REVscene - Vancouver Automotive Forum

Welcome to the REVscene Automotive Forum forums.

Registration is Free!You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today! The banners on the left side and below do not show for registered users!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   REVscene Automotive Forum > Automotive Chat > Vancouver Off-Topic / Current Events

Vancouver Off-Topic / Current Events The off-topic forum for Vancouver, funnies, non-auto centered discussions, WORK SAFE. While the rules are more relaxed here, there are still rules. Please refer to sticky thread in this forum.

Old 07-03-2012, 07:22 PM   #51
RS Veteran

Thanked 10,508 Times in 4,310 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by geeknerd View Post
Looking for Freestyle though
That's exactly what I have.
Advertisement

Her car even smelled nice. Like a mixture of luxury perfume and a hint of….. vag ? Fish sauce ? Something a bit dank
bcrdukes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2012, 07:27 PM   #52
RS controls my life!

Quote:
Originally Posted by bcrdukes View Post
No, this is not true.

Most "fixies" have the ability to freewheel and have brakes.

True fixies dont have brakes nor the ability to freewheel. These are dedicated track bikes and are unsafe for the road.
I always consider a fixie to be a fixed gear, as in the pedals never stop. A one gear is simply a bike with one gear. You can always get a flip flop hub. I've made my own one gear for like 200$. Gave it to a friend though. They're the easiest bikes to make yourself. All you need is a decent frame then go nuts!
Everymans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2012, 09:39 PM   #53
Wunder? Wonder?? Wander???

Unless everyone doesn't want Metro Vancouver to grow any more and can think of a good way of turning away migrants to the area, then we're all going to have to change our transportation habits. Density is only going to increase, while roads built for cars within the city are already at maximum capacity.

Within the city of Vancouver, they have made a strategic decisions since the 60s to not build freeways and to not invest in infrastructure that supports single-vehicle lifestyle: Think of how many car lanes have been eliminated over the years on major thoroughfares: Cambie st from bridge to Marine Dr, Burrard st, Downtown. And soon, the viaducts will be gone. The city is metering parking everywhere to discourage full-day parking --> commuting by car. the writing is on the wall.

Everyone's got to sacrifice for the good of the region. Some will realize it and adapt, while others are going to grumble and whine about it.

Cycling is an incredibly efficient way of getting around the city, plus you get exercise while you're at it. It's way better than transit. I love my car, but I love my bikes too.

Re: fixies... you young ones can go for these until your knees give out.

If you like your cars to handle, accelerate and brake well and that preference translates to bikes, get a road bike. If you value comfort and some efficiency, get a hybrid. If you need to venture off-road, get a mountain bike. If you want style, but like walking up hills, get a beach cruiser for the seawall.
chunk_stir is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 07-03-2012, 11:32 PM   #54
I contribute to threads in the offtopic forum

Quote:
No, this is not true.

Most "fixies" have the ability to freewheel and have brakes.

True fixies dont have brakes nor the ability to freewheel. These are dedicated track bikes and are unsafe for the road.
Those "fixes" that can freewheel + brakes are called single speed.

If you call a bike fixes...it is a fixed gear bike. No buts. Lots of hipsters ride them...you skid and slide to stop. They take more skill to ride in the city...as you need way more distance to stop.
Old 07-04-2012, 08:42 AM   #55
reads most threads with his pants around his ankles, especially in the Forced Induction forum.

Thanked 2,191 Times in 1,131 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by chunk_stir View Post
Unless everyone doesn't want Metro Vancouver to grow any more and can think of a good way of turning away migrants to the area, then we're all going to have to change our transportation habits. Density is only going to increase, while roads built for cars within the city are already at maximum capacity.

Within the city of Vancouver, they have made a strategic decisions since the 60s to not build freeways and to not invest in infrastructure that supports single-vehicle lifestyle: Think of how many car lanes have been eliminated over the years on major thoroughfares: Cambie st from bridge to Marine Dr, Burrard st, Downtown. And soon, the viaducts will be gone. The city is metering parking everywhere to discourage full-day parking --> commuting by car. the writing is on the wall.

Everyone's got to sacrifice for the good of the region. Some will realize it and adapt, while others are going to grumble and whine about it.

Cycling is an incredibly efficient way of getting around the city, plus you get exercise while you're at it. It's way better than transit. I love my car, but I love my bikes too.

Re: fixies... you young ones can go for these until your knees give out.

If you like your cars to handle, accelerate and brake well and that preference translates to bikes, get a road bike. If you value comfort and some efficiency, get a hybrid. If you need to venture off-road, get a mountain bike. If you want style, but like walking up hills, get a beach cruiser for the seawall.
Biking is good only if YOU ARE close by. Where I live it will take hours to bike in. What about ppl in Surrey. coquiltam or even Burnaby? Not a very effiecent way to go about. Improving transit is much much better.

Just this morning I have to wait for 3 skytrains before I can get on coz some smartass from transit decided it was a good idea to use short skytrains during rush hours. Ppl were piss lol. I just push and shove my way in coz I am not waiting for a 4th skytrain.
Mr.HappySilp is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 07-04-2012, 10:54 AM   #56
RS has made me the bitter person i am today!

Thanked 2,463 Times in 1,127 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr.HappySilp View Post
Biking is good only if YOU ARE close by. Where I live it will take hours to bike in. What about ppl in Surrey. coquiltam or even Burnaby? Not a very effiecent way to go about. Improving transit is much much better.

Just this morning I have to wait for 3 skytrains before I can get on coz some smartass from transit decided it was a good idea to use short skytrains during rush hours. Ppl were piss lol. I just push and shove my way in coz I am not waiting for a 4th skytrain.
It sounds like you live by a Skytrain station, so you should know that the Central Valley Greenway is great dedicated bike path that links New West, Burnaby, and Vancouver. Or there is the old BC Pathway which runs along the Expo Line.

Cycling infrastruture is definitely decent in Burnaby too with traffic calming devices, etc though the city has a long way to go to catch up to Vancouver.

As long as you live north of the Fraser, cycle commuting east and west is definitely viable. However, cycle commuting between suburbs north and south of the Fraser is definitely a gong-show right now.
Tapioca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2012, 02:25 PM   #57
reads most threads with his pants around his ankles, especially in the Forced Induction forum.

Thanked 2,191 Times in 1,131 Posts
^^ The thing I don't like about the bike lanes is that it can only be use 3 to 4months out of a year. So the ppl who bikes will either still drive to work or take the tranist when the weather is crappy. Why not improve puble transit first so it benfits the most of the people first then work on bike lanes.
Mr.HappySilp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2012, 03:08 PM   #58

Quote:
^^ The thing I don't like about the bike lanes is that it can only be use 3 to 4months out of a year. So the ppl who bikes will either still drive to work or take the tranist when the weather is crappy. Why not improve puble transit first so it benfits the most of the people first then work on bike lanes.
The cost of building bike lanes is minimal compared to the costs of public transit. If we want public transit, we have to be prepared to pay for it, but no one wants to pay. Even if you can get people off the road and on their bikes for 3 months of the year, it means 3 months of lower than normal traffic congestion.

You may be a fairweather rider, but there are plenty who brave the rain and still bike to get around.
Old 07-04-2012, 08:30 PM   #59
Wunder? Wonder?? Wander???

My understanding is that the bike lanes are mostly funded by individual municipalities. eg. Vancouver, Burnaby, Coquitlam, Richmond, Surrey, Langley, etc each decide how they will invest in their transportation infrastructure. I live in Vancouver and commute within vancouver. that's why my comments support bicycling. If you're coming in from south of the fraser, that's a different story. Of course transit is a better option if you need to get to the city. I don't disagree that transit should be an investment in the burbs, but the way they have the cities of Surrey and Langley are not conducive to mass transit. There just isn't enough density.

If you're in surrey/langley and you're complaining about how Vancouver is investing in bike lanes, it really is an irrelevant complaint. The city of Vancouver funds the bike lanes from the taxpayer base of the residents of Vancouver, not Surrey and langley. But translink is funded by all the municipalities, so transit in the region is something all cities should be concerned about increasing. But different municipalities are at different phases in their development to support investment in rapid transit.

It's catch-22. Translink won't put in mass rapid transit if there is no ridership. And cities can only encourage so much development and densification that supports the ridership required.
chunk_stir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2012, 11:10 PM   #60
Banned (ABWS)

I ran over a cyclist today going 40k and didn't look back. I think my groin area was hardened and enlarged right after. Pretty fucked up eh?
Doubledown1 is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 07-04-2012, 11:23 PM   #61
resident Oil Guru

Thanked 10,457 Times in 1,794 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by firebird79_00 View Post
fuck cyclists
Quote:
Originally Posted by Doubledown1 View Post
I ran over a cyclist today going 40k and didn't look back. I think my groin area was hardened and enlarged right after. Pretty fucked up eh?
LiquidTurbo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2012, 11:56 PM   #62
My homepage has been set to RS

In pedestrian/cyclist-controlled light crossings, I'm starting to see cyclists really racing to make it across even after the hand has stopped flashing and they do make it, barely. But they have to enter the intersection at speed in order to zip through in time. This is problematic for two reasons:

1) Since no one has a protected right of way, pedestrians, cyclists, and drivers are interacting in the same space. If someone makes an honest mistake, you leave very little room for error.

2) Drivers turning right (or left) don't have 360 degree vision inside the vehicle. Whether you like it or not, it's a fact that they have to turn their heads one way and then the other. In that time, you are creating ideal conditions to not be seen by the driver. They also have the right to use that space, so remember, just because you can see the car's headlights, it doesn't mean the driver can see you.

In these situations, the takeaway is look out, make yourself visible, make eye contact, and most importantly, all players need to slow the fuck down. Speed by anyone is a recipe for disaster in these highly-ambiguous, poorly-designed areas.

I'm motivated to write this cuz of the gong-show close call I saw today as I was waiting to cross the same intersection by foot. The disturbing part of all this was the cyclist had a pissed off look on her face as she rode by me, as if the stupid car was in her way. Meanwhile, the driver was wondering where she came from. Later, I saw someone else do the same thing, but this time at least, he waived his hand in the air to make sure he was visible as another car approached simultaneously. High Entitlement vs High Road IQ.

Quote:
Perhaps I over exaggerated my post. What I meant to say is, people should be aware of their surroundings and be accountable for their actions and decisions. There is no right or wrong.
We're not choosing colors on a birthday cake. Of course there's a right or wrong. Throw that opinion shit out the window. The road is a system of interactions. All behavior leads to good and bad consequences, and we can analyze that. The last thing we need is to give the lowest common denominator the authority to determine which rules to follow and when.
goo3 is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 07-05-2012, 12:36 AM   #63
I bringith the lowerballerith

Quote:
That's exactly what I have.
yours is a nice bike but im looking for more on the bmx side, 26" wheels, trickster bar, strap pedals etc.

Still looking for a store / online catalogue site where i can get something like that !
geeknerd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2012, 01:52 AM   #64
Banned (ABWS)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doubledown1 View Post
We need more people with this kind of mentality.
Over9K is offline   Reply With Quote
This post FAILED by:
Old 07-05-2012, 06:38 AM   #65

Quote:
Originally Posted by chunk_stir View Post

If you're in surrey/langley and you're complaining about how Vancouver is investing in bike lanes, it really is an irrelevant complaint. The city of Vancouver funds the bike lanes from the taxpayer base of the residents of Vancouver, not Surrey and langley. But translink is funded by all the municipalities, so transit in the region is something all cities should be concerned about increasing. But different municipalities are at different phases in their development to support investment in rapid transit.
You're absolutely right that it's an irrelevant complaint.

The issue of bikes vs. cars is unfortunately an ideological issue. People see the promotion of bike culture and the expansion of bike infrastructure at the expense of roads as an attack on their core beliefs - namely that the car is the ultimate symbol of freedom and status. Heck, I can empathize with this being a car enthusiast myself (well in the Euro-snob sense.) But, the writing is certainly on the wall because of higher fuel prices into the foreseeable future.
Old 07-05-2012, 07:50 AM   #66
Willing to sell body for a few minutes on RS

Thanked 4,800 Times in 1,764 Posts
Quote:
Biking is good only if YOU ARE close by.
I'd bike to work, but it would take me over an hour each way. By car it's 12 mnutes.

Plus I need my car for work, on the chance I need to go visit a jobsite, customer etc... I don't think my work would go for paying me 2 hours of "bike travel" time.

It's great to try things to get cars off the road, but for some people it's just not practical. The idea that the hippies seem to have that EVERYONE can just switch to biking or taking mass transit is rediculous.
2014 F150 5.0L XTR 4x4

A vehicle for all occasions
Great68 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2012, 08:14 AM   #67
Revscene.net has a homepage?!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Great68 View Post
I'd bike to work, but it would take me over an hour each way. By car it's 12 mnutes.

Plus I need my car for work, on the chance I need to go visit a jobsite, customer etc... I don't think my work would go for paying me 2 hours of "bike travel" time.

It's great to try things to get cars off the road, but for some people it's just not practical. The idea that the hippies seem to have that EVERYONE can just switch to biking or taking mass transit is rediculous.

I don't think anyone expects everyone to bike or take mass transit? Not sure where you got that notion from, the goal is to get the people who can bike or take mass transit to do just that, so there is less congestion for the people who absolutely need their vehicles. I have recently transitioned from driving to work, to biking to work and find i hate commuting via vehicle to work, the traffic just makes me angry. Meanwhile on my bike i am calm, and get some exercise.
twixxer is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 07-05-2012, 08:15 AM   #68
Banned (ABWS)

I'm gonna run over MINDBOMBER if i can just track down his route.
Doubledown1 is offline   Reply With Quote
This post FAILED by: