REVscene - Vancouver Automotive Forum

Welcome to the REVscene Automotive Forum forums.

Registration is Free!You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today! The banners on the left side and below do not show for registered users!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   REVscene Automotive Forum > Automotive Chat > Vancouver Off-Topic / Current Events

Vancouver Off-Topic / Current Events The off-topic forum for Vancouver, funnies, non-auto centered discussions, WORK SAFE. While the rules are more relaxed here, there are still rules. Please refer to sticky thread in this forum.

Old 11-22-2021, 11:01 AM   #19726
I *heart* Revscene.net very Muchie

Quote:
Originally Posted by HKS PWR View Post
So you're saying there's nothing is wrong with the actual manifold, but the flow meter that's attached to the manifold (that can probably be replaced) leaks? So what exactly is wrong with these particular flow meters that's causing multiple leaks and wouldn't the manufacturer's warranty cover replacement?
So what's the current solution? Replace the heating manifold with a different brand and hope the flow meters on these new ones don't fail too?
I'm surprised this Strata hasn't contacted the manufacturer to help deal with the issue. If it's one of the new buildings around here the manufacturer should be fixing/replacing it all. My old place at New Water the toilet tanks were randomly cracking. The tank would crack and the toilet would just keep pumping water thus flooding. We were told to keep an eye out and some residents would check the night before only to wake up to a flooded bathroom. We contacted the toilet manufacturer which was TOTO and developer Polygon about the issue as there was well over 30% affected tanks. Polygon pretty much told us where to go and washed their hands clean but TOTO stepped up and replaced all the tanks under warranty but not for install which was on us. I think we used $10k-$15k out of the CRF to install.
Advertisement
6thGear. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2021, 03:08 PM   #19727
I Will not Admit my Addiction to RS

Quote:
Originally Posted by inv4zn View Post
Seconding this, I need an electrician to install a smart thermostat...very small job, just needs to be licensed.
open your existing thrmo. check how many wire first. many need c wire. if not, u need to run power with an adapter. they are very easy to change. just mark the wires going into ur old thrmo, then change to new one.
Rallydrv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2021, 05:15 PM   #19728
in the butt

Thanked 3,223 Times in 1,185 Posts
Make sure you lick your fingers and touch R and C, get that 24V coffee buzz through your body. If you blow the indoor transformer, then call an electrician

Originally Posted by ilovebacon
Does anyone have a pair of 25 pounds one-inch hole for sale at a reasonable price?
donk. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2021, 08:51 PM   #19729
Rs has made me the woman i am today!

Thanked 6,699 Times in 1,626 Posts
Ita a 4 wire high voltage system, which Mysa is like 1 of 2 products on the market that are compatible.

I know I can do it myself, I just don't want to be an asshole tenant.
inv4zn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2021, 12:05 PM   #19730
Rs has made me the woman i am today!

Thanked 1,323 Times in 579 Posts
Noticed some air in the water line system when using the kitchen faucet at my parents place when using the faucet. My dad mentioned some loud gargling sound of water between the pipes middle of the nights. There was some water hammer during winter time last year but haven't heard of since then. It sounds like air is trapped in the water lines, and this isn't something you can replicate in front of someone to show them the issue on the spot as it comes and goes whenever usually at night when the water isn't used.

Looked online for plumber and Mr. Rooter & Real Seal Plumbing have positive google reviews and close to my parents place. Would a plumber be able to diagnose and fix this? If anyone has any hookup/leads, would be helpful too.
Euro7r is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2021, 07:47 PM   #19731
Where's my RS Christmas Lobster?!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Euro7r View Post
Looked online for plumber and Mr. Rooter & Real Seal Plumbing have positive google reviews and close to my parents place. Would a plumber be able to diagnose and fix this? If anyone has any hookup/leads, would be helpful too.
I don't know about whether the problem is something a plumber can diagnose, but I've had really good experiences with Shane at Resilient Plumbing and Heating: https://www.resilientplumbing.com/

Send them an email first and I bet they'd be more than honest about whether it's worth having them out. They've been very reasonable the times I've used them and are quite frank about what's worthwhile, what needs to be addressed, what I might DIY, etc.
Old 11-26-2021, 09:01 PM   #19732
Need to Seek Professional Help

Quote:
Originally Posted by Euro7r View Post
Noticed some air in the water line system when using the kitchen faucet at my parents place when using the faucet. My dad mentioned some loud gargling sound of water between the pipes middle of the nights. There was some water hammer during winter time last year but haven't heard of since then. It sounds like air is trapped in the water lines, and this isn't something you can replicate in front of someone to show them the issue on the spot as it comes and goes whenever usually at night when the water isn't used.

why don't you try shutting off the water valve...turning on all the faucets/flush the toilets so that all the water is out of the system and then turn the water system back on

are you sure the knocking sound is from the water....and not from the heat ducting expanding and contracting during the cold times?
Sw0op is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2021, 11:09 PM   #19733

Lurker here, hoping to get some advice or feedback from members.

Just moved to a new place, 10 years old condo. The whole place is hardwood (or most likely laminate or engineer hardwood).

Anyways, while I was moving in, I stepped onto an uneven part of the kitchen, and water seeped out from the cracks. I quickly turned off the main water supply. I called property manager and they said sounds like a unit's problem, so they don't deal with it.

I'm kind of in half panic mode, because where do I start in trying to figure out what the problem is? It's not radiant heat, so definitely no pipe underneath the floor. Something is definitely wet underneath, but not super crazy (it takes some effort to squeeze some water out from underneath by stepping on the board).

Would I have to take apart the whole floor to dry it? Who would I contact to figure what the problem is? Plumber?

I don't see any leaks anywhere, nothing under the sink. There's a dishwasher and a fridge. The fridge is hooked to water line that so it can produce ice. Could one of these things be leaking?
trd2343 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2021, 11:54 PM   #19734
Wunder? Wonder?? Wander???

Could be appliances (dishwasher, fridge). Sounds like there's a leak somewhere.

Not entirely sure who you should call, perhaps some other posters may be able to guide. But your insurer and or restoration contractor would be a good bet.
Lamboda is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 11-28-2021, 08:10 AM   #19735
private modder

Thanked 2,652 Times in 741 Posts
Sorry to hear this. It's not going to be a fun experience either way. Water under your floors is definitely a problem that will continue to get worse.

Gravity pulls water down, so my guess is one of the pipes feeding into your unit is leaking and the water is seeping below your floors and will continue to spread if the leak isn't fixed. I had a similar situation, it was a pipe below my sink that was dripped overnight, into the cabinets and eventually down into the floors. Other possble sources are the dishwasher or your ice maker.

First thing to do is get a copy of your bylaws and find out if there is a chargeback bylaw or anything that talks about responsibility for damages from a strata lot. That will determine how much liability is yours.

Generally speaking, here are your options:

Call the property manager and demand strata sends a restoration company to investigate. The council has a duty to act in this situation because the assumption is the leak is impacting the structure of the building. The crew will arrive, rip out your floors, find the source of the leak and start drying the place out. If they determine the source is from one of your pipes or appliances, you'll eventually be sent the bill (if your bylaws allow that) and you can choose to pay it or claim it against your home insurance.

Or you can call your home insurance now. They'll basically do the same process as above. OR they might tell you to call the strata council first and start with them. If the leak impacts many units and the total damages exceed the strata insurance deductible, the entire claim goes to the strata insurance (unlikely though based on your description).

Or you just call the restoration company yourself and try and keep the strata/insurance companies out of it.

Of the three options, the easiest arguably is start with the strata and let the chips fall where they do. But read your bylaws first!

Either way, your floors will have to be removed, and possibly some baseboards and drywall to isolate the source so expect a lot of repair work that will take a few months.

Last tip, shut the water off at your main shutoff and that is likely to stop the leak. Calling a restoration company today (Sunday) will cost a lot more than tomorrow (Monday) because of weekend/OT rates. So consider waiting 24 hours if you shut the water off.

Last edited by Eff-1; 11-28-2021 at 08:17 AM.
Eff-1 is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 11-28-2021, 08:32 AM   #19736
in the butt

Thanked 3,223 Times in 1,185 Posts
Assuming the leak is coming from your unit, shutting the water off will help.
The leak may very well be from the unit above you, runs down a concrete pillar behind drywall, then across your floor.

Not uncommon for us to be sent out to a leak call in the middle of someones living room, only to find the suite 2 floors above with a washing machine thats been leaking for months. Water can easily run 15 ft that way or this way before you notice it.

Follow eff-1s advice, your in a grey area

Originally Posted by ilovebacon
Does anyone have a pair of 25 pounds one-inch hole for sale at a reasonable price?
donk. is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 11-28-2021, 08:41 AM   #19737
private modder

Quote:
Originally Posted by donk. View Post

Not uncommon for us to be sent out to a leak call in the middle of someones living room, only to find the suite 2 floors above with a washing machine thats been leaking for months. Water can easily run 15 ft that way or this way before you notice it.
yes very true
This post thanked by:
Old 11-28-2021, 09:29 AM   #19738
I have named my kids VIC and VLS

Thanked 14,365 Times in 5,658 Posts
Get on your hands and knees where the wet spot is and basically work a circle out from there pushing down the flooring to see/feel if you can follow the water
Old 11-28-2021, 11:27 AM   #19739

I can't thank you enough to everyone who has responded. I am going to see if I can somehow determine the source of the leak.

I think the biggest question for me right now is whether I want to call restoration company in today or tomorrow. As far as I can tell, it's not like there's a huge puddle underneath the floor, but on the other hand, I hate to find out after this is all fixed, that had I called today instead of tomorrow, I could've mitigated more damage to myself and potentially other unit.

Will let everyone know how it goes.

Thanks again.
trd2343 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2021, 11:59 AM   #19740
private modder

Consider getting one of these: https://www.canadiantire.ca/en/pdp/m...-0574572p.html

Then just place it along the floor and walls to know where there is moisture and follow the trail back to the source.

Last tip: If you choose not to call today and wait until tomorrow, don't tell them you waited 24 hours in case the insurance company assigns blame to you for not mitigating.
This post thanked by:
Old 11-28-2021, 04:35 PM   #19741

Quote:
Originally Posted by trd2343 View Post

Just moved to a new place, 10 years old condo. The whole place is hardwood (or most likely laminate or engineer hardwood).

Anyways, while I was moving in, I stepped onto an uneven part of the kitchen, and water seeped out from the cracks. I quickly turned off the main water supply. I called property manager and they said sounds like a unit's problem, so they don't deal with it.

I'm kind of in half panic mode, because where do I start in trying to figure out what the problem is? It's not radiant heat, so definitely no pipe underneath the floor. Something is definitely wet underneath, but not super crazy (it takes some effort to squeeze some water out from underneath by stepping on the board).

Would I have to take apart the whole floor to dry it? Who would I contact to figure what the problem is? Plumber?

I don't see any leaks anywhere, nothing under the sink. There's a dishwasher and a fridge. The fridge is hooked to water line that so it can produce ice. Could one of these things be leaking?

Wow that sucks to hear, especially since it was noticed on your moving day. It's also quite bold for the property manager to put it off so quickly and without assisting/investigating if this water damage has potential in damaging below units or common property. If the leak originated from a water pipe deemed common property it is in fact Strata issue and they do have to pay for all repairs including your unit. (whole other messy ass issue)

That being said, this may not have been noticed when you did a final walkthrough prior to possession (and building inspector if you hired one may have missed it??). If your flooring is laminate and there's water it will start to warp slightly, so on top of the other suggestions mentioned also look/feel for warped boards in the vicinity of that puddle and work from there. Hopefully that will also help you track the source

Last edited by 6thGear.; 11-28-2021 at 09:59 PM.
Old 11-28-2021, 09:41 PM   #19742
2013, 2016, 2017 & 2018 NHL Fantasy RS1 Champion

Thanked 1,245 Times in 575 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by trd2343 View Post

Curious if you had an inspection done prior?
HonestTea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2021, 12:03 PM   #19743
RS.net, helping ugly ppl have sex since 2001

Thanked 7,195 Times in 2,413 Posts
Anybody know concrete contractors that do residential?

We have a steep approach that currently uses wooden retaining wall beams as steps.

We'd like to replace it with concrete steps, as well as look at pouring a concrete patio in the backyard.
2010 Toyota Rav4 Limited V6 - Wifey's Daily Driver
2009 BMW 128i - Daily Driver
2007 Toyota Rav4 Sport V6 - Sold
1999 Mazda Miata - Sold
2003 Mazda Protege5 - Sold
1987 BMW 325is - Sold
1990 Mazda Miata - Sold

100% Buy and Sell Feedback
sonick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2021, 01:13 PM   #19744
To me, there is the Internet and there is RS

Thanked 7,386 Times in 3,466 Posts
New? trend in US house building. Anyone notice it?

Last edited by Manic!; 12-01-2021 at 01:19 PM.
Manic! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2021, 01:27 PM   #19745
RS has made me the bitter person i am today!

Thanked 1,057 Times in 429 Posts
No fences?
RiceIntegraRS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2021, 01:39 PM   #19746
Performance Moderator

Thanked 15,461 Times in 5,119 Posts
Do they have bunkers underneath? Lol
68style is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2021, 01:45 PM   #19747
Willing to sell body for a few minutes on RS

Thanked 31,169 Times in 7,158 Posts
Patio doors sans patio lol.
Westopher is correct.
Quote:
Originally Posted by fsy82 View Post
seems like you got a dick up your ass well..get that checked
Quote:
Originally Posted by punkwax View Post
Well.. I’d hate to be the first to say it, but Westopher is correct.
westopher is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 12-01-2021, 02:07 PM   #19748
To me, there is the Internet and there is RS

Thanked 7,386 Times in 3,466 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by westopher View Post
Patio doors sans patio lol.
Bingo!!!

The houses cost 20k less because they did not build a deck. Owners can put one in later. They screw the doors in from the outside so you can't open them.
Old 12-01-2021, 02:09 PM   #19749
I contribute to threads in the offtopic forum

Thanked 1,121 Times in 531 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by sonick View Post
Anybody know concrete contractors that do residential?

We have a steep approach that currently uses wooden retaining wall beams as steps.

We'd like to replace it with concrete steps, as well as look at pouring a concrete patio in the backyard.
I think progressive concrete do their own framing and pouring too.
highfive is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 12-01-2021, 02:14 PM   #19750

When my BIL was working in Niagara Falls, we visited him at the house he was renting and the area looked exactly like that. Was on a golf course and was considered "luxury". Funny thing I also don't remember any of the houses having balcony/patios