REVscene - Vancouver Automotive Forum

Welcome to the REVscene Automotive Forum forums.

Registration is Free!You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today! The banners on the left side and below do not show for registered users!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   REVscene Automotive Forum > Automotive Chat > Vancouver Off-Topic / Current Events

Vancouver Off-Topic / Current Events The off-topic forum for Vancouver, funnies, non-auto centered discussions, WORK SAFE. While the rules are more relaxed here, there are still rules. Please refer to sticky thread in this forum.

Old 09-27-2014, 11:08 PM   #2851
I contribute to threads in the offtopic forum

Thanked 2,595 Times in 922 Posts
quit feeding the troll...
Advertisement
Gucci Mane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2014, 11:12 PM   #2852
Banned By Establishment

Quote:
Originally Posted by Energy View Post
That's really nice that you can supposedly do all that fun stuff. Good for you.
im a really nice guy I love hanging out with everyday ordinary people, I don't flash $ like im better than everyonelse.
alphaspec1mens is offline   Reply With Quote
This post FAILED by:
Old 09-27-2014, 11:19 PM   #2853
Lomac owned my ass at least once

Thanked 6,187 Times in 2,466 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by alphaspec1mens View Post
im a really nice guy I love hanging out with everyday ordinary people, I don't flash $ like im better than everyonelse.
But it is entirely OK to brag about your wealth on the Internet behind the safety of a computer screen.

(Sorry for feeding the troll, but I just couldn't resist.)
Traum is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 09-27-2014, 11:26 PM   #2854
Banned By Establishment

Quote:
Originally Posted by Traum View Post
But it is entirely OK to brag about your wealth on the Internet behind the safety of a computer screen.

I am full of myself yes, but that is because i am the shit

I am a millionaire, who wouldn't?
alphaspec1mens is offline   Reply With Quote
This post FAILED by:
Old 09-28-2014, 12:25 AM   #2855
#savethemanuals

Thanked 2,551 Times in 950 Posts
Quote:

Yes you are supposedly a millionaire.

But your alleged money can't buy you class, intelligence or respect.

What you are is an alpha-parasite.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Traum View Post

Yeah, he's a bit slow in the head. Too much imaginary money.
Energy is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 09-28-2014, 02:11 AM   #2856

Thanked 1,941 Times in 765 Posts
Quote:

That is such a sad attitude.

I have money therefore I am good.

No,

I live an amazing life full of experiences that most can't, and as such I have empathy for the hard working man and hope their life can be made better by something simple I do - now that's a fucking good attitude to have (is mine, and trust me, I out alpha the fuck outta you. And 6'1"? Ha, you are short in my books)
4444 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2014, 02:18 AM   #2857
Head Moderator

Thanked 6,462 Times in 2,081 Posts
Quote:

Kinda funny how we have genuine Millionaire's on this website, yet you don't hear about it because they don't brag about that fact. They also drive some of the most unassuming vehicles.

Regardless, you're not going to see this because you've been banned from this thread.

Just realized who you are... Diesel_test. Fuck off.

Anyway, back to the exciting world of Vancouver RE!
Lomac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2014, 06:26 AM   #2858
I *heart* Revscene.net very Muchie

Thanked 3,814 Times in 957 Posts
Lol about time. Reading his posts gave me cancer.
flagella is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2014, 06:31 AM   #2859
I am Hook'd on RS

Quote:
Originally Posted by flagella View Post
Lol about time. Reading his posts gave me cancer.
Lucky you. I contracted smallpox from his posts.

#ThankYouBasedLomac
cheeky_scrub is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2014, 11:26 AM   #2860
#savethemanuals

Thanked 2,551 Times in 950 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lomac View Post
Kinda funny how we have genuine Millionaire's on this website, yet you don't hear about it because they don't brag about that fact. They also drive some of the most unassuming vehicles.

Regardless, you're not going to see this because you've been banned from this thread.

Just realized who you are... Diesel_test. Fuck off.

Anyway, back to the exciting world of Vancouver RE!
Can you please just ban him outright and not just from this thread?
Energy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2014, 04:50 PM   #2861
reads most threads with his pants around his ankles, especially in the Forced Induction forum.

Thanked 2,191 Times in 1,131 Posts
Let's get back to topic.
Mr.HappySilp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2014, 10:49 PM   #2862
RS has made me the bitter person i am today!

Thanked 2,438 Times in 1,120 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr.HappySilp View Post
Let's get back to topic.
I think diesel_test's remarks were a pleasant diversion from the basic consensus reached in this thread:

1. Vancouver's real estate is over-valued and ripe for a big-time correction.
2. Vancouver's economy can't support current prices because there are no high-paying jobs and no head offices.
3. Moreover, Vancouver neither has the panache nor the "it factor" to sustain high prices over the long-term. In fact, it's a backwater with residents who are inward looking, unambitious, and suspicious of outsiders. Any major city in Europe, Asia, or the US has far more going for it than Vancouver which makes current prices inexplicable, particularly for the savvy investor/globetrotting alpha male.
Tapioca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2014, 07:50 AM   #2863
I am Hook'd on RS

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tapioca View Post
2. Vancouver's economy can't support current prices because there are no high-paying jobs and no head offices.
3. Moreover, Vancouver neither has the panache nor the "it factor" to sustain high prices over the long-term. In fact, it's a backwater with residents who are inward looking, unambitious, and suspicious of outsiders. Any major city in Europe, Asia, or the US has far more going for it than Vancouver which makes current prices inexplicable, particularly for the savvy investor/globetrotting alpha male.
Damn, brah. Quit shitting on my hometown.

Just kidding.

I don't disagree with your points, but I still love Vancouver. It's the juxtaposition between big city and small town that gives it its charm. Urban and sleepy, cosmopolitan and laid-back. As a twentysomething male, I could move to HK, Shenzhen, Toronto, NYC, Dubai, London and move up the ladder way faster than I could in Vancouver, but life moves at the speed of light in those cities and it's very intimidating.

Living in Vancouver isn't dooming yourself to mediocrity. It requires you to play the game differently.

Besides, Vancouver is an awesome place to live.

You think traffic in Vancouver is bad? Try going down I-5 or Highway 401. Those are 24/7 parking lots.

You think Translink sucks? Living in the Bay Area basically requires you to have a car, unless you live right in the middle of SF (and can spend $3000 on a 1 bedroom box).

You think there's a homeless problem in Vancouver? Pioneer Square in Seattle makes the DTES look like the British Properties.

You think there's a lot of crime in Vancouver? Oakland and East Palo Alto are killing fields.

You have to decide what's important to you. If you want to be in the centre of the action, then somewhere like SF or Toronto will suit you well. If you prefer a slower pace of life, Vancouver is a perfectly good town.
This post thanked by:
Old 09-29-2014, 10:45 AM   #2864
I told him no, what y'all do?

Thanked 5,779 Times in 2,488 Posts
and yet prices still climb for single detached homes in vancouver. it seems as though the new/newish homes in east van and areas just crossing in to van west are in that 1-1.5 mill range now, even 1.7-.8 range.

besides people saying foreign money is coming in, i've been told those that bought homes on the west side decades ago now are selling and buying new homes east eg. sell a van west home for 2+mill and then moving to van east or burnaby to buy a new home for say 1.2 mill...not sure what the basis for this is but it seems reasonable to me...

Quote:
Greenstoner
1 rat shit ruins the whole congee
originalhypa
You cannot live the life of a whore and expect a monument to your chastity
Quote:
[22-12, 08:51]mellomandidnt think and went in straight..scrapped like a bitch
[17-09, 12:07]FastAnna glowjob
[17-09, 12:08]FastAnna I like dat

GLOW is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 09-29-2014, 09:30 PM   #2865
WOAH! i think Vtec just kicked in!

Quote:
Originally Posted by GLOW View Post
and yet prices still climb for single detached homes in vancouver. it seems as though the new/newish homes in east van and areas just crossing in to van west are in that 1-1.5 mill range now, even 1.7-.8 range.

besides people saying foreign money is coming in, i've been told those that bought homes on the west side decades ago now are selling and buying new homes east eg. sell a van west home for 2+mill and then moving to van east or burnaby to buy a new home for say 1.2 mill...not sure what the basis for this is but it seems reasonable to me...
well. for anyone who bought a home on the west side 10-20 years ago, selling the home would probably yield them a $2 million + dollar payday. They still need a place to live, so they buy a nice home in east van or Burnaby for $1 million or 1.2 million, they still have $800,000 to $1,000,000 left to live off of.

For the average person in Vancouver that makes approximately 50K, it would take them a lifetime to save that much. One can live very comfortably on $800K, especially if they are still working.
iEatClams is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 09-29-2014, 09:49 PM   #2866
UFO
I *heart* Revscene.net very Muchie

That's the trickle down effect of foreign money. Injects money and momentum into the system. The ones in east van/bby selling their houses for 1.2M can then in turn buy a cheaper property further out, live off that profit, then the cycle keeps going
UFO is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 09-30-2014, 06:56 AM   #2867

Quote:
Originally Posted by cheeky_scrub View Post
Damn, brah. Quit shitting on my hometown.

Just kidding.

I don't disagree with your points, but I still love Vancouver. It's the juxtaposition between big city and small town that gives it its charm. Urban and sleepy, cosmopolitan and laid-back. As a twentysomething male, I could move to HK, Shenzhen, Toronto, NYC, Dubai, London and move up the ladder way faster than I could in Vancouver, but life moves at the speed of light in those cities and it's very intimidating.

Living in Vancouver isn't dooming yourself to mediocrity. It requires you to play the game differently.

Besides, Vancouver is an awesome place to live.

You think traffic in Vancouver is bad? Try going down I-5 or Highway 401. Those are 24/7 parking lots.

You think Translink sucks? Living in the Bay Area basically requires you to have a car, unless you live right in the middle of SF (and can spend $3000 on a 1 bedroom box).

You think there's a homeless problem in Vancouver? Pioneer Square in Seattle makes the DTES look like the British Properties.

You think there's a lot of crime in Vancouver? Oakland and East Palo Alto are killing fields.

You have to decide what's important to you. If you want to be in the centre of the action, then somewhere like SF or Toronto will suit you well. If you prefer a slower pace of life, Vancouver is a perfectly good town.
Similarity I don't disagree with what ur saying, but it is somewhat pointless taking each point and comparing to a different city.

Looking on the whole I think there are major problems with the city that ppl just gloss over bc "everyone wants to live here"

Just as you have done I could pick 1 city better than vancouver for each metric discussed, but doing so is as pointless as you picking 1 city separately worse in each metric
Old 09-30-2014, 06:59 AM   #2868

Quote:
Originally Posted by UFO View Post
That's the trickle down effect of foreign money. Injects money and momentum into the system. The ones in east van/bby selling their houses for 1.2M can then in turn buy a cheaper property further out, live off that profit, then the cycle keeps going
This is entirely true, but has a finite life, as a lot of people just do not want the downgrade in lifestyle that (in some eyes) comes with moving further and further east.

With all due respect to east Van, bby - if u lived in Van west or west Van, would u want to live out there? It makes the whole point of living in vancouver somewhat moot when you have to give up ur life and live in a new neighbourhood etc. just to be able to stick it out
This post thanked by:
Old 09-30-2014, 01:45 PM   #2869
I am Hook'd on RS

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4444 View Post
Similarity I don't disagree with what ur saying, but it is somewhat pointless taking each point and comparing to a different city.

Looking on the whole I think there are major problems with the city that ppl just gloss over bc "everyone wants to live here"

Just as you have done I could pick 1 city better than vancouver for each metric discussed, but doing so is as pointless as you picking 1 city separately worse in each metric
You're not wrong. I'm just telling you why I prefer to live in Vancouver over Seattle, SF, or Toronto, even though I could rise up the ladder faster.

You're also not wrong that there are problems in Vancouver that are being ignored. I think, being an avid news watcher, that the problems facing Vancouver are easier to stomach than what's going on in other big cities--this is one of the reasons I'm not saying "I want to get out of Vancouver ASAP".

Seeing the huge protests in Seattle to increase the minimum wage; the CCP flexing its muscle over Hong Kong; crumbling infrastructure in Montreal; Rob Ford destroying the Transit City plan for some stupid subways; police corruption in the states from the Dorner affair to "Stop and Frisk" to Ferguson; young people being crushed by debt for getting sick or going to college; I think we're very lucky to be living in Vancouver, BC, and Canada as a whole.
Old 10-01-2014, 08:43 AM   #2870
Banned (ABWS)

Quote:
Originally Posted by cheeky_scrub View Post
You're not wrong. I'm just telling you why I prefer to live in Vancouver over Seattle, SF, or Toronto, even though I could rise up the ladder faster.

You're also not wrong that there are problems in Vancouver that are being ignored. I think, being an avid news watcher, that the problems facing Vancouver are easier to stomach than what's going on in other big cities--this is one of the reasons I'm not saying "I want to get out of Vancouver ASAP".

Seeing the huge protests in Seattle to increase the minimum wage; the CCP flexing its muscle over Hong Kong; crumbling infrastructure in Montreal; Rob Ford destroying the Transit City plan for some stupid subways; police corruption in the states from the Dorner affair to "Stop and Frisk" to Ferguson; young people being crushed by debt for getting sick or going to college; I think we're very lucky to be living in Vancouver, BC, and Canada as a whole.
Actually I see a lot of parallels between Hong Kong and Vancouver.

Shit expensive housing compared to the salaries of people there, younger losing hope of having a decent life, and lackluster industry that's focused on services vs manufacturing.

It's like Hong Kong is 5-10 years ahead of Vancouver.
twdm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2014, 09:12 AM   #2871
My homepage has been set to RS

Thanked 1,874 Times in 604 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by 4444 View Post
This is entirely true, but has a finite life, as a lot of people just do not want the downgrade in lifestyle that (in some eyes) comes with moving further and further east.

With all due respect to east Van, bby - if u lived in Van west or west Van, would u want to live out there? It makes the whole point of living in vancouver somewhat moot when you have to give up ur life and live in a new neighbourhood etc. just to be able to stick it out
Most people moving to Main Street between Broadway to 33rd (still eastside), are coming from the Westside. Main street imo is way overpriced, but has that bohemian Kits vibe from 10yrs ago. I think the stigma of East Side Vs Westside is slowly changing. 10yrs ago, anyone who lived in Vancouver West would not consider chinatown, gastown, or downtown eastside, now they are the hottest markets. Even Stathcona is heating up.
86 944 Turbo with 340rwhp Lindsay Racing kit
15 991 PTS GT3
18 VW Golf R
Z3guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2014, 09:25 AM   #2872
Willing to sell body for a few minutes on RS

Thanked 30,977 Times in 7,100 Posts
I can't understand these people moving to gastown, chinatown, and DTES and paying big money for it. It made sense for a couple of streets, that were a bit sheltered from the bullshit, but seriously, the areas are SHITHOLES. Drug addicts beating their girlfriends, prostitutes, meth deals, etc. I sure as fuck don't want my wife walking through there at 2AM after work, and I especially don't want her to be walking through it on her way to a 550 sq foot "1 bedroom" for 430k. South main is a nice compromise and the worst you have to deal with is a drunk hipster running a stop sign because his fixie has no brakes. Still, if I'm going to pay the outlandish prices to buy here, I'll pay the 50k premium to live west of Granville.
Westopher is correct.
Quote:
Originally Posted by fsy82 View Post
seems like you got a dick up your ass well..get that checked
Quote:
Originally Posted by punkwax View Post
Well.. I’d hate to be the first to say it, but Westopher is correct.

Last edited by westopher; 10-01-2014 at 09:45 AM.
westopher is online now   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 10-01-2014, 09:34 AM   #2873
My homepage has been set to RS

Thanked 1,874 Times in 604 Posts
^ I totally agree with you Westopher.....I like your drunk hipster comment lol! I have been working out of the Aritzia building on Alexander Street (DTES) for the past 10yrs. I can tell you 10 yrs ago, I would not feel comfortable for the girls that work in our office to walk to the parkade alone at night. Tons of escorts, drug dealers, people with mental challenges all over the place. Now, trendy restaurants, really high end low cost housing (???), kool furniture shops, and lots of video game production places.
Let's face it, most Vancouver people don't party on Granville or Yaletown anymore, they come to Gastown.

But I am the same as you Westopher, I would pay the small premium and live on the westside.....
86 944 Turbo with 340rwhp Lindsay Racing kit
15 991 PTS GT3
18 VW Golf R
Z3guy is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 10-01-2014, 02:16 PM   #2874
Banned (ABWS)

Quote:
Originally Posted by westopher View Post
I can't understand these people moving to gastown, chinatown, and DTES and paying big money for it.
It's the city vibe mentality gotta be close to or near downtown as possible even if that means living in a suspect neighborhood like gastown/e.hastings

Heaven forbid I have to travel 20 min on skytrain to commute to Vancouver from Burnaby/New West. Even though you get way more value for your dollar in those suburbs.

But noooooooo.... got to be ultra close to the downtown core. Can't afford Yaletown, Coal Harbor, Downtown Westside so I'll compromise to cheaper area's that are Heatscore as fuck!

Honestly, I would rather live in Langley, Abottsford, Maple Ridge than E.Hastings or Gastown where junkies, addicts, sex trade workers are near me 24/7.
Shark Tank is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2014, 04:13 PM   #2875
Banned (ABWS)

Everyone wasting 3hrs a day round trip agrees with you
The idea is that hastings will someday turn into yaletown and the trash gets swept out to surrey.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shark Tank View Post
It's the city vibe mentality gotta be close to or near downtown as possible even if that means living in a suspect neighborhood like gastown/e.hastings

Heaven forbid I have to travel 20 min on skytrain to commute to Vancouver from Burnaby/New West. Even though you get way more value for your dollar in those suburbs.

But noooooooo.... got to be ultra close to the downtown core. Can't afford Yaletown, Coal Harbor, Downtown Westside so I'll compromise to cheaper area's that are Heatscore as fuck!

Honestly, I would rather live in Langley, Abottsford, Maple Ridge than E.Hastings or Gastown where junkies, addicts, sex trade workers are near me 24/7.

Last edited by Nomomo; 10-01-2014 at 04:45 PM.
Nomomo is offline   Reply With Quote