REVscene - Vancouver Automotive Forum

Welcome to the REVscene Automotive Forum forums.

Registration is Free!You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today! The banners on the left side and below do not show for registered users!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   REVscene Automotive Forum > Automotive Chat > Vancouver Off-Topic / Current Events

Vancouver Off-Topic / Current Events The off-topic forum for Vancouver, funnies, non-auto centered discussions, WORK SAFE. While the rules are more relaxed here, there are still rules. Please refer to sticky thread in this forum.

Old 09-18-2012, 08:43 PM   #251
Need my Daily Fix of RS

Quote:
Originally Posted by dangonay View Post
LOL at people actually thinking anything will come of this LTE patent dispute. You can't get an injunction over standard essential patents (SEP's). Not in the US, anyway. And you can't ask outrageous prices for your license or charge Apple more than you charge company A, B or C. So you can't hold a company hostage for huge $$$.

BTW, Apple has contributed 44 patents to LTE (that Apple invented themselves, for those people who think Apple never created anything). So if your phone uses LTE/4G, then sorry to say you very likely have Apple created technology in it. On top of the 44 LTE patents Apple owns they also have another 300+ they acquired from the Nortel auction and their stake in Rockstar putting their total just over 400 patents.

Apple has made an official statement they will never sue over SEP's (FRAND patents). It's only the little whiny bitches like Samsung, HTC and Motorola that are trying to get away with this. The entire technology industry agrees with Apple and disagrees with these "rogue" companies.

Now imagine if Apple was as crooked as Samsung/Motorola/HTC. They have enough LTE patents they could shut down every single LTE device sold anywhere in the world. But unlike these companies, Apple follows the rules regarding SEP's.
You speak for the "entire technology industry" now? The ego on you...........
Advertisement
twstd_reality is offline   Reply With Quote
This post FAILED by:
Old 09-18-2012, 09:06 PM   #252
Ready to be Man handled by RS!

Thanked 1,502 Times in 506 Posts
^ Do you read tech news at all? The ones that I can remember off the top of my head that released official statements backing Apple's position were: Cisco, HP, Nokia, Microsoft, IBM, and Intel.

Nokia had a bitter lawsuit going against Apple last year. So did Cisco who Apple "stole" the iPhone trademark from and also had legal issues with. Yet despite their differences with Apple they agree on Apple's position regarding SEP's.

I know for sure AT&T and Verizon sent letters to the ITC along with the FTC and several US senators (Rep and Dem). There was even a Senate Judiciary Committee held to discuss the issue. Even Ford (yes, Ford) sent in a letter of protest. And I'm sure I've forgotten a bunch more.

And why was there this sudden surge in opposition to SEP's used to seek sales bans? It was a direct response to the cases initiated by Motorola, HTC and Samsung and their attempts to abuse SEP's to get sales bans. Up until these cases appeared, nobody ever talked about SEP's and abuse. It was just "understood" that you didn't use your SEP's as weapons in court.
dangonay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2012, 09:17 PM   #253
Need my Daily Fix of RS

You didn't answer the question.
This post FAILED by:
Old 09-20-2012, 12:23 PM   #254
Rs has made me the man i am today!

Apple Totally Stole the Design of the iOS 6 iPad Clock
Old 09-20-2012, 02:40 PM   #255

Quote:
Originally Posted by twstd_reality View Post
The entire industry might not back Apple, but everyone who has spoken officially has. Nobody is backing Samsung, HTC or Motorola and their patent abuse.

When you find someone officially agreeing with them, feel free to post it up.
Posted via RS Mobile
Old 09-20-2012, 07:27 PM   #256
Need my Daily Fix of RS

Quote:
This post thanked by:
Old 09-20-2012, 11:16 PM   #257
I answer every Emotion with an emoticon

Thanked 2,485 Times in 1,007 Posts
so its not ok for Samsung and company to sue for patents but its ok for apple to sue for icon shapes and the color and shape of the device??
Old 09-21-2012, 06:28 AM   #258

^ This issue has been discussed thoroughly on RS and has been explained several times including in this this very thread. If you can't be bothered to take the time to understand such a simple comcept as the difference between regular patents and standard essential patents, then why should I waste anymore time responding to your post?

Quote:
It's early, or maybe I'm stupid, but I'm not really sure what "question" you want answered.
This post FAILED by:
Old 09-21-2012, 05:55 PM   #259
Proud to be called a RS Regular!

I thought no one cared anymore about this anymore, since it's over. well. this chapter. haha.
xerograv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2012, 02:01 PM   #260
I *heart* Revscene.net very Muchie

Thanked 4,506 Times in 1,688 Posts
Quote:
^ This issue has been discussed thoroughly on RS and has been explained several times including in this this very thread. If you can't be bothered to take the time to understand such a simple comcept as the difference between regular patents and standard essential patents, then why should I waste anymore time responding to your post?

It's early, or maybe I'm stupid, but I'm not really sure what "question" you want answered.
If you don't work for Apple, you are the biggest Stan I have ever seen on a forum in my life.
mikemhg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2012, 02:15 PM   #261

^ So instead of trying to counter my argument you're going for the insults?
Old 09-24-2012, 04:22 PM   #262
Hypa owned my ass at least once

Thanked 1,314 Times in 540 Posts
Quote:
^ So instead of trying to counter my argument you're going for the insults?
Because what has been said, has already been said for 10 pages long.
Noir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2012, 05:15 PM   #263

^ Exactly. I've been saying 2+2=4 over and over and someone inevitably comes along and says 2+2=5.
Posted via RS Mobile
Old 09-25-2012, 12:51 AM   #264
Even when im right, revscene.net is still right!

Thanked 1,090 Times in 318 Posts
Tell them dangonay, tell them.
Posted via RS Mobile
corollagtSr5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2012, 02:42 AM   #265
(╯°□°)╯聽不到 ╮(°□°╮)

Thanked 11,193 Times in 2,275 Posts
Dangonay defends this thread with iron fingers bashing away on the keyboard

Whatever, I stopped caring...most consumers stopped asking stupid questions as well.
Tim Budong is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2012, 04:11 AM   #266
I keep RS good

Thanked 5,538 Times in 1,502 Posts
lol i didn't give up yet, just observing. I thought about it for a few days after i stopped posting here, then i got lazy to post everything i thought up.

my views still stand, patent laws are fucked up. but i admit, they are necessary to a certain extent for a functional society. but the rules need to be adjusted.
Ulic Qel-Droma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2012, 09:04 AM   #267
reads most threads with his pants around his ankles, especially in the Forced Induction forum.

Thanked 2,191 Times in 1,131 Posts
LOL no matter how much Samsung try to Sue they won't win in US. Apple is too important to the US economy and the gov won't let Apply fall. Iphone5 have a better impact on the economy than EQ3 LOL.
Mr.HappySilp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2012, 01:53 AM   #268
Need my Daily Fix of RS

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ulic Qel-Droma View Post
lol i didn't give up yet, just observing. I thought about it for a few days after i stopped posting here, then i got lazy to post everything i thought up.

my views still stand, patent laws are fucked up. but i admit, they are necessary to a certain extent for a functional society. but the rules need to be adjusted.
Speaking of which......

New Patent Rules: What You Need to Know | Inc.com

Quote:
If you hold patents or plan to, heads up: New rules have gone into effect that constitute the biggest shake-up of the U.S. patent system in decades and maybe ever, some say.

On September 16, the second of three waves of rules began under the America Invents Act$(AIA) of 2011, legislation that brings U.S. law more in line with how the rest of the world deals with patents. Here's what to expect:

Faster Dispute Resolution

Patent disputes--such as the so-called "trial of the century" between Apple and Samsung--are costly and time consuming for everyone. These big lawsuits often involve sideshows--like bombshell emails from executives that really have little to do with whether there are valid patent rights, and questions about who lied to the U.S. Patent and Trademark Office.

According to Ed Walsh, a shareholder in the IP law firm Wolf Greenfield, AIA promotes moving the question of whether a patent was properly granted out of district court and puts it back in front of the USPTO, a move that's supposed to bring greater focus on the merits of the dispute and less on the sideshows, making the process of settling a dispute faster and less costly in the long term.

While there have been some concerns that putting all this work in the lap of the USPTO will bring its ability to process patents to a grinding halt, Walsh doesn't believe it will because the agency has been hiring scads of judges to preside over these scuffles. Plus, whereas the fee to file a patent is less than $2000, requesting a post-grant review (with up to 20 complaints for another entity's patent) from the USPTO$will cost $35,800 under the new rules.

Some have argued (PDF) that this fee will make it difficult for small businesses to file a dispute.

While Walsh believes that's true, he says it's important to remember that contested proceedings, whether in court or before the USPTO, shouldn't be started lightly. He goes on,

"These proceedings will likely only be used when there is a substantial amount at stake, which may create options for funding them or, though expensive, these proceedings may be more useful and less expensive than other options... [M]oving more information back to the patent office [is] only likely going to be relevant to people who either need to enforce or license or have someone challenging their patents. So that will be a smaller number of people."

Competitors Can Give Input Before a Patent Is Issued

The new rules also allow for pre-issue submissions that can help companies avoid costly litigation down the road.

"If you see someone is trying to patent something that would interfere with your business but you don't think that [it] would be a valid patent... you have the opportunity to provide information to the patent examiner who's looking at that patent," Walsh says. "What you would hope... is either the examiner would decide 'I agree with you, there isn't a reason to issue a patent here because this idea is not new based on this information you've shown me.' Or, they would say 'Well, there is perhaps some element of something new here but we need to make sure the patent is limited to just that very new piece.'"

Another Set of Changes Coming in March

Recommended Videos

Meet the Husband-Wife Team Behind Babysitter Site Sittercity
How a Disaster on Everest Inspired an Entrepreneur
Leader in Motion: How Choreographer Bill T. Jones Collaborates
Beginning March 16, the AIA also changes the U.S. patent model from a first-to-invent system to a first-to-file system.

"You have to file a patent application on a new idea, but the statute is redefining what kinds of events will put an idea into the public domain so it can't then be patented," Walsh says.

According to Charley Moore, founder of online legal service Rocket Lawyer (which landed at No. 72 on the Inc. 5000 list), small business inventors who have an invention need to get it on file as soon as possible or they could potentially lose the ability to patent it in the future, or at least in the same way they can now.

"It's definitely something an inventor at a minimum should look at--a provisional patent application plus a consultation with a patent lawyer. You can get all of that done for less than $1,000," he says.

Moore also points out that if a small business qualifies as a "Micro Entity"--meaning it has fewer than four previously filed patent applications and a gross income that's less than three times the median household income--it can qualify for discounted fees to the tune of 75% off the filing, search, and examination fees. He says these Micro Entities can also get$50% off the $4,800 to request a fast track, making the cost $2,400 for a USPTO review.

For more information, visit the USPTO, which has dedicated an entire section of its website to the new rules.

America Invents Act of 2011
Old 09-26-2012, 05:22 AM   #269

^ Faster dispute resolutions. Sounds like a great idea. This way Samsung can't steal IP knowing it will be 2 years before they finally get to court.

I'm still waiting for someone, anyone, to give a valid reason to allow the owner of a standard essential patent (SEP) to use that patent to block sales of a competitor. Or to restrict or prevent a competitor from using that patent.
Posted via RS Mobile
Old 09-27-2012, 12:50 PM   #270
My bookmarks are Reddit and REVscene, in that order

Thanked 13,465 Times in 1,814 Posts
Samsung raises jury misconduct in bid for new Apple trial | Apple - CNET News
Old 10-10-2012, 12:05 PM   #271
Oh goodie, 5 posts already!

Another patent for Apple
Apple gets yet another, broader slide-to-unlock patent | The Verge

Remember, patents are good and the system functions perfectly fine!

Last edited by RIC_FLAIR; 10-10-2012 at 12:34 PM.
RIC_FLAIR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2012, 12:10 PM   #272
nuggets mod

Thanked 3,782 Times in 977 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by RIC_FLAIR View Post
Another patent for Apple
Apple gets yet another, broader slide-to-unlock patent | The Verge

Remember, patents are good!
WOOOOOOOO!!
Old 10-10-2012, 12:17 PM   #273
Oh goodie, 5 posts already!

RIC_FLAIR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2012, 02:52 PM   #274
I WANT MY 10 YEARS BACK FROM RS.net!

Thanked 9,785 Times in 3,891 Posts
n00b question but why didn't google patent facial recognition unlock when they rolled out android 4?

I've noticed apple patented that this year
twitchyzero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2012, 03:00 PM   #275
Pull Out Towing. Women rescued for free.

Thanked 2,414 Times in 1,283 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by twitchyzero View Post
n00b question but why didn't google patent facial recognition unlock when they rolled out android 4?

I've noticed apple patented that this year
Didn't apple have this on their iphone 4? I remember seeing it on their commercials with the little boy trying to fake a moustach to unlock his dad's iphone.
Quote:
Originally Posted by tofu1413 View Post
and icing on the cake, lady driving a newer chrysler 200 infront of me... jumped out of her car, dropped her pants, did an immediate squat and did probably the longest public relief ever...... steam and all.

(11-0-0) Buy/Sell rating
Christine
Shitvic
Pull Out Towing
SumAznGuy is offline   Reply With Quote