

I would agree with Gridlock's view on lifestyle over status. She even states that she travels too much to be dating. So apparently, she wants stable a relationship.
mr_chin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2012, 01:38 PM   #55
Cant Stop Modding Fat Cars w/ Cheap Pasts!
 
StylinRed's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2002
Location: CELICAland
Posts: 23,881
Thanked 9,761 Times in 3,530 Posts
shes dating ashton kutcher in secret apparently

quit buying the bs koolaid



as for not dating someone in the industry a lot of "stars" do quit putting people on pedestals (jason)
StylinRed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2012, 02:02 PM   #56
Wunder? Wonder?? Wander???
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: coquitlam
Posts: 228
Thanked 75 Times in 35 Posts
Watching her on "Ted" ...........god damn!
Pooface55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2012, 04:23 PM   #57
My homepage has been set to RS
 
drunkrussian's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: Vancouver
Posts: 2,308
Thanked 824 Times in 340 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by mr_chin View Post

I think status is more about culture. Celebrities of western culture who dates usually look for status. Moreover, some are for publicity purposes.

Now look at the Asian culture. Many of them date and marry those without statuses..
in hk and chinese culture it seems status is 10x more important especially with celebs. dunno bout the rest of asia. correct me if im wrong
drunkrussian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2012, 10:52 AM   #58
Banned By Establishment
 
Join Date: Apr 2001
Location: Vancouver
Posts: 5,378
Thanked 435 Times in 189 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by drunkrussian View Post
in hk and chinese culture it seems status is 10x more important especially with celebs. dunno bout the rest of asia. correct me if im wrong

Status is important.

How many successful men want to date a woman who has never accomplished anything?
Jason00S2000 is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
This post FAILED by:
Old 07-05-2012, 11:35 AM   #59
I Wanna Go Fast!
 
JD像's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2002
Location: Nomadic
Posts: 5,767
Thanked 2,087 Times in 503 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jason00S2000 View Post
How many successful men want to date a woman who has never accomplished anything?
Haha is this guy for real? Is this a real argument? Trophy wives don't just exist in Disney movies :noob:

Disconnect from the drugs, porn, and escorts bud. Reality is much different. BRB taking big sausage Delissio over to my sister's hot friend's place. IT'S NOT DELIVERY!

Last edited by JD像; 07-05-2012 at 11:46 AM.
JD像 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2012, 02:13 PM   #60
Banned By Establishment
 
Join Date: Apr 2001
Location: Vancouver
Posts: 5,378
Thanked 435 Times in 189 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by JD像 View Post
Haha is this guy for real? Is this a real argument? Trophy wives don't just exist in Disney movies :noob:

Disconnect from the drugs, porn, and escorts bud. Reality is much different. BRB taking big sausage Delissio over to my sister's hot friend's place. IT'S NOT DELIVERY!

When you say "trophy" you're already acknowledging a woman's status, that's what makes her a trophy. You just contradicted yourself.
Jason00S2000 is offline   Reply With Quote
This post FAILED by:
Old 07-05-2012, 04:31 PM   #61
My homepage has been set to RS
 
drunkrussian's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: Vancouver
Posts: 2,308
Thanked 824 Times in 340 Posts
actually trophy wives are just hot. they can come from a family of shit status and be poor. as long as they look good theyre trophy wives.

however im not denying that theres such thing as status and that it plays a role in the sleection process of a lot of people. nobody here is arguing that. people here are only saying that this is not the case for all people, possibly not the case for most people, and not the case for some celebrities. since u dont know much about mila kunis, you saying something is as valid as me saying the opposite. if u deny the fact then that no all people are all about status, u must believe u are all knowing, which is impossible and would therefore make you an idiot or a troll. which is it??
drunkrussian is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 07-05-2012, 07:42 PM   #62
Banned By Establishment
 
Join Date: Apr 2001
Location: Vancouver
Posts: 5,378
Thanked 435 Times in 189 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by drunkrussian View Post
since u dont know much about mila kunis, you saying something is as valid as me saying the opposite. if u deny the fact then that no all people are all about status, u must believe u are all knowing, which is impossible and would therefore make you an idiot or a troll. which is it??
Well, considering you don't even have the status to:

a. Possibly run into her at an event
b. Meet her through mutual friends
c. For her to have heard of you
d. Possibly work with her on a show or movie
e. Send a basic message of "hi" in a personal email to her

I'd like to safely assume that you know the basics of the word "status", because as it stands, nobody in this entire thread has a single shred of ever being able to meet her in a favorable situation.

Sure, you could tweet to her and ask her out, but really, how creepy is that?

Truth is, once you get to a certain level of status, it's hard for her to not date someone on her level. A mutual friend, another actor, musician, or personality. Like she's going to go "Oh hey guys meet my bf he's 23, goes to SFU, and drives a lowered SiR with a supercharged b16!" yeah, no.

If she works with men on the level of success and wealth as Seth MacFarlane, she's sure as fuck at a pretty elite level of friends and associates. What could you do to even be noticed by her?
Jason00S2000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2012, 10:27 PM   #63
My homepage has been set to RS
 
drunkrussian's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: Vancouver
Posts: 2,308
Thanked 824 Times in 340 Posts
actually mila kunis has a roommate. The roommate is a regular guy and he's gay - he's not a famous person or rich. She goes out with him a lot and he's her bff.

now who's to say she wouldn't date a normal guy as well? Perhaps someone who she would meet through the bff who's in the same circle of friends?

point number 2 - if you actually read the article, in it she states that she wants to date online if she could. Will she be selective and pick someone attractive, normal and sane? Yes. Will it be a celebrity? I highly doubt it. Will it be someone of her status? Hell no. Key word is "normal" - the fact that she wants to date online proves she wants someone normal.

again, i dunno much about mila kunis and i do agree with your about status in general. I just think your points are based on easy to make, obvious and extreme assumptions. Just like the guy in this thread who talked about status and how it exists more in western than eastern culture (which is a bunch of bullshit). Anyone can make a blanket statement based off a madeup assumption based off a stereotype.

Last edited by drunkrussian; 07-05-2012 at 10:33 PM.
drunkrussian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2012, 10:33 PM   #64
I Wanna Go Fast!
 
JD像's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2002
Location: Nomadic
Posts: 5,767
Thanked 2,087 Times in 503 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by drunkrussian View Post
actually mila kunis has a roommate. The roommate is a regular guy and he's gay - he's not a famous person or rich. She goes out with him a lot and he's her bff.

now who's to say she wouldn't date a normal guy as well? Perhaps someone who she would meet through the bff who's in the same circle of friends?

point number 2 - if you actually read the article, in it she states that she wants to date online if she could. Will she be selective and pick someone attractive, normal and sane? Yes. Will it be a celebrity? I highly doubt it. Will it be someone of her status? Hell no. Key word is "normal" - the fact that she wants to date online proves she wants someone normal.
He knows everything therefore your points are invalid. His brutal generalizations are indisputable. The answer to the last question of your previous post is "both".

My point: You, whoever is reading this, can date anyone. Prince William married a "commoner" breaking hundreds of years of Royal tradition. There are no leagues or status' in real relationships. Work for who/what you want; the sky is not the limit.

Last edited by JD像; 07-05-2012 at 10:40 PM.
JD像 is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 07-05-2012, 11:43 PM   #65
Where's my RS Christmas Lobster?!
 
yogenfruz's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: Victoria
Posts: 881
Thanked 448 Times in 155 Posts
JD brings up a perfect example of this with Prince William. Just because someone has a high social status doesn't mean they're completely off limits to everyone below them. Celebrities and those in royalty marry fellow celebrities or others in royalty generally due to ease of lifestyle relation or tradition. With that said, it's not like that can't be broken. Anyone can date/marry anyone they want to as long as the chemistry and attraction is there.
__________________
PSN: gThorpe92
Quote:
Obviously, you're suffering wankers cramp.
yogenfruz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2012, 12:40 AM   #66
Banned By Establishment
 
Join Date: Apr 2001
Location: Vancouver
Posts: 5,378
Thanked 435 Times in 189 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bedroom Eyes View Post
JD brings up a perfect example of this with Prince William.
1. She's gorgeous and owns part of a company worth 30 mil UK pounds.
2. He's the fucking prince. Heard of hypergamy? Think they'd be together if he were some hoodie and trainer wearing chav?

Dare I say, by the example of Prince Charles in picking the gorgeous schoolteacher mother of his, perhaps the tradition is that the royals marry for looks? ( Looks = status for women )

You guys seem almost dense sometimes. Price Harry is a terrible example because he is exactly who you'd think a wealthy, beautiful debutante would want to date, and vice versa.


