REVscene - Vancouver Automotive Forum

Welcome to the REVscene Automotive Forum forums.

Registration is Free!You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today! The banners on the left side and below do not show for registered users!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   REVscene Automotive Forum > Automotive Chat > Vancouver Off-Topic / Current Events

Vancouver Off-Topic / Current Events The off-topic forum for Vancouver, funnies, non-auto centered discussions, WORK SAFE. While the rules are more relaxed here, there are still rules. Please refer to sticky thread in this forum.

Old 12-14-2015, 07:45 PM   #4376
GS8
I *heart* Revscene.net very Muchie

Thanked 7,208 Times in 1,958 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by westopher View Post
Intelligence, luck, looks, connections, family, social skills, confidence, honesty, dishonesty, among a few million other things determine where people get in life.
I have leveled up none of these trees

Advertisement
GS8 is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 12-14-2015, 07:47 PM   #4377
Everyone wants a piece of R S...

Quote:
Originally Posted by twdm View Post
So tell me how many people do you know that you know the mindset of the majority of the youth in Vancouver. Sensationalism at its best, spewing anecdotal evidence and taking it as the gospel. I have met many people in all walks of life who work hard in school, work, etc, yet have no chance of affording a livable home.

Heck, I'm in Hong Kong right now, and I can tell you, 10 year old kids have studied and work harder than I have all my life, and they have no chance of getting a decent job or home unless their family was rich to begin with. It might just be occupy central now, but when these kids come out of school with no future, it will be burn down central.

Vancouver is going the same direction and while I have the luxury of being able to get out of dodge, I'm sure a lot of people don't have the same luxury, but unfortunately these same people don't understand how society works until it blows up on them.

Unfortunately if people don't understand that unaffordable housing prices doesn't benefit society, then we can only sit back and wait for the fireworks.
Why you have to be so mad?

Work harder is very general. Doesn't mean flip burgers faster or type faster.

What I am trying to get at is, young kids now a days expect things to fall in their lap. They don't go out and find opportunity or go create something for themselves. How many of you know people with degrees thats in the closet collecting dust?

Using your example, that 10 year old kid studying his ass off. Yes he is studying hard. What is the result of that though? Good grades? Yes, cool you got good fucking grades. But what is happening to society is that these kids studying their fucking ass off expect something far greater than what is deserved.
RickyTan3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2015, 07:49 PM   #4378

Quote:
You act like everybody is on a level playing field. Working fucking harder doesn't get everybody everywhere they want to be. Life is full of circumstances man.
Intelligence, luck, looks, connections, family, social skills, confidence, honesty, dishonesty, among a few million other things determine where people get in life.
Sounds like a bunch of excuses to be honest.

This post FAILED by:
Old 12-14-2015, 08:16 PM   #4379
Willing to sell body for a few minutes on RS

Thanked 30,977 Times in 7,100 Posts
I'm doing just fine. I just appreciate the people that helped along the way because I'm not an arrogant fuck. I also understand there are plenty of people busting their asses harder than I am and get less due to circumstance.
Trust me, you aren't fucking special.
Westopher is correct.
Quote:
Originally Posted by fsy82 View Post
seems like you got a dick up your ass well..get that checked
Quote:
Originally Posted by punkwax View Post
Well.. I’d hate to be the first to say it, but Westopher is correct.
westopher is online now   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 12-14-2015, 08:29 PM   #4380
I have named my kids VIC and VLS

Thanked 14,195 Times in 5,577 Posts
I've never met anyone who built their own business from the ground up who who didn't put YEARS of 12-15 hour days in, no vacations, no weekends, etc

I'd say generally speaking the work harder thing is true to become a true success. "Financial success" at least.

Even for people who are struggling at the bottom, if you aren't willing to work weekends, OT, etc you don't really have a right to complain about your situation. Even if it means more money for groceries etc. it's progress.

The adage of "no one ever got rich working 9-5" has been preached to me by a few different people I respect very well. In the end I just don't know if I have the personal drive to take it to the next level. At some point you become content with where you are and the life you have.
Old 12-14-2015, 09:16 PM   #4381
reads most threads with his pants around his ankles, especially in the Forced Induction forum.

Thanked 2,191 Times in 1,131 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hondaracer View Post
I've never met anyone who built their own business from the ground up who who didn't put YEARS of 12-15 hour days in, no vacations, no weekends, etc

I'd say generally speaking the work harder thing is true to become a true success. "Financial success" at least.

Even for people who are struggling at the bottom, if you aren't willing to work weekends, OT, etc you don't really have a right to complain about your situation. Even if it means more money for groceries etc. it's progress.

The adage of "no one ever got rich working 9-5" has been preached to me by a few different people I respect very well. In the end I just don't know if I have the personal drive to take it to the next level. At some point you become content with where you are and the life you have.
Agree 100% working 9 to 5 won't get rich but is also a relax lifestyle. You leave work with no stress go home, enjoy cooking a meal, relax on the couch, watch hockey, on weekends go out movies, stanely park, skiing in the winters.

Ppl who got rich hardly have enough time to sleep let alone relax enjoy life. Is not for everyone. You get off work after 10 to 12 hours work day. Go out in the evenings to network and push your company, your name out there. Then you still have to go home prepare lunch and follow the news depending on the career path you might read about econ, finanical, trades, stocks, tech etc etc......

I don't think I am the type who can climb up the ladder. Is not for everyone, you have to have the personal drive and also train when you are at a young age. Having just personal drive and will is not enough is also your personality and how you are brought up. So I happy doing my 9 to 5 and doing OT when I can. I am not the type with tons of personal drive and to be honest I lack the personality to be successful at the top.
Mr.HappySilp is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 12-15-2015, 01:50 AM   #4382

Quote:
I'm doing just fine. I just appreciate the people that helped along the way because I'm not an arrogant fuck. I also understand there are plenty of people busting their asses harder than I am and get less due to circumstance.
Trust me, you aren't fucking special.
Didn't say I was special. And didn't ask you how your life is.
Don't get your panties in a knot.

I am just saying hard work and consistency will bring you places and the young kids these days don't have that drive.
Old 12-15-2015, 07:04 AM   #4383
I contribute to threads in the offtopic forum

Thanked 7,109 Times in 1,264 Posts
Mehhhhh virtually every generation tends to have the perception that the "next" generation is lazy, fucked, etc. Historically speaking, even Socrates was quoted as stating the next generation was spoiled and useless.

15 Historical Complaints About Young People Ruining Everything | Mental Floss

If you feel the next generation is lazy and useless it's probably because of your exposure to people younger than you in a specific capacity (IE: Fast Food Workers). I could tell you that many of the early 20's engineers at my work make me look like a lazy and incompetent idiot... they are however, for the most part, some of the smartest people graduating engineering at the U of A.

Life takes all sorts of people, if everyone was a keener it would just be that much harder for you to be successful, by your definition of success anyway.
jasonturbo is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 12-15-2015, 07:15 AM   #4384
I Will not Admit my Addiction to RS

if one cannot afford to buy....step aside please and let people with money buy. So simple it hurts.
Gululu is offline   Reply With Quote
This post FAILED by:
Old 12-15-2015, 08:41 AM   #4385
Need my Daily Fix of RS

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gululu View Post
if one cannot afford to buy....step aside please and let people with money buy. So simple it hurts.
I agree
They can head out past Hope BC and get a house and job and even have beer money on the weekend.
..lol
Urrtoast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2015, 01:26 PM   #4386
Rs has made me the woman i am today!

Thanked 4,060 Times in 1,248 Posts
Quote:

Thinking of helping your adult child buy their first home? Make sure you understand the pros and cons of each option, and how your tax situation and financial plan could be affected.​​​​

3 COMMON OPTIONS

1. LOAN YOUR CHILD THE MONEY

Decide how much interest you want to charge. For example, you could charge the same or a higher rate of interest than what the money would earn in a bank account. Or you could set the rate lower than your child would pay on a mortgage from a financial institution. You must declare any interest you earn on your tax return.

Your child will also pay a surcharge if Canada Mortgage and Housing Corporation (CMHC) insurance is required. This is because part or all of the down payment was borrowed.

2. CO-SIGN YOUR CHILD’S MORTGAGE

Add your name to your child’s mortgage. It seems like an easy way to help, but there are a number of risks:

It tells the bank that your child’s income or credit rating is not good enough to qualify on their own.
If you already have a mortgage on your own home, you and your child would not qualify for a high-ratio mortgage. Together, you would have to pay 20% down. On their own, your child could pay as little as 5% down.
You are liable for the mortgage payments if your child defaults.
Your name is on the title of the property. If something goes wrong, you legally have to share the responsibility. Check with a lawyer about the implications.
3. PAY SOME OR ALL OF THE COSTS AS A GIFT

You can choose to give your child enough money for a down payment, pay their monthly mortgage costs or even buy a home outright for them. There is no tax on cash gifts in Canada, but there are tax implications:

If it’s a gift you plan to leave your children in your will anyway, you will save them from paying probate fees after your death.
If you buy a home as a gift for your child, it’s as though you sold the property to them at fair market value. So you will have to pay tax on any capital gain if, when you give the house to your child, it is worth more than you paid for it.

For this special time of the year, Wesgroup is offering a Home for the Holidays promotion at River District Vancouver’s spectacular A6 view homes in One Town Centre!
Helping Your Child Buy Their First Home - River District - Vancouver

Just a heads up guys

Quote:
MG1: in fact, a new term needs to make its way into the American dictionary. Trump............ he's such a "Trump" = ultimate insult. Like, "yray, you're such a trump."
bcrdukes yray fucked bcrdukes up the nose

dapperfied yraisis
dapperfied yray so waisis

FastAnna you literally talk out your ass
FastAnna i really cant
FastAnna yray i cant stand you
yray is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2015, 01:59 PM   #4387
Need to Seek Professional Help

Thanked 1,820 Times in 501 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by RickyTan3 View Post
Didn't say I was special. And didn't ask you how your life is.
Don't get your panties in a knot.

I am just saying hard work and consistency will bring you places and the young kids these days don't have that drive.
Lol, so you've interviewed all the "young kids these days" ...?

Just because the young people in your particular circle are lazy and entitled, it doesn't mean everyone is. And partly, you're right - there are plenty of people my age who have no drive, no motivation and expect everything to just come together when we live in an economy where it likely will not (unless you have wealthy parents or are working a very decent job).

My point is that the fact that people making $40-50,000 a year can't afford a home near their area of work. You may not care about these "poor people" but at the end of the day, that salary bracket is almost double the national average. You may not think you need these people around - for whatever elitist reason you may have - but in reality, these people probably work in the service sector and drive the economy. They aren't "freeloaders" or "gaming the system". The reality is, you can work as hard as you want, but unless you're making nearly triple or quadruple the national average, owning a home in the Lower Mainland will be a pipe dream. The idea of an "average income" being one that enables one to have an "okay" quality of life.

Considering the fact that many companies do not want to establish themselves in Vancouver for the simple fact that everyone smart enough to get a "decent job" knows they can have a better quality of living elsewhere (aka brain drain). I have friend studying to become doctors or lawyers that are planning to move East once they get their degrees because their "hard work" barely cuts it in Vancouver. If the current trends continue Vancouver will be nothing more than a playground for the wealthy...
Tone Loc is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 12-15-2015, 04:08 PM   #4388
14 dolla balla aint got nothing on me!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tone Loc View Post
If the current trends continue Vancouver will be nothing more than a playground for the wealthy...
What exactly is the problem with that? I'd love for Vancouver to be like that personally. The successful people will find ways to make money off the wealthy while everyone else will bitch about housing prices.. It's basically the same right now
kr4l is offline   Reply With Quote
This post FAILED by:
Old 12-15-2015, 04:18 PM   #4389
Lomac owned my ass at least once

Thanked 6,187 Times in 2,466 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by kr4l View Post
What exactly is the problem with that? I'd love for Vancouver to be like that personally. The successful people will find ways to make money off the wealthy while everyone else will bitch about housing prices.. It's basically the same right now
If you don't understand how even wealthy people need support of all kinds from numerous other people, you will never understand why the wealthy playground thing is a bad idea -- a very, very bad idea.

A balanced society is one where the wealth distribution curve pretty much shows up like a bell curve. Skewing to the left is bad because it means most people are poor, and wealth is controlled in the hands of a few people. Skewing to the right is impossible. And an M-shaped distribution is bad news for the government because the poor will keep asking for money, but the rich will find loopholes to avoid funding the government (and you have no middle class to take on that burden).
Traum is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 12-15-2015, 04:28 PM   #4390
I have named my kids VIC and VLS

Thanked 14,195 Times in 5,577 Posts
People bagging groceries and making coffee don't need to live next to their Starbucks downtown.

From surrey central, Langley, etc even to commute downtown is only 30-40 minutes

Working downtown at a few towers I knew electricians and even fucking labourers commuting in from yarrow and chiliwack.

Ya do what ya gotta do. There are options available for everyone. A friend of mines brother is renting a 800sq foot basement suite in fleetwood for $650 a month. Is that unreasonable or unacceptable for someone on the lower end of the income scale?

Someone making 20-40k a year couldn't even buy a 150k place if they have no savings skills.
Old 12-15-2015, 04:29 PM   #4391
Rs has made me the man i am today!

Quote:
Originally Posted by kr4l View Post
Because the middle class will be wiped out. On a national level, strong countries are countries with a large middle class. You shrink the middle class, you eventually become a 3rd world country. That's what they are scared about in the states.

Also, before the '08 depression, you see how China, India, Brazil, Indonesia being darlings of the world. Why ? Because of their growing middle class.
Old 12-15-2015, 04:46 PM   #4392
WOAH! i think Vtec just kicked in!

Quote:
You act like everybody is on a level playing field. Working fucking harder doesn't get everybody everywhere they want to be. Life is full of circumstances man.
True, one of my buddies also isn't as fortunate as others. He's super smart and hard working, but he came from a poorer family, got into an accident where he had health problems.

Because of he has to take care of his poorer family as well as his personal health reasons, his career and business got side-tracked. he's just doing okay, instead of being well off. Shit happens man.

Then again, maybe if he was a silver spoon kid, he wouldn't be so kind and hard working since his parents money and connection would have helped him out, and he would have said he did all himself and "works hard".

Life isn't as black and white sometimes.
iEatClams is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 12-15-2015, 06:12 PM   #4393

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hondaracer View Post
People bagging groceries and making coffee don't need to live next to their Starbucks downtown.

Someone making 20-40k a year couldn't even buy a 150k place if they have no savings skills.
Those aren't people making even close to 40k a year. Try 25k.
Regardless. People who make 40k can't afford it here, and that kind of sucks.
People who make 60k can't really afford it here, and thats where it gets ridiculous.
Westopher is correct.
Quote:
Quote:
This post thanked by:
Old 12-15-2015, 06:24 PM   #4394
Lomac owned my ass at least once

Thanked 6,187 Times in 2,466 Posts
Quote:
Those aren't people making even close to 40k a year. Try 25k.
Regardless. People who make 40k can't afford it here, and that kind of sucks.
People who make 60k can't really afford it here, and thats where it gets ridiculous.
^^ QFT, esp that 2nd and 3rd line.
Traum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2015, 07:50 PM   #4395

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tone Loc View Post
Lol, so you've interviewed all the "young kids these days" ...?

Just because the young people in your particular circle are lazy and entitled, it doesn't mean everyone is. And partly, you're right - there are plenty of people my age who have no drive, no motivation and expect everything to just come together when we live in an economy where it likely will not (unless you have wealthy parents or are working a very decent job).

My point is that the fact that people making $40-50,000 a year can't afford a home near their area of work. You may not care about these "poor people" but at the end of the day, that salary bracket is almost double the national average. You may not think you need these people around - for whatever elitist reason you may have - but in reality, these people probably work in the service sector and drive the economy. They aren't "freeloaders" or "gaming the system". The reality is, you can work as hard as you want, but unless you're making nearly triple or quadruple the national average, owning a home in the Lower Mainland will be a pipe dream. The idea of an "average income" being one that enables one to have an "okay" quality of life.

Considering the fact that many companies do not want to establish themselves in Vancouver for the simple fact that everyone smart enough to get a "decent job" knows they can have a better quality of living elsewhere (aka brain drain). I have friend studying to become doctors or lawyers that are planning to move East once they get their degrees because their "hard work" barely cuts it in Vancouver. If the current trends continue Vancouver will be nothing more than a playground for the wealthy...
Who are Canada's top 1%? - Canada - CBC News

its not that much to be the 1% in Canada.
Old 12-15-2015, 10:05 PM   #4396
I help report spam so I got this! <--

Thanked 1,215 Times in 535 Posts
The average is 383k, so you need to look at that instead of the minimum.
Nlkko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2015, 10:09 PM   #4397

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nlkko View Post
The average is 383k, so you need to look at that instead of the minimum.
Yup the 383k to be 1% is not much at all.
Old 12-15-2015, 10:17 PM   #4398
I contribute to threads in the offtopic forum

Last edited by m4k4v4li; 04-15-2016 at 03:27 AM.
m4k4v4li is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2015, 10:24 PM   #4399
14 dolla balla aint got nothing on me!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Traum View Post
If you don't understand how even wealthy people need support of all kinds from numerous other people, you will never understand why the wealthy playground thing is a bad idea -- a very, very bad idea.

A balanced society is one where the wealth distribution curve pretty much shows up like a bell curve. Skewing to the left is bad because it means most people are poor, and wealth is controlled in the hands of a few people. Skewing to the right is impossible. And an M-shaped distribution is bad news for the government because the poor will keep asking for money, but the rich will find loopholes to avoid funding the government (and you have no middle class to take on that burden).
Thanks for opening up my eyes. Never thought of it that way.
kr4l is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2015, 10:24 PM   #4400

I don't know if I'm being unclear. I'm not complaining.
There are lots of people who's careers aren't where they want to be for reasons more than "they don't work hard."
Generalizing an entire generation about being lazy when wages have increased about 10-20% in the same amount of time houses have increased 500% would lead me to believe there are other factors keeping people out of the market over pure laziness.
Westopher is correct.
Quote:
Quote:
This post thanked by: