REVscene - Vancouver Automotive Forum

Welcome to the REVscene Automotive Forum forums.

Registration is Free!You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today! The banners on the left side and below do not show for registered users!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   REVscene Automotive Forum > Automotive Chat > Vancouver Off-Topic / Current Events

Vancouver Off-Topic / Current Events The off-topic forum for Vancouver, funnies, non-auto centered discussions, WORK SAFE. While the rules are more relaxed here, there are still rules. Please refer to sticky thread in this forum.

Old 06-11-2022, 10:02 AM   #22551
RS has made me the bitter person i am today!

Thanked 2,463 Times in 1,127 Posts
Also, what is your timeline for owning this home? If you're looking to only live in the home for 2-3 years before trading up/trade down, then variable can still make sense because of the difference in the penalty to break your mortgage.
Advertisement
Tapioca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2022, 11:45 AM   #22552

Thanked 2,422 Times in 918 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by westopher View Post
1000/month + all the added extra costs lately with food and transportation basically means I give up saving for retirement and bank on the world ending. Seems like a safe bet anyways, but I’d rather spend that 1k a month on car parts if that’s the angle I’m taking.
Man, that extra $1,000 towards hobbies, food, activities is like a night and day lifestyle.

Just curious how much does everyone else need to save to feel financially secure mentally for the future. I've been thinking about how the world doesn't seem that gloomy in 2050+ that maybe retirement isn't even worth saving for lol.

2022 Velo N
2005 S2000
2007 CSX Type-S [Sold]
2002 RSX-S [T-Boned]
Gerbs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2022, 12:10 PM   #22553
I have named my kids VIC and VLS

Thanked 14,365 Times in 5,658 Posts
A home paid off with 2 mill in the bank?

The way things are going I think it’s going to be far more comfortable to rent out my home and retire somewhere else. Especially if I want to retire before 65
Old 06-11-2022, 12:15 PM   #22554
Willing to sell body for a few minutes on RS

Thanked 3,731 Times in 1,322 Posts
Not directly real estate related but how do you guys who work for others plan to handle inflation when it comes to salary/contract negotiations?

I have negotiations in October, I'm under market been that way for a while and haven't been that pushy about it because I really like my situation and the company I work for. This year I plan on going quite aggressive, I'm asking for 20% expecting to settle somewhere between 10-15%, anything less as much as I love working here I'll probably have to start looking elsewhere. To replace me is going to cost them 25% plus all the training easy if they can even find someone.

To put it in perspective last month I was offered a job that paid 50% more but it involved moving to work for a GC which isn't really what I want to do, more hours and responsibility for sure. I can stay in same line of work and get 30% more pretty easily if I leave but I'll be starting at the bottom again, this place is so lax and they know what I can do and just leave me alone.

“The world ain't all sunshine and rainbows. It's a very mean and nasty place... and I donīt care how tough you are, it will beat you to your knees and keep you there permanently, if you let it. You, me or nobody, is gonna hit as hard as life. But ain't about how hard you hit... It's about how hard you can get hit, and keep moving forward... how much you can take, and keep moving forward. Thatīs how winning is done. Now, if you know what you worth, go out and get what you worth.” - Rocky Balboa
quasi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2022, 12:48 PM   #22555
I contribute to threads in the offtopic forum

Thanked 2,171 Times in 961 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by quasi View Post
Not directly real estate related but how do you guys who work for others plan to handle inflation when it comes to salary/contract negotiations?

I have negotiations in October, I'm under market been that way for a while and haven't been that pushy about it because I really like my situation and the company I work for. This year I plan on going quite aggressive, I'm asking for 20% expecting to settle somewhere between 10-15%, anything less as much as I love working here I'll probably have to start looking elsewhere. To replace me is going to cost them 25% plus all the training easy if they can even find someone.

To put it in perspective last month I was offered a job that paid 50% more but it involved moving to work for a GC which isn't really what I want to do, more hours and responsibility for sure. I can stay in same line of work and get 30% more pretty easily if I leave but I'll be starting at the bottom again, this place is so lax and they know what I can do and just leave me alone.
I sit on both sides as I'm middle management (tech) and in my opinion (and those of management) inflation is baked into the salary bands that we have which are primary built of market data so when people saying "inflation" it doesn't hold much water. Market rate is what we pay and if market rate went up, we go up. If it stays down, we stay down. Some years this works out great for people, other years not so much (this was a not so much year).

I'd negotiate on the basis of what else you can get on the market, not on the basis that inflation is up as their argument is going to be that they also have to deal with inflation (or like us, it's baked into the salaries we pay).

Something along the lines of: "I've done the research and even talked to a few other companies and I think a fair rate for me is XXX. Here's my examples of people in my role in similar companies and here are opportunities that are a bit different but which pay XX more. I'd honestly rather stay b/c of X, Y, and Z but the gap is pretty big right now...."
This post thanked by:
Old 06-11-2022, 12:55 PM   #22556

Quote:
Originally Posted by supafamous View Post
I sit on both sides as I'm middle management (tech) and in my opinion (and those of management) inflation is baked into the salary bands that we have which are primary built of market data so when people saying "inflation" it doesn't hold much water. Market rate is what we pay and if market rate went up, we go up. If it stays down, we stay down. Some years this works out great for people, other years not so much (this was a not so much year).

I'd negotiate on the basis of what else you can get on the market, not on the basis that inflation is up as their argument is going to be that they also have to deal with inflation (or like us, it's baked into the salaries we pay).

Something along the lines of: "I've done the research and even talked to a few other companies and I think a fair rate for me is XXX. Here's my examples of people in my role in similar companies and here are opportunities that are a bit different but which pay XX more. I'd honestly rather stay b/c of X, Y, and Z but the gap is pretty big right now...."
That's fair except they always try and use inflation to determine my raises. I have a log of 25 opportunities that were/are available this year that all pay closer to the market value I'm describing, I know for me it's a bit different because I'm under market.

Like I said I never really had a problem with that before because I have a stupid amount of freedom, I determine what I want to work on, I determine when I want to work and where I want to work from. They give me superflexibilty and that has value for sure, that said there aren't many people that do what I do in this market (niche job) that can do it at the level I do it at with my experience and contacts, I know because we've spent years looking for them.

“The world ain't all sunshine and rainbows. It's a very mean and nasty place... and I donīt care how tough you are, it will beat you to your knees and keep you there permanently, if you let it. You, me or nobody, is gonna hit as hard as life. But ain't about how hard you hit... It's about how hard you can get hit, and keep moving forward... how much you can take, and keep moving forward. Thatīs how winning is done. Now, if you know what you worth, go out and get what you worth.” - Rocky Balboa
Old 06-11-2022, 12:57 PM   #22557

Quote:

Depends on your industry, it's generally well known to always get inflation at a minimum and if that's not doable then you have to find another job asap. At least when you threaten to leave with an offer, you have a possibility of getting to match and beat the exiting offer. This assumes that making money is a priority though. There are times where you may not get a decent raise but your current work is so chill where you might not want to leave a job paying you for < 20 hours of work.

Depends where you are at money wise though 30% for more work might not be worth it if what your current making is more than enough for your lifestyle. At some point you have to chase WLB over money.

I did raises this year for most departments and if you're not a key employee. You're likely not going to have much negotiation and we are not surprised if you leave, it's a calculated gamble

Quote:
That's fair except they always try and use inflation to determine my raises. I have a log of 25 opportunities that were/are available this year that all pay closer to the market value I'm describing, I know for me it's a bit different because I'm under market.
If inflation is 8% and I'm given 8%, I don't really see that as a raise because I'm not making more money. It's just to keep me up with inflation and in most cases in line with the salary band for that role. What do you do?

2022 Velo N
2005 S2000
2007 CSX Type-S [Sold]
2002 RSX-S [T-Boned]
This post thanked by:
Old 06-11-2022, 01:01 PM   #22558
Need to Seek Professional Help

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gerbs View Post
Man, that extra $1,000 towards hobbies, food, activities is like a night and day lifestyle.

Just curious how much does everyone else need to save to feel financially secure mentally for the future. I've been thinking about how the world doesn't seem that gloomy in 2050+ that maybe retirement isn't even worth saving for lol.
Hard to say where inflation will be in 30 years but if I was retiring today the most important thing would be a fully paid off home (or close to being fully paid off). It would be a disaster to retire and have to pay market rents (2500+ for a 1bd condo for instance) indefinitely for the next 20+ years. Then to cover basics, I think a couple could live comfortably off of a cash flow of 30k a year (assuming no other debts). At a 5% dividend rate, I would need a min of 600k in my portfolio to be able to have that income without drawing down on my principal. Vacations/toys would be obviously be on top of that.
Alpine is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 06-11-2022, 01:04 PM   #22559

Quote:
Depends on your industry, it's generally well known to always get inflation at a minimum and if that's not doable then you have to find another job asap. At least when you threaten to leave with an offer, you have a possibility of getting to match and beat the exiting offer. This assumes that making money is a priority though. There are times where you may not get a decent raise but your current work is so chill where you might not want to leave a job paying you for < 20 hours of work.

Depends where you are at money wise though 30% for more work might not be worth it if what your current making is more than enough for your lifestyle. At some point you have to chase WLB over money.

I did raises this year for most departments and if you're not a key employee. You're likely not going to have much negotiation and we are not surprised if you leave, it's a calculated gamble

If inflation is 8% and I'm given 8%, I don't really see that as a raise because I'm not making more money. It's just to keep me up with inflation and in most cases in line with the salary band for that role. What do you do?

I'm a commercial construction estimator but I specialize in large infrastructure like the new Hospitals you're seeing going up from design build phase helping with design and value engineering all the way down to construction ending at substantial completion.

I know I could find a job very quickly if I wanted to that's not the issue. I'm also one of those guys who isn't going to give you an opportunity to match if I feel you tried to play hardball, if I choose to leave you already blew it my decision has been made so you either give me what I want or not, no hard feelings good luck to you. I always try and be fair, reasonable and backup the reasons I think I deserve what I deserve.

This post thanked by:
Old 06-11-2022, 01:06 PM   #22560
I answer every Emotion with an emoticon

Thanked 1,764 Times in 906 Posts
Man double digit raises I wish. Work for the Government in an exempt role, raises based on performance I think I've maxed out every year it's like 5% depending on the year

GREG ADAMS!! GREG ADAMS!!"
winson604 is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 06-11-2022, 01:10 PM   #22561

Quote:
Originally Posted by winson604 View Post
Man double digit raises I wish. Work for the Government in an exempt role, raises based on performance I think I've maxed out every year it's like 5% depending on the year
My wife manages a team of just under 150 in a Govt. role, her salary is under 80K...........figure that out. lol She could go into the private sector and double her salary but she's content with her wage and pension right now....

Old 06-11-2022, 01:16 PM   #22562

Quote:
My wife manages a team of just under 150 in a Govt. role, her salary is under 80K...........figure that out. lol She could go into the private sector and double her salary but she's content with her wage and pension right now....
Wow, I was looking at City of Van / Ministry of Finance jobs and even Financial Analyst Roles were offering $82 - 100K pay bands, think they were only asking 3 years of experience. + sweet pension.

2022 Velo N
2005 S2000
2007 CSX Type-S [Sold]
2002 RSX-S [T-Boned]
This post thanked by:
Old 06-11-2022, 01:24 PM   #22563

Thanked 7,759 Times in 2,313 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by winson604 View Post
Yeah its easy to look at this year when people are getting 10-15% increases and feel you are being left out, but your neglecting how for the past 6-10 years depending on industry most private employers haven't been giving any raises...

I could just as easily say to you "must be nice to work for an employer who never has to worry about where the budget is coming from, or running out of money" or "must be nice to never have to worry about your job security" or "Must be nice to have a pension".

You all immediately forget the struggles of the past decade, and just focus on one singular moment in time, and then get pangs of jealousy. Dont do that.

Barney Fucking Purple FX35
Brianna - 2008 FX35 - Build Thread
meme405 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2022, 02:09 PM   #22564

Quote:
Originally Posted by meme405 View Post
Yeah its easy to look at this year when people are getting 10-15% increases and feel you are being left out, but your neglecting how for the past 6-10 years depending on industry most private employers haven't been giving any raises...
Management celebrates record profits in 2020 / 2021 but didn't realized sales didn't move much except inflation. Record profits were from cutting payroll expenses + no raises for 2 years except for upper management. We didn't really do better, we just underpaid our staff.

To say sorry, we back-date the 5-10% of raises that would've been fine in 2020 / 2021 but we still save 2 years worth of raises.

2022 Velo N
2005 S2000
2007 CSX Type-S [Sold]
2002 RSX-S [T-Boned]
This post thanked by:
Old 06-11-2022, 02:36 PM   #22565
in the butt

Thanked 3,223 Times in 1,185 Posts
Alright so who is making the jobs and employment discussion thread

Originally Posted by ilovebacon
Does anyone have a pair of 25 pounds one-inch hole for sale at a reasonable price?
donk. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2022, 02:47 PM   #22566
I answer every Emotion with an emoticon

Thanked 1,764 Times in 906 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by meme405 View Post

I could just as easily say to you "must be nice to work for an employer who never has to worry about where the budget is coming from, or running out of money" or "must be nice to never have to worry about your job security" or "Must be nice to have a pension".

You all immediately forget the struggles of the past decade, and just focus on one singular moment in time, and then get pangs of jealousy. Dont do that.
For sure, the post wasn't about being jealous though it may have come off that way. The reasons you pointed out is why I've been at my job for 13 years with no thought of leaving probably ever. That being said I'm the don't like to rock the boat type. Could I quit and find a managment job in the private industry and make more? Yes, but no thanks. We joke at work about the trifecta which is if you get married, have kids, and have a mortgage we got you trapped and you'll never leave.

GREG ADAMS!! GREG ADAMS!!"
winson604 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2022, 02:59 PM   #22567
I have named my kids VIC and VLS

Thanked 14,365 Times in 5,658 Posts
Where I work we gained substantial value over Covid, all time record highs, subscribers, profit, etc. virtually ever metric across the board in terms of a public company

We are also in collective bargaining right now.. and what’s coming out of that is that wages trying to be held where they are, but clawed back with roles eliminated etc.

Funny how those emails about thanking the bottom end people who made those profits possible stopped showing up once that came out. Pretty gross
Old 06-12-2022, 09:21 AM   #22568
Rs has made me the man i am today!

Quote:
But if they quit wouldn't you have to hire new now at 20-30% more than their previous salary? Plus the downtime and costs in training ..
waddy41 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2022, 11:09 AM   #22569
Revscene.net has a homepage?!

Quote:
Originally Posted by waddy41 View Post
But if they quit wouldn't you have to hire new now at 20-30% more than their previous salary? Plus the downtime and costs in training ..

Nope, staffing leaves I would hire one at 20-30% less than the previous staff.

The downtime and cost of training are part of doing business.
Wormiez is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 06-12-2022, 12:18 PM   #22570

Thanked 31,169 Times in 7,158 Posts
If the staff coming in are making 30% less than current, either your current staff is being paid fairly and you won’t likely have to worry about them leaving, or you won’t need to worry about hiring and training because no one will be interested in the job.
Westopher is correct.
Quote:
Originally Posted by fsy82 View Post
seems like you got a dick up your ass well..get that checked
Quote:
Originally Posted by punkwax View Post
Well.. I’d hate to be the first to say it, but Westopher is correct.
westopher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2022, 02:16 PM   #22571

Quote:
Originally Posted by donk. View Post
Alright so who is making the jobs and employment discussion thread
Jobs and Real estate thread goes hand in hand imo. The forum nowadays is too dead to separate them.

If we don't talk about how to make money, how else are we going to drop $120K - 1Mill in down payment for these houses? We also gotta fill them with M3 daily's & Track cars.

2022 Velo N
2005 S2000
2007 CSX Type-S [Sold]
2002 RSX-S [T-Boned]
This post thanked by:
Old 06-12-2022, 02:18 PM   #22572

Quote:
Originally Posted by waddy41 View Post
Some yes, some no. I'd say 20% of the workforce is worth overpaying. The other 80% is pretty expendable and easily replaceable. If your role makes the organizations life easier or helps meet company objectives, we much rather overpay and have you stay because if you help management hit company objectives. We get that sweet bonus payout.

2022 Velo N
2005 S2000
2007 CSX Type-S [Sold]
2002 RSX-S [T-Boned]
This post thanked by:
Old 06-12-2022, 02:22 PM   #22573
in the butt

Thanked 3,223 Times in 1,185 Posts
Quote:
We also gotta fill them with M3 daily's & Track cars.
Don't have either

This post is a hoax

Originally Posted by ilovebacon
Does anyone have a pair of 25 pounds one-inch hole for sale at a reasonable price?
donk. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2022, 02:27 PM   #22574

Quote:
Originally Posted by donk. View Post
Don't have either

This post is a hoax
We got the Walmart $20K equivalent of a $200K 718 Spyder

2022 Velo N
2005 S2000
2007 CSX Type-S [Sold]
2002 RSX-S [T-Boned]
Old 06-12-2022, 03:53 PM   #22575
I told him no, what y'all do?

Thanked 5,823 Times in 2,507 Posts
my firm underpays compared to the industry forsure, but we have an great workplace culture and outstanding work/life balance. i think they know this is the case and if someone wants to make 10-30% more elsewhere but roll the dice on office culture and workload - they're willing to. i think a part of it is that it's not easy for them to arbitrarily increase salaries, fairly big company.

i know if i get back in to private i can make a killing but i'll but doing a lot more hours, then if you break it down to hourly rate, i'm not sure how much more ahead i am.

i agree it's frustrating losing talented/experienced staff with new staff you need to train whom may not be as experienced, but i think that decision is sometimes made by a diff dept (i.e. HR) and the actual dept has to live with the decision.

Quote:
Greenstoner
1 rat shit ruins the whole congee
originalhypa
You cannot live the life of a whore and expect a monument to your chastity
Quote:
[22-12, 08:51]mellomandidnt think and went in straight..scrapped like a bitch
[17-09, 12:07]FastAnna glowjob
[17-09, 12:08]FastAnna I like dat

GLOW is offline   Reply With Quote