REVscene - Vancouver Automotive Forum

Welcome to the REVscene Automotive Forum forums.

Registration is Free!You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today! The banners on the left side and below do not show for registered users!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   REVscene Automotive Forum > Automotive Chat > Vancouver Off-Topic / Current Events

Vancouver Off-Topic / Current Events The off-topic forum for Vancouver, funnies, non-auto centered discussions, WORK SAFE. While the rules are more relaxed here, there are still rules. Please refer to sticky thread in this forum.

Old 01-06-2024, 07:55 PM   #29501
I *Fwap* *Fwap* *Fwap* to RS

Quote:
Originally Posted by bcuzracecarz View Post
Wow, that’s an incredible shame, thank you for sharing
Advertisement
Phozy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2024, 09:27 PM   #29502
in the butt

Thanked 3,223 Times in 1,185 Posts
Court got a nice paycheque under the table, for 40 units x 100-200k x percentage to side with big fish. Very nice.

Originally Posted by ilovebacon
Does anyone have a pair of 25 pounds one-inch hole for sale at a reasonable price?
donk. is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 01-06-2024, 10:07 PM   #29503
To me, there is the Internet and there is RS

Thanked 8,926 Times in 3,878 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by mikemhg View Post
My GF is starting to do some travel nursing in the states starting in April, so we're heading down to Texas for a bit.
If you haven't done that before make sure you're ok to do that and be verrrrry careful what you say at the border or you can get anything up to a lifetime ban from the US. Even with all the paperwork they get grumpy as hell when I go down there for work.
1992 Toyota Celica GT-S ["sold"] \\ 2007 Jeep Grand Cherokee CRD [sold] \\ 2000 Jeep Cherokee [sold] \\ 1997 Honda Prelude [sold] \\ 1992 Jeep YJ [sold/crashed] \\ 1987 Mazda RX-7 [sold] \\ 1987 Toyota Celica GT-S [crushed]
Quote:
Originally Posted by maksimizer View Post
half those dudes are hotter than ,my GF.
Quote:
Originally Posted by RevYouUp View Post
reading this thread is like waiting for goku to charge up a spirit bomb in dragon ball z
Quote:
Originally Posted by Good_KarMa View Post
OH thank god. I thought u had sex with my wife. :cry:
underscore is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 01-07-2024, 08:14 AM   #29504
I subscribe to the Fight Club ONLY

Thanked 2,346 Times in 973 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by carsncars View Post
I'd echo all your points above on benefits of WFH, but caution re: this depending on OP's job.

At a company I was working at in the pandemic, people took off to various places around the world to ride out the pandemic, and it became a relatively big issue for us at some point because some of our government contracts were very strict about geographic location (privacy/security certs yada yada yada).

I work in the HR field and it's a gong show from HR and legal + benefits provider perspective.

1) Bob goes work in India when he's suppose to be in Canada.
2) He gets into accidents and tries to claim Sunlife. Huge legal battle because the job benefits and short term leave / long term leave became a huge issue as it was covered for Canada only.
3) Tax implication was also something the company had to deal with and of course company didn't know Bob was in India.

Jack was at Dell and they mandated 30 days max out of the country, and they forced employee to sign which Jack didn't. Huge legal issue when he revealed he was living in Eastern Europe and it was a country Dell had to disclose if they data / employees were in those sensitive countries....

long story short, huge serverage package so Jack didn't fight that he was let go but man... I get all these HR calls with people's WFH issues.
6793026 is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 01-07-2024, 12:31 PM   #29505
I *heart* Revscene.net very Muchie

Thanked 4,592 Times in 1,729 Posts
^Dumb move by Bob. Out of country travel limits are most definitely a thing, they generally range 30-60 days, so if you're staying longer, buy private coverage. Sounds like buddy was also trying to make an STD claim while in another country? That's pretty retarded as well.

Finally, you should always confirm your companies data integrity policies when utilizing your laptop or accessing company information outside of the country. Places like the US and such are generally completely fine, we have offices down there, but if you're accessing data in places like India or China, BIG no no.
mikemhg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2024, 01:22 PM   #29506
linguistic ninja

Thanked 3,390 Times in 1,233 Posts
I think I know that guy Bob...Was his wife's name Vagene?

Still a card carrying member of the SFC :)
CivicBlues is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 01-07-2024, 07:58 PM   #29507
in the butt

Offtopic / travel insurance

Il go on another rant about travel / company extended insurance, its a complete waste of time and money. Unless your almost dead in the hospital, they aint covering shit

Phillipines years back, i bought extra travel insurance for my camera gear to go with the medical. Someone damaged my tripod on a boat trip, i filed a claim, and sure enough, denied. They wanted the contact of the boat operator, the police report (wtf?), and some other bullshit. I was literally in a dirt village where most staff dont even have a phone.

3 years ago in australia, i had some infection and had to go to doctor and get drugs, no coverage after wasting who knows how many hours filling out all their bullshit forms.
Then i broke a rib, went to go get it checked out, and sure enough, same bullshit. (pacific blue cross both times)

I was in the hospital this new years in sri lanka, for what felt like galbladder stones, turned out to be an infection. After spending 8 phone calls with wawanese / western life, i could not even be connected to someone to start a claim.
Ended up paying 40$ for ultrasound, doctor, and medication. Thank fuck this was not europe or usa where the bill would be who knows how much.
To top it off, before i left i wanted to find out how long the extended company coverage is for, as its not listed on the benefits package, i had to get transferred 7 times, through several different subcompanies, departments, phone staff, just to get an answer that its 2 months.

Fuck travel insurance companies, they are all a bunch of slimy greasy rats with 75 page contracts written in code for your pleasure. If clause 21.1.10.a will cover you, then dont worry, clause 70.2.2b.d will deny your claim because you forgot to file clause 45.D as a part of clause 71.2.C

And dont forget to call in your claim before you go to the hospital!!! Oh you spent 3 days due to being unconscious from an accident? Sorry you didnt call in within 48hrs okay byeeee

Does anyone have a pair of 25 pounds one-inch hole for sale at a reasonable price?
Old 01-07-2024, 10:32 PM   #29508
Need my Daily Fix of RS

What's the solution to that? Credit card trip insurance from a premium card maybe?
headhunt3r is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2024, 03:56 AM   #29509

Quote:
^Dumb move by Bob. Out of country travel limits are most definitely a thing, they generally range 30-60 days, so if you're staying longer, buy private coverage. Sounds like buddy was also trying to make an STD claim while in another country? That's pretty retarded as well.

Finally, you should always confirm your companies data integrity policies when utilizing your laptop or accessing company information outside of the country. Places like the US and such are generally completely fine, we have offices down there, but if you're accessing data in places like India or China, BIG no no.
These are things companies are trying to catch up. It was never stated in my contract / job description when I started to work in 2015. So you can't penalize someone for WFH now just cause it changed in 2023.

Lawyers and court will only look at your employee contract and agree; yup, it never said you can't working more than 30 days out of country.

You can't all of a sudden force someone to change now as well and get them to acknowledge with a simple signature.
This post thanked by:
Old 01-08-2024, 06:40 AM   #29510
I have named my kids VIC and VLS

Thanked 14,365 Times in 5,658 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by donk. View Post

Il go on another rant about travel / company extended insurance, its a complete waste of time and money. Unless your almost dead in the hospital, they aint covering shit

Phillipines years back, i bought extra travel insurance for my camera gear to go with the medical. Someone damaged my tripod on a boat trip, i filed a claim, and sure enough, denied. They wanted the contact of the boat operator, the police report (wtf?), and some other bullshit. I was literally in a dirt village where most staff dont even have a phone.

3 years ago in australia, i had some infection and had to go to doctor and get drugs, no coverage after wasting who knows how many hours filling out all their bullshit forms.
Then i broke a rib, went to go get it checked out, and sure enough, same bullshit. (pacific blue cross both times)

I was in the hospital this new years in sri lanka, for what felt like galbladder stones, turned out to be an infection. After spending 8 phone calls with wawanese / western life, i could not even be connected to someone to start a claim.
Ended up paying 40$ for ultrasound, doctor, and medication. Thank fuck this was not europe or usa where the bill would be who knows how much.
To top it off, before i left i wanted to find out how long the extended company coverage is for, as its not listed on the benefits package, i had to get transferred 7 times, through several different subcompanies, departments, phone staff, just to get an answer that its 2 months.

Fuck travel insurance companies, they are all a bunch of slimy greasy rats with 75 page contracts written in code for your pleasure. If clause 21.1.10.a will cover you, then dont worry, clause 70.2.2b.d will deny your claim because you forgot to file clause 45.D as a part of clause 71.2.C

And dont forget to call in your claim before you go to the hospital!!! Oh you spent 3 days due to being unconscious from an accident? Sorry you didnt call in within 48hrs okay byeeee
I came across a thread on Reddit yesterday regarding westjet and people complaining their return flight to Canada had been kicked for over 3 days, and the newest flight arrived in Cancun and was once again delayed because of maintenance issues. The guy said a bunch of people were crying and didn’t know what to do because they were running out of medication etc.

Air travel (especially Canadian carriers) and insurance is at a point really where if you can’t afford to eat a 5-10k expense, you almost shouldn’t be travelling period. ESPECIALLY overseas.
Old 01-08-2024, 07:26 AM   #29511
Willing to sell body for a few minutes on RS

Thanked 31,169 Times in 7,158 Posts
lol I get where your hot take is going and I actually agree but those numbers are absurd. You're talking about people that probably paid $1500 to get to cancun for a week being stuck there for 50% longer than they were supposed to be there.
Westopher is correct.
Quote:
Originally Posted by fsy82 View Post
seems like you got a dick up your ass well..get that checked
Quote:
Originally Posted by punkwax View Post
Well.. I’d hate to be the first to say it, but Westopher is correct.
westopher is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 01-08-2024, 07:47 AM   #29512

Yea but you’re relying completely on airlines who are consistently incompetent in their ability to deliver service.

If you’re 10,000 miles away from home and expect insurance to solve your issues, as per Donk’s message, it’s very unlikely you’ll see any resolution and if you have no ability to pull funds from even credit cards etc. you’re totally fucked.

All inclusives etc. are obviously the type of vacations where you’d think you can just turn your brain off, get picked up and dropped off at the airport etc. and hopefully be streamlined to the point where even someone with zero travel experience could get by, but you can never anticipate the unknown.

Between credit cards etc. I could have hundreds of thousands of dollars at my disposal and even I’ve been in situations travelling (albeit much more risky than a Mexico all-inclusive) where I thought to myself, if anything happened to me right now, I would be FUCKED lol
Old 01-08-2024, 07:52 AM   #29513
To me, there is the Internet and there is RS

Thanked 8,926 Times in 3,878 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by headhunt3r View Post
What's the solution to that? Credit card trip insurance from a premium card maybe?
I've only had to deal with travel insurance once but it was the coverage that my now-wifes TD travel Visa (not even the really premium one) gave us for using it to pay for our bookings and it was pretty smooth. They were weird about wanting that receipt thing that you get with a prescription here that we didn't get from the pharmacy in Mexico but that was for a $20 prescription, the hospital bill was covered no problem.
1992 Toyota Celica GT-S ["sold"] \\ 2007 Jeep Grand Cherokee CRD [sold] \\ 2000 Jeep Cherokee [sold] \\ 1997 Honda Prelude [sold] \\ 1992 Jeep YJ [sold/crashed] \\ 1987 Mazda RX-7 [sold] \\ 1987 Toyota Celica GT-S [crushed]
Quote:
Originally Posted by maksimizer View Post
half those dudes are hotter than ,my GF.
Quote:
Originally Posted by RevYouUp View Post
reading this thread is like waiting for goku to charge up a spirit bomb in dragon ball z
Quote:
Originally Posted by Good_KarMa View Post
OH thank god. I thought u had sex with my wife. :cry:
underscore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2024, 08:27 AM   #29514
I Will not Admit my Addiction to RS

Quote:
Originally Posted by 6793026 View Post
These are things companies are trying to catch up. It was never stated in my contract / job description when I started to work in 2015. So you can't penalize someone for WFH now just cause it changed in 2023.

Lawyers and court will only look at your employee contract and agree; yup, it never said you can't working more than 30 days out of country.

You can't all of a sudden force someone to change now as well and get them to acknowledge with a simple signature.
On the other hand, most, if not all, of those employment contracts never gave the employee the right or option to work from home in the first place either.
van_city23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2024, 09:05 AM   #29515
Where's my RS Christmas Lobster?!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hondaracer View Post
Yea but you’re relying completely on airlines who are consistently incompetent in their ability to deliver service.

If you’re 10,000 miles away from home and expect insurance to solve your issues, as per Donk’s message, it’s very unlikely you’ll see any resolution and if you have no ability to pull funds from even credit cards etc. you’re totally fucked.
I've overall had relatively good experience with credit card travel insurance (never needed to use it for anything huge - knock on wood), but every time it's required me to pay out of pocket first. If I didn't have the ability to spend $2-3K unexpectedly, I don't think I would be taking the trip. But I'm pretty risk-averse in general.

Re: the travel medical insurance. Yeah, insurance companies are gonna weasel their way out wherever they can. But it's not the $200-300 here and there that I have the travel medical insurance for - it's the (again, knock on wood) potential $100K++ costs that I have it for.

And my experience there as someone who's had patients who have had MIs, strokes, traumas in foreign countries - the insurance companies might inundate you with a ton of paperwork, and will always try to get their cost down as much as possible (which might mean transfer to a different facility or repatriation ASAP), when a significant medical event happens it's MUCH better to have that coverage than not.
Old 01-08-2024, 09:08 AM   #29516
Where's my RS Christmas Lobster?!

It's funny the differentials in cost between countries though. I had a pt. with a major cardiac event requiring ICU admission and multiple bypass surgeries in the EU - out of pocket bill was about $5.5K.

Meanwhile another pt. got in a car crash in Florida and suffered a distal radius fracture - not a complicated one, nonsurgical, just a reduction and cast. Almost $80K at the end of the day...
Old 01-08-2024, 09:10 AM   #29517

credit card booked flights - kelowna flights were grounded due to forest fire.

CC said "we can't refund you money because it's not on Gov't of Canada's site"
"look on every website, the airport is shut down not allowing flights"
"Sorry, we only reference gov't Canada website"

Wife was pissed. it doesn't cover domestic flights turns out. We got lucky caues Westjet did cancel but wifey was not happy calling in and getting rejected.
This post thanked by:
Old 01-08-2024, 09:25 AM   #29518
I *heart* Revscene.net very Muchie

Thanked 4,592 Times in 1,729 Posts
Quote:

Man you get a lot of infections.

Where you sticking your pecker at?
mikemhg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2024, 10:10 AM   #29519
RS.net, helping ugly ppl have sex since 2001

Thanked 3,840 Times in 1,484 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by 6793026 View Post
credit card booked flights - kelowna flights were grounded due to forest fire.

CC said "we can't refund you money because it's not on Gov't of Canada's site"
"look on every website, the airport is shut down not allowing flights"
"Sorry, we only reference gov't Canada website"

Wife was pissed. it doesn't cover domestic flights turns out. We got lucky caues Westjet did cancel but wifey was not happy calling in and getting rejected.

Get in touch with Nav Canada (https://www.navcanada.ca/en/contact-...%5Cdefault.xml). Request a history of NOTAMs for CYLW for the time/date your looking for.The airport was certainly closed for aircraft other than emergency services etc. although it’s possible they just closed all instrument approaches, which would be tough to prove to the CC company.

This is a government agency who puts out the reports. I charge 10% commission when you get your money back. Lol it may be a pain to get, but may be worth it.

Last edited by hud 91gt; 01-08-2024 at 10:45 AM.
hud 91gt is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 01-08-2024, 10:15 AM   #29520
RS has made me the bitter person i am today!

Thanked 2,752 Times in 1,182 Posts
As far as my travel insurance goes, I think just get one that's as simple as possible.

Don't try those all-in-one comprehensive type of travel insurance. Those are the ones with countless T&C. They might seem great as they cover "everything". But the fact is that they would try to deny anything.

If you need medical, get one that is specifically tailored to your needs. I get a yearly plan for the family (all in for about 400bucks) that covers anything outside of Canada as long as the trip is less than 35days at once. And so far so good with the experience.

Kiddo got quite sick during our recent trip to France. I called them before hitting the clinic, and the agent just said to take the receipts and send them in once I'm back.

For the rest, I just rely on my CC's coverage and they have been pretty good. My luggage and flights got delayed badly, had to get some supplies and clothes as I had a business meeting next day and luggage, where my suit were was still en-route from Canada, they just credited my purchases after I sent in the receipts. No fuss.

I might add that it helps if it's a premium card. They've got a concierge line that I could call and they sorted everything for me. From my buddy's experience, his AMEX was also pretty good in that regard.
Old 01-08-2024, 10:26 AM   #29521
in the butt

Quote:
Man you get a lot of infections.

Where you sticking your pecker at?
My licence plate would give you the answer you are looking for.....if you came out to any meats......

In the mean time tho:
Id say 1 in 4 "vacations" i get hit with something.
Mexico = guaranteed to get sick
Asia = 50% chance to get sick
Then again, i eat alot of street food, surf in dirty water, extreme sports/off the path activities in mud villages as my buddy calls em

This post thanked by:
Old 01-08-2024, 10:37 AM   #29522
Performance Moderator

Thanked 15,461 Times in 5,119 Posts
Playin in the mud just a euphemism for your username title
68style is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 01-08-2024, 11:37 AM   #29523
I WANT MY 10 YEARS BACK FROM RS.net!

Thanked 9,824 Times in 3,904 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hondaracer View Post
Air travel (especially Canadian carriers) and insurance is at a point really where if you can’t afford to eat a 5-10k expense, you almost shouldn’t be travelling period. ESPECIALLY overseas.
why should this be normalized though

i think we should hold standards much higher than allegiant and united if it's not ryanair/airasia prices lol

my favourite is pilot shortage, uhh you had no idea of the schedule until few hours beforehand?
twitchyzero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2024, 11:39 AM   #29524

It’s like the telecom industry. Where has complaining or even filing formal complaints ever gotten anyone?

Monopolies in the back pockets of politicians. How tf does air Canada have the worst on-time rate in North America?
Old 01-08-2024, 12:13 PM   #29525
linguistic ninja

Thanked 3,390 Times in 1,233 Posts
Quote:

Shitty luck dude. Been to a lot of places myself, have never had a medical emergency or even a hospital visit *knock on wood*. Worst was getting into a rickshaw accident and on-call doctor wanted to give my gf a "injection" for some muscle soreness. Yeah nah bro, we'll take our chances. Also was given a cocktail of drugs in Vietnam at the pharmacy after miming stomach upset symptoms. Still alive. Hope our luck doesn't run out though I am more afraid of my parents travelling now that they're over 70 it's almost impossible to get covered for travel insurance. Biggest reason I can think of to do your travelling while you're young, both of us have ailments (minor and otherwise) we didn't have 5, 10 years ago but are just now more things to think about. In 3rd world countries you just pay upfront for whatever meds/treatments and you just eat the cost. It's usually < $100 anyways. In the US Hope someone can come pick you up because you're better off on this side of the line.

Btw, how as Sri Lanka? I was thinking about going this year or maybe hit up the Maldives too. Yeah I know, neighbouring countries, totally different experiences and $$$.

How was the food, was it that that gave you "gallstones"?

Still a card carrying member of the SFC :)
CivicBlues is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by: