REVscene - Vancouver Automotive Forum

Welcome to the REVscene Automotive Forum forums.

Registration is Free!You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today! The banners on the left side and below do not show for registered users!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   REVscene Automotive Forum > Automotive Chat > Vancouver Off-Topic / Current Events

Vancouver Off-Topic / Current Events The off-topic forum for Vancouver, funnies, non-auto centered discussions, WORK SAFE. While the rules are more relaxed here, there are still rules. Please refer to sticky thread in this forum.

Old 11-08-2016, 11:26 AM   #8826
Hypa owned my ass at least once

Thanked 6,288 Times in 2,506 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by VR6GTI View Post
Why do foreign buyers buy a property and not rent it out?
If your not going to live in it why not rent it out and make some money. Whats the point of letting it sit empty?
Also, realize that for certain foreign buyers -- probably esp true for some from Mainland China -- a major reason to buy property here is the secure transfer and realization of those funds from an unstable econopolitical environment. So their motivation to buy in the first place is not investment.
Advertisement
Traum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2016, 11:33 AM   #8827
I have named my kids VIC and VLS

Thanked 14,316 Times in 5,636 Posts
My buddy who rents back from foreign owners who bought his place were not going to rent it out because they wanted to treat it as a hotel room whenever they came here, only when they saw how clean and kept my buddy left his place did they agree to rent back
Old 11-08-2016, 02:57 PM   #8828
Pull Out Towing. Women rescued for free.

Thanked 2,414 Times in 1,283 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by quasi View Post
Whoa, gear down big rig nobody deserves to live in that dump known as Regina this coming from a guy who came from there. You think the crime is bad in here? You don't dare go near the downtown core after dark in Regina unless you want to get stabbed, shot or stabbed well being shot.

I had a chance to go back, double my wage and pay cash for a house nicer then the one I live in now and it still wasn't worth it.
I dunno. I was there for work and was wandering around the downtown core playing Pokemon and while it was a tad quiet, never felt that unsafe. Never got the DTES feel.
But then again, i was only there for 1 night.
Quote:
Originally Posted by tofu1413 View Post
and icing on the cake, lady driving a newer chrysler 200 infront of me... jumped out of her car, dropped her pants, did an immediate squat and did probably the longest public relief ever...... steam and all.

(11-0-0) Buy/Sell rating
Christine
Shitvic
Pull Out Towing
SumAznGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2016, 03:04 PM   #8829

Quote:
Originally Posted by 6thGear. View Post
Like I said, CPI has the right to check the actual building that includes the siding/stucco/brick veneer, roofing, boiler, furnace, etc. Those are the major components of any building/single dwelling that should be checked which will cost the most for repairs. If the Strata tells the caretaker to not allow anyone access then there should be red flags up everywhere. As a buyer I would walk away instantaneously. No different than a seller of a car not allowing a mechanic run compression/leak down and only allowing them to open the door and honk the horn. In regards to the windows the reason why you would check up top is that's where the leaks start. If by the time water is pooling on the ledge and the drywall is moist its too late. You're not talking about a couple hundred dollar fix. Now you're talking about water damage inside the walls including mold. Also what you're saying about reading strata minutes isn't entirely wrong but that's assuming they actually input the info for the minutes. At the end of the day the council are also home owners and they also look out for their own interest
All the stuff you mentioned is covered in the deficiency report.
So yeah.
Also, in regards to the window leaks, just because you don't see water or wet spots, doesn't mean it isn't leaking.

But if you feel that strongly about them, that is your choice. I am just saying what I feel, and others have said in this thread.

Good day sir.
Quote:
and icing on the cake, lady driving a newer chrysler 200 infront of me... jumped out of her car, dropped her pants, did an immediate squat and did probably the longest public relief ever...... steam and all.

(11-0-0) Buy/Sell rating
Christine
Shitvic
Pull Out Towing
Old 11-08-2016, 04:32 PM   #8830
Willing to sell body for a few minutes on RS

Thanked 3,731 Times in 1,322 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by SumAznGuy View Post
I dunno. I was there for work and was wandering around the downtown core playing Pokemon and while it was a tad quiet, never felt that unsafe. Never got the DTES feel.
I think you should consider yourself lucky your phone wasn't taken from you. I go back occasionally my parents live 20 minutes outside of Regina in a little bumfuck town, my Aunt lives there and works in corrections it's pretty terrible there for crime.

Even when I was a kid back in the 80's it was bad and it's only got worse with all the gangs. This is the kind of shit that goes on there. This guy stopped for a slice of pizza near downtown, a place my dad used to take me for a late night snack on Saturday nights after my mom and sister were sleeping back when I was a kid.

Kidnapped and beaten: a man's terrifying night in Regina | News Talk 980 CJME

Quote:
Tied up in a house that had blood on the walls and seeing the remains of others' wallets strewn around, a 58-year-old man listened as his kidnappers decided whether to kill him.

He was the victim in a kidnapping reported last week in Regina. It happened overnight on Dec. 18.

The man was in Regina for work. The trucker parked his large truck, taken a cab to a cash machine at Victoria Avenue and Winnipeg Street, and then got a bite to eat at the Triple-8 Pizza on Victoria Avenue.

His truck was only six or seven blocks away so he decided to walk back; that's when he was attacked.

"They duct taped my head up over top of a rag and took me to a house," he described.

He said that he could see a bit around the rag when he looked over his glasses. He called the house "gory."

"I wasn't the first guy that was beaten in that house. There was high velocity blood stains on the wall and, you name it – other wallet material, you know that come from wallets."

The man said they made him hand over all his money and credit cards before they beat him with a ball peen hammer. Then one of his kidnappers went out to drain the money from his accounts.

"The most terrible thing I've ever had happen in the world is that they were discussing whether they were going to kill me or not," said the man. "Two people wanted to kill me, and one wanted me to...one wanted to let me go because he said he didn't want to deal with a dead body that night."

He said they eventually decided to let him go.

"They took me outside and they tried to disorientate me by spinning me in circles and pushing me over, and spinning me in more circles, and taking me this way, and taking me that way."

He said they walked him a ways away and then left him in the middle of the street with cars whizzing past him. He said he could hear them honking, and it wasn't until the noise calmed down and he couldn't hear his attackers anymore that he tried to pry the rags and duct tape from his eyes.

"I looked around and here I'm in the middle of the street. So then I spun a circle there and took a look around and didn't see them. So then I chose to go in the direction of the most light."

He walked a little ways, then took a rest. He said he must have had an angel with him that night.

"I looked around and you know what the sign said? City of Regina police headquarters."

Then the man said he went up the stairs to a phone and called for help.

"It was terrifying, but it was very satisfying when I saw that police headquarters, I'll tell 'ya. It was my saviour of sorts."

He had a black eye and bruises, but he didn't go to the hospital. He said the police had a paramedic check him out.

"I was more interested in the policeman getting to the...showing him where the house was before I forgot than I was in taking care of my well-being.

The man said he was counting his steps, and was able to bring the police back to the house he was taken to. That night, he called some friends he has in the city to get some help. Then that day he was back on the road, taking a load back home. He said his boss offered to pick him up, but the man refused.

"I was kind of a little adamant that, you know, I'm okay. I'll suck it up for now," he said.

"I suppose that I should have just said 'the heck with it,' but, you know, you're 300 or 400 klicks from home right, so you 'gotta get home one way or the other."

Speaking with News Talk Radio over the phone, the man spoke slowly with lots of pauses and breaths, but he sounded normal, extraordinarily normal for someone who almost faced death less than a week before.

The man said he feels he's lucky to be alive. But he's not fine. He and his wife are scared of reprisals because he believes at least one of the men arrested is involved in a gang. He said his wife is scared of being home by herself.

He said this won't make him stop coming into Regina, but he might now take precautions when he's out of his truck.

"We've lived life with our doors unlocked and our keys in our ignition. I mean (my town) is a great place to live in, and when you go to Regina, you live in a place where you get out of your vehicle, you lock your vehicle, you lock everything up."

Two men have been arrested and charged in the case. Milo Bear, 29, of Regina is being charged with armed robbery and forcible confinement. Charles Doiron, 32, from B.C. is being charged with possession of property obtained by crime. A third suspect remains at large.

The Regina Police Service wasn't able to say how often crimes like this happen. It was able to say that forcible confinement – the charge for holding/confining someone against their will – was up in 2014 compared to the past three years with 25 incidents; it's about par with the five years before that.

“The world ain't all sunshine and rainbows. It's a very mean and nasty place... and I donīt care how tough you are, it will beat you to your knees and keep you there permanently, if you let it. You, me or nobody, is gonna hit as hard as life. But ain't about how hard you hit... It's about how hard you can get hit, and keep moving forward... how much you can take, and keep moving forward. Thatīs how winning is done. Now, if you know what you worth, go out and get what you worth.” - Rocky Balboa

Last edited by quasi; 11-08-2016 at 05:44 PM.
quasi is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 11-08-2016, 06:41 PM   #8831
i like gifs

Thanked 7,785 Times in 2,695 Posts
Quote:
DTES is nothing compared to some of the crime ridden neighbourhoods in other parts of Canada/US.

You can walk along the DTES and not have any issues as long as you keep to yourself and mind your own business.
Ch28 is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 11-08-2016, 08:57 PM   #8832
Performance Moderator

Thanked 15,393 Times in 5,088 Posts
^ truth... So many places on the USA if you were to walk through them you'd never have any issues ever again.

Because dead.
68style is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2016, 10:01 PM   #8833
My dinner reheated before my turbo spooled

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarkyMark View Post
Went to another townhouse showing in Yorkson Langley this weekend. The starting price was 399 and I can say that the demand in the 400k range is alive and well. Once you get to the 500k range you pretty much have your choice of whatever unit you want.
If you're looking in Langley shouldn't u be buying a house?

Strata units only do well along major transit routes and as close to DT as possible.

Last edited by Ludepower; 11-08-2016 at 10:07 PM.
Ludepower is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2016, 01:47 AM   #8834
i like gifs

Thanked 7,785 Times in 2,695 Posts
FYI - Info on Marquee @ Lougheed Heights

Ch28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2016, 02:17 AM   #8835
y'all better put some respeck on my name

Thanked 9,244 Times in 2,359 Posts
What's the deposit structure? 10-5-5?
Harvey Specter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2016, 06:32 AM   #8836

Quote:
Originally Posted by quasi View Post
I think you should consider yourself lucky your phone wasn't taken from you. I go back occasionally my parents live 20 minutes outside of Regina in a little bumfuck town, my Aunt lives there and works in corrections it's pretty terrible there for crime.
Interesting. I was staying at the Holiday Inn on 11th ave and Rose street. I walked west towards Albert street and around City Hall and the Electric building.
Maybe I should be asking for danger pay from work when they send me there next year.
Quote:

(11-0-0) Buy/Sell rating
Christine
Shitvic
Pull Out Towing
This post thanked by:
Old 11-09-2016, 06:51 AM   #8837
reads most threads with his pants around his ankles, especially in the Forced Induction forum.

Thanked 2,191 Times in 1,131 Posts
Wonder if our real estate will go up since a lot of Americans is thinking/looking to come to Canada after Trump won the election.
Mr.HappySilp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2016, 07:06 AM   #8838

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr.HappySilp View Post
Wonder if our real estate will go up since a lot of Americans is thinking/looking to come to Canada after Trump won the election.
Well, Immigration Canada's website crashed last night. People theorize the crash was due to too many people accessing the website, most likely Murican's that want to move up here.
Quote:

(11-0-0) Buy/Sell rating
Christine
Shitvic
Pull Out Towing
Old 11-09-2016, 07:22 AM   #8839
I *heart* Revscene.net very Muchie

Thanked 3,235 Times in 1,221 Posts
Even with their stronger dollar an American will look at a house here and say "500k gets me that? " and then start sprinting East.
MarkyMark is online now   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 11-09-2016, 07:29 AM   #8840
RS has made me the bitter person i am today!

Thanked 2,459 Times in 1,126 Posts
All that talk about Americans moving here is just that - talk.

It's cold. We have higher taxes. We pay more for food and gas. We have less selection in consumer goods. The average American is probably harder working than the average Canadian, but hard work is not really rewarded here as evidenced by our historically lower productivity. There's no reason for any gainfully employed American to move to Canada unless they're moving for love/marriage.
Tapioca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2016, 07:32 AM   #8841
SFICC-03*

Thanked 2,452 Times in 986 Posts
americans are just not that motivated to do anything, let alone actually jump through all the hoops to move here.
unit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2016, 10:34 AM   #8842
My homepage has been set to RS

iwantaskyline is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2016, 01:54 PM   #8843
14 dolla balla aint got nothing on me!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ch28 View Post
FYI - Info on Marquee @ Lougheed Heights

Isn't starting 1 bedrooms $329,00 at marquee? My realtor told me to check it out and I'm positive it was the same price as city of lougheed. Only issue was it was further away from the main hub but it does have a sky train like 5 minute walk. Also has a pool only for that building so no sharing between the 3 towers

Deposit is 10-5-5
kr4l is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2016, 02:17 PM   #8844
I have named my kids VIC and VLS

Thanked 14,316 Times in 5,636 Posts
Kinda lol @ separate designation of "large two bedroom"
Old 11-09-2016, 02:17 PM   #8845
I *Fwap* *Fwap* *Fwap* to RS

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr.HappySilp View Post
I don't think the government would let Americans immigrate to Canada that easily though.
(Am willing to marry someone for a citizenship starting at 100K+)
Help me with my down payment.
guurl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2016, 02:27 PM   #8846

Just imagine our house prices if you actually had a influx on Americans...
Old 11-09-2016, 04:19 PM   #8847
Willing to sell body for a few minutes on RS

Thanked 3,060 Times in 1,180 Posts
The average American cannot afford Vancouver real estate prices.
Honest to fucking Christ the easiest way to get a married woman in the mood is clean the house and do the laundry.....I've been with the same girl almost 17 years, ask me how I know. - quasi
Gumby is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 11-09-2016, 04:31 PM   #8848
Need my Daily Fix of RS

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gumby View Post
The average American cannot afford Vancouver real estate prices.
But they can afford houses in Manitoba and Saskatchewan .... lol

Last edited by Urrtoast; 11-09-2016 at 08:33 PM. Reason: Spelling
Urrtoast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2016, 05:03 PM   #8849

Quote:
Originally Posted by Urrtoast View Post
But the can afford houses in Manitoba and Saskatchewan .... lol
And most Trump supporters will fit right in
This post thanked by:
Old 11-10-2016, 12:43 AM   #8850
I keep RS good

Thanked 5,539 Times in 1,502 Posts
Quote:
Well, Immigration Canada's website crashed last night. People theorize the crash was due to too many people accessing the website, most likely Murican's that want to move up here.
fuck that, i don't want those extremist liberal SJW americans moving up here. fuck them. they can stay put.

that and all the extremist liberals are poor, so they couldn't even afford canada lol.
Ulic Qel-Droma is offline   Reply With Quote