REVscene - Vancouver Automotive Forum

Welcome to the REVscene Automotive Forum forums.

Registration is Free!You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today! The banners on the left side and below do not show for registered users!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   REVscene Automotive Forum > Automotive Chat > Vancouver Auto Chat

Vancouver Auto Chat 2016 VAC Community Head Moderator: Raid3n

Old 07-26-2012, 03:40 AM   #76
Marcosexual Fan Club, CEO

Quote:
Originally Posted by 91civicZC View Post
Speed is completely relative to conditions, car setup, driving ability, and surrounding vehicles. There is no way to say “160 isn’t that fast”.
It isn't. I've driven all over the world, and extensively in Europe. Between cities, I usually find 160-190km/h to be a good, safe cruising speed.
Advertisement
Old 07-26-2012, 03:43 AM   #77

Quote:
Originally Posted by AzNightmare View Post
If one driver suddenly needs to stop, chances are, the drivers behind won't be able to stop in time. logically, more cars mean more damage if something happens.

Also the psychological factor that when a bunch of friends are driving together, whether racing or just "spirit driving", they'll push each other to go faster than cruising alone.
Distance / speed / time. All are related. If you keep enough distance between cars relative to your reaction time, the speed the cars are travelling at is inconsequential.
Old 07-26-2012, 04:34 AM   #78
I WANT MY 10 YEARS BACK FROM RS.net!

Thanked 12,136 Times in 3,361 Posts
I can't imagine how bad-ass it is to get busted street-racing Mom's Explorer...
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brianrietta View Post
Not a sebberry post goes by where I don't frown and think to myself "so..?"
Soundy is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 07-26-2012, 09:50 AM   #79
The RS Freebie guru

Thanked 2,491 Times in 860 Posts
Although it's not a popular opinion around here, I'll chime in and say that 160kmph in itself isn't that big of a deal. You can drive dangerously at 80kmph, and drive safely at 160kmph.

In this particular case, if those four friends weren't actually trying to race and outdo each other and were actually just cruising along at 160kmph on the open highway where there is no traffic, I doubt they were putting themselves or anyone else at any more significant risk of harm than if they were cruising at 120kmph. It's all based on circumstances though. If they were doing this with significant traffic and weaving in and out to maintain their speed, that's a different story.

I don't know about others, but when I drive faster, I put myself on higher alert and increase my margins of error. Just the simple fact of driving 160kmph, even in a group, doesn't necessarily mean they were driving dangerously and/or recklessly.
InvisibleSoul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2012, 11:03 AM   #80
F**K YOUR HEAD

Thanked 8,153 Times in 1,251 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by InvisibleSoul View Post
I don't know about others, but when I drive faster, I put myself on higher alert and increase my margins of error. Just the simple fact of driving 160kmph, even in a group, doesn't necessarily mean they were driving dangerously and/or recklessly.
Definitely agree with you about the awareness when you're driving, heck going 130 in my miata makes me pay closer attention because of all the sounds and feel you're getting behind the wheel. In the 997TT however, 160 is leaning on the throttle for a few seconds and you're definitely more disconnected because the car is so much more capable at those speeds.
ilvtofu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2012, 01:30 PM   #81
Banned By Establishment

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marco911 View Post
It isn't. I've driven all over the world, and extensively in Europe. Between cities, I usually find 160-190km/h to be a good, safe cruising speed.
The only place that I have found that this can be true most of the time is on the German Autobahns. Not sure which countries you have driven in but in almost all of the countries that I have been to, most drivers are simply not skilled or trained enough to make split second decisions and even if you are the most skilled driver, that can be very dangerous!

I suggest all of you to watch this short documentary about the Autobahn, the amount of money that is spent on maintaining the roads is just unbelievable!

Last edited by vahidpooyan; 07-26-2012 at 01:35 PM.
vahidpooyan is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 07-26-2012, 02:51 PM   #82
I told him no, what y'all do?

Thanked 5,812 Times in 2,501 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by 91civicZC View Post
Speed is completely relative to conditions, car setup, driving ability, and surrounding vehicles. There is no way to say “160 isn’t that fast”.
Quote:

Quote:
Greenstoner
1 rat shit ruins the whole congee
originalhypa
You cannot live the life of a whore and expect a monument to your chastity
Quote:
[22-12, 08:51]mellomandidnt think and went in straight..scrapped like a bitch
[17-09, 12:07]FastAnna glowjob
[17-09, 12:08]FastAnna I like dat

GLOW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2012, 03:04 PM   #83
My homepage has been set to RS

Thanked 2,657 Times in 543 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by SkinnyPupp View Post
imo anyone caught speeding to the point where they get their car impounded should be deported from the country. If their parents can't teach them how to be normal citizens, they can live somewhere where the authorities look the other way.
That's a bit harsh, as there are a lot of roads around here that have a posted speed limit that is way too low for the condition/design of the road and the traffic flow there is constantly 20-30km/h faster than the speed limit.

370z Build Thread
E92 328xi Build Thread
NA6 Miata (Budget) Build Thread

Current: 09 370z, 07 E92 328xi, 16 R6
Past: 09 Civic Hybrid, 93 EG Si, 94 Integra GSR, 02 WRX, 99 NB Miata, 01 E46 325ci, 90 NA Miata, 03 CBR600RR
Limitless is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 07-26-2012, 03:10 PM   #84
y'all better put some respeck on my name

Thanked 9,244 Times in 2,359 Posts
On the subject of deporting...

"The 'Faster Removal of Foreign Criminals Act' targets any immigrants convicted of crimes and sentenced from 6 months to 2 years. Currently those criminals can appeal deportation orders but will no longer be able to do so when the new legislation comes into effect.

Read more: New Canadian law designed to give immigrant criminals the boot
Harvey Specter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2012, 05:22 PM   #85

Quote:
Although it's not a popular opinion around here, I'll chime in and say that 160kmph in itself isn't that big of a deal. You can drive dangerously at 80kmph, and drive safely at 160kmph.

In this particular case, if those four friends weren't actually trying to race and outdo each other and were actually just cruising along at 160kmph on the open highway where there is no traffic, I doubt they were putting themselves or anyone else at any more significant risk of harm than if they were cruising at 120kmph. It's all based on circumstances though. If they were doing this with significant traffic and weaving in and out to maintain their speed, that's a different story.
You're not familiar with this stretch of road, are you?

This is 47km of road construction. There are places where you go from smooth new pavement to broken up old pavement; there are angled pavement transitions; there are lots of areas where the lanes do a sudden jog left or right as you transition from old road to new road to temporary road; there are sections where the lane markings are unclear, further muddled by remnants of old lane lines. There are sections where "construction exits" split off into the center median and if you're not watching, you could go straight into the end of a jersey barrier or off into the dirt.

Anyone remember that story from a year or two ago, the BMW that was doing over 140 east of the Port Mann and ran full speed into the back end of a stopped construction truck?

When you're doing that speed, even a small bump can send you airborne, and when your tires aren't on the ground, you have ZERO control - I don't care whether you're weaving or not.

160 may not be a big deal on a GOOD road in GOOD condition with no surprises. Highway 1 between Langley and the North Shore does not fit ANY of those descriptions. Go back and look at the threads that pop up every time there are major changes to lanes and exits - like when they shifted the 152nd exit to the left lanes, and then back again. Things are changing daily on this stretch of highway. You could have driven the road three days ago and not be prepared for what it's like today.
Quote:
This post thanked by:
This post FAILED by:
Old 07-26-2012, 06:31 PM   #86
y'all better put some respeck on my name

Thanked 9,244 Times in 2,359 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by vahidpooyan View Post
The only place that I have found that this can be true most of the time is on the German Autobahns. Not sure which countries you have driven in but in almost all of the countries that I have been to, most drivers are simply not skilled or trained enough to make split second decisions and even if you are the most skilled driver, that can be very dangerous!

I suggest all of you to watch this short documentary about the Autobahn, the amount of money that is spent on maintaining the roads is just unbelievable!

THE AUTOBAHN- THE GERMAN HIGHWAY *HQ* - YouTube
I read a thread over on the BMW forum of some guy who took advantage of picking up his car at the BMW headquarters and driving it around for a few days before having it shipped over and he said the biggest danger on the autobahn is traffic jams and getting disoriented by the high rate of speed. You're basically doing well over 150+ and all of a sudden you start seeing brake lights but you don't realize how fast you're going and you're too late putting your brakes on. I've also read that parts of the autobahn are speed restricted and pop out of no where.

I would never attempt to go full out on the autobahn unless you've experienced driving on European highways.
Harvey Specter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2012, 07:21 PM   #87
Ready to be Man handled by RS!

Thanked 1,502 Times in 506 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr.C View Post
I'll do 160 all day every day in my 7.

I will not, say, do 120 in a Chevy van without being afraid, or in a Yaris.

Those cars listed, honestly, if they weren't impaired, I truly don't see what the big deal is. I find that less dangerous than people who merge onto the highway at 50 km/h. You don;t see news articles about those dumbasses, but they are way more dangerous.
Grade 10 physics > you.

A Chevy van at 120 km/h will have a shorter braking distance and better ability to avoid accidents (like performing a rapid lane change to avoid an obstacle) than your 7 will at 160 km/h.
dangonay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2012, 07:25 PM   #88

Quote:

There is no evidence that they ware racing or trying to outdrive each other. The term "street racing" has been bastardized. It can simply mean driving at excessive speeds in a pack of cars. If they were truly racing each other, speeds would easily be above 200 km/h.
Old 07-26-2012, 07:29 PM   #89

Quote:
Originally Posted by vahidpooyan View Post

THE AUTOBAHN- THE GERMAN HIGHWAY *HQ* - YouTube
Yes, I've driven a lot in Germany. But even the French expressways in Provence or some of the A-roads in the UK have traffic that moves at 150-170km/h.

In Germany, I am usually at 160-210 km/h. The A3 TDI usually runs out of breath after 200.
Old 07-26-2012, 08:07 PM   #90
Banned By Establishment

Quote:
There is no evidence that they ware racing or trying to outdrive each other. The term "street racing" has been bastardized. It can simply mean driving at excessive speeds in a pack of cars. If they were truly racing each other, speeds would easily be above 200 km/h.
Marco, I was just writing a letter of objection about this and I read this.

I was fined for $3000, yes around three thousand dollars when converted from Dubai dirhams for basically doing nothing

I was out in the Lamborghini and a 458 was on my left, we were cruising the whole way and I did not know the 458 or anything, he was just heading to the same direction as I was. We reached a red light, went green, started a bit aggressive at about 50 percent power I would say and reached the speed limit together and kept it there at 80 km.

Few seconds later we are pulled over and long story very short we both got tickets for reckless driving and racing (second biggest offense in Dubai, even bigger than killing someone) no matter how hard I tried to explain that I wasn't even attempting to race and was driving my own path it was just pointless.

Mind you, the street we were on is made out of slippery stones which is impossible to floor it, well at least for the RWD 458 he would just be in the grass before he knows it. If I was actually flooring it and racing I would be in Abu Dhabi before the officer or the 458 would have reached me!

The officer made it clear that if two or more cars start at the same time in a aggressive way and even if they don't break the speed limit, it is still racing and reckless driving which is absolutely ridiculous! I mean why would any idiot attempt to race on a very slippery and bumpy road with a million speed cameras.

Anyway $3000 and 16 points on my license(24 points and 3 month suspension), first time I'm getting a fine like this in my life. Sometimes even if your not looking for trouble, the trouble just finds you if your in the wrong place at the wrong time!
vahidpooyan is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
This post FAILED by:
Old 07-26-2012, 09:10 PM   #91
Even when im right, revscene.net is still right!

Thanked 1,776 Times in 444 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by dangonay View Post
Grade 10 physics > you.

A Chevy van at 120 km/h will have a shorter braking distance and better ability to avoid accidents (like performing a rapid lane change to avoid an obstacle) than your 7 will at 160 km/h.
No other way to say it, but you didn't think this through or you're the one who missed the physics classes. I've done both, and let me tell you, the 7 is WAY better at maneuvering than a whale of a car with a much higher centre of gravity and much shittier brakes. Have you even *tried* panic braking a Chevy Van from 120, and a 7-series from 160? Could be just perception, but I felt way more in control in the 7.

http://www.e38registry.org/
Mr.C is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
This post FAILED by:
Old 07-26-2012, 09:40 PM   #92

Physics > Perception

This is why you see so many 4x4s in the ditch with the first dusting of snow.
Quote:
This post thanked by:
Old 07-26-2012, 10:21 PM   #93
Head Moderator

Thanked 6,462 Times in 2,081 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Soundy View Post
You're not familiar with this stretch of road, are you?

This is 47km of road construction. There are places where you go from smooth new pavement to broken up old pavement; there are angled pavement transitions; there are lots of areas where the lanes do a sudden jog left or right as you transition from old road to new road to temporary road; there are sections where the lane markings are unclear, further muddled by remnants of old lane lines. There are sections where "construction exits" split off into the center median and if you're not watching, you could go straight into the end of a jersey barrier or off into the dirt.

Anyone remember that story from a year or two ago, the BMW that was doing over 140 east of the Port Mann and ran full speed into the back end of a stopped construction truck?

When you're doing that speed, even a small bump can send you airborne, and when your tires aren't on the ground, you have ZERO control - I don't care whether you're weaving or not.

160 may not be a big deal on a GOOD road in GOOD condition with no surprises. Highway 1 between Langley and the North Shore does not fit ANY of those descriptions. Go back and look at the threads that pop up every time there are major changes to lanes and exits - like when they shifted the 152nd exit to the left lanes, and then back again. Things are changing daily on this stretch of highway. You could have driven the road three days ago and not be prepared for what it's like today.
QFT

Was just going to talk about this. The whole area, right up to the tunnel, is a construction zone with workers at work during the night time. That in itself makes it more dangerous, not just for the drivers, but for the construction crew literally feet away from cars whizzing by. I'm not going to get into the argument about if cars are safe at those speeds are not (it's an actual fact that the majority of main roads in BC have a speed limit artificially set at a maximum of 80% of allowable speed [I made a thread about it with an actual government report, if you really wanted to look it up]), but I'm more concerned about the Class 7 licences, along with the stretch of road they were speeding.
Lomac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2012, 10:30 PM   #94
NOOB, Not Quite a Regular!

These guys really drag down the whole age group in terms of public perceptions. Honestly, they should be jailed because of their lack of competency on public roads. No joke.
harrison716 is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 07-27-2012, 04:42 AM   #95

Quote:
Physics > Perception

This is why you see so many 4x4s in the ditch with the first dusting of snow.
Which actually reminds me of a post on another board a while back:

"The laws of nature do not bend to keep idiots alive, even if the laws of man do."
Quote:
Old 07-27-2012, 05:25 AM   #96
NOOB, Not Quite a Regular!

The debate about speeding goes on, if this province really wants to curb speeding they need to re-evaluate the speed limits. Icbc has a ton of money, spend it and build this community a real race track. This impoundment law is a cash grab, clearly it's not deterring people.
LP560 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2012, 06:44 AM   #97
Need to Seek Professional Help

Thanked 2,237 Times in 251 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by StevenDuang View Post
News media at it's finest. Talks about a race in whistler involving a truck and a car, yet post a picture of a completely unrelated incident that happened a long time ago just to get the hype going.
ziggyx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2012, 06:54 AM   #98
Pull Out Towing. Women rescued for free.

Thanked 2,414 Times in 1,283 Posts
Quote:

http://forums.beyond.ca/showthread.php?threadid=311954

Just to help refresh your memory, but the driver was drunk which was a major contributor to the accident, not the excessive speeding though it was the high rate of speed and rapid deceleration that killed the 3 people.
Quote:
Originally Posted by tofu1413 View Post
and icing on the cake, lady driving a newer chrysler 200 infront of me... jumped out of her car, dropped her pants, did an immediate squat and did probably the longest public relief ever...... steam and all.

(11-0-0) Buy/Sell rating
Christine
Shitvic
Pull Out Towing
SumAznGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2012, 07:00 AM   #99
Pull Out Towing. Women rescued for free.

Thanked 2,414 Times in 1,283 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by LP560 View Post
The debate about speeding goes on, if this province really wants to curb speeding they need to re-evaluate the speed limits. Icbc has a ton of money, spend it and build this community a real race track. This impoundment law is a cash grab, clearly it's not deterring people.
Please re-read what you posted and think about it for a sec.

There is a race track out in Mission, but even then people will come up with an excuse to speed on the streets.
Building a race track is just an excuse.

If impoundment is a cash grab, then the government would have made it at 5 km/h over the limit and not 40. Clearly it is not detering people because most people won't be going 40 km/h over the limit. And the ones that do, they do it knowing full well that if they get caught, they lose their car and obviously have more money than brains or have the mentality that they won't get caught.
Quote:
Originally Posted by tofu1413 View Post
and icing on the cake, lady driving a newer chrysler 200 infront of me... jumped out of her car, dropped her pants, did an immediate squat and did probably the longest public relief ever...... steam and all.

(11-0-0) Buy/Sell rating
Christine
Shitvic
Pull Out Towing
SumAznGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2012, 07:02 AM   #100
I *heart* Revscene.net very Muchie

Thanked 4,984 Times in 995 Posts
people need to get their egos checked in this thread..

Last edited by Verdasco; 07-27-2012 at 08:00 AM.
Verdasco is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by: