REVscene - Vancouver Automotive Forum

Welcome to the REVscene Automotive Forum forums.

Registration is Free!You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today! The banners on the left side and below do not show for registered users!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   REVscene Automotive Forum > Automotive Chat > Vancouver Off-Topic / Current Events

Vancouver Off-Topic / Current Events The off-topic forum for Vancouver, funnies, non-auto centered discussions, WORK SAFE. While the rules are more relaxed here, there are still rules. Please refer to sticky thread in this forum.

Old 10-27-2022, 09:45 AM   #23801
Pull Out Towing. Women rescued for free.

Thanked 2,414 Times in 1,283 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Great68 View Post
I think this was that other real estate thread from earlier 2012

https://www.revscene.net/forums/6702...slowing-5.html
There should be at least 1 if not 2 threads pre 2012.
One would have been started in pre-2008 financial crisis. Speculation was the 2010 Olympics driving up housing prices.

But yeah, very interesting re-reading these threads and seeing what predictions was right and what prediction was wrong.
Advertisement
Quote:
Originally Posted by tofu1413 View Post
and icing on the cake, lady driving a newer chrysler 200 infront of me... jumped out of her car, dropped her pants, did an immediate squat and did probably the longest public relief ever...... steam and all.

(11-0-0) Buy/Sell rating
Christine
Shitvic
Pull Out Towing
SumAznGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2022, 10:23 AM   #23802
Willing to sell body for a few minutes on RS

Thanked 4,855 Times in 1,785 Posts
This old thread from 2010 is a funny blast to the past, with hypa and taylor192 going at it. With an appearance from 4444:

https://www.revscene.net/forums/6039...vancouver.html

I remember the threads around 2008 but it looks like Revscene's database doesn't go back that far.
2014 F150 5.0L XTR 4x4

A vehicle for all occasions
Great68 is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 10-27-2022, 11:25 AM   #23803
I answer every Emotion with an emoticon

Thanked 8,842 Times in 3,189 Posts
wtf happen to Hypa!? miss that dude.
Badhobz is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2022, 11:36 AM   #23804
Hypa owned my ass at least once

Thanked 6,318 Times in 2,520 Posts
I miss 4444. His insights on the housing market -- esp in relation to his work as a property manager -- were fantastic.
Traum is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 10-27-2022, 11:51 AM   #23805
Performance Moderator

Thanked 15,637 Times in 5,186 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Badhobz View Post
wtf happen to Hypa!? miss that dude.
I bought my EK Civic from him that I k-swapped... he was restoring a Beaumont at the time I think... he's still around, he's mostly focused on his family and skiing stuff. Great guy.
68style is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2022, 12:28 PM   #23806

Quote:
Originally Posted by Traum View Post
I miss 4444. His insights on the housing market -- esp in relation to his work as a property manager -- were fantastic.
No, I think you are thinking of Gridlock and Dinosaur.
4444 was a finance guy. Re-reading some of his comments, he wasn't wrong per se about fundamentals, but the world has really changed.
Quote:
and icing on the cake, lady driving a newer chrysler 200 infront of me... jumped out of her car, dropped her pants, did an immediate squat and did probably the longest public relief ever...... steam and all.

(11-0-0) Buy/Sell rating
Christine
Shitvic
Pull Out Towing
This post thanked by:
Old 10-27-2022, 12:38 PM   #23807

Thanked 31,205 Times in 7,177 Posts
That’s the thing about 4444. Objectively, he should have been right. The housing market being Wall Street made him wrong. In modern capitalism money isn’t actually functioning as it should based on the actual goal of capitalism. As long as massive corporations get tax funded bailouts it’s capitalism for the poor and communism for the rich.
Westopher is correct.
Quote:
Originally Posted by fsy82 View Post
seems like you got a dick up your ass well..get that checked
Quote:
Originally Posted by punkwax View Post
Well.. I’d hate to be the first to say it, but Westopher is correct.
westopher is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 10-27-2022, 12:39 PM   #23808
RS has made me the bitter person i am today!

Thanked 2,427 Times in 921 Posts
Dinosaur is active on reddit now lol

2022 Velo N
2005 S2000
2007 CSX Type-S [Sold]
2002 RSX-S [T-Boned]
Gerbs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2022, 12:41 PM   #23809
RS.net, helping ugly ppl have sex since 2001

Thanked 7,233 Times in 2,428 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by SumAznGuy View Post
No, I think you are thinking of Gridlock and Dinosaur.
4444 was a finance guy. Re-reading some of his comments, he wasn't wrong per se about fundamentals, but the world has really changed.
The key fundamental that changed from 10 years ago was rent prices relative to housing prices was much lower back then. That in conjunction with a possible drop in the housing market did make sense back then.

However over the years rent prices went way up and housing never really dropped significantly, which made rent+invest a less effective strategy than putting it into a down payment and paying a mortgage.

Would be interesting to do a historical calculation of rent + invest in sp500 vs Vancouver housing prices and see which ends up on top.
2010 Toyota Rav4 Limited V6 - Wifey's Daily Driver
2009 BMW 128i - Daily Driver
2007 Toyota Rav4 Sport V6 - Sold
1999 Mazda Miata - Sold
2003 Mazda Protege5 - Sold
1987 BMW 325is - Sold
1990 Mazda Miata - Sold

100% Buy and Sell Feedback
sonick is online now   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 10-27-2022, 01:03 PM   #23810

Quote:
Originally Posted by sonick View Post
The key fundamental that changed from 10 years ago was rent prices relative to housing prices was much lower back then. That in conjunction with a possible drop in the housing market did make sense back then.

However over the years rent prices went way up and housing never really dropped significantly, which made rent+invest a less effective strategy than putting it into a down payment and paying a mortgage.
There's 2 ppl that posted comments that struck a cord with me.
One person, who is still active on RS talked about how great it was to rent etc... ended buying a house.

Second person was 4444 and the comment about what LL doesn't want a business professional who gives them 12 post-dated cheques in advance.

Curious if he is still paying 2012 rental prices (+2% year rent increases of course) or did he change his tune and buy a place in VAN.
Quote:

(11-0-0) Buy/Sell rating
Christine
Shitvic
Pull Out Towing
Old 10-27-2022, 01:06 PM   #23811

Quote:
Originally Posted by westopher View Post
That’s the thing about 4444. Objectively, he should have been right. The housing market being Wall Street made him wrong. In modern capitalism money isn’t actually functioning as it should based on the actual goal of capitalism. As long as massive corporations get tax funded bailouts it’s capitalism for the poor and communism for the rich.
There's him and Taylor192 IIRC. Both had similar views on the housing market.

I went as far back as RS would let me and took a quick look at some of the threads from RS Off Topic chat 2009 and there were some interesting threads.

It's like history likes to repeat it self.
Quote:

(11-0-0) Buy/Sell rating
Christine
Shitvic
Pull Out Towing
This post thanked by:
Old 10-27-2022, 01:14 PM   #23812
Revscene.net has a homepage?!

Capitalism to the max with Blackrock, Ontario Teachers Association, and many other large investment groups currently buying up many of the detached houses in Vancouver...
Wormiez is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 10-27-2022, 01:17 PM   #23813
I contribute to threads in the offtopic forum

Thanked 2,188 Times in 969 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by SumAznGuy View Post
Can anyone offer a tl;dr of his argument from 10 years ago about the state of real estate? At the time I remember lots of talk around how the fundamentals will eventually turn the tide and that's what I went along with but today it seems we grossly underestimated how deep the supply challenges (and they are huge) and how our language should be around affordability rather than the price itself. It seemed that back then no one talked about the crisis in supply at all.
Old 10-27-2022, 01:24 PM   #23814

Quote:
Originally Posted by supafamous View Post
Can anyone offer a tl;dr of his argument from 10 years ago about the state of real estate? At the time I remember lots of talk around how the fundamentals will eventually turn the tide and that's what I went along with but today it seems we grossly underestimated how deep the supply challenges (and they are huge) and how our language should be around affordability rather than the price itself. It seemed that back then no one talked about the crisis in supply at all.
Don't quote me as I am old and my memory isn't quite there.

4444 talked about the fundamentals. Don't let the mountains, green grass and clean air fool you about how desirable VAN.
Financial fundamentals is the key. Local economy etc is what drives housing prices.

He rented locally but with his work, had access to cheap money to buy in the US to be a LL.

I know there is more but that's the jist of it.
Quote:

(11-0-0) Buy/Sell rating
Christine
Shitvic
Pull Out Towing
Old 10-27-2022, 01:54 PM   #23815

The main thing he used to say, which I’m dumbing down, is that for housing to cost x amount, y people need to live there on z wages. That was also before anyone who had money didn’t actually work like the world is today. People who were doctors, lawyers, etc were still rich whether they were given money by their factory owner parents or not.
Westopher is correct.
Quote:
Quote:
Old 10-27-2022, 02:33 PM   #23816
RS.net, helping ugly ppl have sex since 2001

Thanked 3,508 Times in 1,165 Posts
Anyone here familiar with water utility bills for City of Vancouver?

We are in the middle of the process of getting a laneway home built. Building permit was recently issued.

But prior to that, some time in the middle of the year, CoV installed a water meter in relation to the laneway house. Now the primary home is getting billed with water, but haven't broken ground yet for the laneway house.

I thought water utility commences when a new build is complete?
Quote:
Originally Posted by RX_Renesis View Post
wtf did she get some bolt-on titties or what?
they look sooooooooooo much bigger than they were 2ish years ago.
Quote:
Originally Posted by nns View Post
I can't stand the sound of Mandarin either. Boo yow nee bey nee shing bo now noong gey shee mayo mayo mayo mayo mayo mayo mayo.
TypeRNammer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2022, 11:57 AM   #23817
RS has made me the bitter person i am today!

Thanked 2,908 Times in 755 Posts
Acura604 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2022, 12:22 PM   #23818

Hmm 2008 rates for an inflated real estate market. What happened again in 2008? Oh yeah the income inequality gap widened and has never gonna back to previous levels. Maybe this time it will all work.
Westopher is correct.
Quote:
Quote:
Old 10-28-2022, 01:44 PM   #23819
I contribute to threads in the offtopic forum

Thanked 1,607 Times in 547 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hondaracer View Post
Buying a SFH when this thread started would have been the best investment you ever made
Too bad the majority of RS was still in highschool or post-secondary at the time. Or a bunch of graduating students with no jobs due to the 08 recession. Damn we all old now.
snowball is online now   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 10-28-2022, 02:32 PM   #23820

Thanked 4,855 Times in 1,785 Posts
I thought most of us here are pushing our 40's by now...
2014 F150 5.0L XTR 4x4

A vehicle for all occasions
Great68 is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 10-28-2022, 03:04 PM   #23821
My homepage has been set to RS

Thanked 2,770 Times in 709 Posts
Is income inequality just a function of time, so the more time passes, the bigger the gap gets? Is that just due to lack of financial education/awareness?

For example, I grew up thinking everyone owned their own home. It wasn't until like college I came to understand that some of my friends parents were renting? That blew my mind. Imagine being in the 80's and renting and not buying a house... That one mistake has set back their childs financial level forever.

Imagine not inheriting a house from your parents. How would your children or their children ever afford to live in this city?

I was talking to this girl today who said she was third generation Canadian and she and her family were renting. It really makes me question why they don't have at least two or three properties. I would think that every generation is just passing down wealth and all you have to do is maintain it. Which makes me realize how important it is to educate my kids about personal finance and wealth.
PeanutButter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2022, 03:17 PM   #23822
in the butt

Thanked 3,259 Times in 1,193 Posts
Most people don't want to own a home. They would rather spend 60$ three times a week going out with their friends for dinner, buying smokes, and shit off amazon they don't need.

Then when they hit 40, and they go to a birthday party, everyone around them has some form of investment. They either bitch and whine that you got lucky, or that they are happy renting.

If you want to own a property, you can, even on 50k/year salary. You just need to make some massive sacrifices for 5-10 years, and buy a dump for 300k in Abbotsford to start
donk. is online now   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 10-28-2022, 03:24 PM   #23823
Hypa owned my ass at least once

Thanked 6,318 Times in 2,520 Posts
Based on my own observations, building up and passing down that generational wealth is definitely not a universal concept. It is more prevalent in certain cultures -- Chinese culture certainly encourages it, as is Italian and Greek cultures.

And then there is affordability itself. For parents raising families in the 70's and 80's, cost of living and housing affordability were not major issues. In fact, with the high interest rates in the 80's, it might have been a more prudent thing to rent instead of buy.

Of course, wealthy families -- and I'm talking about the 1 and 2-percenters here -- they have always known the importance of intergenerational wealth.
Quote:
Originally Posted by PeanutButter View Post
I was talking to this girl today who said she was third generation Canadian and she and her family were renting. It really makes me question why they don't have at least two or three properties. I would think that every generation is just passing down wealth and all you have to do is maintain it. Which makes me realize how important it is to educate my kids about personal finance and wealth.
Traum is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 10-28-2022, 03:26 PM   #23824
I *heart* Revscene.net very Muchie

Thanked 3,256 Times in 1,229 Posts
lol who's buying anything with a 50k salary? How are you saving for the down payment while paying rent and other expenses?
MarkyMark is online now   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 10-28-2022, 04:04 PM   #23825
My homepage has been set to RS

Thanked 2,770 Times in 709 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by MarkyMark View Post
lol who's buying anything with a 50k salary? How are you saving for the down payment while paying rent and other expenses?
he said $300k condo in abbotsford...

So 5% down ~$15k down payment and $2k monthly payment for mortgage/insurnace/maintenance

Doable.
PeanutButter is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by: