REVscene - Vancouver Automotive Forum

Welcome to the REVscene Automotive Forum forums.

Registration is Free!You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today! The banners on the left side and below do not show for registered users!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   REVscene Automotive Forum > Automotive Chat > Vancouver Off-Topic / Current Events

Vancouver Off-Topic / Current Events The off-topic forum for Vancouver, funnies, non-auto centered discussions, WORK SAFE. While the rules are more relaxed here, there are still rules. Please refer to sticky thread in this forum.

Old 11-11-2022, 07:53 AM   #23976
I have named my kids VIC and VLS

Thanked 14,423 Times in 5,685 Posts
I think you vastly underestimate builders elsewhere building without endless issues etc.

Almost the entire US west coast is infinitely easier than Vancouver, which is a big reason leaky condos were even a thing
Advertisement

Last edited by Hondaracer; 11-11-2022 at 08:01 AM.
Hondaracer is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2022, 08:07 AM   #23977
Willing to sell body for a few minutes on RS

Thanked 31,212 Times in 7,179 Posts
Oh I believe there are terrible builders everywhere. Like, at least we aren’t Florida with buildings collapsing for no reason and killing hundreds of people, but there needs to either be some accountability or some clarity at least about the shelf life of some of these places here. I’m sure if the inspections and laws were more lax here half of westbanks condo buildings would have fallen by now.
It’s funny. I often ask staff if they know how old the building is that we operate out of. Usually the guess is between 70-100 years. I love the look on their face when I tell them it’s 2009
Westopher is correct.
Quote:
Originally Posted by fsy82 View Post
seems like you got a dick up your ass well..get that checked
Quote:
Originally Posted by punkwax View Post
Well.. I’d hate to be the first to say it, but Westopher is correct.
westopher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2022, 08:45 AM   #23978
To me, there is the Internet and there is RS

Thanked 8,970 Times in 3,898 Posts
-10 to +40 isn't that wild of a swing lol, I doubt there's anything about the Vancouver climate that's unique.
1992 Toyota Celica GT-S ["sold"] \\ 2007 Jeep Grand Cherokee CRD [sold] \\ 2000 Jeep Cherokee [sold] \\ 1997 Honda Prelude [sold] \\ 1992 Jeep YJ [sold/crashed] \\ 1987 Mazda RX-7 [sold] \\ 1987 Toyota Celica GT-S [crushed]
Quote:
Originally Posted by maksimizer View Post
half those dudes are hotter than ,my GF.
Quote:
Originally Posted by RevYouUp View Post
reading this thread is like waiting for goku to charge up a spirit bomb in dragon ball z
Quote:
Originally Posted by Good_KarMa View Post
OH thank god. I thought u had sex with my wife. :cry:
underscore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2022, 10:40 AM   #23979

Of course there is.. which is why leaky condos happened.

It’s constantly wet and cold with high humidity and it never dries out. It’s a pretty rare scenario in North America

In the southern states you may have high humidity, but it’s not cold. Etc.

Places like Seattle, Portland, and Vancouver have MUCH different climates than say, Kelowna, when it comes to building science.

That’s not the day window systems etc. should be failing, but most of these systems and windows are tested in a lab. It’s hard to recreate 20+ years of weather
Old 11-11-2022, 01:52 PM   #23980
Need to Seek Professional Help

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hondaracer View Post
Of course there is.. which is why leaky condos happened.

It’s constantly wet and cold with high humidity and it never dries out. It’s a pretty rare scenario in North America

In the southern states you may have high humidity, but it’s not cold. Etc.

Places like Seattle, Portland, and Vancouver have MUCH different climates than say, Kelowna, when it comes to building science.

That’s not the day window systems etc. should be failing, but most of these systems and windows are tested in a lab. It’s hard to recreate 20+ years of weather
This convo sounds a bit like people making fun of people from Vancouver having a hard time driving after it snows due to our unique conditions.
Alpine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2022, 02:34 PM   #23981

That sounds more like lazy build quality. In this day and age it's not exactly complicated to see what is and isn't working in the rest of the world. The entire UK has always been soggy as hell and their temps are around the same.
1992 Toyota Celica GT-S ["sold"] \\ 2007 Jeep Grand Cherokee CRD [sold] \\ 2000 Jeep Cherokee [sold] \\ 1997 Honda Prelude [sold] \\ 1992 Jeep YJ [sold/crashed] \\ 1987 Mazda RX-7 [sold] \\ 1987 Toyota Celica GT-S [crushed]
Quote:
Quote:
reading this thread is like waiting for goku to charge up a spirit bomb in dragon ball z
Quote:
This post thanked by:
Old 11-11-2022, 03:05 PM   #23982
Willing to sell body for a few minutes on RS

Thanked 31,212 Times in 7,179 Posts
They got shit built in the 1600s still standing lol.
Westopher is correct.
Quote:
Originally Posted by fsy82 View Post
seems like you got a dick up your ass well..get that checked
Quote:
Originally Posted by punkwax View Post
Well.. I’d hate to be the first to say it, but Westopher is correct.
westopher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2022, 01:58 AM   #23983

Quote:
Originally Posted by underscore View Post
That sounds more like lazy build quality. In this day and age it's not exactly complicated to see what is and isn't working in the rest of the world. The entire UK has always been soggy as hell and their temps are around the same.
Again.. apples and oranges.

Those buildings from 1600’s aren’t rain screened stucco. They are all brick and concrete.

In England, Outside of London, as far as I remember there are aren’t that many residential high rises around,. And even less so as you get further out into the countryside. Same goes for much of the UK and Ireland.

If it was as easy as you think it is, there wouldn’t be issues. Do you think builders purposely build garbage? Lol.. the 2/5/10 year warantee doesn’t cover deficiencies willingly built by a builder nor will they cover defects from manufacturers. Many of the warantee providers do not accept window systems from China etc. and sure, maybe a builder under a separate LLC will build some cheap garbage, but if they are consistently bad/having huge claims, those builders won’t be able to build because they won’t be able to get new home warantee ecen from the lesser providers.

Last edited by Hondaracer; 11-12-2022 at 02:06 AM.
Hondaracer is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2022, 03:58 AM   #23984
I answer every Emotion with an emoticon

Thanked 8,852 Times in 3,192 Posts
It seems most of these detached residential builders, and specifically Chinese and East Indian ones, do a few projects then close up shop to come back with another llc name to skirt around having to do any repair work. All shady as fuck for houses that are costing millions.

The regulatory bodies that oversee these constructions are skimpy at best and most of these dudes all know these inspectors/approvers personally. It was so blatant that they advertised that to us when we were interviewing builders. Ohhh yah I know the buddy buddy in city hall, we can push your house through in weeks! Ohh yah don’t worry about inspection, we’ve never failed one before because I know all the inspectors, etc etc etc. all this scamy shit scared us off and we rather stick our head in the sand and just buy outright instead of building. The less I know about this shit the better.

Last edited by Badhobz; 11-12-2022 at 07:01 AM.
Badhobz is online now   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 11-12-2022, 06:18 AM   #23985
Where's my RS Christmas Lobster?!

Quote:
I don't know enough to comment about building quality in the UK but it always makes my parents chuckle when people compare London's weather to Vancouver's (they used to live there). They always say the rain here is on a different level.

Data backs it up:
- London (LHR), avg. annual precipitation, 1991-2020: 615.0 mm
- Vancouver (YVR), avg. annual precipitation, 1981-2010: 1,189.0 mm

That's almost double the precipitation over an average year.

True that the temp ranges are around the same, but Vancouver's is shifted a couple degrees colder (YVR avg. low 0.8, 1.4, 1.6 respectively in Dec/Jan/Feb vs. 3.1, 2.7, 2.7 at LHR) which would see Vancouver getting freezing temperatures more often as well.
Old 11-12-2022, 06:27 AM   #23986

Warranty companies know who those builders are, they eventually get black listed by all providers. And even when they get their sons etc. to try and build under them, it doesn’t fly
Old 11-12-2022, 07:13 AM   #23987

Yeah but by then how many people are living in these garbage homes. this shit is everywhere, and it goes even further to say alot of these home "inspectors" are turning a blind eye to shotty workmanship/materials because they know the realtors/builders are going to give them something something to wrap up the deal

Perfect example. Me and the wife had an accepted offer on this house in seafair richmond a while ago. 3500sqft, seems nicely built, and pretty much was perfect for our needs. We picked our own house inspector guy and paid over 1000 bucks to get a drainage tile inspection w/ video. Low and behold the drainage tiles on this brand new house was clogged. We asked the owner/builder for compensation (80k, as they needed to redo the entire drainge tile system and it'll even ruin the brand new paved driveway) but he refused, he rather just sell it to the next chump who wont do a drainage tile inspection and instead just do one of these bullshit home inspections recommended from their realtor.

a few months later, that house was sold no problem to some dumb fob who FOR SURE didnt do a drainage tile inspection. I drive by sometimes and i see so much water pooling on his driveway its not even funny.

yeah we lost 1500 bucks, but im so glad we didnt buy the damn house. It even had some surface corrosion on some of the pipes (leading to the hot water heater) underneath the stairs. I was also worried about water penetration and the membrane of the house being poorly built as richmond is susceptible to flooding more than any other place. For 3.4 million bucks and you only get this kind of trash. its so disheartening.

I actually really liked the house. it had this big gorgeous door

But the craftsmenship was crap. look at this lazy routing of the ac

Last edited by Badhobz; 11-12-2022 at 07:26 AM.
This post thanked by:
Old 11-12-2022, 07:56 AM   #23988

Yea, typical

That house will be in shambles in 15 years after the little to no upkeep it receives on top of the poor build
Old 11-12-2022, 08:13 AM   #23989
Rs has made me the man i am today!

Thanked 2,278 Times in 1,053 Posts
That's one of things that we are happy about in our house.

It's a 30 something yr old house yes, and some of the cosmetic workmanship is a little shoddy, but the overall build quality is good. I have a friend who is in the wood industry and he walked in while we were reno'ing the place. He said, wow, full cedar framing and build, you don't get this kind of material nowadays.

There was no water leakage except a little bit on the upstairs balcony door. I found that they got the fundamentals with the house right, but back in the day they just didn't care about the cosmetic quality as much. Compared to nowadays it seems like they just don't care, make it look good, make it sell, who cares if you come up with 100k of damage in 5 years.
EvoFire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2022, 08:26 AM   #23990
I told him no, what y'all do?

Thanked 5,835 Times in 2,515 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Badhobz View Post

Quote:
Greenstoner
1 rat shit ruins the whole congee
originalhypa
You cannot live the life of a whore and expect a monument to your chastity
Quote:
[22-12, 08:51]mellomandidnt think and went in straight..scrapped like a bitch
[17-09, 12:07]FastAnna glowjob
[17-09, 12:08]FastAnna I like dat

GLOW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2022, 08:28 AM   #23991
Rs has made me the man i am today!

Thanked 2,278 Times in 1,053 Posts
^ That's a great laugh hahahaha
EvoFire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2022, 09:03 AM   #23992

It sure seems like they're intentionally building garbage with how often you hear about companies being formed, building something, and then bouncing.

Quote:
Originally Posted by carsncars View Post
I don't know enough to comment about building quality in the UK but it always makes my parents chuckle when people compare London's weather to Vancouver's (they used to live there). They always say the rain here is on a different level.

Data backs it up:
- London (LHR), avg. annual precipitation, 1991-2020: 615.0 mm
- Vancouver (YVR), avg. annual precipitation, 1981-2010: 1,189.0 mm

That's almost double the precipitation over an average year.

True that the temp ranges are around the same, but Vancouver's is shifted a couple degrees colder (YVR avg. low 0.8, 1.4, 1.6 respectively in Dec/Jan/Feb vs. 3.1, 2.7, 2.7 at LHR) which would see Vancouver getting freezing temperatures more often as well.
UK average precipitation per year: 1,220mm.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/List..._precipitation

My point was a general one. There are cities that get hit by monsoons and hurricanes. There are cities with massively larger temperature swings than the mild range Vancouver has. Even within Vancouver I would assume there are some older buildings that have or haven't had issues to use as a reference point. So I have a very hard time believing that the companies who spec these things couldn't possibly have known ahead of time they weren't the correct choice. The manufacturer must do some kind of product testing when developing them.
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
This post thanked by:
Old 11-12-2022, 10:48 AM   #23993
I *heart* Revscene.net very Muchie

Thanked 4,652 Times in 1,752 Posts
Quote:
It sure seems like they're intentionally building garbage with how often you hear about companies being formed, building something, and then bouncing.

UK average precipitation per year: 1,220mm.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/List..._precipitation

My point was a general one. There are cities that get hit by monsoons and hurricanes. There are cities with massively larger temperature swings than the mild range Vancouver has. Even within Vancouver I would assume there are some older buildings that have or haven't had issues to use as a reference point. So I have a very hard time believing that the companies who spec these things couldn't possibly have known ahead of time they weren't the correct choice. The manufacturer must do some kind of product testing when developing them.
I think you're right on this one.

I doubt it's an issue of ability to build within this climate effectively, but rather, inherent practices and lack of oversight (which has long been an issue in this province).

This kind of shit happens when there are massive construction booms with properties built in an expedited manner.

One has to wonder if we'll have a similar condo scandal in the next decade or so with a lot of these rushed developments popping up over the last number of years.
mikemhg is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 11-12-2022, 10:56 AM   #23994
in the butt

Thanked 3,260 Times in 1,194 Posts
These aren't tofu buildings like China
You think BC regulation for build quality is bad? Go look at Evergrande in China

There's how many different contractors on each condo build?
If one or two contractors mess up, and your windows last 20 years instead of 50, and the roof lasts 8 instead of 16, that's not a big deal

It's part of being a homeowner....
Not everything is going to be perfect, and within specification for x decades

Strata fees are there for a reason

Originally Posted by ilovebacon
Does anyone have a pair of 25 pounds one-inch hole for sale at a reasonable price?
donk. is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 11-12-2022, 11:07 AM   #23995

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikemhg View Post
I think you're right on this one.

I doubt it's an issue of ability to build within this climate effectively, but rather, inherent practices and lack of oversight (which has long been an issue in this province).

This kind of shit happens when there are massive construction booms with properties built in an expedited manner.

One has to wonder if we'll have a similar condo scandal in the next decade or so with a lot of these rushed developments popping up over the last number of years.
Up until recently Alberta

A) did not have a building code

B) did not require new home warranty

They must just be filled with master builders!
Old 11-12-2022, 11:18 AM   #23996
Rs has made me the woman i am today!

Thanked 1,752 Times in 909 Posts
I wonder what happens to countries that needs to often rebuild? Philippines? Mexico? Texas? Japan? Hurricane, tornado, earthquake
JDMDreams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2022, 11:18 AM   #23997

Quote:
Originally Posted by donk. View Post
You think BC regulation for build quality is bad? Go look at Evergrande in China
yeah but why am i comparing it to china? why not compare it to sweden or denmark or germany where the regulations are so fucking tight, you cant get away with any of this shit. This IS the biggest purchase of ones life, and there are 10x more regulations relating to the already ass fucked environment than protecting consumers from these predatory builders/contractors.

The whole industry needs to be overhauled in canada. If some buttfuck politician would purpose this, he/she/it would have my vote.
This post thanked by:
Old 11-12-2022, 12:43 PM   #23998

If everyone just built brick houses with metal roofs there probably wouldn’t be too many problems

But then you get a buddy guy house like badhobz posted where for the price, you sure as hell should be able to afford somewhat respectable finishings and construction, but it seems like even ar that price point a builder can’t make a profit to “do things right” which is pretty fucked up

Seems like to build a top quality house in both construction and finishing you basically have to be building it yourself at a loss
Old 11-12-2022, 01:28 PM   #23999
in the butt

Thanked 3,260 Times in 1,194 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Badhobz View Post
yeah but why am i comparing it to china? why not compare it to sweden or denmark or germany where the regulations are so fucking tight, you cant get away with any of this shit.
They ain't airtight, we just don't hear about it

Because noone in Canada cares to listen on CNN about how some German condo had leaky windows or parkade has structural cracks

Too busy watching Trump talking about grab em by the pussy, and how Musk is a little insecure girl on the inside

Originally Posted by ilovebacon
Does anyone have a pair of 25 pounds one-inch hole for sale at a reasonable price?
donk. is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 11-12-2022, 01:39 PM   #24000

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hondaracer View Post
If everyone just built brick houses with metal roofs there probably wouldn’t be too many problems

But then you get a buddy guy house like badhobz posted where for the price, you sure as hell should be able to afford somewhat respectable finishings and construction, but it seems like even ar that price point a builder can’t make a profit to “do things right” which is pretty fucked up

Seems like to build a top quality house in both construction and finishing you basically have to be building it yourself at a loss
buddy guy bought this land for 1.7 million bucks. i figure at his shitty work, he was in for less than a million into the 3500sqft, lets say 800k. . soo roughly all in at 2.5 and selling for 3.4mil.

He wouldn't even fucking budge on price, we gave him 3.2 and he accepted. this shit brick pockets ~700k and leaves the new owner another 100k-300k worth of problems within 3-5 years. while shutting down durka durka construction inc and restarting it burka burka construction inc next year.

what a shit show industry.
This post thanked by: