REVscene - Vancouver Automotive Forum

Welcome to the REVscene Automotive Forum forums.

Registration is Free!You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today! The banners on the left side and below do not show for registered users!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   REVscene Automotive Forum > Automotive Chat > Vancouver Off-Topic / Current Events

Vancouver Off-Topic / Current Events The off-topic forum for Vancouver, funnies, non-auto centered discussions, WORK SAFE. While the rules are more relaxed here, there are still rules. Please refer to sticky thread in this forum.

Old 07-01-2012, 08:23 AM   #26
I only answer to my username, my real name is Irrelevant!

Thanked 10,380 Times in 3,906 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by SkinnyPupp View Post
One thing the "anti bike" people aren't considering is that sooner or later, cities are going to have to eliminate as many cars as they can. Oil is just getting too expensive, and the air is just getting too shitty to live in.

For the last 6 years I have been living in a city with awesome public transportation. You really don't need a car to live here at all, and it is awesome. I barely miss having a car - the only thing I really miss is road trips.

Anyway, my point is, it would be SO much better if it had good cycling infrastructure to go along with the good public transport. If that is the way Vancouver and other cities are going, that is a GOOD thing, not a bad thing, trust me.
you dont have a car???? dont you live out in the boonies?
Advertisement
StylinRed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2012, 08:48 AM   #27
Hacked RS to become a mod

Thanked 23,809 Times in 8,186 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by StylinRed View Post
you dont have a car???? dont you live out in the boonies?
Yes and I have like 10 different mini bus routes that go by, to take me to various parts of Kowloon or the nearest MTR station in 5-10 minutes.
SkinnyPupp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2012, 09:10 AM   #28
...in the world.

Thanked 7,636 Times in 2,321 Posts
Am I supposed to care about people in the Fraser Valley? That's news to me.
Ronin is offline   Reply With Quote
This post FAILED by:
Old 07-01-2012, 09:33 AM   #29

Let's celebrate Canada Day! What a great country we live in!

Except everyone outside GVRD. They all suck.
This post thanked by:
This post FAILED by:
Old 07-01-2012, 01:34 PM   #30
RS controls my life!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maliuz View Post
Is it just me, or does anyone else get freaking pissed off that there's not a single person on that sidewalk yet he chose to stick on the road causing a hazard to everyone including himself and whoever is in that carriage.

Yes I know it's illegal to ride on the sidewalk, but not illegal to ride like you own the fucking road and don't have to give a fuck about 2 ton metal objects travelling beside you.

Sorry for my rage, just had an encounter with these king of the road riders today.
Pedestrians get mad when cyclists ride on the sidewalk, drivers get mad when they ride on the road? Where the hell can they ride? And judging from the video, the trailer was probably used as a storage device. Plenty of can collecters use it as a well.. can Collecter. And from the video, buddy didn't really show any signs that he owned the road. He was in the correct lane, doing the correct thing(albeit he was going WAYYYY too fast for what his bike was capable of.) If buddy was in the middle lane and doing this then there is plenty of reason to rage. But It's very rare to encounter the extreme imperialistic douchenozzles that honestly believe they can ride in any lane they wish despite the traffic laws.
Everymans is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 07-01-2012, 02:36 PM   #31
reads most threads with his pants around his ankles, especially in the Forced Induction forum.

Thanked 2,191 Times in 1,131 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by SkinnyPupp View Post
One thing the "anti bike" people aren't considering is that sooner or later, cities are going to have to eliminate as many cars as they can. Oil is just getting too expensive, and the air is just getting too shitty to live in.

For the last 6 years I have been living in a city with awesome public transportation. You really don't need a car to live here at all, and it is awesome. I barely miss having a car - the only thing I really miss is road trips.

Anyway, my point is, it would be SO much better if it had good cycling infrastructure to go along with the good public transport. If that is the way Vancouver and other cities are going, that is a GOOD thing, not a bad thing, trust me.
Well Vancouver in general have shitty public transit. Not to mention in HK there are so many different types of public trnasit to use here in Vancouver there is skytrain and bus and maybe west coast express if you live in coq.

Also the bus here comes every 10 to 15mins during rush hour and off peak is it abotu 20 to 30mins that's not going to cut it.
Mr.HappySilp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2012, 02:48 PM   #32
RS Veteran

Thanked 10,496 Times in 4,303 Posts
I won't speak for everybody but I will speak up as a motorist, motorcyclist, and cyclist myself.

I personally have 10+ years of driving experience, 7 of which include motorcycling. I recently started cycling as well. Given my years of experience, I have completed defensive driving courses and a motorcycling course.

Given that I am all three, I'm constantly thinking about how others feel from each perspective. As a cyclist, I won't ride on non-designated bike routes nor will I ride on the sidewalk. Why? Because it pisses people off, both drivers and pedestrians. That and it's extremely dangerous to myself. I am a walking, living, ready-to-be human crayon to be shredded onto the pavement by a car or truck. I always follow rules of the road for this reason. If there's a stop sign or red light, you better believe I am going to stop and wait until it's green or safe to cross the intersection.

Why others don't do this? I don't know. Perhaps a lack of education? Ignorance of the rules of the road? They want to prove something at a very extreme degree? I can't answer this and I can't speak for these people. But as a motorist, motorcyclist and cyclist, you better believe I am scared to shit when I'm on the road because everybody and everything is a hazard around me. People who have taken a course with Pacific Riding School can and will agree.

As for the cycling infrastructure in Vancouver/Burnaby/Richmond - I have to say, we have it pretty good. There is a lot of support for bicycling as it is but it can always be better. The dedicated bike routes are excellent and allow cyclists to travel from Point A to B in a safe and efficient manner. I would suggest people to take the time and to look at the city-published maps for cycling routes, even if you don't ride a bicycle. You will be surprised to see the amount of streets set aside to accommodate cyclists. People use them but it's unfortunate when people who choose to ignore these dedicated bike routes end up taking valuable road space on major arterial roadways creating dangerous scenarios.

The example in the video posted by E-40six clearly shows the man who rode with the trailer should have chosen a better street/route to ride his bicycle on. He was lucky he didn't get crushed by an 18-wheeler truck because it could have very well happened. Had he gone over a few blocks west of Knight, he could have ridden on a dedicated bike path on Inverness Street, preventing the block up of traffic and his to-be death.

Lack of education on rules of the road or ignorance? You decide.

As for Hipsters on Main Street -

Her car even smelled nice. Like a mixture of luxury perfume and a hint of….. vag ? Fish sauce ? Something a bit dank

Last edited by bcrdukes; 07-01-2012 at 03:00 PM.
bcrdukes is online now   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 07-01-2012, 03:50 PM   #33
J89
RS controls my life!

YOLO.

If it's safe to cross with no cars in sight I don't see why riding across at a stop light is a bad thing.
If by chance God forbid my mistake and judge wrong, and get cremed by a car than thats that I guess.
But living life abiding every single law scared shitless that something might happen to me is not a life I choose to live.

But I guess everyone has different views so I can't say you're wrong or right, all I know is a respect how you think because it's completely different from my views.

Lack of education or ignorance?..neither.

Last edited by J89; 07-01-2012 at 04:01 PM.
J89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2012, 05:17 PM   #34
RS Veteran

Perhaps I over exaggerated my post. What I meant to say is, people should be aware of their surroundings and be accountable for their actions and decisions. There is no right or wrong.
This post thanked by:
Old 07-01-2012, 07:45 PM   #35

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr.HappySilp View Post
Well Vancouver in general have shitty public transit. Not to mention in HK there are so many different types of public trnasit to use here in Vancouver there is skytrain and bus and maybe west coast express if you live in coq.

Also the bus here comes every 10 to 15mins during rush hour and off peak is it abotu 20 to 30mins that's not going to cut it.
That's part of what has to change as well. Hong Kong shows that a city can depend greatly on public transit. It has to go that way anyway, I just hope that they can stick to the cycling focus as well, despite the bad press it gets, and the annoying cunts who ruin it for everyone.
This post thanked by:
Old 07-02-2012, 01:19 AM   #36
I bringith the lowerballerith

Where can I buy a freestyle fixie in vancouver? any local shops with a well catalogued website to browse through? any other canadian sites? thanks.
geeknerd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2012, 01:28 AM   #37
VLS Moderator

Thanked 2,591 Times in 832 Posts
Just found this little bike shop in Chinatown.

jett grrl bike studio, vancouver – custom bikes – steel and titanium – road, fixed gear/fixie, touring, single speed, randonneuring
R.I.P. 1989 Acura Legend Coupe LS.
Senna4ever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2012, 02:14 AM   #38
RS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by geeknerd View Post
Where can I buy a freestyle fixie in vancouver? any local shops with a well catalogued website to browse through? any other canadian sites? thanks.
I've got a 2010 Kona Bandwagon in 54cm for sale if you're interested.

Her car even smelled nice. Like a mixture of luxury perfume and a hint of….. vag ? Fish sauce ? Something a bit dank
Old 07-02-2012, 03:36 AM   #39

Suitable name for a fixie
Old 07-02-2012, 06:39 AM   #40
RabidMod

Thanked 1,083 Times in 405 Posts
^ LOL

Aren't fixies unsafe as fuck also? They don't have brakes right?

Quote:
Originally Posted by E-40six View Post
Did someone say biking close to a bridge?

Biker bails on knight st - YouTube

Holy fuck I hope that wasn't a kid in the back.
Old 07-02-2012, 10:50 AM   #41
RS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by RabidRat View Post
Aren't fixies unsafe as fuck also? They don't have brakes right?
No, this is not true.

Most "fixies" have the ability to freewheel and have brakes.

True fixies dont have brakes nor the ability to freewheel. These are dedicated track bikes and are unsafe for the road.

Old 07-02-2012, 11:44 AM   #42

I'm in the camp where

If I'm biking I hate motorists, if I'm driving I hate bikers.

Overall I'm for it - it's a great way to get healthy, explore the city and reduce carbon emissions.

You can tell the City of Vancouver is trying to help this purpose with the bike lanes and also with the proposed rental bike sharing system for next year. It's just too bad that they have to impose the mandatory helmet bylaw in order to rent a bike from the system. I can see this as a downfall.
Old 07-02-2012, 12:02 PM   #43
I *heart* Revscene.net very Muchie

It's a huge liability if they don't impose a helmet policy. Whether or not people actually wear one and how strictly it will be enforced is up for debate.
Old 07-02-2012, 01:32 PM   #44
Ready to be Man handled by RS!

Love riding my road bike around downtown core. Super fast, concenient, no parking issues, etc.
Ivan Petrovich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2012, 05:31 PM   #45
I subscribe to Revscene

checked that place out...asked for a quote for a bike and it's expensive as fooock. i think i was ballparked at $1,500+ for the average build...for a steel bike. you can go down a couple blocks to strada cycles and pick up a bianchi pista for that kind of coin.
dat_steve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2012, 07:31 PM   #46
RS Veteran

^
That shop is a total rip off.

And to boot, the Bianchi Pista is far too expensive for what they are. Low end house-brand parts at an extreme premium.

Old 07-02-2012, 07:45 PM   #47
Banned (ABWS)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tapioca View Post

Taking the bus is for losers. Besides, I didn't leave Hong Kong just so that I would have to continue taking a bus or the Crime-Train.

- I hate
Are you serious? I drive everyday myself, so taking the bus is for losers eh? Why don't you go the fuck back to your Hong Kong w/ your shit fucking attitude.
Doubledown1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2012, 04:07 AM   #48

Looking for Freestyle though
geeknerd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2012, 06:36 AM   #49
resident Oil Guru

Thanked 10,457 Times in 1,794 Posts
It's good for Vancouver to trend to biking infrastructure. A modern city has biking infrastructure. If you want 9 line car highways, move to Texas/LA. As a driver myself (80% of the time), I WANT to see more biking lanes, as I believe it's better for traffic.

As for the arguments about rain in Vancouver, c'mon, if there are showers at a destination, it's no big deal. People walk in the rain all the time.
LiquidTurbo is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 07-03-2012, 06:22 PM   #50
RS.net, helping ugly ppl have sex since 2001

Thanked 2,558 Times in 925 Posts
With transit fares soon to increase, I have a feeling that vancouver is going to be like amsterdam with many coffee shops and many bicycles in the city. (Vansterdam)

Mike Oxbig is offline   Reply With Quote