REVscene - Vancouver Automotive Forum

Welcome to the REVscene Automotive Forum forums.

Registration is Free!You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today! The banners on the left side and below do not show for registered users!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   REVscene Automotive Forum > Automotive Chat > Vancouver Off-Topic / Current Events

Vancouver Off-Topic / Current Events The off-topic forum for Vancouver, funnies, non-auto centered discussions, WORK SAFE. While the rules are more relaxed here, there are still rules. Please refer to sticky thread in this forum.

Old 07-27-2012, 11:50 AM   #1
Banned By Establishment

Thanked 2,982 Times in 1,135 Posts
Chick-Fil-A and Gay Marriage

So, this has become a thing.

Dan Cathy, Chick-Fil-A President, On Anti-Gay Stance: 'Guilty As Charged'

For anyone unaware, basically Chick-Fil-A(a company I never heard of until this thing) came out and said that they do support anti-gay xtian organizations and don't support gay marriage.

Thus, a great divide begins with religious groups in one corner and gay marriage activists in the other.

So, why the thread? This isn't really to inspire debate about gay marriage itself, but I'm a little disturbed at the gay marriage supporters attacking this company for having an opinion and standing behind it. And then mayors making names for themselves by wanting to block the company from building stores because of it. Like, really?

Chick-fil-A anti-gay controversy: Company denounced by Chicago Mayor Rahm Emanuel after gay marriage scandal | Mail Online

This, in another fine example of the land of the free(tm) at work. In this day and age, can't a group, or company have an opinion that goes against the majority and not have this happen? I don't really agree with their stance, but I certainly support their right to share it.

If these mayors really want to hit them in the pocket book, then they should do it by not eating their shitty food.

Thoughts?
Advertisement
Gridlock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2012, 11:55 AM   #2
RS.net, where our google ads make absolutely no sense!

All I can say is that mixing personal opinions and feelings with business is just asking trouble. If you have personal opinions, fine, don't drag your business with you.
Geoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2012, 11:59 AM   #3
...in the world.

Thanked 7,636 Times in 2,321 Posts
Chick-Fil-A is big in certain areas of the States but I don't think they have any locations in the West coast.

Perfect example of how you should never mix business with religious beliefs. Do you NEED to tell people that you don't support gay marriage? WHY? Why would anyone's sexual preference matter in business? Everyone's money is worth the same.

I don't understand why people don't just keep this shit to themselves. Don't like gay marriage? DON'T GET GAY MARRIED. They can have all the opinions they want but other people also have the opinion that they don't want to shop from bigots.

Just keep that shit to yourself. Whether homosexuals are allowed to marry each other has zero effect on heterosexual people...so why bother? Why cost yourself business just so you can tell everyone what you believe in? You aren't going to convince anyone you're right and they're wrong. Just seems stupid.
Ronin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2012, 12:02 PM   #4
nuggets mod

Thanked 3,799 Times in 981 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Geoc View Post
All I can say is that mixing personal opinions and feelings with business is just asking trouble. If you have personal opinions, fine, don't drag your business with you.
That's ridiculous. All businesses operate based on the board or owner's personal opinion about moral situations.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ronin View Post
Why cost yourself business just so you can tell everyone what you believe in? You aren't going to convince anyone you're right and they're wrong. Just seems stupid.
All that says is that your love for money is stronger than you beliefs. It's like saying, as long as they're making money, why would anyone want to stop serving shark fin soup just because the species will go extinct?
Old 07-27-2012, 12:17 PM   #5
...in the world.

No, it says my love for money is stronger than my need to push my own beliefs on others. My beliefs are just that...mine. Religion, beliefs and truth are a personal thing...no one else should tell you what you believe in. Whatever my feelings about gay marriage are, those are my opinions. Other people should make up their own minds.

Tell me what good comes out of Chick-A-Fil stating how much they disagree with gay marriage? They're just losing business and a grand total of ZERO gay people are realizing "Oh shit, being gay is wrong.".

And your example doesn't work. Shark fin and whether or not it is sold affects restaurants directly. What part of gay marriage has anything to do with fried chicken?
This post FAILED by:
Old 07-27-2012, 12:41 PM   #6
Banned By Establishment

Thanked 2,982 Times in 1,135 Posts
Well, yes, but they were using company/personal money to support anti-gay groups. I say fine. I think its good that you come out publicly and say that yes, you do donate to these certain causes and such so that people can make informed decisions.

This with groups now going after Chick-Fil-A is where I start to have a problem. You are attacking them for the EXACT same reason as they are attacking you, and then crying foul. As much as one group wants the ability to live out their lives in peace(get gay married, be gay or what have you) another group wants something different.
Gridlock is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 07-27-2012, 12:41 PM   #7
nuggets mod

Thanked 3,799 Times in 981 Posts
Quote:
No, it says my love for money is stronger than my need to push my own beliefs on others. My beliefs are just that...mine. Religion, beliefs and truth are a personal thing...no one else should tell you what you believe in. Whatever my feelings about gay marriage are, those are my opinions. Other people should make up their own minds.

Tell me what good comes out of Chick-A-Fil stating how much they disagree with gay marriage? They're just losing business and a grand total of ZERO gay people are realizing "Oh shit, being gay is wrong.".
Correct me if I'm wrong, but I don't think Chick-A-Fil was issuing a statement so much as the owner/president was interviewed about his own personal belief, which of course resulted in 'Chick-A-Fil hates gays'.
Quote:
And your example doesn't work. Shark fin and whether or not it is sold affects restaurants directly. What part of gay marriage has anything to do with fried chicken?
That's not the point. You were asking why anyone would jeopardize profits over something they believe in.

Overall though, I agree with Gridlock. It's funny how we're all about free speech, and then someone opposes gay marriage and all of a sudden they're a bigot and should be jailed.
Old 07-27-2012, 01:03 PM   #8
...in the world.

There's a slight difference, the way I see it.

If gays want to gay, then that has no effect on straight people at all. They aren't imposing their gayness on anyone.

But when straight people speak out against homosexuality, they're telling gay people they're wrong and they don't have the right to get married. That seems like a load of crap to me.

Before anyone says that gay marriage threatens the sanctity of traditional marriage...that's bullshit in a world where Kim Kardashian and various other whores exist.
This post thanked by:
Old 07-27-2012, 01:10 PM   #9
...in the world.

Quote:
Originally Posted by freakshow View Post
Correct me if I'm wrong, but I don't think Chick-A-Fil was issuing a statement so much as the owner/president was interviewed about his own personal belief, which of course resulted in 'Chick-A-Fil hates gays'.
That's not the point. You were asking why anyone would jeopardize profits over something they believe in.
As far as I know...the interview questioned Chick-Fil-A's "support of the traditional family" to which the president answered something like "We are very supportive of the family." and then talks about wives and God and how the current generation that supports same sex marriage is wrong.

The way the interview starts, it's clearly an indication of the company's motto, not just the president's personal beliefs. "We", after all. He speaks with reference to his company.

If it was his personal opinion, that's great. But this is an interview in the context of his company. He could've said "I don't support gay marriage myself but Chick-Fil-A has an anti-discrimination and equality policy." but no, instead, he chose this moment to thump his Bible to tell the heathens how wrong they are.
Old 07-27-2012, 01:28 PM   #10
I bringith the lowerballerith

Its his personal beliefs and by incorporating into every aspect of his life including his business, the good that comes out of it is, he gets personal satisfaction.

And he might also gain customers, just recently i saw a post on 4chan saying that the op never tried chick-fil-a, but now hes willing to try because he hates faggots as well.
geeknerd is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 07-27-2012, 02:45 PM   #11
Glorious Gaming PC Master Race

homos eat chicken too.

they dun goofed.
Old 07-27-2012, 02:49 PM   #12
My homepage has been set to RS

um if they dont support gay marriage thats one thing. if they dont support anti gay organizations tho theyre essentially anti gay. which is like being anti black or anti woman or ani chinese.

also if theyre a corporation acting in a competitive market and havig an opinion publically like this, thats retarded in the first place. how is this relevant? if ur against mixing business with government with social issues then u shud not support this company in its freedom to have an opinion. the company probably has gay eployees and gay customers so stfu and make your product
drunkrussian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2012, 03:05 PM   #13
y'all better put some respeck on my name

Thanked 9,244 Times in 2,359 Posts
Things just got worst...

Quote:
Chick-fil-A’s public relations director dead of heart attack

The head of public relations at Chick-fil-A died Friday morning of an apparent heart attack, according to the company.

The employee, Donald A. Perry, was the company’s vice president of corporate public relations.

His death comes as Chick-fil-A finds itself embroiled in a public relations fiasco with the gay community and supporters of same-sex marriage protesting the company because of statements made by company president Dan Cathy.

Erica M. Martinez, a Chick-fil-A spokeswoman, confirmed the news Friday afternoon in a statement to The Daily Caller.

“We are saddened to report the news to you that our dear friend Don Perry, vice president of public relations, passed away suddenly this morning,” she said. “Don was a member of our Chick-fil-A family for nearly 29 years.”

Martinez added: “For many of you in the media, he was the spokesperson for Chick-fil-A. He was a well-respected and well-liked media executive in the Atlanta and University of Georgia communities, and we will all miss him.”

WBRL News 3 in Georgia reported the cause of the death to be a heart attack.

Perry joined Chick-fil-A in the 1980s.

“I came on board in 1983 to literally start the public relations function here, because the company was young, growing and emerging,” Perry told Georgia Magazine. “The company was trying to move beyond just a small, regional family chain to become a national brand.”

Perry is portrayed as protective of the company in a 2003 Fortune Small Business story. He is quoted questioning the motives of a reporter in a piece about the religious beliefs of the company’s founder. “What would you like to do? Are you going to continue on a religious kind of thing, or are you going to concentrate more on the Chick-fil-A business?”

He became an elder of his church in 1997, according to information posted on the website of Hillcrest Church of Christ. The church said Perry enjoyed “leading his church fellowship cell group, as well as working to help maintain harmony in the congregation.”

“One of the challenges sometimes is helping to reconcile differing views among members,” Perry said, according to the church, “but we work to keep unity of the faith.”

Read more: Chick-fil-A's public relations director dead of heart attack | The Daily Caller

Harvey Specter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2012, 03:48 PM   #14
I bringith the lowerballerith

Maybe this could be what the owner is thinking:
I do not want gays and gay supporters to buy and enjoy my product. Do not bring your dirty homo money here.

because if he was actually thinking about maximum market, he would've done otherwise.
geeknerd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2012, 04:28 PM   #15

ok rip and all but the phrase "the pr guy is gonna have a heart attack" actually came true? damn son
Old 07-27-2012, 04:35 PM   #16
Rs has made me the man i am today!

Quote:
Originally Posted by geeknerd View Post
Maybe this could be what the owner is thinking:
I do not want gays and gay supporters to buy and enjoy my product. Do not bring your dirty homo money here.
Exactly.

Reminds me of a rep for Cristal saying that they don't mind if black hip hop artists spent their $$$ on Krug instead.

End Result: Jay Z makes Ace of Spade. Now, athletes spend over 100gs on a giant bottle of Ace of Spade when they win championships. Cristal's revenue dips.

It's great that they say these things. At least gay folks know not to eat there anymore.
Old 07-27-2012, 05:05 PM   #17
Official Texas Ambassador

Thanked 5,671 Times in 1,324 Posts
If hes not worried about losing business by being closed on Sundays (corporate policy. all locations are closed on Sunday) hes not worried about having a controversial opinion about gay marriage.

Haters gonna hate for about as long as it takes to drive down the street to Popeyes to buy themselves some REAL chicken.
She taught me right from wrong and always told me to stay positive and help others no matter how small the deed - that helping others gives us meaning to carry on. The sun is out today and it's a new day. Life is good. I just needed a slap in the face.
El Bastardo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2012, 05:09 PM   #18
Fabulous Rugby Quad Sports Mod

I'll just leave this here. Seems like Chick-Fil-A has some conflicting messages....
RacingMetro92 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2012, 07:45 PM   #19
I WANT MY 10 YEARS BACK FROM RS.net!

Thanked 9,819 Times in 3,901 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by El Bastardo View Post
If hes not worried about losing business by being closed on Sundays (corporate policy. all locations are closed on Sunday) hes not worried about having a controversial opinion about gay marriage.

Haters gonna hate for about as long as it takes to drive down the street to Popeyes to buy themselves some REAL chicken.
never got to try popeyes but chik-fil-a is pretty tasty imo

staff is also very nice...i'm not used to interacting with mormons
twitchyzero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2012, 08:16 PM   #20
kwy

Thanked 1,715 Times in 595 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by El Bastardo View Post

You don't get "real chicken" from a fast food joint. It's all the same shit. If you want real chicken, it's home cooked or from a respectable restaurant. Just sayin.
kwy is offline   Reply With Quote
This post FAILED by:
Old 07-27-2012, 10:48 PM   #21
Banned By Establishment

Thanked 3,492 Times in 1,176 Posts
Attachment 12590

Can't have your cake and eat it too...

Last edited by dinosaur; 07-26-2013 at 08:23 PM.
dinosaur is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 07-27-2012, 10:51 PM   #22
...in the world.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kwy View Post
You don't get "real chicken" from a fast food joint. It's all the same shit. If you want real chicken, it's home cooked or from a respectable restaurant. Just sayin.
Fuck you, Church's Chicken is awesome.

Ask any $14 baller.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dinosaur View Post
Attachment 12590

Can't have your cake and eat it too...
They're Christians, not Jews.

Whoever made that hasn't done their research.
This post thanked by:
Old 07-28-2012, 04:36 AM   #23
To me, there is the Internet and there is RS

Thanked 7,383 Times in 3,465 Posts
Quote:

Ask any $14 baller.

They're Christians, not Jews.

Whoever made that hasn't done their research.
It's a quote from the bible.

Old 07-28-2012, 09:38 AM   #24

Quote:

Ask any $14 baller.
hell yeah churchs is the bomb. and it doesnt get more real than the poay-spicy 2/3 piece meal shits
Old 07-29-2012, 02:16 PM   #25
...in the world.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Manic! View Post
I'm not getting into specifics but Jesus basically repeals that old testament law and says pork is fine.

And churches in the states the size of stadiums are usually fanatical weirdos. Anyone that thinks pork and shellfish is wrong because of health issues and that's the thing they've picked up from the Bible...then that dude is a wackjob. That's why I said they Christians, not Jews. Jews don't believe the New Testament and they Jesusy stuff that comes after while Christians do, so Jews don't eat pork but I'm sure Chrisitians could care less.