REVscene - Vancouver Automotive Forum

Welcome to the REVscene Automotive Forum forums.

Registration is Free!You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today! The banners on the left side and below do not show for registered users!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   REVscene Automotive Forum > Automotive Chat > Vancouver Off-Topic / Current Events

Vancouver Off-Topic / Current Events The off-topic forum for Vancouver, funnies, non-auto centered discussions, WORK SAFE. While the rules are more relaxed here, there are still rules. Please refer to sticky thread in this forum.

Old 12-11-2015, 02:56 PM   #4351
WOAH! i think Vtec just kicked in!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carl Johnson View Post
please go buy lottery ticket since you can see into the future.
thanks for the fail - chill out, im not saying that's exactly what's happening. I'm just saying that's what i think will happen. I even said who knows, meaning that I really don't know for sure.

cause making general Real estate price prediction has the same odds as guessing the lotto numbers.
Advertisement
iEatClams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2015, 02:58 PM   #4352
Willing to sell body for a few minutes on RS

Thanked 30,977 Times in 7,100 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by ImportPsycho View Post
Doesn't this only hurting those who are already struggling to have a place for their family?
If you are buying a 500k+ place and can't muster up an extra few k you need to reevaluate your price range.
Westopher is correct.
Quote:
Originally Posted by fsy82 View Post
seems like you got a dick up your ass well..get that checked
Quote:
Originally Posted by punkwax View Post
Well.. I’d hate to be the first to say it, but Westopher is correct.
westopher is online now   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 12-11-2015, 03:36 PM   #4353
I have named my kids VIC and VLS

Thanked 14,195 Times in 5,577 Posts
5% on a 800k place for a "family" sounds like a foreclosure in the making.

honestly, if you're only puting even 10% down, thats insane imo

i'd be fucking terrified buying anything over 500k without more than 10% down
Old 12-11-2015, 05:23 PM   #4354
WOAH! i think Vtec just kicked in!

Serious, I am curious as to the opinions of the younger members on here who are perhaps post grads of post-secondary or trades school, or in their early to mid twenty's, what are their plans when it comes to housing?

continue Renting?
live at home?
wait for inheritance?
ask for loan or gift down payment from mom and dad?
buy in suburbs?
move somewhere cheaper out of metro Vancouver?
iEatClams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2015, 06:05 PM   #4355
I *heart* Revscene.net very Muchie

If the demographics of Vancouver are any indication...

People in their twenties, living in Vancouver, would rather rent dilapidated, asbestos insulated, post-WWII bungalows than live anywhere east of Boundary Road. Regardless of their income level.

See neighbourhoods like Kits, Commercial Dr and Hastings-Sunrise.
adambomb is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 12-12-2015, 06:10 PM   #4356
My dinner reheated before my turbo spooled

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hondaracer View Post
5% on a 800k place for a "family" sounds like a foreclosure in the making.

honestly, if you're only puting even 10% down, thats insane imo

i'd be fucking terrified buying anything over 500k without more than 10% down
completely agree
VR6GTI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2015, 06:25 PM   #4357
Everyone wants a piece of R S...

Quote:
Originally Posted by iEatClams View Post
Serious, I am curious as to the opinions of the younger members on here who are perhaps post grads of post-secondary or trades school, or in their early to mid twenty's, what are their plans when it comes to housing?

continue Renting?
live at home?
wait for inheritance?
buy in suburbs?
Not sure if I am considered a "younger member", I am 26 but think everyone in the age group or under is fucked in these markets.

Even renting is a competitive market.

Especially the work ethics of younger kids now, expecting to be spoon fed everything including after post secondary.... They are FUCKED lol.

----

Down payment at under 20% is outright STUPID lol
RickyTan3 is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 12-12-2015, 09:37 PM   #4358
I contribute to threads in the offtopic forum

Thanked 7,109 Times in 1,264 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by iEatClams View Post

continue Renting?
live at home?
wait for inheritance?
buy in suburbs?
I'm attending UBC part time, have been for the last 9 years, will buy my house in Richmond before I graduate with money from my parents who are overseas. Not sure if I will get a job or not, really don't even like going to school, just want to make shitty car videos, sell automotive themed stickers and t-shirts with fancy script and get more instagram follows.

Spoiler!
jasonturbo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2015, 08:41 AM   #4359
My homepage has been set to RS

Thanked 2,454 Times in 813 Posts
25 here.

Can confirm RickyTan3's statement. Anybody who is under 25 seems to want everything handed to them. (Think of the big Occupy Sit-ins, they were mainly late teens/early 20's kids) Most of them rent as they "want out" of their parents house yet can't afford shit when they buy $300 pairs of jeans and $150 t-shirts to look cool.

I personally just bought with 20% down, am renovating while working FT daytime and go to school FT at night to upgrade.

The "younger generations" work ethic is complete garbage. 80% of them will fail at life. The other 20% will be the doctors & lawyers you will all depend on later in life.
[17-03, 09:23] Amuro Ray is it normal for my dick to have things growing on it?
Quote:
[15-05, 13:34] FastAnna You guise are like diet coke and I am the mentos
[15-05, 13:34] FastAnna Incredible. How easy it is.
Quote:
Originally Posted by murd0c View Post
I'm scared of spiders... When I see one I toss my cats at it
melloman is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 12-14-2015, 09:21 AM   #4360
I subscribe to Revscene

Quote:
Originally Posted by melloman View Post

Can confirm RickyTan3's statement. Anybody who is under 25 seems to want everything handed to them. (Think of the big Occupy Sit-ins, they were mainly late teens/early 20's kids) Most of them rent as they "want out" of their parents house yet can't afford shit when they buy $300 pairs of jeans and $150 t-shirts to look cool.
Yeah, but #yolo #swagAF bruh
dat_steve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2015, 09:54 AM   #4361

Thanked 1,941 Times in 765 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Z3guy View Post
this is the same person that brags his family supposedly owns 9 houses in the GVRD. So with his thinking his family must own 30-40 houses around the world and has many other diversified stocks and bond investments. lol!!!!
you can't read, never said 9 in GVRD.

some were (before being sold) in GVRD, more than half were outside Canada.
4444 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2015, 09:57 AM   #4362

Thanked 1,941 Times in 765 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by SumAznGuy View Post
He's also the same person who said it isn't that easy for an average Canadian Joe to get a bank loan to buy RE in the US but he was able to because of his work connections.
wot?
i never got US financing. i financed entirely in Canada at par, now US buys 1.35, thus the debt would be 35% cheaper (though was paid off a while ago)

and never said anything about work connections.

love how you guys are making shit up

and it is / was hard for canadians to get good US financing, hence one of the reasons why i financing in Canada.
4444 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2015, 10:15 AM   #4363
RS.net, helping ugly ppl have sex since 2001

Thanked 3,462 Times in 1,671 Posts
This is one of the few stories that I hear about knowing a friend or relative who can afford to buy a relatively new home in Vancouver.

One of my uncles calls my parents to brag about her daughter and her husband looking to buy a home in the $2 million range. They want to buy a home with a big lot, bigger than the standard lots for homes these days.

Then I find out that of course, his daughter, my cousin, and her hubby are getting some help with the home purchase. How?

It turns out that the hubby's parents are gonna sell their town home. Then my cousin will sell their townhouse in the south Main street area of Vancouver. The proceeds of the two townhouse sales will be used to buy this new house.

I figure that my cousin and hubby can afford to buy a $2 million with the sales of the homehomes and the hubby's high employment income. He makes $500,000/year as a partner with one of the big four accounting firms here.

Smart move on their part. They convince the in-laws to sell their home so that they live in the basement of the new home that they buy. The in-laws give them the money to help buy the home AND also free baby sitting while my cousin and hubby go to work.

My first thought was "Yeah, good luck with buying a $2 million home in Vancouver. If it comes down to a bidding war for a home in this range between my cousin and her hubby vs. a Mainlander, the Mainlander is gonna overpay to beat you and buy the home".
Offshore buyers beats the local buyers in Vancouver.
Old 12-14-2015, 10:31 AM   #4364
Need to Seek Professional Help

Thanked 1,820 Times in 501 Posts
22 years old checking in.

Currently living at home, going to school full-time and working part time as well. No plans to move out until I'm around 26, and in solidly in my career. I'm currently working in that field now, it's only a matter of whether they "bridge" me from part-time to full-time once I've completed my degree in the next year. Waiting for my GF to finish school too, she's also working in her field but we both want to be done with school before buying a house.

I could probably rent out and live on my own... but why bother? When I won't have any money to go out, won't be able to afford owning a car, and will generally have a crappier day-to-day life than living at home. My parents are older and retired, they understand the housing market wasn't what it was when they were in their 20s, and they need help around the house so they aren't trying to kick me out (yet).

We are thinking of saving up for a down payment on a condo in the Burnaby or even Coquitlam area and living there, then buying a larger house farther out in the 'burbs if and when we have kids. Parents will probably help us with the down payment as they plan to downsize our current house once I move out and move into a small studio in Downtown (they value walkability over anything else, plus they don't have a whole lot of stuff nor need for space).

All I know is that I sure as hell do not want to live in Vancouver with the way that bike-boy is slowly making the city a hell to commute in...

Last edited by Tone Loc; 12-14-2015 at 11:48 AM.
Tone Loc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2015, 10:48 AM   #4365
Pull Out Towing. Women rescued for free.

Thanked 2,414 Times in 1,283 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by SumAznGuy View Post
He's also the same person who said it isn't that easy for an average Canadian Joe to get a bank loan to buy RE in the US but he was able to because of his work connections.
Quote:
Originally Posted by 4444 View Post
wot?
i never got US financing. i financed entirely in Canada at par, now US buys 1.35, thus the debt would be 35% cheaper (though was paid off a while ago)

and never said anything about work connections.

love how you guys are making shit up

and it is / was hard for canadians to get good US financing, hence one of the reasons why i financing in Canada.
http://www.revscene.net/forums/66221...ml#post7780313

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4444 View Post
Basically, I'm a bit of a tease with this one, most ppl cannot get mortgages down there, unless they have connections - I have connections, but it has taken a lot of leg work on my part to get these, which is a great for me and those who invest with me.
Sorry, but I never said you used US financing to buy your US properties.
I just said you had "connections" that Regular Canadian Joe's don't have.
Quote:
Originally Posted by tofu1413 View Post
and icing on the cake, lady driving a newer chrysler 200 infront of me... jumped out of her car, dropped her pants, did an immediate squat and did probably the longest public relief ever...... steam and all.

(11-0-0) Buy/Sell rating
Christine
Shitvic
Pull Out Towing
SumAznGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2015, 04:05 PM   #4366
Banned (ABWS)

You know what really surprises me about people nowadays. It's how they always like to blame the younger population for their woes.
How many of you work with the young everyday to make such generalized statements that they are spoonfed. I mean if I make generalized statements like all muslims are terrorists and Christians are child molesters, I'd be lynched by the moral police, but generational bashing is completely fine with false statements.

I am by no means young nor old, but I have met people on both sides of the generation gap who have genuine concerns that get brushed aside by holier-than-thou people who think mortgaging their life for basic shelter and then being at the mercy of mortgage rates is something that is expected.

I think people in general need to stop being accusative and address the genuine issues. When the young have had enough and are so disillusioned to start burning down your mortgaged houses, don't say I didn't already warn you.

Disclaimer: I'm 27, healthcare professional, moved out of Vancouver and I would be considered well above the annual household income.
twdm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2015, 04:11 PM   #4367

All the people on my Facebook timeline who were pushing g for the liberals are the same ones with the mentality of "I make 40k a year and I should be able to buy a house"

If you have a job virtually anyone can be trained to do, no, you shouldn't be able to simply "afford a house" especially In Vancouver.
Old 12-14-2015, 04:15 PM   #4368

I agree with the "afford a house" part of it, but keep in mind in Vancouver there are plenty of those 40k jobs that we need filled here.
They should at least be able to afford a shoebox condo near those jobs that are livable, or afford a place and the transportation to their job. A city needs that to function as a city. Remember 40k a year is double the minimum wage.
Westopher is correct.
Quote:
Quote:
This post thanked by:
Old 12-14-2015, 04:59 PM   #4369
Everyone wants a piece of R S...

Quote:
Originally Posted by twdm View Post
You know what really surprises me about people nowadays. It's how they always like to blame the younger population for their woes.
How many of you work with the young everyday to make such generalized statements that they are spoonfed. I mean if I make generalized statements like all muslims are terrorists and Christians are child molesters, I'd be lynched by the moral police, but generational bashing is completely fine with false statements.

I am by no means young nor old, but I have met people on both sides of the generation gap who have genuine concerns that get brushed aside by holier-than-thou people who think mortgaging their life for basic shelter and then being at the mercy of mortgage rates is something that is expected.

I think people in general need to stop being accusative and address the genuine issues. When the young have had enough and are so disillusioned to start burning down your mortgaged houses, don't say I didn't already warn you.

Disclaimer: I'm 27, healthcare professional, moved out of Vancouver and I would be considered well above the annual household income.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hondaracer View Post
All the people on my Facebook timeline who were pushing g for the liberals are the same ones with the mentality of "I make 40k a year and I should be able to buy a house"

If you have a job virtually anyone can be trained to do, no, you shouldn't be able to simply "afford a house" especially In Vancouver.
I am not bashing the younger generation there is always different types of people in a group, however the MAJORITY of the younger generation act the same way.

Most people expect to go into school or start a job clock in and out. Adding no VALUE to anything. They just want to work 8 hours a day have a nice car and a nice house. Guess what! You wont be able to do so unless going into massive debt. Especially in todays housing market.

What they don't tell you before going into college or university is that after you bust your balls for that degree or piece of paper that you're going to be busting your balls 1000% harder.

Majority of the younger crowd is not ready for that. They think its rainbows and butterflies and easy. WRONG MOTHER FUCKER.

The best quote I ever heard is "Success is hard work, but guess what being broke as fuck is hard too. So what do you want to be?"

If you want that fucking s63 work harder, you want that 2 million dollar property work fucking harder.
RickyTan3 is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 12-14-2015, 05:12 PM   #4370

You act like everybody is on a level playing field. Working fucking harder doesn't get everybody everywhere they want to be. Life is full of circumstances man.
Intelligence, luck, looks, connections, family, social skills, confidence, honesty, dishonesty, among a few million other things determine where people get in life.
Westopher is correct.
Quote:
Quote:
This post thanked by:
Old 12-14-2015, 05:23 PM   #4371

There are bachelor suites in china town, essentially "downtown going for 200k

If that's not good enough for someone who wants to be in Vancouver working one of those types of jobs then that's a personal issue.
Old 12-14-2015, 05:28 PM   #4372
14 dolla balla aint got nothing on me!

Quote:
Originally Posted by RickyTan3 View Post
I am not bashing the younger generation there is always different types of people in a group, however the MAJORITY of the younger generation act the same way.

Most people expect to go into school or start a job clock in and out. Adding no VALUE to anything. They just want to work 8 hours a day have a nice car and a nice house. Guess what! You wont be able to do so unless going into massive debt. Especially in todays housing market.

What they don't tell you before going into college or university is that after you bust your balls for that degree or piece of paper that you're going to be busting your balls 1000% harder.

Majority of the younger crowd is not ready for that. They think its rainbows and butterflies and easy. WRONG MOTHER FUCKER.

The best quote I ever heard is "Success is hard work, but guess what being broke as fuck is hard too. So what do you want to be?"

If you want that fucking s63 work harder, you want that 2 million dollar property work fucking harder.
I agree 99% here. But through my days, I've learned to 'work smart, not hard'

If I was in my early 20's again, I'd get the fuck out of this city fast. Let's be real. Vancouver is unaffordable for the new generation, period. Even if the price dropped in half, it's still unaffordable to most people. (House-wise). Buy a 1 bedroom condo, rent, or move away.
kr4l is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 12-14-2015, 05:46 PM   #4373

Thanked 7,109 Times in 1,264 Posts
Quote:

You make this shit sound so easy man.

Like for real tho, I'm flipping these burgers as fast as I can.
jasonturbo is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 12-14-2015, 05:56 PM   #4374
Banned (ABWS)

Quote:

So tell me how many people do you know that you know the mindset of the majority of the youth in Vancouver. Sensationalism at its best, spewing anecdotal evidence and taking it as the gospel. I have met many people in all walks of life who work hard in school, work, etc, yet have no chance of affording a livable home.

Heck, I'm in Hong Kong right now, and I can tell you, 10 year old kids have studied and work harder than I have all my life, and they have no chance of getting a decent job or home unless their family was rich to begin with. It might just be occupy central now, but when these kids come out of school with no future, it will be burn down central.

Vancouver is going the same direction and while I have the luxury of being able to get out of dodge, I'm sure a lot of people don't have the same luxury, but unfortunately these same people don't understand how society works until it blows up on them.

Unfortunately if people don't understand that unaffordable housing prices doesn't benefit society, then we can only sit back and wait for the fireworks.
twdm is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 12-14-2015, 07:26 PM   #4375
I subscribe to Revscene

I need to move lol
Durrann is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by: