REVscene - Vancouver Automotive Forum

Welcome to the REVscene Automotive Forum forums.

Registration is Free!You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today! The banners on the left side and below do not show for registered users!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   REVscene Automotive Forum > Automotive Chat > Vancouver Off-Topic / Current Events

Vancouver Off-Topic / Current Events The off-topic forum for Vancouver, funnies, non-auto centered discussions, WORK SAFE. While the rules are more relaxed here, there are still rules. Please refer to sticky thread in this forum.

Old 04-22-2021, 12:46 PM   #18301
My homepage has been set to RS

Thanked 2,769 Times in 708 Posts
Does anyone know if the new mortgage stress test rate of 5.25% applies to ONLY <uninsured mortgages>?

From all the literature I've been reading, it only talks about <uninsured mortgages>, it doesn't say anything about <insured mortgages>

Does that mean the <insured mortgages> will stay at 4.79% for the stress test?
Advertisement
PeanutButter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2021, 01:01 PM   #18302
14 dolla balla aint got nothing on me!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hondaracer View Post
So my family GP makes like 145k I think last time I looked

Say her Husband is also a doctor and makes a little more than she does, 200k

345k dual household income is pretty substantial, and I doubt they would be looking at 3-4m homes lol..

You’re talking about business owners, CEO, etc. When you’re getting into these prices, not just two people with “good jobs”
$345K after or before tax?
The average tax for those high earners are nearly 35-45%

My Buyer / Seller Rating
http://www.revscene.net/forums/60152...o-6-0-0-a.html
Y2K_o__o is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2021, 01:29 PM   #18303
Where's my RS Christmas Lobster?!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Y2K_o__o View Post
$345K after or before tax?
The average tax for those high earners are nearly 35-45%
Also for physicians important to distinguish between what they bill and what they take home. Overhead is typically 25-30% unless your specialty is wholly hospital based.

Also the student debt ($80K tuition + living costs above and beyond undergrad/grad school).

The tax one is tricky, most physicians incorporate and the majority of billings goes into the corporation, but yes at the end of the day they’re still looking at 35-45% overall tax rate.
Old 04-22-2021, 01:29 PM   #18304
Performance Moderator

Thanked 15,623 Times in 5,179 Posts
Quote:
So my family GP makes like 145k I think last time I looked

Say her Husband is also a doctor and makes a little more than she does, 200k

345k dual household income is pretty substantial, and I doubt they would be looking at 3-4m homes lol..

You’re talking about business owners, CEO, etc. When you’re getting into these prices, not just two people with “good jobs”
Your doctor is doggin it if they only make 145k... my GP is only working part-time on his way to retirement and he made 350k himself on the 2020 BC Government report!
68style is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 04-22-2021, 01:50 PM   #18305
I have named my kids VIC and VLS

Thanked 14,412 Times in 5,678 Posts
Dunno? I haven’t looked in a few years but maybe that year she was off on maternity or somthing as I know she’s had a few kids since I’ve been with her. She was probably late 30’s early 40’s when I first got on with her
Old 04-22-2021, 01:52 PM   #18306

Honestly the difference between 345k before or after tax weirdly enough doesn’t push you through to that next segment of housing etc. Imo lol..
Old 04-22-2021, 03:10 PM   #18307
i like gifs

Thanked 7,785 Times in 2,695 Posts
You know the entire userbase is getting old when we go from talking about NOS and Integra Girl to speculating on the salaries of people able to afford detached homes that we can't
Ch28 is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 04-22-2021, 03:20 PM   #18308
I contribute to threads in the offtopic forum

Our condo water damage deductible went from 50k ->250k -> 350k in the last 3 years. This is getting stupid and fucking corrupt. Brb paying more for a insurance for a 550sqft condo than people with detached homes.
BlackV62K2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2021, 03:26 PM   #18309

Thanked 2,188 Times in 969 Posts
Keep in mind that the vast majority of detached homes in East Van have rental income - $2-4k/mo of it. Even most duplexes have at least an unauthorised suite. That offsets a sizeable chunk of the mortgage (it's more than a third of it for me). It's only West of Main that we see detached homes without suites or very small suites as the norm (The Cambridge one that sold for $3m+ is unusual for East Van)

On a typical East Van detached home with 2 suites we're really talking about someone carrying $1.5-2m in mortgage after rent (and not including whatever downpayment they have). That's not bad for a high earner IMO.
Old 04-22-2021, 04:32 PM   #18310
linguistic ninja

Thanked 3,403 Times in 1,242 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by supafamous View Post
Keep in mind that the vast majority of detached homes in East Van have rental income - $2-4k/mo of it. Even most duplexes have at least an unauthorised suite. That offsets a sizeable chunk of the mortgage (it's more than a third of it for me). It's only West of Main that we see detached homes without suites or very small suites as the norm (The Cambridge one that sold for $3m+ is unusual for East Van)

On a typical East Van detached home with 2 suites we're really talking about someone carrying $1.5-2m in mortgage after rent (and not including whatever downpayment they have). That's not bad for a high earner IMO.
Nothing against you but I'm sick of hearing this. Yes so many high earners want to come home from their high-earning and presumably high-stress/long-hour job and deal with their 2nd job of being an amateur landlord. And we wonder why there's such a brain drain of millennials out of this city.

Having fuck you money should give you options, not tie you down in this fucked up gig-economy we have going on.

Still a card carrying member of the SFC :)
CivicBlues is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 04-22-2021, 04:42 PM   #18311
Performance Moderator

Quote:
Dunno? I haven’t looked in a few years but maybe that year she was off on maternity or somthing as I know she’s had a few kids since I’ve been with her. She was probably late 30’s early 40’s when I first got on with her

I read your post as "when I first got with her"... really tee'd it up with the "since I've been with her"... was getting ready to give you a resounding my man
This post thanked by:
Old 04-22-2021, 05:06 PM   #18312
Willing to sell body for a few minutes on RS

Thanked 31,202 Times in 7,174 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by CivicBlues View Post
Nothing against you but I'm sick of hearing this. Yes so many high earners want to come home from their high-earning and presumably high-stress/long-hour job and deal with their 2nd job of being an amateur landlord. And we wonder why there's such a brain drain of millennials out of this city.

Having fuck you money should give you options, not tie you down in this fucked up gig-economy we have going on.
Agreed. If you are lucky/hardworking enough to have a 6 figure job x2, you shouldn't normalize or try and justify the bullshit that you have to deal with to live the life of an average middle class person 20 years ago. Working 60 hours a week isn't reasonable, or a good life. Busting your ass to be at the top of your career shouldn't leave you broke after you pay your bills. Success is useless if it doesn't offer you the fruits of your labour. Not everyone deserves a mansion, but everyone deserves a home, and that includes the guy that pours the coffees, the guy that mops the floors at the hospital, and they shouldn't have to choose between that and eating healthy food, or being able to pay for their bus pass to get to work.
I go back to the fact that no one should be able to own homes as an investment, especially those that don't even live here. I'm not just talking about the luxury of a single family home, but condos and such. The distribution of wealth is a problem. The generational wealth, especially from families who have done nothing for it but be lucky with where they have lived, is a problem. People say that a handout is motivation for people to not work for their success, to not try and move forward, but the truth is the narrowing opportunity for success is far more demotivating.
Life shouldn't be a fuckin grind. Hard work and intelligence should be rewarded in all sectors of life, as all of them have proven important to making a place worth living. We will be a safer, more thriving society as a result.
Westopher is correct.
Quote:
Originally Posted by fsy82 View Post
seems like you got a dick up your ass well..get that checked
Quote:
Originally Posted by punkwax View Post
Well.. I’d hate to be the first to say it, but Westopher is correct.
westopher is online now   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
This post FAILED by:
Old 04-22-2021, 05:45 PM   #18313
Rs has made me the woman i am today!

Thanked 1,749 Times in 907 Posts
^nah mate it's canadia only the finest of BMW's for VPD and waterfront hotels for the homeless
JDMDreams is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 04-22-2021, 07:35 PM   #18314
in the butt

Thanked 3,255 Times in 1,192 Posts
Quote:

People constantly talk about being landlord is a nightmare, its not.

I have 3 tenants over the last 2 years, the only thing ive had to do is replace a toilet once (they were obvs banging on it and cracked the tank), paint touch ups / sink unclogging during turn over, and a probbaly a half dozen emails to strata over X and Y that sorted them selves.
One of them even cleaned up the leaky oil from the previous tenant for me, i told him to take off 100$ from his rent because i did not waste 2hrs of my life dealing with it.

Originally Posted by ilovebacon
Does anyone have a pair of 25 pounds one-inch hole for sale at a reasonable price?
donk. is online now   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 04-22-2021, 09:56 PM   #18315
Performance Moderator

Well... lucky you? Glad you had a great experience but that doesn’t make it the rule or standard.. and part of what they’re saying isn’t about having good tenants, it’s about coming home and other people living on your property and never feeling like it’s your own place to do whatever.
This post thanked by:
Old 04-23-2021, 06:35 AM   #18316
linguistic ninja

Thanked 3,403 Times in 1,242 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by donk. View Post
People constantly talk about being landlord is a nightmare, its not.

I have 3 tenants over the last 2 years, the only thing ive had to do is replace a toilet once (they were obvs banging on it and cracked the tank), paint touch ups / sink unclogging during turn over, and a probbaly a half dozen emails to strata over X and Y that sorted them selves.
One of them even cleaned up the leaky oil from the previous tenant for me, i told him to take off 100$ from his rent because i did not waste 2hrs of my life dealing with it.
Sure, being a landlord isn't a "hard" job per se but it can be a time suck. If you're putting in 80+ hours a week as a corporate lawyer or whatever your free time is precious. At what point is the marginal return not worth it? Same reason I don't want to drive Uber or deliver Amazon packages on top of my 9-5 (7-6 now- FU covid) even though I can earn some extra scratch.

Still a card carrying member of the SFC :)
CivicBlues is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2021, 07:40 AM   #18317
RS has made me the bitter person i am today!

Thanked 1,726 Times in 546 Posts
any thoughts on the Townhouse market in Vancouver, particularly in South Vancouver? Do you see prices to continue to go up or will it be the first to sink if the market "corrects"?

We've been looking around the Marpole area and new pre-sale units are going for 1.3-1.5 mil. The location is not the most ideal, but at least it is within a short distance from most hotspot.
bcedhk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2021, 09:22 AM   #18318

Thanked 2,188 Times in 969 Posts
https://vm.tiktok.com/ZMexnhAuT/ Real estate right now.
This post thanked by:
Old 04-23-2021, 09:50 AM   #18319

Quote:
Originally Posted by PeanutButter View Post
Does anyone know if the new mortgage stress test rate of 5.25% applies to ONLY <uninsured mortgages>?

From all the literature I've been reading, it only talks about <uninsured mortgages>, it doesn't say anything about <insured mortgages>

Does that mean the <insured mortgages> will stay at 4.79% for the stress test?
EDIT:

I followed up with a couple of mortgage broker contacts, updated stress test rules are for both insured and uninsured.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bcedhk View Post
any thoughts on the Townhouse market in Vancouver, particularly in South Vancouver? Do you see prices to continue to go up or will it be the first to sink if the market "corrects"?

We've been looking around the Marpole area and new pre-sale units are going for 1.3-1.5 mil. The location is not the most ideal, but at least it is within a short distance from most hotspot.
Any townhome 3bdrms and up will remain in demand. This isn't just Vancouver proper, 3bd 15-20yr old townhomes in PoCo are $900,000 now, same time last year they were selling for $650,000.

In the last 2-3 weeks there seems to be less upward pressure on prices so less "swinging for the fences" pricing on the whole. Maybe a lot has to do with the glut of sellers with extensive equity unloading mediocre supply into the market but fact of the matter is location will determine demand. What we used to think of having a Vancouver, Richmond or Burnaby address as "ideal" has extended to the Tri-cities and western valley today. It's unsettling to see markets like Chilliwack exploding with demand.

"Harvey Belafonte ain't black. He's just a good looking white guy dipped in caramel. " - Archie Bunker

Last edited by Bonka; 04-25-2021 at 06:50 PM.
Bonka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2021, 10:35 AM   #18320
in the butt

Thanked 3,255 Times in 1,192 Posts
Quote:
Sure, being a landlord isn't a "hard" job per se but it can be a time suck. If you're putting in 80+ hours a week as a corporate lawyer or whatever your free time is precious. At what point is the marginal return not worth it? Same reason I don't want to drive Uber or deliver Amazon packages on top of my 9-5 (7-6 now- FU covid) even though I can earn some extra scratch.
People who work 80hr weeks choose to do so, if your addicted to cash moneys, thats fine, just dont complain about it

Move out of vancouver, stop living over your means, learn to save instead of spend

Its a blessing to live in vancouver, or anywhere in canada, regardless of your income / housing situation.
Like someone else said, there is a serious wealth distribution problem on this earth, be overly grateful for what you have, and where you live

Originally Posted by ilovebacon
Does anyone have a pair of 25 pounds one-inch hole for sale at a reasonable price?
donk. is online now   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 04-23-2021, 10:41 AM   #18321

When prices were a little more palatable I don’t really get the argument against being a landlord with a basemen suite etc.

If you’re paying 700-1 mill for a condo, you’re paying strata, etc. And you could still be surrounded by morons

When detached were still 1.2-1.5 you could have your own property, take the income from the suite to make up for the difference, and actually get to choose who your Neighbor is.

I completely agree that people shouldn’t have to be relying on one or multiple suites in order to live in a detached home. But in terms of what you potentially have to deal with VS “being free” in a condo that has 10 units on the same floor. I wouldn’t say the freedom or “burden” of having a tenant is far greater than living in a condo building or townhome where you have zero control over who your Neighbors are or what they do

And yea, I get you don’t just find 200-400k to make up that purchase price difference
Old 04-23-2021, 05:29 PM   #18322
I Will not Admit my Addiction to RS

It's ironic seeing listings for $2M+ houses and they proudly advertise "renters suite" or "mortgage helpers" to help pay for the house.
noclue is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 04-23-2021, 05:53 PM   #18323

Thanked 31,202 Times in 7,174 Posts
Quote:
When prices were a little more palatable I don’t really get the argument against being a landlord with a basemen suite etc.
I agree with this. If the extra work was putting you ahead, so you could retire earlier, pay for that gt4, take that Europe vacation, stack cash for your kids education. Yeah that's smart and worth it. If it's just to get by? Fuck that, I'll stick to the shoebox.
Westopher is correct.
Quote:
Originally Posted by fsy82 View Post
seems like you got a dick up your ass well..get that checked
Quote:
Originally Posted by punkwax View Post
Well.. I’d hate to be the first to say it, but Westopher is correct.
westopher is online now   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 04-23-2021, 05:59 PM   #18324
I *heart* Revscene.net very Muchie

Quote:
Originally Posted by westopher View Post
I agree with this. If the extra work was putting you ahead, so you could retire earlier, pay for that gt4, take that Europe vacation, stack cash for your kids education. Yeah that's smart and worth it. If it's just to get by? Fuck that, I'll stick to the shoebox.
100%

It should be a bonus, not a requirement in order to service your mortgage

My Feedback

Blah™
Hakkaboy is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 04-23-2021, 06:40 PM   #18325

Thanked 3,099 Times in 1,195 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by noclue View Post
It's ironic seeing listings for $2M+ houses and they proudly advertise "renters suite" or "mortgage helpers" to help pay for the house.
I get what you’re saying, but if your house didn’t have a suite, depending on the neighbourhood, it could also make it harder to sell.
Honest to fucking Christ the easiest way to get a married woman in the mood is clean the house and do the laundry.....I've been with the same girl almost 17 years, ask me how I know. - quasi
Gumby is offline   Reply With Quote