Come on guys. You can find a better example of "marrying down" than Prince fucking Harry and his gorgeous wife.
Jason00S2000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2012, 01:51 AM   #67
I keep RS good
 
Ulic Qel-Droma's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2001
Location: Cosmos
Posts: 28,548
Thanked 5,449 Times in 1,457 Posts
what the fuck is wrong with you guys.

every time i go OT i see this thread but never click it. after MANY days, i see it's STILL floating, so i click it, and deep inside, i hoped maybe it would just be a buncha hot pictures of her... but instead i see the men of RS bickering about her relationship /social status like a buncha highschool kids worshipping some fantasy that will never happen.
Ulic Qel-Droma is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 07-06-2012, 02:19 AM   #68
Head Moderator
 
Lomac's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 1982
Location: Great White Nor
Posts: 22,646
Thanked 6,409 Times in 2,069 Posts
@ thread

You guys are both right, and you're both wrong.

I do have some experience here (not as much as 7seven, obviously ) but I'm not talking out of my ass either. Yes, celebrities tend to have relationships with other celebrities. However, this isn't necessarily because of a desire to marry someone with the same status as themselves. It's because when you're spending 75% of your life on a film set, the only people you're really going to interact with are other film-related people. Usually it's other actors/actresses, but sometimes it's other people behind the scenes. When I worked on Dark Angel, Jessica Alba would actually come hang out with us "normal" film grunts after shoots. True, she married her (much older) co-star at the time, but at least she wasn't stuck up and only hung out with fellow stars. It's not like she was inaccessible or anything to the "common man." It's just that because she spent the majority of her time on a film set, naturally that's where all her friendships stemmed from.

I also grew up with a Hollywood actress (Amanda Crew of Sex Drive, though I suppose she's probably just a B-rated actress at the moment ). In fact, throughout high school, she was in a bunch of my films I did... (I should send some of those to TMZ lol). Anyway, she's one of the most down-to-earth girls I know and is just as likely to fall for a guy she met at Starbucks than she is to marry some famous co-star.

To respond to Jason's comments a bit further, yes, some actors will marry someone based on their partner's accomplishments. But, really, how is that any different from half of the world's population? However, just because other actors marry an actress, it's not because they're doing it out of said status or accomplishments, it's because those people are really the only friends they have while they're filming.

And just for shits and giggles:



Lomac is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 07-06-2012, 03:03 AM   #69
Banned By Establishment
 
Join Date: Apr 2001
Location: Vancouver
Posts: 5,378
Thanked 435 Times in 189 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lomac View Post
@ thread
It's not like she was inaccessible or anything to the "common man." It's just that because she spent the majority of her time on a film set, naturally that's where all her friendships stemmed from.

To respond to Jason's comments a bit further, yes, some actors will marry someone based on their partner's accomplishments. But, really, how is that any different from half of the world's population? However, just because other actors marry an actress, it's not because they're doing it out of said status or accomplishments, it's because those people are really the only friends they have while they're filming.

Can anyone find me an example of an actress who dated a PA on set? Hehe
Jason00S2000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2012, 08:58 AM   #70
Banned By Establishment
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: bedroom
Posts: 3,112
Thanked 3,492 Times in 1,176 Posts
Celeb and non-celeb couples:

1. Matt Damon and Luciana Bozan Barroso (she was a bartender)
2. Marcia Cross and Tom Mahoney (he is a stockbroker)
3. Patrick Dempsey and Jillian Fink (she worked at a hair salon)
4. Cynthia Nixon and Christine Marinoni (she was a public school activist)
5. Charlie Sheen and wife Brooke Mueller (she worked in real estate)
6. Eric Bana and Rebecca Gleeson (she was a publicist)
7. Julia Roberts and Danny Moder (cameraman)
8. Ethan Hawke and Ryan Shawhughes (don't know)
9. Jeff Bridges and Susan Geston (waitress)
10. Tobey Maguire and Jennifer Meyer (makes jewelry)
11. Reese Witherspoon and JIm Toth (Agent)
12. Robert DeNiro and Grace Hightower (flight attendant)
13. Conan O'Brien and wife Liza (copy writer)
14. Chris O'Donnell and Caroline Fentress (teacher)
15 Nicolas Cage and Alice Kim (waitress)
15. Jason Schwartzman and Brady Cunningham (dont know)
16. Noah Wyle and Tracy Warbin (make-up artist)

And I am sure there are hundreds more.

You guys need to stop bickering...you guys will never win with Jason00s2000....didn't you know he lives downtown and knows EVERYTHING about women?
dinosaur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2012, 09:36 AM   #71
My homepage has been set to RS
 
drunkrussian's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: Vancouver
Posts: 2,308
Thanked 824 Times in 340 Posts
^a lot of these people are agents, hair dressers, publicists and others in the industry. Could it be that celebrities don't marry other celebrities because of status but because they have no time to date and therefore if they ever find love, it's at the place they spend all their time at - their work? could that be the same reason why a lot of the above list are publicists etc.?

i personally am not bickering. i enjoy going back and forth with people with a differing opinion, on a variety of matters. even when i know they're stubborn and i wont "win" - that's not really the goal anyway. i don't go and call people bitches for constantly going on rs just to talk about the latest thing in china or bitching about whatever prices in vancouver are high at the moment. Actually i sometimes do...
drunkrussian is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 07-06-2012, 09:51 AM   #72
Banned By Establishment
 
Gridlock's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2003
Location: New West
Posts: 3,998
Thanked 2,982 Times in 1,135 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by dinosaur View Post
You guys need to stop bickering...you guys will never win with Jason00s2000....didn't you know he lives downtown and knows EVERYTHING about women?
Is there a book or something I could purchase that details these exploits?
Gridlock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2012, 10:37 AM   #73
Banned By Establishment
 
Join Date: Apr 2001
Location: Vancouver
Posts: 5,378
Thanked 435 Times in 189 Posts
We could go back and forth all day. I don't know each couple to find out how good looking the women are and exactly how the couples met.

It's safe to say that to even meet elite-level status people, you already need to have some way of meeting them that requires, guess what, status. How are you going to get close to where actors, musicians, and pro-sports players go? How will you get their attention? It's not like they are hurting for dates, people are lined up to date them.

If Revscene guys want to hold onto the fantasy that they have a chance of getting Mila's attention, I won't ruin it for you guys anymore.
Jason00S2000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2012, 11:01 AM   #74
I answer every Emotion with an emoticon
 
sonick's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Location: Revscene
Posts: 7,788
Thanked 5,400 Times in 1,715 Posts
Successful women looking for successful/accomplished men is one thing, but you were saying the opposite, which is ENTIRELY different:

Quote:
How many successful men want to date a woman who has never accomplished anything?
Plenty of successful men date/marry dumb, dense, shallow women who accomplish nothing with their lives except look hot, spread their legs, and spend her husbands' money.
__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by skyxx View Post
Sonick is a genius. I won't go into detail what's so great about his post. But it's damn good!
2009 BMW 128i - Daily Driver
2007 Toyota Rav4 Sport V6 - Wifey's Daily Driver
1999 Mazda Miata - Sold
2003 Mazda Protege5 - Sold
1987 BMW 325is - Sold
1990 Mazda Miata - Sold

100% Buy and Sell Feedback
sonick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2012, 11:02 AM   #75
I subscribe to Revscene
 
DC5-S's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: Vancouver
Posts: 1,940
Thanked 320 Times in 123 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by drunkrussian View Post
actually mila kunis has a roommate. The roommate is a regular guy and he's gay - he's not a famous person or rich. She goes out with him a lot and he's her bff.

now who's to say she wouldn't date a normal guy as well? Perhaps someone who she would meet through the bff who's in the same circle of friends?

point number 2 - if you actually read the article, in it she states that she wants to date online if she could. Will she be selective and pick someone attractive, normal and sane? Yes. Will it be a celebrity? I highly doubt it. Will it be someone of her status? Hell no. Key word is "normal" - the fact that she wants to date online proves she wants someone normal.

again, i dunno much about mila kunis and i do agree with your about status in general. I just think your points are based on easy to make, obvious and extreme assumptions. Just like the guy in this thread who talked about status and how it exists more in western than eastern culture (which is a bunch of bullshit). Anyone can make a blanket statement based off a madeup assumption based off a stereotype.
How do you know so much about her? CREEP. You must be one of those crazy psychopathic stalkers that breaks into celebs houses to do disgusting god forsaken things.
DC5-S is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are Off



All times are GMT -8. The time now is 02:43 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2020, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
SEO by vBSEO ©2011, Crawlability, Inc.
Revscene.net cannot be held accountable for the actions of its members nor does the opinions of the members represent that of Revscene.net