REVscene - Vancouver Automotive Forum


Welcome to the REVscene Automotive Forum forums.

Registration is Free!You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today! The banners on the left side and below do not show for registered users!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.


Go Back   REVscene Automotive Forum > Automotive Chat > Vancouver Off-Topic / Current Events

Vancouver Off-Topic / Current Events The off-topic forum for Vancouver, funnies, non-auto centered discussions, WORK SAFE. While the rules are more relaxed here, there are still rules. Please refer to sticky thread in this forum.

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old 09-06-2012, 04:33 PM   #76
Proud to be called a RS Regular!
 
Pally777's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: Vancouver
Posts: 108
Thanked 11 Times in 11 Posts
Lol. Love the responses.

You're basing your proofs on your 5 senses. You "know", because you feel, see, hear, smell and taste? Heck, I can use electrical signals to make you sense those things. Our senses are just electrical signals to our brains. All I'm saying is you put all your faith in your 5 senses alone.

In the end, it's about what your brain perceives. How can you say to someone who perceives something other than what you do as stupid?

People who believe in God, which include myself, perceive God in our lives. We translate that to the world we observe. What's wrong with having a different perspective?

People who call themselves scientists and close their mind to creationist theories are bigots and hypocrites. You can't disproof creationist theories nor can you disproof evolutionary theories. Whoever says they can do either is lying.
Advertisement
Pally777 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2012, 04:40 PM   #77
14 dolla balla aint got nothing on me!
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: Vancouver
Posts: 671
Thanked 1,120 Times in 280 Posts
Yeah again both sides have their stubborn people, personally I don't believe in god, but rather I believe we're all held captive within a program designed to keep us happy and incapacitated. It happened after the robots rebelled and took control of the world, we blocked out the sun (their primary source of energy) but it backfired and they ended up usin our bodies for energy.... Still waiting on our messiah to take us into the real world. Hopefully it'll take off and become one of the leading religions (this is why I think Scientology is a troll religion)
duy- is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2012, 04:44 PM   #78
Banned (ABWS)
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Location: lulu island
Posts: 88
Thanked 47 Times in 25 Posts
"Religion is the sigh of the oppressed creature, the heart of a heartless world, and the soul of soulless conditions. It is the opium of the people." - Karl Marx
guava is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 09-06-2012, 08:50 PM   #79
I WANT MY 10 YEARS BACK FROM RS.net!
 
twitchyzero's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: Vancouver BC
Posts: 20,222
Thanked 8,103 Times in 3,380 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pally777 View Post
So we assume we know what truth is?

Science is based on putting faith in your 5 senses. Religion is based on putting faith in God. I don't see how you can say either is truth since both requires faith.

It is just easier to put your faith only on your 5 senses since you use it everyday and it's familiar. That doesn't make it truth. I don't think anyone can claim they know the truth.
__________________
zenki S2000
chuki JT Escudo
kouki Roadster RF

BST feedback
twitchyzero is online now   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 09-06-2012, 09:17 PM   #80
resident Oil Guru
 
LiquidTurbo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Location: Vancouver
Posts: 7,716
Thanked 10,457 Times in 1,794 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pally777 View Post
Lol. Love the responses.

You're basing your proofs on your 5 senses. You "know", because you feel, see, hear, smell and taste? Heck, I can use electrical signals to make you sense those things. Our senses are just electrical signals to our brains. All I'm saying is you put all your faith in your 5 senses alone.

In the end, it's about what your brain perceives. How can you say to someone who perceives something other than what you do as stupid?

People who believe in God, which include myself, perceive God in our lives. We translate that to the world we observe. What's wrong with having a different perspective?

People who call themselves scientists and close their mind to creationist theories are bigots and hypocrites. You can't disproof creationist theories nor can you disproof evolutionary theories. Whoever says they can do either is lying.
Hahaha, thanks for the laugh man.. you remind me with this..

Spoiler!

Last edited by LiquidTurbo; 09-07-2012 at 11:51 PM.
LiquidTurbo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2012, 10:42 PM   #81
Proud to be called a RS Regular!
 
Pally777's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: Vancouver
Posts: 108
Thanked 11 Times in 11 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by LiquidTurbo View Post
Hahaha, thanks for the laugh man.. you remind me with this..
Now I recall why I stopped posting in discussions like these. No intelligent discussions, it's all about flaming and mocking. Lol...
Pally777 is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
This post FAILED by:
Old 09-06-2012, 10:50 PM   #82
Rs has made me the man i am today!
 
bballguy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: Home
Posts: 3,047
Thanked 1,587 Times in 631 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pally777 View Post
Now I recall why I stopped posting in discussions like these. No intelligent discussions, it's all about flaming and mocking. Lol...
Because you are talking stupid....You're basically saying that nothing in life is true or false, real or fake, because nothing can be proven or disproven because everything is based on the 5 senses which are simply electrical signals, etc, etc....like seriously......I feel stupid just responding to you right now...
bballguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2012, 10:54 PM   #83
I keep RS good
 
Ulic Qel-Droma's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2001
Location: Cosmos
Posts: 28,548
Thanked 5,449 Times in 1,457 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pally777 View Post
Lol. Love the responses.

You're basing your proofs on your 5 senses. You "know", because you feel, see, hear, smell and taste? Heck, I can use electrical signals to make you sense those things. Our senses are just electrical signals to our brains. All I'm saying is you put all your faith in your 5 senses alone.

In the end, it's about what your brain perceives. How can you say to someone who perceives something other than what you do as stupid?

People who believe in God, which include myself, perceive God in our lives. We translate that to the world we observe. What's wrong with having a different perspective?

People who call themselves scientists and close their mind to creationist theories are bigots and hypocrites. You can't disproof creationist theories nor can you disproof evolutionary theories. Whoever says they can do either is lying.

can you define your perception of what god is?

as much detail as possible please.

if your perception of him includes a physical form. etc.


obviously you're a smart guy and the earth isnt 6000 years old. so you're not agreeing with what the stereotypical "god" is like. big dude white beard, sitting on some cloud, somewhere. looking down and like.. twiddling his fingers and divine spells are cast or whatever.

so what exactly is your god? because when christians say god, what i just described, is what i see in my head.

and im sure that's what everyone else sees. so if that's not god. what exactly is your god?
Ulic Qel-Droma is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 09-06-2012, 11:02 PM   #84
resident Oil Guru
 
LiquidTurbo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Location: Vancouver
Posts: 7,716
Thanked 10,457 Times in 1,794 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pally777 View Post
Now I recall why I stopped posting in discussions like these. No intelligent discussions, it's all about flaming and mocking. Lol...
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pally777 View Post
People who call themselves scientists and close their mind to creationist theories are bigots and hypocrites. You can't disproof creationist theories nor can you disproof evolutionary theories. Whoever says they can do either is lying.
How can you 'disprove' something that is made up?

By your logic:
Santa Claus lives invisibly on the north pole. You can't disprove that.
LiquidTurbo is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 09-06-2012, 11:22 PM   #85
rsx
Lomac owned my ass at least once
 
rsx's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2001
Location: Vancouver
Posts: 6,259
Thanked 3,463 Times in 820 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pally777 View Post
Now I recall why I stopped posting in discussions like these. No intelligent discussions, it's all about flaming and mocking. Lol...
Feel free to jump in with an intelligent argument anytime soon, we're waiting.

Faith means not wanting to know what is true. — Friedrich Nietzsche

Last edited by rsx; 09-06-2012 at 11:32 PM.
rsx is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
This post FAILED by:
Old 09-06-2012, 11:53 PM   #86
Head Moderator
 
Lomac's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 1982
Location: Great White Nor
Posts: 22,646
Thanked 6,409 Times in 2,069 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pally777 View Post
Lol. Love the responses.

You're basing your proofs on your 5 senses. You "know", because you feel, see, hear, smell and taste? Heck, I can use electrical signals to make you sense those things. Our senses are just electrical signals to our brains. All I'm saying is you put all your faith in your 5 senses alone.

In the end, it's about what your brain perceives. How can you say to someone who perceives something other than what you do as stupid?

People who believe in God, which include myself, perceive God in our lives. We translate that to the world we observe. What's wrong with having a different perspective?

People who call themselves scientists and close their mind to creationist theories are bigots and hypocrites. You can't disproof creationist theories nor can you disproof evolutionary theories. Whoever says they can do either is lying.
So if we can't trust our senses, then what?
Lomac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2012, 11:54 PM   #87
I *heart* Revscene.net very Muchie
 
Matsuda's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2003
Location: Vancouver
Posts: 3,653
Thanked 5,825 Times in 1,058 Posts
that reminds me, I've been wanting to watch Religulous =D
__________________
artofstance
artofstance on facebook
artofstance on Instagram
artofstance on twitter
Proud member of GRAPE Great Revscene Action Photographers Enthusiasts
--------------------------------------------
2018 Volkswagen Golf R
1999 Mazda Miata *sold*
2005 Mazda 3 *sold*
2002 Volvo S40 *RIP*
1989 Volvo 740 *RIP*
Matsuda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2012, 03:53 AM   #88
rsx
Lomac owned my ass at least once
 
rsx's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2001
Location: Vancouver
Posts: 6,259
Thanked 3,463 Times in 820 Posts
pally777's teacher
rsx is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 09-07-2012, 04:46 AM   #89
Hacked RS to become a mod
 
SkinnyPupp's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Location: Sunny Hong Kong
Posts: 45,945
Thanked 20,494 Times in 6,507 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by rsx View Post
the patience of that guy...
SkinnyPupp is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 09-07-2012, 06:26 AM   #90
Rs has made me the man i am today!
 
bballguy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: Home
Posts: 3,047
Thanked 1,587 Times in 631 Posts
lol didn't even bother watching the video, but that dumbass look on her face says it all lmfao...
bballguy is offline   Reply With Quote
This post FAILED by:
Old 09-07-2012, 07:18 AM   #91
resident Oil Guru
 
LiquidTurbo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Location: Vancouver
Posts: 7,716
Thanked 10,457 Times in 1,794 Posts
I watched it and I grimaced. wtf.
<em>Posted via RS Mobile</em>
LiquidTurbo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2012, 07:20 AM   #92
Hacked RS to become a mod
 
SkinnyPupp's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Location: Sunny Hong Kong
Posts: 45,945
Thanked 20,494 Times in 6,507 Posts
I actually watched 2 of the 7 parts. It's the same fucking thing over and over. She keeps saying "show me the evidence" then he shows her the evidence, and she ignores it. Repeat over and over and over again.
SkinnyPupp is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 09-07-2012, 07:22 AM   #93
resident Oil Guru
 
LiquidTurbo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Location: Vancouver
Posts: 7,716
Thanked 10,457 Times in 1,794 Posts
Aaah the classic "there no macro evolution just micro ".
<em>Posted via RS Mobile</em>
LiquidTurbo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2012, 09:17 AM   #94
RS.net, helping ugly ppl have sex since 2001
 
JKam's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: Burnaby
Posts: 8,027
Thanked 552 Times in 237 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pally777 View Post
Lol. Love the responses.

You're basing your proofs on your 5 senses. You "know", because you feel, see, hear, smell and taste? Heck, I can use electrical signals to make you sense those things. Our senses are just electrical signals to our brains. All I'm saying is you put all your faith in your 5 senses alone.

In the end, it's about what your brain perceives. How can you say to someone who perceives something other than what you do as stupid?
Thanks but I'd rather put my "faith" in science. At least with science I can PROVE that combining 2 hydrogen molecules to 1 oxygen will give me water, among other things... By the way.. without science you wouldn't be able to use electrical signals to make me sense anything. I'm not putting my faith in my senses. I'm putting my faith in things that can be proven and replicated.

What evidence do you have that religion > science? With science, results can be tested and replicated. Your argument to this (I'm sure) will be well why don't we replicate the big bang? Well.. we're making progress. Our existence on earth is a short time so obviously we can't 100% say, yes this is how you create a universe. I'm sure eventually we can figure it out.

Please show me some (widely accepted) evidence or even progress of proving the existence of Eden or Noah's ark or any other story from the bible.

Science = testing and finding the truth
Religion = take the holy text for what it is and never stray from what it says.

Now, I'm not saying religion is bad.. it's just the people that take it WAY too seriously and refuse to believe in science.
JKam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2012, 10:33 AM   #95
Wunder? Wonder?? Wander???
 
matter's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2001
Location: Richmond
Posts: 210
Thanked 87 Times in 31 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by JKam View Post
Please show me some (widely accepted) evidence or even progress of proving the existence of Eden or Noah's ark or any other story from the bible.
I'll take the bait. The historical figure of Jesus existed; but the miracles etc can never be proven.
Historicity of Jesus - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

There is always going to be extremists at either ends of this discussion. Some of whom are clearly in denial. You can't deny the validity of science.
__________________
Altius Citius Fortius
matter is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 09-07-2012, 10:42 AM   #96
I contribute to threads in the offtopic forum
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: n zone
Posts: 2,660
Thanked 1,910 Times in 606 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pally777 View Post
Lol. Love the responses.

You're basing your proofs on your 5 senses. You "know", because you feel, see, hear, smell and taste? Heck, I can use electrical signals to make you sense those things. Our senses are just electrical signals to our brains. All I'm saying is you put all your faith in your 5 senses alone.

In the end, it's about what your brain perceives. How can you say to someone who perceives something other than what you do as stupid?

People who believe in God, which include myself, perceive God in our lives. We translate that to the world we observe. What's wrong with having a different perspective?

People who call themselves scientists and close their mind to creationist theories are bigots and hypocrites. You can't disproof creationist theories nor can you disproof evolutionary theories. Whoever says they can do either is lying.
you are completely fucking retarded.

first, we have like 10-15 senses

creationism isn't a "theory" because there is 0 scientific evidence that supports it
Sid Vicious is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2012, 12:06 PM   #97
RS.net, helping ugly ppl have sex since 2001
 
JKam's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: Burnaby
Posts: 8,027
Thanked 552 Times in 237 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by matter View Post
I'll take the bait. The historical figure of Jesus existed; but the miracles etc can never be proven.
Historicity of Jesus - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

There is always going to be extremists at either ends of this discussion. Some of whom are clearly in denial. You can't deny the validity of science.
Cool, I'll give that a full read later however after quick skim it just looks like more secondary research/old texts. Personally I don't really give old texts much validity..

Personally I do believe in the existence of Jesus. What I don't believe is that he was resurrected and was born from a virgin Mary and also the son of God. I'll have to read through the link but how do we know they refer to THE Jesus and not another man named Jesus? I'm assuming that was a pretty common name back in the day.
JKam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2012, 12:48 PM   #98
2010 RS Top Food Critic Winner
 
K-Dub's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: Vancouver
Posts: 5,410
Thanked 694 Times in 233 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by bigzz786786 View Post
Bill Nye is the fucking man!

although i find both science and religious fanatics to be a little biased. like grid lock says, "god says this" "science says this".

my argument is how do we know that "god says this", we don't know if somebody met god randomly walking down the road. just because there is a written book about some random "thing" in the sky creating random shit, "oh i'll make this thing into what i call a human and attach a thing between the legs and call it a penis, then i'll name it MAN". for all we know, the guy who wrote the book was high on some ancient crack and wrote a fairy tale and people thought of it as to be true.

then there is "science says this" how do we really know that? nobody had the intellect to actually solve, analyze and sample things back when humans existed. so basically everything that we find from the past or in space is just best guess. thats all it is.

but i will tell ya one thing, i prefer a best guess with actual physical facts and proofs to corroborate that best guess over believing that a "entity" named god created life who has NO PHYSICAL PROOF of existing except in the minds of many.

one day, we will build a time machine, go back in time and find out what really went on, then we are gonna find out that dinosaurs were intellectually advanced and had fucking laser guns and could talk and protected the world from extinction from the invading aliens from mars. then used there fighter ships to invade mars and sacrificed their lives for the safety of earth by setting off an atomic bomb that killed the aliens and dinosaurs and left mars as a uninhabitable planet. and the fossils we dig up are just the dinosaurs' cemeteries.

K-Dub is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2012, 10:32 PM   #99
I answer every Emotion with an emoticon
 
Nightwalker's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2002
Location: Van Isle
Posts: 7,655
Thanked 443 Times in 188 Posts
Ugh. Arguing against science is like arguing with the sun for shining.
__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by MajinHurricane View Post
who would ban me? lol. Look at my post count.

Last edited by Nightwalker; 09-07-2012 at 10:37 PM.
Nightwalker is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 09-08-2012, 12:10 AM   #100
Proud to be called a RS Regular!
 
Pally777's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: Vancouver
Posts: 108
Thanked 11 Times in 11 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Matsuda View Post
that reminds me, I've been wanting to watch Religulous =D
Watched it at VIFF few years back. I got a good laugh from all the extremist/crazies they used in his "interviews". It's a mock-umentary, so it's expected.
Pally777 is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are Off



All times are GMT -8. The time now is 04:07 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2020, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
SEO by vBSEO ©2011, Crawlability, Inc.
Revscene.net cannot be held accountable for the actions of its members nor does the opinions of the members represent that of Revscene.net