REVscene - Vancouver Automotive Forum


Welcome to the REVscene Automotive Forum forums.

Registration is Free!You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today! The banners on the left side and below do not show for registered users!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.


Go Back   REVscene Automotive Forum > Automotive Chat > Vancouver Off-Topic / Current Events

Vancouver Off-Topic / Current Events The off-topic forum for Vancouver, funnies, non-auto centered discussions, WORK SAFE. While the rules are more relaxed here, there are still rules. Please refer to sticky thread in this forum.

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old 08-31-2012, 12:46 AM   #1
Willing to sell a family member for a few minutes on RS
 
Manic!'s Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2004
Location: Nanaimo
Posts: 12,913
Thanked 5,255 Times in 2,438 Posts
Bill Nye the science guy: I'll bring the facts, and you bring the Vaseline

First Bill Nye makes this video:


Then the creation museum comes out with this:



and then this happens:

Bill Nye Blasts Todd Akin, Challenges ‘Fucking Idiot’ to Debate | The Daily Currant

Quote:
Bill Nye Blasts Todd Akin, Challenges ‘Fucking Idiot’ to Debate
August 30th, 2012


Bill Nye may still be The Science Guy, but he's no longer Mr. Nice Guy.

During a live interview this morning with the Smithsonian Channel, the mild mannered science educator unloaded on U.S. Congressman Todd Akin, calling him "a fucking idiot" for accusing Nye of personally provoking Hurricane Issac.

Last week Nye uploaded a video to Youtube urging parents not to teach their children creationism. At a town hall campaign event yesterday, Akin used the video as an example of immoral behavior driving god to punish America through extreme weather.

Although reporters reached out to Nye for a statement yesterday, his first discussion of the matter came this morning at Smithsonian's Washington D.C. headquarters.

Nye Got a Feeling...

The 56 year old star of the long-running "Bill Nye The Science Guy" was in the studio to promote his new documentary series focusing on the neuroscience of childhood development.

After briefly discussing his show, the Smithsonian anchors asked Nye about Akin's recent accusation. The normally genial Nye wasted no time venting his rage about the comments:
"Look, these people they're fucking retarded. Rape can't cause pregnancy? Breastmilk cures homosexuality? I caused a hurricane by challenging creationism? Who can possibly take these people seriously anymore?"

The slightly uncomfortable anchors then tried to change the subject, but Nye persisted:

"It used to be these Republicans didn't believe in global warming or evolution. That was bad enough. Now they don't even believe in egg + sperm = baby. Where does Todd Akin think babies come from? Does he think there are separate storks for people who were raped and people who weren't? "
"Hey look over there! It's the rape stork. It drops off all its babies directly at the orphanage."
"He's a fucking idiot. Just a plain fucking idiot. I'm sorry - I don't say that word very often - but it happens to fit in this case. He's just a fucking idiot."

A Decent Proposal
As the stunned anchors hurriedly tried to wind the conversation down and cut to commercial, Nye stared directly into the camera and issued a challenge to his new-found rival:
"So Todd I got an offer for you. You and me. Any time. Any place. Debating science mano- a-mano. I'll bring the facts, and you bring the Vaseline. Because your ass is gonna
fucking need it when I'm done whipping."

Nye apologized once more for his language before ripping off his microphone and walking off the set.

Representatives of the Smithsonian Channel say they have no comment on the incident.

Bill Nye could not be reached, but a since-deleted tweet on his Twiiter account posted shortly after the incident read:
"@ToddAkin Never enter the eye of Hurricane NYE!"
**UPDATE** : Readers report that The Bill Nye Meme has arrived.


http://25.media.tumblr.com/tumblr_m9...q34o1_1280.png

LOL!!!!
Advertisement
__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by Manic! View Post
trumps the greatest leader of all time.
Spoiler!


I don't need an amplifier I'm already big, best on any track call me the Stig - Shizzo

Dusty Nuggets Rusty Shackleford Cuntar
Manic! is offline   Reply With Quote
This post FAILED by:
Old 08-31-2012, 01:00 AM   #2
My bookmarks are Reddit and REVscene, in that order
 
Culverin's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: Vancouver
Posts: 4,442
Thanked 13,465 Times in 1,814 Posts
Nye is the MAN!!!
Culverin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2012, 01:02 AM   #3
I *heart* Revscene.net very Muchie
 
Verdasco's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: Rich City / Van
Posts: 3,831
Thanked 4,982 Times in 993 Posts
nye is going a bit over the top here... but i agree with him
Verdasco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2012, 01:03 AM   #4
CPE
What hasn't Killed me, has made me more tolerant of RS!
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Vancouver
Posts: 155
Thanked 113 Times in 27 Posts
Quote:
"So Todd I got an offer for you. You and me. Any time. Any place. Debating science mano- a-mano. I'll bring the facts, and you bring the Vaseline. Because your ass is gonna fucking need it when I'm done whipping."
CPE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2012, 01:05 AM   #5
I WANT MY 10 YEARS BACK FROM RS.net!
 
twitchyzero's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: Vancouver BC
Posts: 20,234
Thanked 8,109 Times in 3,382 Posts
Quote:
Hey look over there! It's the rape stork. It drops off all its babies directly at the orphanage


__________________
zenki S2000
chuki JT Escudo
kouki Roadster RF

BST feedback

Last edited by twitchyzero; 08-31-2012 at 01:13 AM.
twitchyzero is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 08-31-2012, 01:10 AM   #6
Rs has made me the man i am today!
 
Infiniti's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2002
Location: Ottawa
Posts: 3,398
Thanked 619 Times in 240 Posts
Infiniti is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2012, 01:47 AM   #7
Where's my RS Christmas Lobster?!
 
Prolowtone's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Langley BC
Posts: 865
Thanked 336 Times in 109 Posts
He is still Awesome!
Prolowtone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2012, 01:58 AM   #8
RS controls my life!
 
jackal's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Location: Burnaby
Posts: 750
Thanked 308 Times in 88 Posts
in all seriousness i feel this is what the world needs. at lease the north american culture does. and not only about science. just a swift kick in the balls to get some of these fucking morons back to reality. bill nye gets it!!
jackal is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 08-31-2012, 02:05 AM   #9
Rs has made me the man i am today!
 
bballguy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: Home
Posts: 3,047
Thanked 1,587 Times in 631 Posts
Just a little FYI, this is fake....The Daily Currant is a satirical online newspaper......much like "The Onion"....
bballguy is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 08-31-2012, 02:14 AM   #10
PM me for my nudes
 
smoothie.'s Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Location: Burnaby
Posts: 3,854
Thanked 3,681 Times in 975 Posts
aw, thats disappointing
__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by jasonturbo View Post
Too bad it isn't about flipping cars to lose money, I'm really good at that.
Quote:
Originally Posted by SkunkWorks View Post
This wouldn't happen if you didn't drive a peasant car like an Audi...
Quote:
[14-05, 14:59] FastAnna You tiny bra wearing, gigantic son of a bitch
[15-05, 10:35] FastAnna Yeah I was dreaming of those big titties in that tiny bra
Quote:
Originally Posted by westopher View Post
I'd probably blow someone for that 911
smoothie. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2012, 04:42 AM   #11
rsx
Lomac owned my ass at least once
 
rsx's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2001
Location: Vancouver
Posts: 6,259
Thanked 3,463 Times in 820 Posts
Having debated many christians, more recently, the Langara Christian Club on their FB wall (regarding their invitation for me to hear a creationist speak), there's no winning with logic with creationists, they truly believe the Bible is God's words, any reference I make to scientists/scholars were countered by, "well...God said this."
rsx is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
This post FAILED by:
Old 08-31-2012, 05:00 AM   #12
I'm better than you.
 
b0unce. [?]'s Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Location: East Van
Posts: 8,480
Thanked 3,087 Times in 658 Posts
this is pretty awesome.
__________________


'14 Toyota Yaris [Work Daily]
'89 Toyota Cressida MX83 [Collector's status]
'15 Honda Ruckus [Summer cruiser]
'96 Toyota Hilux Surf KZN185 [Weekend Warrior]



Buy & Sell Ratings!
b0unce. [?] is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2012, 05:06 AM   #13
Hacked RS to become a mod
 
SkinnyPupp's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Location: Sunny Hong Kong
Posts: 45,959
Thanked 20,504 Times in 6,510 Posts
A man after my own heart

Not a good idea using the R-word though
SkinnyPupp is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 08-31-2012, 06:42 AM   #14
Banned By Establishment
 
Gridlock's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2003
Location: New West
Posts: 3,998
Thanked 2,982 Times in 1,135 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by rsx View Post
Having debated many christians, more recently, the Langara Christian Club on their FB wall (regarding their invitation for me to hear a creationist speak), there's no winning with logic with creationists, they truly believe the Bible is God's words, any reference I make to scientists/scholars were countered by, "well...God said this."
And your point?

A lot of times people forget that science may be crowdsourcing the answer from a large number of people, but its the same argument, reversed.

"well...God said this" but you are in turn saying, "well, science says THIS"

I often try to wrap my head around it from a different capacity. Look at the big picture, and not look at the specifics, and the story of creation is a specific. That brings me to saying you have a manual, that has been passed around on how to live a good life. Handy to have.

But it goes deeper, because as we know, people don't regard it as a manual for living a good life, they devote serious blocks of life to its study, and devotion.

So I think when you have a creationist in front of you, and you start asking questions, they can't actually say "dude, that makes sense" because if one little part unravels in their mind, the whole thing falls apart.

I was amazed by the level of religion in BC when I first moved here. We had church's and religion back east, but my first reaction to "religion(and I'll go beyond Christianity here) is "we'll see your church, and we'll bring it to you wholesale". Go big or go home.

Here's the conclusion I've come to. I think there is a 'power' at play, and I think it is a great power indeed. But much like any great illusion, it involves a little sleight of hand. That power is to just truly let go. You hand your life over to Jesus, and what you are effectively saying is "I'll run with the small stuff, and let the big stuff be the world's problem" Earthquake kills your family? God's plan. What's for dinner tonight? Don't worry Jesus, I've got this.

Imagine the sense of calm, and purpose if its no longer you vs 'the world'. Now, when you come across something that you feel you can't explain, or deal with, you pass it off to the big guy to run with. Now we add a little theatricality...we're going to gather you in groups and have you meditate-frequently. The cost is, you need full buy-in. You need to be fully engaged for it all to work.

And isn't it convenient that we start becoming closer friends with those that are in the church, and spend more time among them. Hell, we need to take our message to the streets. The more you to try to convince others, you re-inforce yourself.

And THAT is why you can type out angry diatribes on the internet all you want. You won't get anywhere. To bring this back to creationism, you will have people spend copious amounts of energy to spin it so it works.

"well...what about dinosaurs?"

You will get either: A) the devil put them there to fool you(which is my personal favorite or B) the flood fucked em up

"well, what things mentioned in the bible can be shown to have happened in the real world?"

Oh! I'm glad you asked. There is proof globally of mass floods occurring in different parts of the world at the same time

"O rly? So you mean to tell me that a guy writing a book wrote about things that happened in his world? Did he predict the fucking thing?"

They can't allow the creation story to not be true, because then you start questioning everything and that will take you out of the state of zen built upon total buy-in allowing you to pick and choose which components of life you feel you want to take credit for.

So, in short, don't try to go toe to toe thinking you'll win the argument...attack the foundation of the entire sport of organized religion and the house falls...but be careful! The devil is making you do it.
Gridlock is offline   Reply With Quote
This post FAILED by:
Old 08-31-2012, 07:16 AM   #15
Banned By Establishment
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: bedroom
Posts: 3,112
Thanked 3,492 Times in 1,176 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gridlock View Post
"well...what about dinosaurs?"
Thems fightin' words...
dinosaur is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 08-31-2012, 08:00 AM   #16
I answer every Emotion with an emoticon
 
sonick's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Location: Revscene
Posts: 7,791
Thanked 5,401 Times in 1,715 Posts
I love you Bill Nye.
__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by skyxx View Post
Sonick is a genius. I won't go into detail what's so great about his post. But it's damn good!
2009 BMW 128i - Daily Driver
2007 Toyota Rav4 Sport V6 - Wifey's Daily Driver
1999 Mazda Miata - Sold
2003 Mazda Protege5 - Sold
1987 BMW 325is - Sold
1990 Mazda Miata - Sold

100% Buy and Sell Feedback
sonick is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 08-31-2012, 10:45 AM   #17
I *heart* Revscene.net very Muchie
 
Hehe's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2002
Location: YVR/TPE
Posts: 3,765
Thanked 2,165 Times in 859 Posts
Real or not, this does bring up an interesting point.

Western society is heavily influenced by religion. And I think it's ok to have faith on something/one. But mixing that with science, an evidence based thing (for the lack of a better word) is a big no-no IMO.

We should really revamp the religious system. It is ok to have a positive thinking; that god would give us chance even in the darkest hours. Nevertheless, it should not interfere with the R&D of our science.

I think, without the moral limitation given to us by religion, we probably have hover board and lightsaber already.
__________________
Nothing for now
Hehe is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 08-31-2012, 10:47 AM   #18
#deephouse
 
knight604's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: Vancouver
Posts: 4,194
Thanked 4,704 Times in 1,243 Posts
I wish Bill Nye was my science teacher , man does he make learning fun.
knight604 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2012, 10:49 AM   #19
I *Fwap* *Fwap* *Fwap* to RS
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: vancouver
Posts: 1,533
Thanked 2,148 Times in 243 Posts
Bill Nye is the fucking man!

although i find both science and religious fanatics to be a little biased. like grid lock says, "god says this" "science says this".

my argument is how do we know that "god says this", we don't know if somebody met god randomly walking down the road. just because there is a written book about some random "thing" in the sky creating random shit, "oh i'll make this thing into what i call a human and attach a thing between the legs and call it a penis, then i'll name it MAN". for all we know, the guy who wrote the book was high on some ancient crack and wrote a fairy tale and people thought of it as to be true.

then there is "science says this" how do we really know that? nobody had the intellect to actually solve, analyze and sample things back when humans existed. so basically everything that we find from the past or in space is just best guess. thats all it is.

but i will tell ya one thing, i prefer a best guess with actual physical facts and proofs to corroborate that best guess over believing that a "entity" named god created life who has NO PHYSICAL PROOF of existing except in the minds of many.

one day, we will build a time machine, go back in time and find out what really went on, then we are gonna find out that dinosaurs were intellectually advanced and had fucking laser guns and could talk and protected the world from extinction from the invading aliens from mars. then used there fighter ships to invade mars and sacrificed their lives for the safety of earth by setting off an atomic bomb that killed the aliens and dinosaurs and left mars as a uninhabitable planet. and the fossils we dig up are just the dinosaurs' cemeteries.
bigzz786786 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2012, 10:55 AM   #20
Revscene.net has a homepage?!
 
belaud's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: Richmond
Posts: 1,287
Thanked 2,093 Times in 452 Posts
__________________
★ ☆ ★ TOP LINER ★ ☆ ★
VARIS STI "GOODSMILE"
belaud is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2012, 11:00 AM   #21
#deephouse
 
knight604's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: Vancouver
Posts: 4,194
Thanked 4,704 Times in 1,243 Posts
knight604 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2012, 11:39 AM   #22
Where's my RS Christmas Lobster?!
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: Richmond
Posts: 878
Thanked 421 Times in 186 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gridlock View Post
So I think when you have a creationist in front of you, and you start asking questions, they can't actually say "dude, that makes sense" because if one little part unravels in their mind, the whole thing falls apart.
Nailed it.

