REVscene - Vancouver Automotive Forum

Welcome to the REVscene Automotive Forum forums.

Registration is Free!You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today! The banners on the left side and below do not show for registered users!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   REVscene Automotive Forum > Automotive Chat > Vancouver Off-Topic / Current Events

Vancouver Off-Topic / Current Events The off-topic forum for Vancouver, funnies, non-auto centered discussions, WORK SAFE. While the rules are more relaxed here, there are still rules. Please refer to sticky thread in this forum.

Old 10-01-2014, 07:08 PM   #2876
It's like going crazy when you're already nuts

Thanked 2,902 Times in 749 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by 4444 View Post
This is entirely true, but has a finite life, as a lot of people just do not want the downgrade in lifestyle that (in some eyes) comes with moving further and further east.

With all due respect to east Van, bby - if u lived in Van west or west Van, would u want to live out there? It makes the whole point of living in vancouver somewhat moot when you have to give up ur life and live in a new neighbourhood etc. just to be able to stick it out
Luckily for my ex-coworker, no downgrade was needed moving several blocks east from Cambie to Main. In fact, his family easily came out on top given that along with their neighbours, they were paid off by a developer to the tune of something like a cool million for the inconvenience of having to relocate. Win-win for both sides!
Advertisement
Old 10-01-2014, 07:30 PM   #2877
WOAH! i think Vtec just kicked in!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nomomo View Post
Everyone wasting 3hrs a day round trip agrees with you
The idea is that hastings will someday turn into yaletown and the trash gets swept out to surrey.
yup.

i've lived in langley,newton,fleetwood before and I am so glad I got the out of there.

I know everyone has their own likes, but for me personally, I cant stand the commute, I would pay a premium to save myself from commuting and dealing with terrible drivers.

Not to mention that although you have a giant house in those places, a lot of places in surrey are now becoming crowded. soo many illegal suites and cars parked on small side streets/roads. surrey also already have their own crime problems.
iEatClams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2014, 08:00 PM   #2878
My dinner reheated before my turbo spooled

Live where you work. Commute time is priceless.

Theres no need to be shitting on anyone neighborhood. Gastown, Hastings, Chinatown, Main Street etc. Atleast these properties are somewhat affordable and have lots of upside.
Ludepower is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 10-01-2014, 10:30 PM   #2879
UFO
I *heart* Revscene.net very Muchie

Quote:
This is entirely true, but has a finite life, as a lot of people just do not want the downgrade in lifestyle that (in some eyes) comes with moving further and further east.

With all due respect to east Van, bby - if u lived in Van west or west Van, would u want to live out there? It makes the whole point of living in vancouver somewhat moot when you have to give up ur life and live in a new neighbourhood etc. just to be able to stick it out
I agree with your point, some of it, I think. But I don't see how you can represent the view of "a lot of people". I can also say a lot of people who have owned in Van-West are old and don't really care where they spend the last 10 years of their lives. They can and do cash out, help the next generation and the one beyond that in doing so. Because when they die and the inheritance gets passed on, that's what ends up happening anyways except cashing out now there's a certainty in gains, and they don't have to worry about price correction to what the fundamentals say they should be.

I have "a lot" of friends I went to a West side high school with who are now happily living in east Van, bby, Langley, Richmond, etc etc. And they grew up living "the life" of a westsider, but seem to be doing just fine in their new neighbourhoods, better than just sticking it out I would say. The alternative is staying in your parents' basement to live "your west side life", that's sticking it out IMO.
UFO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2014, 12:38 AM   #2880
I contribute to threads in the offtopic forum

Thanked 1,941 Times in 765 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by westopher View Post
I can't understand these people moving to gastown, chinatown, and DTES and paying big money for it. It made sense for a couple of streets, that were a bit sheltered from the bullshit, but seriously, the areas are SHITHOLES. Drug addicts beating their girlfriends, prostitutes, meth deals, etc. I sure as fuck don't want my wife walking through there at 2AM after work, and I especially don't want her to be walking through it on her way to a 550 sq foot "1 bedroom" for 430k. South main is a nice compromise and the worst you have to deal with is a drunk hipster running a stop sign because his fixie has no brakes. Still, if I'm going to pay the outlandish prices to buy here, I'll pay the 50k premium to live west of Granville.
and perhaps this brings us to the crux of the discussion, when one has to make a choice like this for the sake of ownership in a questionable time of valuation.

as i've said a million times now, you can rent for less than the cost to own, over the long term, renting and investing the difference will come out ahead (always tough to use historical rates, but it's the same for either side).

so, instead of living in what is still not a great neighbourhood in a small box for what is effectively 1/2 a mil, one could rent a really nice place in yaletown, coal harbour, west end, etc. for way less.

having traveled as much as i have this year around the world, it makes even less sense how expensive in absolute and relative terms vancouver is. but that's ok, bc renting is quite affordable, so at least residents have a choice.
4444 is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 10-02-2014, 12:40 AM   #2881

Quote:
Originally Posted by UFO View Post
I agree with your point, some of it, I think. But I don't see how you can represent the view of "a lot of people". I can also say a lot of people who have owned in Van-West are old and don't really care where they spend the last 10 years of their lives. They can and do cash out, help the next generation and the one beyond that in doing so. Because when they die and the inheritance gets passed on, that's what ends up happening anyways except cashing out now there's a certainty in gains, and they don't have to worry about price correction to what the fundamentals say they should be.

I have "a lot" of friends I went to a West side high school with who are now happily living in east Van, bby, Langley, Richmond, etc etc. And they grew up living "the life" of a westsider, but seem to be doing just fine in their new neighbourhoods, better than just sticking it out I would say. The alternative is staying in your parents' basement to live "your west side life", that's sticking it out IMO.
i'd think my last 10 years of my life should be those in the most comfort as, i've worked all my life, why should i sacrifice my last ten? but ppl probably do not see life the same as me, and that's cool too.
Old 10-02-2014, 08:26 AM   #2882
I have named my kids VIC and VLS

Thanked 14,312 Times in 5,633 Posts
Lol three hour round trip?

At 5pm any weekday I can get from 152nd and 104 to first and nanaimo in 20 minutes.
Old 10-02-2014, 09:22 AM   #2883
Zombie Mod

Thanked 5,169 Times in 1,551 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ludepower View Post
Time is precious. I used to spend, at least, 90 min in traffic, every day. I did that for 6 years. That's well into 300 hours per year wasted in the car. 8 years ago, I got a new job, and bought a place near the office. Costs and stress are way down. Despite the housing explosion in Langley, I'm still able to get to/from work in 8 min. It frees up a lot of my time to relax and do nothing .
Old 10-02-2014, 10:21 AM   #2884
Rs has made me the man i am today!

Thanked 2,191 Times in 1,016 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Presto View Post
Time is precious. I used to spend, at least, 90 min in traffic, every day. I did that for 6 years. That's well into 300 hours per year wasted in the car. 8 years ago, I got a new job, and bought a place near the office. Costs and stress are way down. Despite the housing explosion in Langley, I'm still able to get to/from work in 8 min. It frees up a lot of my time to relax and do nothing .
That is probably the most truthful thing ever, and my change wasn't even that great.

I used to spend 40mins driving each way to work. Now it takes me 20mins to skytrain to work, with the option of working from home.

Stress levels are way WAY down, and the savings are incredible. Not only is it gas money, but also insurance, and wear and tear on my car. I can justify putting max performance summer tires on it and not worry about having to get new tires in a year.

Its so nice to be home at 4:30-5:00pm instead of 6pm.
EvoFire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2014, 10:24 AM   #2885
Willing to sell body for a few minutes on RS

Thanked 31,132 Times in 7,145 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ludepower View Post

Theres no need to be shitting on anyone neighborhood. Gastown, Hastings, Chinatown, Main Street etc. Atleast these properties are somewhat affordable and have lots of upside.
100% agreed with your first point, however to address the second.
We aren't "shitting on neighbourhoods." We are having a reasonable discussion about what makes/doesn't make a neighbourhood livable. The communities being discussed have a REAL problem that should not be swept under the rug.
I've been looking quite intently for places as of late, and there just isn't anything thats jumping at me. Prices for the 350-450k homes seem to have stayed consistent or even dropped slightly over the last year and a bit from my experience, however there has been a massive drop in places for sale in this range over the past couple of months. Its going to take something special for me to throw down the premium to own over rent, but that being said I still want to at some point moderately soon. I also really want to blow this down payment on something way more fun.
There were 1 or 2 places I probably would have jumped on in the summer, however the funds were tied up at the time.
Westopher is correct.
Quote:
Originally Posted by fsy82 View Post
seems like you got a dick up your ass well..get that checked
Quote:
Originally Posted by punkwax View Post
Well.. I’d hate to be the first to say it, but Westopher is correct.
westopher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2014, 11:25 AM   #2886
Pull Out Towing. Women rescued for free.

Thanked 2,414 Times in 1,283 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by westopher View Post
I've been looking quite intently for places as of late, and there just isn't anything thats jumping at me. Prices for the 350-450k homes seem to have stayed consistent or even dropped slightly over the last year and a bit from my experience, however there has been a massive drop in places for sale in this range over the past couple of months.
What neighbourhood are you looking at?
I am going to assume you are looking at a condo or townhouse at this price level?

I live in a condo up on SFU and for whatever reasons, the prices are abnormally low compared to houses and town homes at the bottom of the hill.

With that being said, we bought to live in so the price changes doesn't really bother us too much, other than if the assessments went down so we pay less property taxes.
Quote:
Originally Posted by tofu1413 View Post
and icing on the cake, lady driving a newer chrysler 200 infront of me... jumped out of her car, dropped her pants, did an immediate squat and did probably the longest public relief ever...... steam and all.

(11-0-0) Buy/Sell rating
Christine
Shitvic
Pull Out Towing
SumAznGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2014, 03:50 PM   #2887
UFO

Quote:
i'd think my last 10 years of my life should be those in the most comfort as, i've worked all my life, why should i sacrifice my last ten? but ppl probably do not see life the same as me, and that's cool too.
It's only a sacrifice if you think and feel its a sacrifice, which you clearly do. Life is full of sacrifices for a variety of reasons; to provide for your family, to provide for your future, realizing you are living a life of excess, etc etc. I'd rather think of them as compromises.

When I become housebound there's nothing that I could do in a house in Shaugnessy that I wouldn't be able to do in a similar or even nicer house in say Burnaby.

Assuming my kids don't throw me into a retirement home.
UFO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2014, 05:16 PM   #2888
reads most threads with his pants around his ankles, especially in the Forced Induction forum.

Thanked 2,191 Times in 1,131 Posts
If you live near a skytrain station there isn't really a need for a car. I take the skytrain to and from work everyday. Only takes 40mins vs driving would take at least an hour.
Mr.HappySilp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2014, 06:20 PM   #2889
RS has made me the bitter person i am today!

Thanked 7,759 Times in 2,313 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr.HappySilp View Post
If you live near a skytrain station there isn't really a need for a car. I take the skytrain to and from work everyday. Only takes 40mins vs driving would take at least an hour.
That's cool... If you only ever go to work and come home...

Today I had to buy a couple pieces of lumber, and some plywood, i'd like to know how public transportation addresses my needs...

Spoiler!

Barney Fucking Purple FX35
Brianna - 2008 FX35 - Build Thread
meme405 is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 10-02-2014, 06:24 PM   #2890

Quote:
I'm the opposite. Takes me 25 minutes on a bad day to drive to work.
30-45 minutes to drive home.

It takes me 1 hr to B line/walk or bus/Skytrain/bus/walk to work.
It takes over 1 hr to transit it home.
Quote:
and icing on the cake, lady driving a newer chrysler 200 infront of me... jumped out of her car, dropped her pants, did an immediate squat and did probably the longest public relief ever...... steam and all.

(11-0-0) Buy/Sell rating
Christine
Shitvic
Pull Out Towing
Old 10-02-2014, 06:55 PM   #2891
Everyone wants a piece of R S...

Thanked 1,177 Times in 200 Posts
We're renting near work now (UBC) but there really isn't much around here that is in our target price range that isn't a 1 bedroom or 2 very small bedroom apartment style place. We could buy here, but we're trading the lack of commute for a house with a yard and space to grow.

In a way the dogs are driving our decision. Not that I can guarantee that we would have opted to buy a small condo at UBC without them, but the wife and I want our weekends spent at home watching our dogs play in the yard and having friends over. 1.25 hours a day in the car is a pretty steep price to pay, time wise, but other than the proximity to work, we don't really like living here. Nothing wrong with this area, and if I were younger and still in school this area would be awesome, but we're not spring chickens anymore and living amongst wealthy undergrads is becoming tiresome with respect to the late night noise and having to take an elevator to take the dogs out, navigating the puddles of puke from the previous evenings debauchery. Plus, rent around here is high so our future mortgage is shockingly only going to be $260 more than what we pay now in rent for 4X the square footage.

No offense to the likely high number of undergrads on RS. Not criticizing undergrad life at all...I did it too...it's just that I'm old now and not cool anymore (or perhaps never that cool to begin with LOL).
tastic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2014, 11:54 PM   #2892

Quote:
even though hipster dufus gregor likes to give the view that Vancouver is a great city for transit, the fact is, it's not.

as said, you may be ok going from home to work, but going to most parts of richmond, burnaby, etc. yes the skytrain will get you somewhere in that region, but boy is it not great at all.

sadly, most ppl still need cars in vancouver - i wish it were different, but it's not.
Old 10-03-2014, 12:08 AM   #2893
Banned (ABWS)

20 Over 5. A new initiative you will be hearing more of!

Shark Tank is offline   Reply With Quote
This post FAILED by:
Old 10-15-2014, 09:58 PM   #2894
Revscene.net has a homepage?!

Thanked 1,934 Times in 494 Posts
Came across this rent versus buy calculator by nytimes.com:

http://www.nytimes.com/interactive/2...abt=0002&abg=1

I think it is as accurate a calculator I've seen so far.

I used it, and it's revealing in many ways.
Marshall Placid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2014, 10:39 PM   #2895
reads most threads with his pants around his ankles, especially in the Forced Induction forum.

Thanked 2,191 Times in 1,131 Posts
Quote:
even though hipster dufus gregor likes to give the view that Vancouver is a great city for transit, the fact is, it's not.

as said, you may be ok going from home to work, but going to most parts of richmond, burnaby, etc. yes the skytrain will get you somewhere in that region, but boy is it not great at all.

sadly, most ppl still need cars in vancouver - i wish it were different, but it's not.
Live in BBY(around BCIT) and work around Science World. Seems decent to take the bus and skytrain.

If you live near a mall with skytrain (IE Metrotown brentwood mall) there is really not much need for a car. You get shop around where you live. The savings you get from not having a car is pretty huge as well ($300 for gas , $200 for insurance $200 for maintance). Also if you do need to use your own car for a day or two you can try getting a membership from car2go.

Depends on your lifestyle too. I guess.

Last edited by Mr.HappySilp; 10-15-2014 at 10:47 PM.
Mr.HappySilp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2014, 11:18 PM   #2896

Quote:
($300 for gas , $200 for insurance $200 for maintance)..
what do these numbers represent? if monthly, damn you have a gas guzzling POS (maintenance of $200 per month!)

thing is, you've said it yourself, you'd have to shop where you live, or live near a mall. that's limiting an awful lot of ppl to a very limited number of properties.
Old 10-16-2014, 01:32 AM   #2897

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marshall Placid View Post
Came across this rent versus buy calculator by nytimes.com:

http://www.nytimes.com/interactive/2...abt=0002&abg=1

I think it is as accurate a calculator I've seen so far.

I used it, and it's revealing in many ways.

apparently it's a really good thing i bought

also is this a US based calculator....they make reference of taxes and mortgage interest being deductible
blkgsr is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 10-16-2014, 06:28 AM   #2898

Quote:
Originally Posted by blkgsr View Post
apparently it's a really good thing i bought

also is this a US based calculator....they make reference of taxes and mortgage interest being deductible
NYTimes, yeah I think it is US based.

I've played with this one before. Not sure how accurate it is, but it is Canadian.
1.877.987.1420 : CanadaMortgage.com
Quote:

(11-0-0) Buy/Sell rating
Christine
Shitvic
Pull Out Towing
Old 10-16-2014, 06:39 AM   #2899
Willing to sell body for a few minutes on RS

Thanked 3,731 Times in 1,322 Posts
Quote:
what do these numbers represent? if monthly, damn you have a gas guzzling POS (maintenance of $200 per month!)
Yeah, the maintenance seems a bit high. I've spent less then $100 a month to maintain 3 vehicles over the last year and a bit. I do agree though that vehicles are expensive. I guess it would depend on the age of the vehicle but still.

My past job they used to give me a new truck every 3 years, pay for maintenance, gas and insurance it saved me so much money.....those were the good old days. I used to drive a lot in my last job though, this one I'm in the office 95% of the time.

“The world ain't all sunshine and rainbows. It's a very mean and nasty place... and I donīt care how tough you are, it will beat you to your knees and keep you there permanently, if you let it. You, me or nobody, is gonna hit as hard as life. But ain't about how hard you hit... It's about how hard you can get hit, and keep moving forward... how much you can take, and keep moving forward. Thatīs how winning is done. Now, if you know what you worth, go out and get what you worth.” - Rocky Balboa

Last edited by quasi; 10-16-2014 at 06:45 AM.
quasi is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2014, 06:55 AM   #2900

Quote:
Originally Posted by quasi View Post
My past job they used to give me a new truck every 3 years, pay for maintenance, gas and insurance it saved me so much money..
Imagine being able to work 4 days a week @ 10 hours each day for your 40 hr work week.
Or as you said, having a company vehicle that you can take home and your shift starts the minute you get into the car and ends the minute you get home and you get out of the car.
Or, having the ability to work remotely from home.

Just like being Multicartual, paid to be at home surfing RS and pron and rubbing one out.
Quote:

(11-0-0) Buy/Sell rating
Christine
Shitvic
Pull Out Towing