REVscene - Vancouver Automotive Forum

Welcome to the REVscene Automotive Forum forums.

Registration is Free!You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today! The banners on the left side and below do not show for registered users!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   REVscene Automotive Forum > Automotive Chat > Vancouver Off-Topic / Current Events

Vancouver Off-Topic / Current Events The off-topic forum for Vancouver, funnies, non-auto centered discussions, WORK SAFE. While the rules are more relaxed here, there are still rules. Please refer to sticky thread in this forum.

Old 05-09-2016, 11:36 AM   #6076
Pull Out Towing. Women rescued for free.

Thanked 2,414 Times in 1,283 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tapioca View Post
In the appraisal community, 99-year prepaid leasehold is equivalent to an equivalent freehold property in value. If you're buying brand new leasehold, you might be able to find out buyer in 3-5 years time as the spread and desirability between the two properties is small.
Keep in mind, Banks will not let you borrow against lease hold properties.
That means you would have to take out a line of credit, which is usually higher % interest rate to use as a down payment on the new place instead of borrowing against your equity as a down payment.
Advertisement
Quote:
Originally Posted by tofu1413 View Post
and icing on the cake, lady driving a newer chrysler 200 infront of me... jumped out of her car, dropped her pants, did an immediate squat and did probably the longest public relief ever...... steam and all.

(11-0-0) Buy/Sell rating
Christine
Shitvic
Pull Out Towing
SumAznGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 05-09-2016, 11:48 AM   #6077
RS has made me the bitter person i am today!

Thanked 2,751 Times in 1,182 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by originalhypa View Post
Good luck with southridge.
Not only do you need the ability to pay the tuition, but you also have to fit into their high standards for both students and family and go through a rigorous interview process.
I'd believe among the standard for family/students... "able to pay the tuition on time" is number 1 prerequisite.

Last edited by Hehe; 05-09-2016 at 12:14 PM.
Hehe is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2016, 11:50 AM   #6078
I am Hook'd on RS

Last edited by IGTBAR; 04-08-2018 at 07:49 AM.
IGTBAR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2016, 12:06 PM   #6079
NEWBIE ACCOUNT!

students, someone in town for a one year work term,
C-One is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2016, 12:08 PM   #6080
I help report spam so I got this! <--

Thanked 1,215 Times in 535 Posts
Morons signed their lives away to the bank. How do they afford the kids with 6k take home a month? Are they going to go on gofundme and beg for money? Or leeching the parents.

Also the problem with any government intervention is that you would have morons like these protesting it because they're deep in leverage shit that it would be insult to injury to have the price being controlled or god forbid, lower.

Damned if you do damned if you dont. Foreign buyer policies should have been in place years ago. Now we're too far up shit creek.
Nlkko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2016, 12:10 PM   #6081
I told him no, what y'all do?

Thanked 5,812 Times in 2,501 Posts
students or people from out of town that don't plan to lay down roots. especially if it's near a hospital you could have nurses from abroad working for a couple years.

Quote:
Greenstoner
1 rat shit ruins the whole congee
originalhypa
You cannot live the life of a whore and expect a monument to your chastity
Quote:
[22-12, 08:51]mellomandidnt think and went in straight..scrapped like a bitch
[17-09, 12:07]FastAnna glowjob
[17-09, 12:08]FastAnna I like dat

GLOW is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 05-09-2016, 12:16 PM   #6082
I am Hook'd on RS

Quote:
Originally Posted by GLOW View Post
students or people from out of town that don't plan to lay down roots. especially if it's near a hospital you could have nurses from abroad working for a couple years.
Is this actually a common thing? Wondering if we should rent our condo out furnished or unfurnished but it definitely does limit the rental pool.
IGTBAR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2016, 12:23 PM   #6083

don't you get asked if it's fully furnished, partially furnished, or unfurnished when people come looking? i find that usually is a good indicator of the market in that area. local people tend to have their own shit.

i've had people looking partial or fully, usually to out of towners, international students, or people living all the way out in like chilliwack but going to school in the city for a few terms. people tend to want to sleep in their own bed unless they're not from BC: i.e. don't have a bed with them to bring along

Quote:
Greenstoner
originalhypa
Quote:

Old 05-09-2016, 06:51 PM   #6084
Old School RS

Thanked 3,950 Times in 1,203 Posts
Quote:
Good luck with southridge.
Not only do you need the ability to pay the tuition, but you also have to fit into their high standards for both students and family and go through a rigorous interview process.
Ha, as a Southridge graduate, it's not just tuition of $16k/yr. There are many costs above that - uniforms, sports, and the donations (which if you think are optional... Lol). I believe it's the better part of $25k/yr per student in high school years and still over 20 when they are young.

Mark
Old 05-09-2016, 08:06 PM   #6085
I HERP TO YOU DERP

Quote:
Originally Posted by lowside67 View Post
Ha, as a Southridge graduate, it's not just tuition of $16k/yr. There are many costs above that - uniforms, sports, and the donations (which if you think are optional... Lol). I believe it's the better part of $25k/yr per student in high school years and still over 20 when they are young.

Mark
Heard the "donations" are about 10k a year lol
hypediss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2016, 08:52 PM   #6086

Thanked 2,751 Times in 1,182 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by lowside67 View Post

Mark
How do your parents make a living again?

And I thought if wife and kid actually move back to Canada I was going to put kid into Southridge.
Old 05-09-2016, 09:05 PM   #6087
Old School RS

Thanked 3,950 Times in 1,203 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hehe View Post
How do your parents make a living again?
Quite humbly compared to most people I went to school with. They gave up a lot because they believe strongly in education and wanted to give me the best they could.

Mark
Old 05-09-2016, 09:45 PM   #6088
UFO
I *heart* Revscene.net very Muchie

^ with the above said, I think all this talk and speculation about who makes what and who can afford that and they are idiots for going in so deep, at the end of the day we all find a way to make it work. Buy, rent, invest, mooch. It's really all about survival and priorities at the most basic level
UFO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2016, 05:45 AM   #6089
I have named my kids VIC and VLS

Thanked 14,324 Times in 5,641 Posts
That seems a heavy price to pay to go to south ridge when you can go to pacific academy for almost half that. And Pacific Acadamy, in terms of appearance at least, looks like a far superior school than south ridge
Old 05-10-2016, 06:19 AM   #6090
I *heart* Revscene.net very Muchie

Quote:
Originally Posted by SumAznGuy View Post
Keep in mind, Banks will not let you borrow against lease hold properties.
That means you would have to take out a line of credit, which is usually higher % interest rate to use as a down payment on the new place instead of borrowing against your equity as a down payment.
I believe the last bank to allow lease hold mortgages was BMO. This was a few years ago but I'm not sure if they still do now. I remember my ex, who used to work there, said there was a minimum like no lesser than 80 years on the lease I think
6thGear. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2016, 06:38 AM   #6091
My homepage has been set to RS

Thanked 1,874 Times in 604 Posts
If you are going to spend $25K on schooling, I would definitely send your kids to St Georges. Sure the education is better than most public schooling, but it is the bonding with future premiers and Captains of companies that is the real benefit Vs bonding with regular folks!! haha!

btw, I never went to St Georges.....
86 944 Turbo with 340rwhp Lindsay Racing kit
15 991 PTS GT3
18 VW Golf R
Z3guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2016, 07:10 AM   #6092
SiRVs up, dude

Quote:
Originally Posted by Z3guy View Post
If you are going to spend $25K on schooling, I would definitely send your kids to St Georges. Sure the education is better than most public schooling, but it is the bonding with future premiers and Captains of companies that is the real benefit Vs bonding with regular folks!! haha!

btw, I never went to St Georges.....
Second-ed
Old 05-10-2016, 08:44 AM   #6093
they call me the snowman

Thanked 3,993 Times in 1,374 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hondaracer View Post
That seems a heavy price to pay to go to south ridge when you can go to pacific academy for almost half that. And Pacific Acadamy, in terms of appearance at least, looks like a far superior school than south ridge
Southridge is heads and tails above all other schools in the valley. My brothers went to PA and imho, they spent far too much time learning about religion. Southridge doesn't have the religious stuff holding them back. So those 5 hours that Southridge doesn't study religion can be spent on math, or other important subjects.

I graduated from Holy Cross, and one quick look at my facebook shows the folks that I graduated with aren't the captains of industry that their parents expected them to be. Maybe it's the scourge of gen Y, or maybe private school isn't the saviour of lost children. But our claim to fame is a pair of grads who own a few bars in the lower mainland.

I sent my kids to a very good public school, and I regret it. They're good kids, but the curriculum is a joke and as such I've had to get outside tutoring to fill in the gaps in their knowledge. So in effect, I'm getting a "free" education for my kids. But it's costing me hundreds of dollars a month to get them to that elusive 4.0 GPA.

That said, I'm with z3 guy. As douchey as he sounds, St. George's is where it's at if future success is what you're after. The relationships you make there will help you make money in the future. Plus the chances of knocking up a Pattison, or Washington granddaughter are very high if you got game.
originalhypa is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 05-10-2016, 09:10 AM   #6094

Thanked 2,462 Times in 1,127 Posts
Chinese real estate investors are reshaping the market

Some of the themes in this article have been covered before, but it's a good summary of the factors at play, what the real estate industry means for Canada overall, and the risks.

From a macro perspective, it's FUBAR.
Tapioca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2016, 09:14 AM   #6095
I have named my kids VIC and VLS

Thanked 14,324 Times in 5,641 Posts
Little round of the guessing game here, this is a development we're currently finishing up, panorama area of surrey, 152nd and 60th. 2100 sq ft living space, 3 bed + den with a detached double wide garage, as well as a 400 sq foot unfinished retail space/store front below:

All 6 units sold out without a show home or sales center. How much?
Old 05-10-2016, 09:22 AM   #6096
God of Unce

Old 05-10-2016, 09:25 AM   #6097

625k Bob!

my 2nd answer
Spoiler!

Quote:
Greenstoner
originalhypa
Quote:

This post thanked by:
Old 05-10-2016, 09:37 AM   #6098
Pull Out Towing. Women rescued for free.

Thanked 2,414 Times in 1,283 Posts
$900K
Quote:
Originally Posted by tofu1413 View Post
and icing on the cake, lady driving a newer chrysler 200 infront of me... jumped out of her car, dropped her pants, did an immediate squat and did probably the longest public relief ever...... steam and all.

(11-0-0) Buy/Sell rating
Christine
Shitvic
Pull Out Towing
SumAznGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2016, 09:39 AM   #6099
My homepage has been set to RS

Thanked 1,874 Times in 604 Posts
Quote:
Southridge is heads and tails above all other schools in the valley. My brothers went to PA and imho, they spent far too much time learning about religion. Southridge doesn't have the religious stuff holding them back. So those 5 hours that Southridge doesn't study religion can be spent on math, or other important subjects.

I graduated from Holy Cross, and one quick look at my facebook shows the folks that I graduated with aren't the captains of industry that their parents expected them to be. Maybe it's the scourge of gen Y, or maybe private school isn't the saviour of lost children. But our claim to fame is a pair of grads who own a few bars in the lower mainland.

I sent my kids to a very good public school, and I regret it. They're good kids, but the curriculum is a joke and as such I've had to get outside tutoring to fill in the gaps in their knowledge. So in effect, I'm getting a "free" education for my kids. But it's costing me hundreds of dollars a month to get them to that elusive 4.0 GPA.

That said, I'm with z3 guy. As douchey as he sounds, St. George's is where it's at if future success is what you're after. The relationships you make there will help you make money in the future. Plus the chances of knocking up a Pattison, or Washington granddaughter are very high if you got game.
haha! that is definitely the pot calling the kettle black lol!!!
86 944 Turbo with 340rwhp Lindsay Racing kit
15 991 PTS GT3
18 VW Golf R
Z3guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2016, 09:40 AM   #6100
they call me the snowman

Thanked 3,993 Times in 1,374 Posts
We aren't much different, you and I.

originalhypa is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by: