REVscene - Vancouver Automotive Forum


Welcome to the REVscene Automotive Forum forums.

Registration is Free!You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today! The banners on the left side and below do not show for registered users!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.


Go Back   REVscene Automotive Forum > Automotive Chat > Vancouver Auto Chat

Vancouver Auto Chat 2016 VAC Community Head Moderator: Raid3n

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old 08-26-2012, 01:52 PM   #51
RS has made me the bitter person i am today!
 
Supafly's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2002
Location: VanCity/HCMC/HK
Posts: 4,760
Thanked 694 Times in 235 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by 4444 View Post
Haha, what? I am the furthest thing from a drug user or dealer, Im a multiple designation suit and tie businessman, thanks all the same
assumptions are a bitch aren't they.....
Advertisement
__________________
"Just because any car nut can tell you every possible performance specification of a Ferrari doesn't mean he can drive. Most of these people live in places where they've never even seen a Ferrari, much less ever owned one themselves."
Supafly is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 09-10-2012, 11:47 PM   #52
Everyone wants a piece of R S...
 
Rdk1's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2006
Location: Richmond
Posts: 359
Thanked 140 Times in 34 Posts
Well,

I think I just recently went through a very similar situation, so I'll chime in a bit.

I've thought about trading my 07 Camry XLE for half a year. I bought it brand new (well my dad did when I just got in post secondary). I made sure my dad was okay for me to trade it before I did.

So I finally decided to (2 weeks ago) trade my Camry for my friends s2000. He took my Camry to Calgary for school, and I plan on driving it this winter until I save up more money for a winter beater. (I was stupid in buying me some Ohlin DFVs... ) This is my last semester in Uni. I also work part time as a Wedding Videographer so I do have some income to spend.

For my trade, I got money on top, which I used to buy hard top and will be using the rest on buying winter tires and a car canopy (no garage), AND I'm not paying monthly payments as I already paid off my old car.

I got 2-3.5k on top of trade-in value (12000-13500) and I bought the MINT and Low K (76k) s2000 at trade in value. (12000). The deal made sense to me because my Camry was depreciating very quickly and will continue to do so, (6 months ago dealer quoted 14500, it dropped 1.5k in half a year) where as the S2000's been selling for quite a bit. I also couldn't even sell my Camry at 16000. It sat for a good couple weeks without any serious bite other than tire kickers.

I did spend quite a big chunk of my savings to fit the s2000 for the winter though, and I'm still kind of scared about crashing it because my AP1 is notoriously tail happy.

I haven't regretted my decision as I've loved the two weeks I've driven it AND I made quite a few friends at S2ki who've been very helpful. However I'm also ready to bear the consequences should things go south. I'm looking to do a bit more PT work to save up more money just incase something happens. (taking the bus this entire semester would be one if I decide it's still to dangerous even on blizzaks). So you'll have to be prepared for things as such when you purchase a RAW sports car.

One thing I know is that if I kept my Camry I'll always have the itch and distraction of looking for another car. But now I'm very satisfied and know what it's like to own a cool sports car and I plan to keep this car for as long as I can. I've also learnt the process of buying another car (I replaced all fluids + sparkplugs...etc right after buying the s2k)

Personally, the s2000 made me into a better driver too, and I felt good because I got something I wanted, at the manageable budget I envisioned.

As long as you KNOW and are prepared for what may lie ahead, I personally believe that it's not too bad of an idea.

Best,
__________________
------------------------------------------------------
UBCSCC 2012-2013 Championship Novice STR (SCCA)
Rdk1 is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
This post FAILED by:
Old 09-15-2012, 12:37 AM   #53
NLY
Helps you change your flat, doesn't hit on your girlfriend while doing so
 
NLY's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: Kitsilano
Posts: 914
Thanked 1,755 Times in 277 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rdk1 View Post
Well,

I think I just recently went through a very similar situation, so I'll chime in a bit.

I've thought about trading my 07 Camry XLE for half a year. I bought it brand new (well my dad did when I just got in post secondary). I made sure my dad was okay for me to trade it before I did.

So I finally decided to (2 weeks ago) trade my Camry for my friends s2000. He took my Camry to Calgary for school, and I plan on driving it this winter until I save up more money for a winter beater. (I was stupid in buying me some Ohlin DFVs... ) This is my last semester in Uni. I also work part time as a Wedding Videographer so I do have some income to spend.

For my trade, I got money on top, which I used to buy hard top and will be using the rest on buying winter tires and a car canopy (no garage), AND I'm not paying monthly payments as I already paid off my old car.

I got 2-3.5k on top of trade-in value (12000-13500) and I bought the MINT and Low K (76k) s2000 at trade in value. (12000). The deal made sense to me because my Camry was depreciating very quickly and will continue to do so, (6 months ago dealer quoted 14500, it dropped 1.5k in half a year) where as the S2000's been selling for quite a bit. I also couldn't even sell my Camry at 16000. It sat for a good couple weeks without any serious bite other than tire kickers.

I did spend quite a big chunk of my savings to fit the s2000 for the winter though, and I'm still kind of scared about crashing it because my AP1 is notoriously tail happy.

I haven't regretted my decision as I've loved the two weeks I've driven it AND I made quite a few friends at S2ki who've been very helpful. However I'm also ready to bear the consequences should things go south. I'm looking to do a bit more PT work to save up more money just incase something happens. (taking the bus this entire semester would be one if I decide it's still to dangerous even on blizzaks). So you'll have to be prepared for things as such when you purchase a RAW sports car.

One thing I know is that if I kept my Camry I'll always have the itch and distraction of looking for another car. But now I'm very satisfied and know what it's like to own a cool sports car and I plan to keep this car for as long as I can. I've also learnt the process of buying another car (I replaced all fluids + sparkplugs...etc right after buying the s2k)

Personally, the s2000 made me into a better driver too, and I felt good because I got something I wanted, at the manageable budget I envisioned.

As long as you KNOW and are prepared for what may lie ahead, I personally believe that it's not too bad of an idea.

Best,
and 4 days later..

2000 S2000 AP1: 77XXXKM Red Leather - $20500 (Richmond)

Quote:
Looking to sell a 2000 S2000 (AP1)
77XXX KM, Local car, no accidents.
Third owner.

RED Leather Interior Condition 8.5-9/10.

Recent mechanical inspection: New sparkplugs, filters, oil changed with mobil 1 5w30.
Brakes at 85% & NEW TIRES.

NEW PARTS INSTALLED
Recently installed JVC Bluetooth/Ipod Deck @ Richmond Future Shop: 470
Blackvue DR-380 720p Front dash cam: 250

INCOMING: (In shipping) That will be included with the car : NOT INSTALLED.
Forbidden OEM Replica Hard Top Silverstone exterior with Carbon Fibre Interior: 3000
Ohlin DFV Suspension 8k Front/10k Rear. : 3000+
Ebay AP1 OEM replica front lip: 100.

I bought it two weeks ago out of a whim. My loss is your gain.
ALL inspection performed at MINIT TUNE RICHMOND.

Asking 20500 FIRM, with all parts included.
Email me with your contact information. Looking to sell SOON.
__________________
_

2016-2017 Revscene Fantasy Basketball Champion
NLY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2012, 08:28 AM   #54
I bringith the lowerballerith
 
hi-revs's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: vancouver
Posts: 1,156
Thanked 221 Times in 112 Posts
^LOL!
hi-revs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2012, 08:47 AM   #55
I *heart* Revscene.net very Muchie
 
too_slow's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2004
Location: Melbourne
Posts: 3,963
Thanked 362 Times in 161 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by 4444 View Post
Owing $16k on a low end civic tells a story in and of itself, that the car is not easily afforded, and chances are if fella loses his income, parents are taking over payments, which is so fucking lame -
Maybe he got the car @ 0% financing? Why would you put $ down if it's 0% you dumb s*it?
__________________
2011 VW Tiguan Highline 4Motion (Canada)

2013 Lexus IS350 F-Sport (Melbourne)
too_slow is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
This post FAILED by:
Old 09-15-2012, 12:21 PM   #56
Banned (ABWS)
 
MrGoodbar's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2003
Location: vancouver
Posts: 1,268
Thanked 425 Times in 146 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rdk1 View Post
Spoiler!
Wow, you sure make a compelling argument to get an S2000. Also, nice ad.
MrGoodbar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2012, 01:56 PM   #57
NLY
Helps you change your flat, doesn't hit on your girlfriend while doing so
 
NLY's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: Kitsilano
Posts: 914
Thanked 1,755 Times in 277 Posts
$20500 for a MY00 S2000 with 77k

even with the addition of replica hardtop and rebuilt ohlin coilovers

__________________
_

2016-2017 Revscene Fantasy Basketball Champion
NLY is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 09-15-2012, 02:02 PM   #58
Rs has made me the woman i am today!
 
ForbiddenX's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: YVR/SFO
Posts: 4,487
Thanked 1,254 Times in 426 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by too_slow View Post
Maybe he got the car @ 0% financing? Why would you put $ down if it's 0% you dumb s*it?
Lol that's what I did with my car. It was 0% for 4 years so why not.
__________________
My Website flickr
Feedback (19-0-0)
STEAM: ForbiddenX
ForbiddenX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2012, 10:33 PM   #59
UFO
I *heart* Revscene.net very Muchie
 
UFO's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2001
Location: Van, BC
Posts: 3,664
Thanked 728 Times in 435 Posts
It's fine if you're keeping the car long enough to pay it off. But if you sell it after a year or two you likely owe more on the car than what you could sell it for
UFO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2012, 09:26 AM   #60
Revscene.net has a homepage?!
 
Speed2K's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: yvr
Posts: 1,242
Thanked 596 Times in 233 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Acura604 View Post
Summer cruising with the top down is almost over... FALL/Winter is approaching.. definitely NOT S2000 time. skip it and revisit Spring 2013.
He might be able to find a better deal during the winter; in the spring sellers will probably jack-up the prices.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rl89rl89 View Post
Also factor in, if s2000 is your first manual and rear wheel car you have to be careful of the car's characteristics like snap-oversteer.
Snap-oversteer won't be a problem if the op is looking for an '06+ S2k.
__________________
www.instagram.com/alex.soo/
Speed2K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2012, 09:29 AM   #61
no
 
jpark's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: home
Posts: 5,221
Thanked 5,527 Times in 1,134 Posts
^op already bought a tsx
jpark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2012, 09:36 AM   #62
Revscene.net has a homepage?!
 
Speed2K's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: yvr
Posts: 1,242
Thanked 596 Times in 233 Posts
LOL, so extreme, 2 seater, rwd convertible to 4 seater fwd sedan. I hope he enjoys the car!
__________________
www.instagram.com/alex.soo/
Speed2K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2012, 10:00 AM   #63
Meow
 
Araaadi's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: Burnaby
Posts: 1,245
Thanked 610 Times in 202 Posts
Yea, sorry I didn't do an update. During my search for an s2000, I was looking at a few ap1s and looked at the frs and g37s/370s. A clean ap2 was hard to come by and it was in the price range of a frs, and I wasn't really into the whole soft top thing so then I would need another 3000 for a hard top, the frs/g37/370z were my next choices but a little out of my price range, then I saw a black 2010 v6 tsx on way to school. Went and checked it out the next day and I felt it suited me best because im not a small guy at all. Then I put the fun factor into consideration, and decided to just take PRS this fall and if I enjoy riding buy a bike. I figured it would be best to have practical for school/work days and when summer comes along I will have something impractical for the fun I was missing out on with my civic. I am very happy with my choice, I finally don't feel too big for my car, and it is a very fun car to drive with its 281hp.
__________________
Buy/Sell Feedback 8-0-0
Araaadi is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 09-16-2012, 09:05 PM   #64
I contribute to threads in the offtopic forum
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: not vancouver
Posts: 2,642
Thanked 1,940 Times in 764 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by too_slow View Post
Maybe he got the car @ 0% financing? Why would you put $ down if it's 0% you dumb s*it?
Name calling is so childish, seriously 'dumb shit' - its not even very imaginative or funny

Anyway, let's say you finance at 0%, I agree, you would not want to ur anything down, from a financing point of view

But, and a really big but, when you finance at zero apr, chances are you are paying a higher capital amount than, say, if you paid with cash - in this day and age, cash is king, you can negotiate way more with a cash purchase. Before the global financial crisis, quite the opposite was true, you were in a better position if you were financing, so people like me who buy their cars with cash (and not because I'm a drug dealer or anything like that) were in a worse off situation.

So, please, tell me if I'm wrong, but recently a family member bought a car with cash (a learned trait) for just shy of 20% off, now granted they have bought 3 cars from same dealership in last 7 yrs, but still, would that person have saved that money if they were financing it at 0% - what would you rather have, pay 80k now with cash or 100k at 0% financing? I'd rather pay 80k, personally (just as an example)

Or maybe I'm just a dumb shit who knows nothing about finance
4444 is offline   Reply With Quote
This post FAILED by:
Old 09-16-2012, 10:52 PM   #65
UFO
I *heart* Revscene.net very Muchie
 
UFO's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2001
Location: Van, BC
Posts: 3,664
Thanked 728 Times in 435 Posts
OP, if you don't mind sharing, what did you end up getting back for your Civic?
UFO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2012, 05:50 AM   #66
I *heart* Revscene.net very Muchie
 
too_slow's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2004
Location: Melbourne
Posts: 3,963
Thanked 362 Times in 161 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by 4444 View Post
Name calling is so childish, seriously 'dumb shit' - its not even very imaginative or funny

Anyway, let's say you finance at 0%, I agree, you would not want to ur anything down, from a financing point of view

But, and a really big but, when you finance at zero apr, chances are you are paying a higher capital amount than, say, if you paid with cash - in this day and age, cash is king, you can negotiate way more with a cash purchase. Before the global financial crisis, quite the opposite was true, you were in a better position if you were financing, so people like me who buy their cars with cash (and not because I'm a drug dealer or anything like that) were in a worse off situation.

So, please, tell me if I'm wrong, but recently a family member bought a car with cash (a learned trait) for just shy of 20% off, now granted they have bought 3 cars from same dealership in last 7 yrs, but still, would that person have saved that money if they were financing it at 0% - what would you rather have, pay 80k now with cash or 100k at 0% financing? I'd rather pay 80k, personally (just as an example)

Or maybe I'm just a dumb shit who knows nothing about finance
Cash incentives are minimal on Civics/Corollas. The Civic is a $20k car, not a $100k car. This is car enthusiast site, not a 'financial lounge' per se.
__________________
2011 VW Tiguan Highline 4Motion (Canada)

2013 Lexus IS350 F-Sport (Melbourne)
too_slow is offline   Reply With Quote
This post FAILED by:
Old 09-17-2012, 08:28 AM   #67
I contribute to threads in the offtopic forum
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: not vancouver
Posts: 2,642
Thanked 1,940 Times in 764 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by too_slow View Post
Cash incentives are minimal on Civics/Corollas. The Civic is a $20k car, not a $100k car. This is car enthusiast site, not a 'financial lounge' per se.
In that case you're not negotiating right, I've bought for me and others, cars in and around that region with big cash incentives, crv's with $5 k off for cash

Ironic, I'm the dumb shit, but you're the one paying too much for your corolla/civic and not understanding finance
4444 is offline   Reply With Quote
This post FAILED by:
Old 09-19-2012, 03:02 PM   #68
Official Texas Ambassador
 
El Bastardo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2004
Location: Houston, TX
Posts: 10,146
Thanked 5,373 Times in 1,212 Posts
This came to mind while reading this thread

El Bastardo is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Reply

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are Off



All times are GMT -8. The time now is 02:47 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2019, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
SEO by vBSEO ©2011, Crawlability, Inc.
Revscene.net cannot be held accountable for the actions of its members nor does the opinions of the members represent that of Revscene.net