REVscene - Vancouver Automotive Forum

Welcome to the REVscene Automotive Forum forums.

Registration is Free!You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today! The banners on the left side and below do not show for registered users!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   REVscene Automotive Forum > Automotive Chat > Vancouver Off-Topic / Current Events

Vancouver Off-Topic / Current Events The off-topic forum for Vancouver, funnies, non-auto centered discussions, WORK SAFE. While the rules are more relaxed here, there are still rules. Please refer to sticky thread in this forum.

Old 10-07-2016, 03:54 PM   #8576
Willing to sell body for a few minutes on RS

Thanked 3,074 Times in 1,184 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by TOPEC View Post
again mayne some shady stunt pulled by the son again lol.
Are we talking about Anthony Espinosa again?
Advertisement
Honest to fucking Christ the easiest way to get a married woman in the mood is clean the house and do the laundry.....I've been with the same girl almost 17 years, ask me how I know. - quasi
Gumby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2016, 12:36 AM   #8577

Thanked 31,169 Times in 7,158 Posts
Good read about what I've been saying for a long time. But you know maybe all those people being displaced are just fucking so entitled......
Vancouver?s housing boom sets off human-rights alarm at UN - The Globe and Mail
Westopher is correct.
Quote:
Originally Posted by fsy82 View Post
seems like you got a dick up your ass well..get that checked
Quote:
Originally Posted by punkwax View Post
Well.. I’d hate to be the first to say it, but Westopher is correct.
westopher is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 10-08-2016, 01:11 AM   #8578
I contribute to threads in the offtopic forum

Quote:
Originally Posted by TOPEC View Post
the property was listed for sale back in early july, at that time my family though they were just selling the house. later on we learned that its cause they owe the bank money. how long has it been going on or how many payments were missed i dont know as like i said, distance relatives as the kid tried to pull a stunt on me before so ever since then i never spoke to that family anymore. at this point from what i've learn, the parents still dont know their house is being sold off as the parents r being deceived by their "supposedly" good son. what i want to know is the whole process of being foreclosed, starting from missing payments. from what i understand, the property is under the moms name, and the mom is only here a few days of the year, n im pretty sure theres got to be some documents the title holder needs to sign for this process to start? again mayne some shady stunt pulled by the son again lol.
When a mortgage payment is missed the lender will send a reminder letter first. If the letter is ignored or another payment is missed they will send a demand letter. It details options to keep your mortgage in good standing. Whatever options the lender offers is completely dependent on them and the circumstances. If the owner can't do anything, foreclosure proceedings begin with the lender filing a petition in supreme court.

In your relatives case, if the home was up for sale that means the lender received court approval for the sale if the title owner (the mother) was still unaware at this point so she wouldn't have needed to sign anything. The lender also would've had a charge (certificate of pending litigation) added on title to prevent an unauthorized sale without court approval. Even during foreclosure proceedings an owner can plead to the court to work out something with the lender as long as the intent is sincere.

During foreclosure, if owner occupied, they can remain in the home without paying the mortgage but they are at the mercy of the court.

Should the proceeds of the sale not cover the balance owing the lender can go after the title owner (the mom) for the remaining amount.

"Harvey Belafonte ain't black. He's just a good looking white guy dipped in caramel. " - Archie Bunker
Bonka is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 10-14-2016, 01:24 AM   #8579
i like gifs

Thanked 7,785 Times in 2,695 Posts
Slower growth or even reversal predicted for Greater Vancouver home prices - British Columbia - CBC News

Quote:
Royal LePage CEO Phil Soper said house prices in Greater Vancouver grew 30.6 per cent year-over-year in the third quarter of the year, marking what may have been the real estate market's "final hurrah."

Soper said he expects that price growth in Vancouver will slow or even reverse in the months ahead as the effects of recent federal and provincial government rule changes begin to be felt.

He said it can take about six months for prices to catch up with a change in demand, and points to last month's 32-per cent plunge in home sales in Greater Vancouver.

Soper isn't blaming B.C's new 15 per cent tax on foreign home buyers for the decline, saying sales were already softening when the tax took effect in August, but he believes the tax may have been the change that finally tipped the scales.

The real estate agency said the average house price in the region soared to $1.19 million in the three-month period that ended on Sept. 30, up from $914,705 during the same quarter last year.

The average price of a home in Greater Toronto rose to $693,154 over the third quarter, up 13.6 per cent compared to last year, when the average home price was $610,308.

In Edmonton, where the decline in oil prices has hurt the real estate market, the average cost of a home was down 3.1 per cent to $374,712 from $386,829 a year ago.

Royal LePage said its national house price composite — a figure based on 53 of the country's largest real estate markets — showed that the average price of a home climbed 12 per cent from a year ago to $545,414 in the third quarter.
Toronto is always thought of as the "center of the universe" in terms of Canada, but it's really surprising to see that the average price of a Vancouver home is almost double that of Toronto.
Ch28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2016, 04:58 AM   #8580
I *heart* Revscene.net very Muchie

Thanked 3,814 Times in 957 Posts
Well that makes here the center of the joke with way less opportunities and lower salary coupled with higher cost of living thanks to the real estate.
flagella is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 10-14-2016, 05:58 AM   #8581
I have named my kids VIC and VLS

Thanked 14,347 Times in 5,651 Posts
Look at the GTA area, there's infinitely more supply than Vancouver.
Old 10-14-2016, 12:20 PM   #8582
RS has made me the bitter person i am today!

Thanked 2,463 Times in 1,127 Posts
Speaking of Toronto, it's not just the Chinese who are driving prices there - it's young couples like these two.

The Chase: A young couple goes west-end home shopping, with parental help

Help from parents via HELOC. Pretty standard stuff.
Tapioca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2016, 12:24 PM   #8583
Pull Out Towing. Women rescued for free.

Thanked 2,414 Times in 1,283 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tapioca View Post
Speaking of Toronto, it's not just the Chinese who are driving prices there - it's young couples like these two.

Scary that they got $500,000 from both parents and couldn't get a $280,000 mortgage for that place.
Quote:
Originally Posted by tofu1413 View Post
and icing on the cake, lady driving a newer chrysler 200 infront of me... jumped out of her car, dropped her pants, did an immediate squat and did probably the longest public relief ever...... steam and all.

(11-0-0) Buy/Sell rating
Christine
Shitvic
Pull Out Towing
SumAznGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 10-14-2016, 12:29 PM   #8584
linguistic ninja

Thanked 3,385 Times in 1,233 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tapioca View Post

Ugh. Reading this makes me want to puke. This is what's wrong with the Canadian Real estate market...no wait Canadian Society right here.

Poor guy. Probably pressured by his in-laws to make their daughter 'happy'. 23 years old and already saddled with probably 600K+ in debt plus half a lifetime of mother-in-law drama. At their age I was ready to take on the world. Hope they're happy in Etobicoke

edit: just read it again and he's a Real estate agent...and she works for her dad's Housing-related company. Oh well, there you go...gotta keep the bubble growing!

Still a card carrying member of the SFC :)

Last edited by CivicBlues; 10-14-2016 at 12:39 PM.
CivicBlues is offline   Reply With Quote
This post FAILED by:
Old 10-14-2016, 12:36 PM   #8585
I help report spam so I got this! <--

Thanked 1,215 Times in 535 Posts
Fucking disgusting. That couple combined income probably less than 80k-90k. Trying to buy a house with value 10 times that.

I don't know does nobody knows what living debt free feel like? I can tell you: it's fucking great. Too many people being pressured into working shitty ass jobs for scumbag bosses because they're drowning in debts and cannot afford to stay unemployed for even a month.
Nlkko is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 10-14-2016, 02:28 PM   #8586
I contribute to threads in the offtopic forum

Thanked 1,022 Times in 450 Posts
Not if the real estate market doubles in the next year.
Spoon is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 10-17-2016, 11:22 AM   #8587

Thanked 7,759 Times in 2,313 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by CivicBlues View Post
Ugh. Reading this makes me want to puke. This is what's wrong with the Canadian Real estate market...no wait Canadian Society right here.

Poor guy. Probably pressured by his in-laws to make their daughter 'happy'. 23 years old and already saddled with probably 600K+ in debt plus half a lifetime of mother-in-law drama. At their age I was ready to take on the world. Hope they're happy in Etobicoke
So just because people want something different in life than you they are wrong?

They will probably be laughing at you in 15 years, when they have a comfortable life, with a paid off house, taking trips to europe, two nice cars, etc.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nlkko View Post
Fucking disgusting. That couple combined income probably less than 80k-90k. Trying to buy a house with value 10 times that.

I don't know does nobody knows what living debt free feel like? I can tell you: it's fucking great. Too many people being pressured into working shitty ass jobs for scumbag bosses because they're drowning in debts and cannot afford to stay unemployed for even a month.
They have 500k cash. At 800k they have over 60% down payment. How is this an issue? Even if they only earn 80k a year combined with payments around 3000 a month, they could easily make a living and pay the 300k mortgage off in 10 years. And that's assuming they make the same combined 80k a year the entire time, which is obviously ridiculous, they are only 23 years old, their income will obviously go up in the next 3 years. These two are in better shape than 80% of the rest of the new homeowners in this country.

It's great that you don't want a mortgage, but real estate historically has been a good place to store and create wealth. These two are lucky enough to have parents who are generous and can afford to give them some money so they start their life together off on a good foot. Atleast they are choosing to use it in a manner that benefits them in the long run rather than blow it on a new BMW and vacations to the Caribbean and shit.

You guys are just shitting on these two because their parents gave them 500k. If this was a couple in their 30's who had saved up 500k, looking to buy a house, nobody would bat an eye. In fact they would probably use them as an example in this thread and point out the fact that it is so sad a couple in their 30's had to save for 10 years before being able to even afford a downpayment on a place.

Barney Fucking Purple FX35
Brianna - 2008 FX35 - Build Thread
meme405 is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
This post FAILED by:
Old 10-17-2016, 12:13 PM   #8588
I *heart* Revscene.net very Muchie

Thanked 3,236 Times in 1,222 Posts
This is pretty much the new reality going forward. If you want to buy a place then you better hope your parents have their shit together so they can give you the bulk of the mortgage down payment. It's barely possible to save up now without help imagine in 20 years when prices even more fucked.
MarkyMark is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 10-17-2016, 12:21 PM   #8589
My homepage has been set to RS

Thanked 1,874 Times in 604 Posts
I agree with MarkyMark, the new norm will be parents substantially helping out their kids to buy their first place in Vancouver. You gotta think though that the 10billion+ transfer of wealth from current older Vancouver home owners to their kids has to end up somewhere......all that money is not going to just leave the Vancouver core.....
86 944 Turbo with 340rwhp Lindsay Racing kit
15 991 PTS GT3
18 VW Golf R
Z3guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2016, 12:24 PM   #8590

They can't keep going forever. Money is a finite resource.
It's sad though, they put in all these rules to cool off the market and all it does is make it harder for first time homebuyers. When are they going to target the real fucking problem? Investors.
Another saga in the rich get richer. Welcome to America.
Westopher is correct.
Quote:
Quote:
This post thanked by:
Old 10-17-2016, 12:53 PM   #8591
linguistic ninja

Quote:
Originally Posted by meme405 View Post
So just because people want something different in life than you they are wrong?

They will probably be laughing at you in 15 years, when they have a comfortable life, with a paid off house, taking trips to europe, two nice cars, etc.
Doubt it, the way their nesting instinct is showing and (if I may be tad racist) her ethnicity they'll probably be popping out 3-4 kids within 10 years. She'll be lucky to even get a chance to fit out the front door before saying to her hubby "we need a bigger place!" and finding out they can only afford in the outer 905 area code.

I on the other hand, while a decade older, have lived a full life and could die happy tomorrow. Done the Europe/Caribbean/Asia travel thing at least once a year and own property to boot without parental help. I'm not rich, and earn a middling salary. How do I do it? I don't overextend myself like these 2 idiots. #sorrynotsorry

p.s. If you think being gifted 500K is the same as earning it you're no better than the garbage we see on TV every day like Kim Kartrashian.

Last edited by CivicBlues; 10-17-2016 at 01:00 PM.
Old 10-17-2016, 01:06 PM   #8592

Quote:
Originally Posted by westopher View Post
They can't keep going forever. Money is a finite resource.
The most logical thing I have heard when discussing this; Money is finite. Wealth however is not.

We've had the conversation of paper rich vs actually rich in this thread a dozen times.

The conversation of money and it's total economic reach is one that's almost all speculation. Nobody actually knows how deep this economic system we have created is, there is so many cogs and wheels, and so many different players, it's an intricate thing.

You could say that because there is a finite amount of raw materials on earth, and therefore we could reach an economic peak as we approach utilization of all that material, at which point transfer of wealth would only occur on recycling of material. But this will never happen, we will die off long before that, or we will flee this planet and inhabit another one.

Spoiler!

Last edited by meme405; 10-17-2016 at 01:11 PM.
Old 10-17-2016, 01:35 PM   #8593
linguistic ninja

Quote:

Jesus that's a whole lot of terrible right in a row. I'm not gonna touch the kids thing, except to say that just because you may not value having kids doesn't mean it isn't some other people's dreams to have a family and care for them.

I'm only going to comment on the last item about being gifted 500k. You mean to tell me that Alex Aguila and Nelson Gonzalez who started Alienware based on a $10,000 gift they received, didn't earn the $100 million they sold the company for in 2006?
Didn't say anything about the validity of having kids or not. Merely used that as a tool to illustrate that their situation is not an endgame and that being handed huge amounts of money to be given their "dream home" at such a young age is anathema to their own psychological wellbeing, their parent's finances and the economy at large.

And whatnow? Buying real estate in Toronto is akin to a running a successful tech startup?

Old 10-17-2016, 02:06 PM   #8594
I have named my kids VIC and VLS

Thanked 14,347 Times in 5,651 Posts
not having kids is dat touchy subjecto around hurr
Old 10-17-2016, 02:11 PM   #8595

Quote:
Originally Posted by CivicBlues View Post
anathema
It's not everyday someone uses a word I actually have to look up.

Word of the Day: Anathema (/əˈnaTHəmə/)
Noun
1. a person or thing accursed or consigned to damnation or destruction.

2. a formal curse by a pope or a council of the Church, excommunicating a person or denouncing a doctrine.

This post thanked by:
Old 10-17-2016, 02:23 PM   #8596
Pull Out Towing. Women rescued for free.

Thanked 2,414 Times in 1,283 Posts
Quote:
I think both you and CB are both possibly right as you guys are looking at it from 2 different extremes.
We don't know for sure if that $500K gift has to be repaid or if that is free money to them.
We know that they were not approved for a $280K mortgage, which leads me to believe that they have not be in the work force long enough to qualify for a mortgage.

Assuming the money is a gift and does not need to be paid back, then even with just a single income, they should be able to handle that $280K mortgage at the current interest rates.

Who knows, maybe in 2 years they will split and things will get nasty trying to decide who gets what and for how much.
Quote:
Originally Posted by tofu1413 View Post
and icing on the cake, lady driving a newer chrysler 200 infront of me... jumped out of her car, dropped her pants, did an immediate squat and did probably the longest public relief ever...... steam and all.

(11-0-0) Buy/Sell rating
Christine
Shitvic
Pull Out Towing
SumAznGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2016, 02:27 PM   #8597

Thanked 2,463 Times in 1,127 Posts
You know whom I feel sorry for? Millennials whose parents didn't invest in RESPs. Student debt is the real source of inequality going forward.
Tapioca is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 10-17-2016, 02:33 PM   #8598

Thanked 4,808 Times in 1,768 Posts
So wait, if parents want to downsize and then gift a portion of that to their kids rather than sitting on it until they die so that kids get it as an inheritance, that's somehow bad?
2014 F150 5.0L XTR 4x4

A vehicle for all occasions
Great68 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2016, 02:48 PM   #8599
linguistic ninja

Quote:
Originally Posted by Great68 View Post
So wait, if parents want to downsize and then gift a portion of that to their kids rather than sitting on it until they die so that kids get it as an inheritance, that's somehow bad?
Great for the kids receiving and maybe the parents, but generally speaking, bad for everyone else with housing being such a limited resource.

Having a house with a yard and white picket fence isn't bad in and of itself. It's just when everyone wants one it leads to urban sprawl, traffic jams, inner city blight.

Tragedy of the Commons - google it.

Old 10-17-2016, 02:49 PM   #8600

Quote:
Originally Posted by Great68 View Post
I don't think anyone is saying that to any extent. I do think that people having their parents leverage their homes in a volatile market and economy to use credit to gift a massive down payment for a grossly extravagant first home however, is quite ridiculous.
Westopher is correct.
Quote:
Quote: