REVscene - Vancouver Automotive Forum

Welcome to the REVscene Automotive Forum forums.

Registration is Free!You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today! The banners on the left side and below do not show for registered users!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   REVscene Automotive Forum > Automotive Chat > Vancouver Off-Topic / Current Events

Vancouver Off-Topic / Current Events The off-topic forum for Vancouver, funnies, non-auto centered discussions, WORK SAFE. While the rules are more relaxed here, there are still rules. Please refer to sticky thread in this forum.

Old 07-26-2016, 09:37 AM   #7226
linguistic ninja

Thanked 3,342 Times in 1,214 Posts
This entire 300 page thread can be summed up in 4 or 5 lines:

4444: Market's going to crash!
Carl Johnson: No fuck you, it's going to keep going going going going to the moon!
random poster 1: Should I buy an overpriced condo/townhouse in <insert name of development x in the boonies>?
random poster 2: No you should buy an overpriced condo/townhouse <insert name of development y in the boonies> instead!
gululululu: China #1!

/thread
Advertisement

Still a card carrying member of the SFC :)
CivicBlues is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2016, 09:40 AM   #7227
RS.net, helping ugly ppl have sex since 2001

Thanked 3,834 Times in 1,480 Posts
What's considered metro Vancouver? How far out does this tax cover?
Old 07-26-2016, 09:40 AM   #7228
i like gifs

Thanked 7,785 Times in 2,695 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tapioca View Post
Is your friend's townhouse by the Pitt River Bridge and the Mary Hill? If so, that's Fremont Village.

Townhouses at Fremont haven't been 320K in several years. When Mosaic built the first phase in 2010/2011, I believe they were priced from the 330s. They are now pushing into the 600s.

The area is slowly developing, but if you rely on the highway for your commute, it's not bad at all.
Yeah, he was one of the first people to move in, so I guess he locked into a really good rate at the time.
Ch28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2016, 09:49 AM   #7229
Head of HR....have a seat on that couch

Thanked 15,572 Times in 4,314 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by lowside67 View Post
I think it will sell for dramatically higher than that. We were looking at those specific units when we bought in Port Moody and they were already mid 400s last year in terms of actual sale price.

Mark
Did you note the sqft and layout? It's pretty bad.

Quote:
Originally Posted by hud 91gt View Post
What's considered metro Vancouver? How far out does this tax cover?
I've always considered anything West of 264th, the GVRD.

Originally posted by v.b.
can we stop, my pussy hurts...
Originally posted by asian_XL
fliptuner, I am gonna grab ur dick and pee in your face, then rub shit all over my face...:lol
Originally posted by Fei-Ji
haha i can taste the cum in my mouth
Originally posted by FastAnna
when I was 13 I wanted to be a video hoe so bad

RSUV #7
fliptuner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2016, 09:51 AM   #7230
OMGWTFBBQ is a common word I say everyday

Thanked 3,680 Times in 1,522 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by fliptuner View Post
Here's one:
https://www.locatehomes.ca/bc-real-e...5?id=262116013

LOLOLOLOL

A unit like this makes absolutely no sense, whatsoever, unless you love stairs.

we looked at those units a couple years ago
they were $350k at the time and felt pretty damn cramped
"I have a lot of beliefs, and I live by none of them. They're just my beliefs, they make me feel good about who I am. But if they get in the way of a thing I want, like I wanna jack off or something, I just do that."
6o4__boi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2016, 10:00 AM   #7231
Old School RS

Thanked 3,930 Times in 1,197 Posts
Quote:
Did you note the sqft and layout? It's pretty bad.
Jesus, I did not. I assumed we were talking about the generic 1300-1400sqft units that are most common. Agree - 1BR townhouse WTF.

Mark
Old 07-26-2016, 10:05 AM   #7232
I *heart* Revscene.net very Muchie

Thanked 4,984 Times in 995 Posts
anyone have experiences with west coast realty / nustream realty? the asian bunched group of realtors?

Might be interesting to join their group in the future, know a few realtors in their division

edit: 300k tax on 2 million house isn't going to do shit, its too late, people are still buying

Can someone tell good or unusual dating spots? Or what was your the most unusual date? THanks for sharing!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr.HappySilp View Post
my bedroom =D
Quote:
Originally Posted by dhillon09 View Post
that's a great secret date spot,
i bet no girl in vancouver has seen it.
Verdasco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2016, 10:06 AM   #7233

850sqft, minus stairs, split into 3 floors hahahaha

fliptuner, I am gonna grab ur dick and pee in your face, then rub shit all over my face...:lol

RSUV #7
Old 07-26-2016, 10:10 AM   #7234
Pull Out Towing. Women rescued for free.

Thanked 2,414 Times in 1,283 Posts
Quote:
850sqft, minus stairs, split into 3 floors hahahaha

And I thought 1000 sq ft duplex with 2 floors and 4 bedrooms was bad.
Quote:
Originally Posted by tofu1413 View Post
and icing on the cake, lady driving a newer chrysler 200 infront of me... jumped out of her car, dropped her pants, did an immediate squat and did probably the longest public relief ever...... steam and all.

(11-0-0) Buy/Sell rating
Christine
Shitvic
Pull Out Towing
SumAznGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2016, 10:28 AM   #7235

Thanked 3,221 Times in 1,214 Posts
It seems with townhouses these days, people would rather have that side by side two car garage instead of a designated parking space outside and a shitload of extra room indoors.
MarkyMark is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2016, 10:32 AM   #7236

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarkyMark View Post
It seems with townhouses these days, people would rather have that side by side two car garage instead of a designated parking space outside and a shitload of extra room indoors.
You mean front and back tandem parking spots.

Anything that is side by side is going to have decent sq footage.
Quote:
and icing on the cake, lady driving a newer chrysler 200 infront of me... jumped out of her car, dropped her pants, did an immediate squat and did probably the longest public relief ever...... steam and all.

(11-0-0) Buy/Sell rating
Christine
Shitvic
Pull Out Towing
Old 07-26-2016, 10:34 AM   #7237

As some one who wrenches, I'd rather have a double (wide) garage.

For the masses, a single garage with an office/flex room behind it, plus a designated stall, makes more sense than a tandem garage.

RSUV #7
This post thanked by:
Old 07-26-2016, 10:40 AM   #7238

Quote:
Originally Posted by SumAznGuy View Post
You mean front and back tandem parking spots.

Anything that is side by side is going to have decent sq footage.
Yeah they'll be 1300+sq feet, but even then when you consider the two spare bedrooms are tiny that space that the garage takes up is huge.
Old 07-26-2016, 10:45 AM   #7239

Quote:
Yeah they'll be 1300+sq feet, but even then when you consider the two spare bedrooms are tiny that space that the garage takes up is huge.
Garage space isn't part of the Sq ft calculations.
So 1300 sq ft is 1300 sq ft of living space.
Quote:

(11-0-0) Buy/Sell rating
Christine
Shitvic
Pull Out Towing
Old 07-26-2016, 11:00 AM   #7240
RS has made me the bitter person i am today!

Thanked 2,451 Times in 1,123 Posts
About stairs...

Most people who grew up in the City of Vancouver in your typical Vancouver special are used to having to go up stairs to the main level. We never rented the basement like most immigrant families, but the majority of immigrant families did, so the basement was never actually lived in. I personally have no issue with going up stairs. Maybe it's because I take public transit to work and I'm used to it.

Speaking from experience, condos are good when you are DINKs. IMHO, when you have kids, you appreciate having a garage and front door.

Quote:
A lot of people convert the workshop space of a tandem garage into an extra room. Some developers even rough-in the plumbing, so you just have to find a way to vent air into the garage. If your garage is 40+ feet, you could still theoretically have room for 2 cars if you build an extra room in the back. Just gotta watch the survey to make sure your garage is actually part of the rest of the strata lot, as opposed to limited common property.

Parking 2 cars in a tandem garage isn't really practical, so it's best to have a legal driveway spot (e.g. strata approved or surveyed) outside the garage.

Last edited by Tapioca; 07-26-2016 at 11:10 AM.
Tapioca is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 07-26-2016, 11:02 AM   #7241

Quote:
Originally Posted by SumAznGuy View Post
The point I'm trying to make is what it there was no garage, and that space was used for living space and added to the square footage like the 80s townhouse I'm renting right now. The place is huge.

Do they do this so parking doesn't take up space that they could build more units on? I'm assuming that's it.
Old 07-26-2016, 11:04 AM   #7242
I have named my kids VIC and VLS

Thanked 14,239 Times in 5,600 Posts
I find the problem with a lot of townhomes is the "cheaper" ones don't even have a powder room on the main floor. So guests etc are having to go up and use the main bath or the ensuite when you have parties etc. (yea parties with those party walls? Lol jk)

Also most Vancouver specials had the living space at ground level no? Or at the very least a split level, not actually like the "second" floor?

lol @ the dinks thing though, my fiancés cousins call us that all the time, thought they had been clever and made somthing up lol
Old 07-26-2016, 11:16 AM   #7243

Quote:
The point I'm trying to make is what it there was no garage, and that space was used for living space and added to the square footage like the 80s townhouse I'm renting right now. The place is huge.

Do they do this so parking doesn't take up space that they could build more units on? I'm assuming that's it.
Yep, tandem garages reduce the footprint of the complex so developers can build more units on the lot. I see a lot of newer townhome complexes being built with no driveways (no parking spot outside) which sucks.

Quote:
I find the problem with a lot of townhomes is the "cheaper" ones don't even have a powder room on the main floor. So guests etc are having to go up and use the main bath or the ensuite when you have parties etc. (yea parties with those party walls? Lol jk)

Also most Vancouver specials had the living space at ground level no? Or at the very least a split level, not actually like the "second" floor?
When we were house hunting, we found that townhouses with powder rooms came at the expense of kitchen space. Our townhouse, which was built 15 years ago, doesn't have a powder room but it has a larger nook, an island, and a pantry closet which were big pluses for the wife. At least if we want to add another ensuite bathroom, we have full plumbing roughed in the garage.

Most Vancouver specials were really two full suites in one house meaning if you rented the basement, you would never use it and you would be forced to go up the stairs to your half of the house.
Old 07-26-2016, 11:31 AM   #7244

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tapioca View Post
Yep, tandem garages reduce the footprint of the complex so developers can build more units on the lot. I see a lot of newer townhome complexes being built with no driveways (no parking spot outside) which sucks.
My favorite are the driveways that are big enough to maybe parallel park a mini on them.
Old 07-26-2016, 12:05 PM   #7245

In a 1300-1400, 3 level, th, I prefer the bathrooms be on the top and bottom. Larger kitchen/lr and the last thing I want is to hear people using the bathroom while I'm watching TV or entertaining, let alone dropping a deuce.

RSUV #7
This post thanked by:
Old 07-26-2016, 12:10 PM   #7246
I have named my kids VIC and VLS

Thanked 14,239 Times in 5,600 Posts
Quote:
In a 1300-1400, 3 level, th, I prefer the bathrooms be on the top and bottom. Larger kitchen/lr and the last thing I want is to hear people using the bathroom while I'm watching TV or entertaining, let alone dropping a deuce.
Later on i'll upload some pics of the most recent units my old company built, they are quite a bit larger than the standard townhouse, but they designed them well in that the powder room was situated behind the pantry as opposed to right next to the kitchen.

Even with that said, i'd prefer a powder room for guests and hearing them crank a shit while we're sitting down to say a prayer as opposed to them constantly using the main bath
Old 07-26-2016, 12:12 PM   #7247

Quote:
That's another thing about powder rooms in a typical 1300 square foot townhouse - there's nowhere to put one, so they're put right in the kitchen where a pantry closet would go. Some are so poorly placed that the door opens right into a counter/prep area.
Old 07-26-2016, 12:27 PM   #7248
I WANT MY 10 YEARS BACK FROM RS.net!

Thanked 4,525 Times in 1,357 Posts
Be Warned Canada: Australia Introduces a New Tax Rule that Slaps Chinese Investors
By Abdoulie - June 28, 2016

Be Warned Canada: Australia Introduces a New Tax Rule that Slaps Chinese Investors

Canada, and any other country which is the end-target of Chinese hot money laundering) is being urged to evaluate their options and adopt the system that benefits them the most. This week, Sydney announced that a new taxing system is being imposed on foreign investors in an attempt to resolve the over-flooded market dominated by mostly Chinese speculators. With the city’s prices ever increasing, Sydney is ranked to be the only second to the Chinese Hong Kong, and other big cities with the world’s most expensive housing.

Nonetheless, China’s notorious offshore money laundering nexus of Vancouver- a hot housing market facing major problems as prices continue to sky-high, did not make the list simply due to the fact that some Chinese oligarch paid a hefty sum of money to ensure that that city name disappears. However, Sydney’s crackdown on oligarchs is long overdue

Michelle Bennett, indirect tax specialist of KPMG Australia reported that “the governments want to respond to a perception about housing affordability and the impact of foreign investment on that,”. Bennet added that “(Politicians) are raising money from people who aren’t voting, so superficially you can understand that it’s possibly not bad politics,” but also said that the solution to resolve the problem could be a “blunt instrument” which might negatively affect the market.

Harry Triguboff, Australia’s richest man and head of prominent developer had an interview with Australian Financial Review last week and said “It is very bad. Without the Chinese nothing would ever get built,”. Trigudov went further on and said “Never mind the nonsense stories, sales volumes have already dropped and prices are coming down steadily. The Chinese buyers are already disappearing.”

According to Australia’s Foreign Investment Review Board, it was reported that China invested Aus$4.2BN in 2011, which puts them on top of the list as the largest overseas buyer. However, the country’s foreign investment policies are becoming stricter as some offshore investors were forced by the government to sell their properties.

These policies, however, will discourage foreign investors, especially Chinese speculators and many are starting to predict a housing bubble burst similar to Canada’s impending one: “with housing prices appearing to be coming off the boil and the economy transitioning away from a mining boom” said some analysts suggesting that the tax could backfire.

“It’ll have ramifications down the track when the market goes through a pretty significant downturn in terms of construction and developers are finding it hard to get projects going,” BIS Shrapnel’s managing director Robert Mellor said.

Cameron Kusher of CoreLogic’s Australia, which is the country’s leading property data provider said that it’s quite obvious that the housing market is softening and might also be the main reason why some states are attempting “grab some revenue while it’s on offer”

“The people that are buying for the long-term… maybe at some point to migrate to Australia, I don’t think it would act as too much of a deterrent for them,” Kusher added.
Timpo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2016, 12:31 PM   #7249
I WANT MY 10 YEARS BACK FROM RS.net!

Thanked 4,525 Times in 1,357 Posts
House Price Horrors: Who You Gonna Call? Not Christy Clark
Premier’s latest step won’t bust ghostly killers of home affordability.

By Bill Tieleman, Today

House Price Horrors: Who You Gonna Call? Not Christy Clark | The Tyee

Running scared? BC Premier Christy Clark, behind Housing Minister Mike de Jong, reversed BC Liberals’ deregulation of realtors. Yesterday, again reversing its position, the BC Liberal government announced an extra 15 per cent tax on foreign nationals buying real estate in Metro Vancouver.

Dr. Peter Venkman: “This city is headed for a disaster of biblical proportions.” – Ghostbusters, 1984

Call Premier Christy Clark? You gotta be kidding. She’s afraid of those ghosts.

But nonetheless, Clark is holding a paranormal summer session of the BC Legislature because she is even more afraid of something else -- that she’ll be slimed by angry voters for not taking action to stop house prices from skyrocketing to completely unaffordable levels.

And what spooks Clark is the thought of losing the May 2017 provincial election as a result.

So on Monday the BC Liberals announced a surprise extra 15 per cent property tax on foreign nationals buying Metro Vancouver housing.

It’s a complete flip-flop from what Clark said just back in May: “By moving foreign owners out of the market housing prices will drop.”

It’s amazing how quickly a premier can change her mind after seeing a ghost – or more likely a series of deadly internal polls.

But this 15 per cent tax comes way, way too late. Prices already jumped 32 per cent in the past year alone and this 15 per cent property tax may not deter many foreign buyers who are fueling the rise. After all, it still leaves a 17 per cent profit every year!

And this 15 per cent property tax may not deter many foreign buyers. After all, it still leaves a 17 per cent profit every year!

Clark’s delay, and the price we pay

Horrendous housing prices are not surprising, given that the BC Liberals have steadfastly refused to deal with foreign nationals buying up billions in Metro Vancouver homes as a speculative investment, with no plans to actually live here – thereby driving prices up to astonishing levels, with detached houses in Metro Vancouver now at $1.4 million on average.

Those insane prices have resulted in a windfall revenue surplus for the province, with the property transfer tax adding an extra $605 million more than budgeted – a 44 per cent boost to $1.53 billion.
Timpo is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 07-26-2016, 12:56 PM   #7250

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hondaracer View Post
Even with that said, i'd prefer a powder room for guests and hearing them crank a shit while we're sitting down to say a prayer as opposed to them constantly using the main bath
Luckily, I have a full bath attached to my office/flex, downstairs. Fire away. Lol

RSUV #7