Almost every facet acts as a keystone, supporting the rest. Removing or disproving one compromises the rest.


What cannot escape me is that the two people in the second video, who hold a PhD of all things, cannot, even after several intense years of high level schooling, avoid creating an argument ridden with fallacies that stand out so plainly. Are you kidding me?
BillyBishop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2012, 11:57 AM   #23
I keep RS good
 
Ulic Qel-Droma's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2001
Location: Cosmos
Posts: 28,551
Thanked 5,450 Times in 1,458 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by knight604 View Post
I wish Bill Nye was my science teacher , man does he make learning fun.
he was all of our science teacher.
he was our science teacher, when our actual science teacher was lazy.

he taught us through a shitty TV strapped on top of a trolley.
Ulic Qel-Droma is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 08-31-2012, 12:05 PM   #24
I keep RS good
 
Ulic Qel-Droma's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2001
Location: Cosmos
Posts: 28,551
Thanked 5,450 Times in 1,458 Posts
original christianity (gnostic) may not be that wrong.

Jesus christ's teachings were closer to buddhism than anything else. in fact there is evidence jesus spent a few years around india learning before travelling west. seeing as buddhism came before any form of christianity, and the evidence we have. and what we know about gnosticism...

gnostic christianity, is the real christianity.

everything after that is the telephone game. with the new testament and all that stuff.

here's a little easy to read version:

Quote:
A mystic philosophy taught by Jesus of Nazareth. This philosophy contains the true teachings of Jesus, who seems to have been highly influenced by Buddhist philosophy. The central book in the Gnostic canon seems to have been the Gospel of Thomas. The Gospel of Thomas was written somewhere between the years of 50-90 CE. Gnosticism teaches that God is only good, but that humans view Him as bad because of the delusions of error. Jesus claimed to be teaching God with these delusions removed, which show God in a much more loving and gentle light then the Jewish scriptures. Gnosticism in ancient times had Bishops just like Catholicism. These Bishops called themselves "One Holy Church", just like the Catholics. It would appear that the Church hijacked many things from the Gnostics and then sought to destroy them and their texts.
it is very sad most of their texts were destroyed.


I've only met a handful of intellectual christians.
one was the chaplain of a military unit. he had a phd as well. him, amongst other christians (people with masters in theology or phd) that i respect, were all more like buddhists than anything else, not bible thumping zealots.

the way they explained things, was very calm, focused more on perspective, expectations, attachment and desire... and less about sin and punishment and what "god" said.
they seemed to remove all the characters, and quotes from the bible, and looked at it from the original point of view, more so than anything else. never quoting the bible, or god, or any of that junk that has been manipulated over thousands of years.

Last edited by Ulic Qel-Droma; 09-01-2012 at 07:59 AM.
Ulic Qel-Droma is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 08-31-2012, 12:30 PM   #25
I signed up to a Zionist website and all the Illuminati gave me was this lousy usertitle
 
CharlesInCharge's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: Vancouver
Posts: 1,936
Thanked 637 Times in 368 Posts
These manipulative dumb talk Republicans and the classless twat Nye are both a part of a larger scheme to break down peoples morals to further control them. See @ 8 min mark
CharlesInCharge is offline   Reply With Quote
This post FAILED by:
Reply

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are Off



All times are GMT -8. The time now is 07:26 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2020, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
SEO by vBSEO ©2011, Crawlability, Inc.
Revscene.net cannot be held accountable for the actions of its members nor does the opinions of the members represent that of Revscene.net