REVscene - Vancouver Automotive Forum

Welcome to the REVscene Automotive Forum forums.

Registration is Free!You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today! The banners on the left side and below do not show for registered users!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   REVscene Automotive Forum > Automotive Chat > Vancouver Off-Topic / Current Events

Vancouver Off-Topic / Current Events The off-topic forum for Vancouver, funnies, non-auto centered discussions, WORK SAFE. While the rules are more relaxed here, there are still rules. Please refer to sticky thread in this forum.

Old 07-30-2016, 11:34 AM   #7426
14 dolla balla aint got nothing on me!

Quote:
Originally Posted by SumAznGuy View Post
This one is asking sub $200K
https://www.realtor.ca/Residential/S...olumbia-V5R4H6

But I guess these are not houses with land so it's not good enough.
Thanks for the heads up. Going to check out the place this coming week. Anyone know the area well?
Advertisement
kr4l is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2016, 11:42 AM   #7427
I *heart* Revscene.net very Muchie

Thanked 6,548 Times in 1,155 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by kr4l View Post
Thanks for the heads up. Going to check out the place this coming week. Anyone know the area well?
I have a condo in that area, its close to a lot of restaurants on kingsway, there's a safeway a few blocks away. Joyce skytrain is a 10min walk down the street. This posting is across the street from an elementary school. Busy street though
artofstance on twitter
Proud member of GRAPE Great Revscene Action Photographers Enthusiasts
--------------------------------------------
2018 Volkswagen Golf R
1999 Mazda Miata *sold*
2005 Mazda 3 *sold*
2002 Volvo S40 *RIP*
1989 Volvo 740 *RIP*
Matsuda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2016, 11:44 AM   #7428
I contribute to threads in the offtopic forum

Thanked 3,844 Times in 880 Posts
Quote:
That area might be a good investment as there are plans to revitalize that area and have a heavier commercial zoning.

http://vancouver.ca/files/cov/joyce-...2016-07-20.pdf

for now tho... its kinda ghetto
EmperorIS is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2016, 11:58 AM   #7429
I WANT MY 10 YEARS BACK FROM RS.net!

Thanked 4,525 Times in 1,357 Posts
Victoria B.C. officers injured in tent city arrest, police report
Police say four officers suffered non-life threatening injuries during arrest at the camp

By Madeline Green, CBC News Posted: Jul 29, 2016 7:09 AM PT Last Updated: Jul 29, 2016 9:41 AM PT

http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/britis...oria-1.3700380

A B.C. judge has granted the provincial government an injunction to shut down the long-running tent city for safety reasons. (Megan Thomas/CBC)

Four Victoria B.C. police officers were injured during an arrest at a controversial makeshift tent city in the provincial capital, police report.

The camp has been in place since last fall, next to Victoria's courthouse.

Two officers are assigned to the site.

Police said the officers heard what they believed was a domestic assault in one of the tents just after 7 p.m. PT on Thursday and tried to intervene.

That's when the alleged assault of officers happened, said a press release.

Two additional officers were called in, and also allegedly assaulted, police said.

The alleged suspect was arrested — using a Taser — and taken into custody.

Three of the four officers involved were treated in hospital for non-life threatening injuries. The fourth officer was treated for minor injuries at the scene of the alleged assault.

The suspect, who police said was not injured, appears in court today.

Tent city is set to be dismantled on Aug. 8 after new transitional housing opens in the city.

Earlier fire inspections at the Victoria tent city had warned of life-threatening dangers. (Chad Hipolito/The Canadian Press)
Timpo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2016, 12:02 PM   #7430

Four police officers hurt in violent arrest at Victoria’s tent city
KATHERINE DEDYNA, VICTORIA TIMES COLONIST

Published on: July 29, 2016 | Last Updated: July 29, 2016 10:49 AM PDT

Four police officers hurt in violent arrest at Victoria?s tent city | Vancouver Sun

Four Victoria police officers were injured in a violent tent city arrest after they were assaulted by a man at the Burdett Street encampment Thursday evening. Three officers were sent to hospital for treatment while a fourth was treated at the scene. CHAD HIPOLITO / CP FILES

VICTORIA — Four Victoria police officers were injured in a violent tent city arrest after they were assaulted by a man at the Burdett Street encampment Thursday evening. Three officers were sent to hospital for treatment while a fourth was treated at the scene.

The attacker, who is known to police, was subdued with a Taser and also taken to hospital. He was cleared medically and will spend the night in a cell at Victoria police headquarters on Quadra Street. He was not injured.

Victoria police spokesman Const. Matt Rutherford said special duty officers stationed at the encampment heard an altercation in one of the tents and attempted to intervene in what sounded like a domestic assault. They encountered an “extremely combative” man who began to assault them, Rutherford said.

The two officers called for backup and multiple police units quickly responded. “Two assisting officers were also assaulted and a Taser was then deployed to gain control of the man who was then taken into custody without further incident,” a police statement said.

Detectives are interviewing witnesses who observed the incident.

Police are recommending four charges of assaulting a police officer, possession of a prohibited weapon, assault and resisting arrest. The man is expected to appear in court today.

© Copyright Times Colonist
Old 07-30-2016, 12:03 PM   #7431

^ I don't know if this is a result of housing crisis or what
Old 07-30-2016, 12:07 PM   #7432

Thanked 1,601 Times in 543 Posts
Quote:

Last edited by snowball; 10-18-2018 at 11:13 PM.
snowball is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2016, 01:50 PM   #7433

Thanks guys. It's going to be for investment so as long as there's stuff around and a sky train around, that's all that matters
Old 07-30-2016, 03:30 PM   #7434
I told him no, what y'all do?

Thanked 5,812 Times in 2,501 Posts
it's a good area for renters IMO due to proximity to 5 banks, several asian restaurants, bubble tea/ice dessert places, london drugs, papa johns, safeway & liquor store, etc. there's a 7-11 next door and dominos pizza below. on the other side is a dry cleaners and 2 religious buildings next door (i think a mosque and a chinese church?). that 'tower' right behind is a seniors home and the parking lot next to it is parking for RBC, and a japanese ramen restaurant. that place you're looking at has some parking below but it is not secured and might be only for the retail spaces below. very central as there's buses along kingsway and joyce/41st and down the hill is joyce skytrain which can be walked or bused to if lazy or carrying groceries.

that used to be a bus depot back in the 80's before they built that building there. there's some meter parking in front and limited street parking the 1 street over to the east where the london drugs is.

i would beg to differ from emperor's assessment that the area is "ghetto". i know E.Van well enough and if you call the joyce/collingwood area ghetto - especially at the top of the hill, you must be rolling in the same circles as gululemon. at worst i would call the area blue collar working class.

Quote:
Greenstoner
1 rat shit ruins the whole congee
originalhypa
You cannot live the life of a whore and expect a monument to your chastity
Quote:
[22-12, 08:51]mellomandidnt think and went in straight..scrapped like a bitch
[17-09, 12:07]FastAnna glowjob
[17-09, 12:08]FastAnna I like dat

GLOW is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 07-30-2016, 04:10 PM   #7435
MiX iT Up!

Thanked 2,066 Times in 865 Posts
that unit is right on top of a Domino's it seems.... home insurance would be pretty insane...

Sometimes we tend to be in despair when the person we love leaves us, but the truth is, it's not our loss, but theirs, for they left the only person who couldn't give up on them.

Make the effort and take the risk..

"Do what you feel in your heart to be right- for you'll be criticized anyway. You'll be damned if you do, and damned if you don't." - Eleanor Roosevelt
tiger_handheld is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2016, 04:14 PM   #7436
I have named my kids VIC and VLS

Thanked 14,322 Times in 5,640 Posts
The fire separations/building code should make it so it's the same as any other unit in the building I would think
Old 07-30-2016, 04:36 PM   #7437

Quote:
Originally Posted by GLOW View Post
it's a good area for renters IMO due to proximity to 5 banks, several asian restaurants, bubble tea/ice dessert places, london drugs, papa johns, safeway & liquor store, etc. there's a 7-11 next door and dominos pizza below. on the other side is a dry cleaners and 2 religious buildings next door (i think a mosque and a chinese church?). that 'tower' right behind is a seniors home and the parking lot next to it is parking for RBC, and a japanese ramen restaurant. that place you're looking at has some parking below but it is not secured and might be only for the retail spaces below. very central as there's buses along kingsway and joyce/41st and down the hill is joyce skytrain which can be walked or bused to if lazy or carrying groceries.

that used to be a bus depot back in the 80's before they built that building there. there's some meter parking in front and limited street parking the 1 street over to the east where the london drugs is.

i would beg to differ from emperor's assessment that the area is "ghetto". i know E.Van well enough and if you call the joyce/collingwood area ghetto - especially at the top of the hill, you must be rolling in the same circles as gululemon. at worst i would call the area blue collar working class.
thanks for getting into so much detail of the area. I appreciate it
Old 07-30-2016, 04:44 PM   #7438
RS.net, helping ugly ppl have sex since 2001

Thanked 3,839 Times in 1,483 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by westopher View Post
What's your opinion on your non work life in Hong Kong compared to Vancouver?
I have many friends in HK who took a job in Hong Kong with a great company. We work the same job, infact they have a better one. They work less, get paid probably double (Not even talking about taxes), and they all would like to come back here and take the pay cut. Take it for what it is...

HK as a city is absolutely amazing. There is outdoor activities to do if your in the right areas. Nightlife is great. Obviously it's much more westernized then mainland China. It's completely liveable and you could enjoy living there for life for the right pay cheque. But it wouldn't be my first choice.
Old 07-30-2016, 06:44 PM   #7439
Banned (ABWS)

Quote:
Originally Posted by twitchyzero View Post
i also know health professionals that work in Hong Kong and Singapore predominately servicing expats...the money is amazing but I can't see myself trading space, hobbies and most importantly fresh air.

I guess if you grew up there and that's all you're accustomed to everyone living in 12F+ highrises that's fine...probably not fun for Westerners adjusting, even a few days there I felt clusterphobic haha
Actually it's not as bad as people say it is. I've met many westerners that love working here. In fact, there's way more to do here than there is to do in Vancouver. People are also more friendly and outgoing than in Vancouver. Also if I wanted I could easily do a weekend trip to Japan, Korea or any other nearby Asian country. You can't do anything like that in Vancouver.

The work culture is harder than Vancouver no doubt, but it gets rid of the useless dirtbags that abuse the union system in Canada. Coworkers are also more closeknit and do more stuff outside of work together.
twdm is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 07-30-2016, 09:39 PM   #7440
reads most threads with his pants around his ankles, especially in the Forced Induction forum.

Thanked 2,191 Times in 1,131 Posts
^^ I been to HK there are a few things I can't get myself over.
1. Limited living space. Depends on how much you make, most likely you will be living in a 300sq apartment if you make very good money. Otherwise expect to live in a 50 to 100sq ft sharing the bathroom with other people in the apartment. There is little to no personal space.
2. The weather is very different than Vancouver. In HK it is very hot but it also makes you sweat like crazy. It is very common for people to take several showers a day because you sweat a lot. You have to use A/C otherwise you can't even sleep.
3. Too many people. I guess this one depends where you go but during busy hours everywhere is packed.

Other things I like HK
1. Literally you will never go hungry. There are tons of food places around and they are pretty cheap. None of my friends in HK cooks (I guess coz their living space doesn't allow them to cook) but yea food is everywhere and taste great!
2. Easy to get girls. HK girls are pretty easy to get. Most of them are more out going and more friendly than girls in Van.
3. Great transit. I love how HK MTR gets you everywhere! Is fast and cheap.

But if people do plan to go back and work HK is very different than Van. Pretty much OT is normal and you don't get pay for it. Work is also much more stressful than here. A decent profession requires you to dress with the fashion. No shorts or polos at work lol. Yup you have to wear a suit in the summer heat. You have to be very street smart otherwise everyone still step on you. 16hours day are normal.
Mr.HappySilp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2016, 02:52 AM   #7441
Banned (ABWS)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr.HappySilp View Post
^^ I been to HK there are a few things I can't get myself over.
1. Limited living space. Depends on how much you make, most likely you will be living in a 300sq apartment if you make very good money. Otherwise expect to live in a 50 to 100sq ft sharing the bathroom with other people in the apartment. There is little to no personal space.
2. The weather is very different than Vancouver. In HK it is very hot but it also makes you sweat like crazy. It is very common for people to take several showers a day because you sweat a lot. You have to use A/C otherwise you can't even sleep.
3. Too many people. I guess this one depends where you go but during busy hours everywhere is packed.

Other things I like HK
1. Literally you will never go hungry. There are tons of food places around and they are pretty cheap. None of my friends in HK cooks (I guess coz their living space doesn't allow them to cook) but yea food is everywhere and taste great!
2. Easy to get girls. HK girls are pretty easy to get. Most of them are more out going and more friendly than girls in Van.
3. Great transit. I love how HK MTR gets you everywhere! Is fast and cheap.

But if people do plan to go back and work HK is very different than Van. Pretty much OT is normal and you don't get pay for it. Work is also much more stressful than here. A decent profession requires you to dress with the fashion. No shorts or polos at work lol. Yup you have to wear a suit in the summer heat. You have to be very street smart otherwise everyone still step on you. 16hours day are normal.
The point is you wouldn't go back unless you will get a decent salary. I'm not telling people who flip burgers to go to Hong Kong to make a living. I'm telling professionals with skills in demand to go elsewhere to make a living. Leave the burger flippers in Vancouver.

I rent a 2br 400sqft high-end apartment near my hospital for about 13K hkd a month and it is completely adequate for one person. I can easily afford a much larger place, but I don't need it.
twdm is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 07-31-2016, 08:42 AM   #7442
My dinner reheated before my turbo spooled

Does your partner move with you or you keep a long distance relationship?
How do you start fresh with no circle of friends in another country?
And most important not being close to family.

Just wanna know whats the end game.
From the handful of friends who make good money abroad. Most say they wanna come back home eventually. Problem is they'll have to start from the bottom again.
Ludepower is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2016, 09:38 AM   #7443

Thanked 1,941 Times in 765 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ludepower View Post
Does your partner move with you or you keep a long distance relationship?
How do you start fresh with no circle of friends in another country?
And most important not being close to family.

Just wanna know whats the end game.
From the handful of friends who make good money abroad. Most say they wanna come back home eventually. Problem is they'll have to start from the bottom again.
I'll give you my insight:

There are usually 2 types of relationships, 1) a "birds of a feather flock together" whereby both are driven people, in which case both can advance their career and well being by moving (my case), or 2) a bread winner with a supportive partner, in which case if the relationship is in the appropriate position, they will come along (a good friend of mine has done this, they're as happy as a clam)

Friends - easily made. once you're over 25 you have already got your close friends who will be that way for life, and it should be easy enough to make new friends, especially as most place ppl move to will have lots of people of a similar ilk from different parts of the world

being away from family isn't great, but your family should support you living a happier life. I see mine 4 times a year for 2+ weeks at a time and facetime daily. compared to when my parents moved away from their respective families in the 80's, technology makes it a lot better to deal with.

what do you mean when you say they will have to start form the bottom again? I can tell you the moment I moved away, I moved my career forward 10 years in Vancouver standards. If I were to move back to Vancouver as an employee (won't happen), my problem wouldn't be me starting from the bottom, it would be that there are too few jobs that would keep me interested (I'm sure twdm can support this position).

most of the friends you speak of who move back will do so to start a family and will just appreciate the acceleration in their careers whilst they were away, but, again as twdm will probably support, this is probably because they moved to places where having a family isn't easy (I imagine HK isn't an easy place to have children, in fact, based on all my travel throughout Asia, I can't imagine having kids in Asia). Just know, there are places where you can have family, green space, clean air, safety, and great careers - depending on your career choice.

but it's a trade off, ppl compare working/living in HK and working/living in Vancouver, this is an apples to oranges discussion. Vancouver is a shit hole for careers (seriously, before anyone says its not, it is, it really, really is) - but it's a beautiful clean, safe place - HK is the opposite, though HK is a go-go-go place where you can do so much. HK isn't for me, just as much as Vancouver isn't for me. Vancouver's not for everyone, but it is for some / many, just as HK is, just as SF is, LA, London, etc..

everyone's basket that they look for is different. For me, i've found a place I can live the rest of my life in that fulfills my basket of desires, the problem is, most people will just blindly say that Vancouver is the best without actually knowing what's out there, there is a psychological reason for this, but it doesn't make it right. there are places better in some respects whilst being worse in others - nowhere is perfect ("Best place on Earth"... Fuck off BC government, let me decide that on my own).
4444 is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 07-31-2016, 09:42 AM   #7444

Thanked 1,941 Times in 765 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by twdm View Post
Actually it's not as bad as people say it is. I've met many westerners that love working here. In fact, there's way more to do here than there is to do in Vancouver. People are also more friendly and outgoing than in Vancouver. Also if I wanted I could easily do a weekend trip to Japan, Korea or any other nearby Asian country. You can't do anything like that in Vancouver.

The work culture is harder than Vancouver no doubt, but it gets rid of the useless dirtbags that abuse the union system in Canada. Coworkers are also more closeknit and do more stuff outside of work together.
Asia and Europe, the closely available travel is amazing for weekends away.

I love the Asian comradery in the workplace and socializing after work, though I find you get that way more in TO than Vancouver, but it is the different work culture. You don't get it so much in mainland Europe, but more so in London.

sadly, if you want to see dirt bag employees taking advantage of the system, come to Socialist Europe - the workplace laws here would make any capitalist sick...
4444 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2016, 12:36 PM   #7445
I don't get it

Comes into thread for 5 years or so bashing vancouver saying his utopia city in europe destroys vancouver yet wont EVER say where he actually is living now so that people can pull real numbers to ever compare.
Quote:
Originally Posted by 4444 View Post
I'll give you my insight:

There are usually 2 types of relationships, 1) a "birds of a feather flock together" whereby both are driven people, in which case both can advance their career and well being by moving (my case), or 2) a bread winner with a supportive partner, in which case if the relationship is in the appropriate position, they will come along (a good friend of mine has done this, they're as happy as a clam)

Friends - easily made. once you're over 25 you have already got your close friends who will be that way for life, and it should be easy enough to make new friends, especially as most place ppl move to will have lots of people of a similar ilk from different parts of the world

being away from family isn't great, but your family should support you living a happier life. I see mine 4 times a year for 2+ weeks at a time and facetime daily. compared to when my parents moved away from their respective families in the 80's, technology makes it a lot better to deal with.

what do you mean when you say they will have to start form the bottom again? I can tell you the moment I moved away, I moved my career forward 10 years in Vancouver standards. If I were to move back to Vancouver as an employee (won't happen), my problem wouldn't be me starting from the bottom, it would be that there are too few jobs that would keep me interested (I'm sure twdm can support this position).

most of the friends you speak of who move back will do so to start a family and will just appreciate the acceleration in their careers whilst they were away, but, again as twdm will probably support, this is probably because they moved to places where having a family isn't easy (I imagine HK isn't an easy place to have children, in fact, based on all my travel throughout Asia, I can't imagine having kids in Asia). Just know, there are places where you can have family, green space, clean air, safety, and great careers - depending on your career choice.

but it's a trade off, ppl compare working/living in HK and working/living in Vancouver, this is an apples to oranges discussion. Vancouver is a shit hole for careers (seriously, before anyone says its not, it is, it really, really is) - but it's a beautiful clean, safe place - HK is the opposite, though HK is a go-go-go place where you can do so much. HK isn't for me, just as much as Vancouver isn't for me. Vancouver's not for everyone, but it is for some / many, just as HK is, just as SF is, LA, London, etc..

everyone's basket that they look for is different. For me, i've found a place I can live the rest of my life in that fulfills my basket of desires, the problem is, most people will just blindly say that Vancouver is the best without actually knowing what's out there, there is a psychological reason for this, but it doesn't make it right. there are places better in some respects whilst being worse in others - nowhere is perfect ("Best place on Earth"... Fuck off BC government, let me decide that on my own).
Digitalis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2016, 02:22 PM   #7446

Quote:
Canadian government is doing it all wrong, and their worries are coming through.

The US has a much better system for foreign investment in real estate, call FIRPTA (Foreign Investment in Real Property Tax Act, if memory serves me well).

If you do not file taxes in US, they just withhold. You sell your property, 10% of proceeds must be withheld by the buyer and remitted to the government (title agency will do this) - you must prove you are a US filer to avoid this - the burden is on the buyer (not the seller, buyer is the withholding agent) to ensure everything is correct... ppl don't fuck this up.

I was exposed to this, and set up a structure to avoid FIRPTA (create a tax paying resident entity), but then again, I have nothing to hide and enjoy paying my taxes in the US as they're generally low.

it's a great system, canada should do something very similar. they have a tax on the way in, but you can also tax on the way out if the owner isn't a tax paying resident.

you can then go further and increase property taxes on empty properties (something I don't mind as they are removed from being a productive asset, and are therefore inefficient) or you could even just jack up property taxes for all and offer a rebate based on a number of factors, such as taxable income on your return, or age (would heavily tax students owning $31M properties, but would avoid taxing retirees, if you meet rebate criteria, you don't pay taxes up front just net them so no cash flow difference).

there are so many tools at the disposal of the government / CRA to automatically collect taxes / impose taxes whilst ensuring tax paying residents don't get burdened... but smart thinking isn't the strong point of politicians, nor is protecting the interest of tax paying voters in BC.
yeah Canada seems behind compare to other countries in terms of tax and these kinda stuff.

also they're not very good at infrastructures in general.
Old 07-31-2016, 03:36 PM   #7447
I help report spam so I got this! <--

Thanked 1,215 Times in 535 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Digitalis View Post
Comes into thread for 5 years or so bashing vancouver saying his utopia city in europe destroys vancouver yet wont EVER say where he actually is living now so that people can pull real numbers to ever compare.
I believe dude mentioned he's living in UK a few times.
Nlkko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2016, 07:27 PM   #7448
RS has made me the bitter person i am today!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hondaracer View Post
The fire separations/building code should make it so it's the same as any other unit in the building I would think
I'd be more worried about rats making their way up
ImportPsycho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2016, 10:31 PM   #7449

Thanked 9,821 Times in 3,902 Posts
Quote:
everyone's basket that they look for is different. For me, i've found a place I can live the rest of my life in that fulfills my basket of desire
where's that?
twitchyzero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2016, 10:36 PM   #7450

Thanked 9,821 Times in 3,902 Posts
skype/facetime can only do so much once your parents starts getting old

cultural differences i guess
twitchyzero is offline   Reply With Quote