REVscene - Vancouver Automotive Forum

Welcome to the REVscene Automotive Forum forums.

Registration is Free!You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today! The banners on the left side and below do not show for registered users!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   REVscene Automotive Forum > Automotive Chat > Vancouver Off-Topic / Current Events

Vancouver Off-Topic / Current Events The off-topic forum for Vancouver, funnies, non-auto centered discussions, WORK SAFE. While the rules are more relaxed here, there are still rules. Please refer to sticky thread in this forum.

Old 10-25-2021, 04:03 PM   #19551
My homepage has been set to RS

Thanked 2,752 Times in 700 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Euro7r View Post
I've gotten to the point in life to where I'm really thinking what the purpose of life is. Is it really to grind your ass 24/7 to pay off a mortgage til your like 55-60 and then what? Moving away from parents made me think, what the hell are my parents going to be doing with a house with two people living (it gets lonely and quiet). Some may say they can downsize and take the money to do things (they don't like spending money, super simple life). The parents house eventually one day will be passed down to me, I have put some thought into consolidating and getting aa more bigger house and live together with parents. I can see them, they can take care of my kids when I have kids, I can go buy the Porsche LOL, life is good LMAO.
Interestingly, I thought about this exact thing. For my Indian friends, this is commonplace. They have a huge house and families live together.

I ran this idea past my wife.. She pretty much told me to pound sand. I guess I wouldn't want to live with her parents either... But, I would love to live with my parents.

Though, i'm wondering if they would even want to live with me?? lol
Advertisement
PeanutButter is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 10-25-2021, 06:08 PM   #19552
I *heart* Revscene.net very Muchie

Thanked 1,729 Times in 895 Posts
I've always wondered how do you bang if you live with 30 people, but then clearly they are banging based on how many people they have
JDMDreams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2021, 06:37 PM   #19553
Willing to sell body for a few minutes on RS

Thanked 3,074 Times in 1,184 Posts
It’s much easier for your wife to live with her parents as opposed to her in-laws. If she gets mad at her parents, at least they’re still family so they will eventually make up. But if she gets mad at your parents, it will be awkward as hell!

Remember: happy wife = happy life!
Honest to fucking Christ the easiest way to get a married woman in the mood is clean the house and do the laundry.....I've been with the same girl almost 17 years, ask me how I know. - quasi
Gumby is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 10-25-2021, 06:50 PM   #19554
Rs has made me the woman i am today!

Thanked 4,532 Times in 1,519 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gumby View Post
It’s much easier for your wife to live with her parents as opposed to her in-laws. If she gets mad at her parents, at least they’re still family so they will eventually make up. But if she gets mad at your parents, it will be awkward as hell!

Remember: happy wife = happy life!
Not married, but noticed this in a lot of my past experiences. Typically my s/o is gonna have some problem or whatever with my parents, but I'm not gonna have a single problem with her parents.

???? Do women just not like in-laws lol

Sent from my SM-G781W using Tapatalk
|| RIP 02 E46 M3 | Carbon Black | 6MT ||
BIC_BAWS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2021, 07:06 PM   #19555
Revscene.net has a homepage?!

Anybody live in any of Richmonds River Green buildings by Aspac? I don't know anybody that knows anybody that lives in these. I'm wondering if this is a good place to live/own and how well they are managed. If they are worth the 65c per sq ft maintenance, maintenance is like another mortgage payment.
Old 10-25-2021, 07:22 PM   #19556
I contribute to threads in the offtopic forum

Thanked 2,171 Times in 961 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by BIC_BAWS View Post
Not married, but noticed this in a lot of my past experiences. Typically my s/o is gonna have some problem or whatever with my parents, but I'm not gonna have a single problem with her parents.

Women have more problems with in laws b/c of different expectations of men and women. My MIL would largely never dare criticise me b/c I'm a man but she is plenty comfortable providing "feedback" to my wife as is my mom to my wife. Despite me being the cook in the relationship my MIL will tell my wife to go home when I get home b/c she needs to "take care of me" (maybe she really means sex). My in-laws have had to work on breaking the habit of thanking me for paying for dinner when we take them out even though it's my wife who invited them out - again, the man is the MAN.
This post thanked by:
Old 10-25-2021, 07:43 PM   #19557
I *heart* Revscene.net very Muchie

Thanked 1,729 Times in 895 Posts
Welcome to China? Signs in Chinese, no smoking or hanging clothes on fire sprinklers that's what I saw when I went to my friends place behind metro

Quote:
Originally Posted by GIZZ View Post
Anybody live in any of Richmonds River Green buildings by Aspac? I don't know anybody that knows anybody that lives in these. I'm wondering if this is a good place to live/own and how well they are managed. If they are worth the 65c per sq ft maintenance, maintenance is like another mortgage payment.
JDMDreams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2021, 09:18 PM   #19558
RS has made me the bitter person i am today!

Thanked 1,057 Times in 429 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by BIC_BAWS View Post

Sent from my SM-G781W using Tapatalk
My wife gets along with my parents very well. Better than i get along with my own parents. But since weve lived away from parents for over 15years now we wouldnt mind living with my parents if we had to in the future. Theres is alot of good that comes with living with the grandparents (babysitting, cooking ect.) but obviously there is some bad. In asian culture its kinda known that the kids would take care of the parents when they grow old. Ive been picturing myself and my parents getting a huge house together and they would live in the smaller suite while my family would take the bigger one.
RiceIntegraRS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2021, 06:15 AM   #19559

Thanked 2,171 Times in 961 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tapioca View Post
CIBC says that down payments gifted by parents average 340K in Vancouver:

https://www.ctvnews.ca/business/pare...port-1.5637498
I haven't seen the actual report but it looks like the headlines are being VERY misleading about what's actually happening. Only about 30% of people are getting gifts and, of those, the average is $82k. So basically it's upper middle class and rich people who are helping their kids and not a bunch of working class folks going deep into debt to fund their kids.

$82k on average for upper middle class/rich people ain't really that much money - these folks are likely in their 50's/60's so their homes likely are paid off and they have a fair bit of savings. Not really a surprise then that they estimate only 5.5% of parents went into debt to help their kids. Also, I bet the underlying data will show that the really rich (the 1%) are giving massive gifts - like buying the entire condo - which totally skews the data as well. I bet the median gift is significantly lower one you exclude the really rich from the data.

So the summary is that, yeah, parents are helping but it's almost certainly the really rich doing most of it. Working and middle class parents don't need to feel bad for not helping their kids.

Edit: If anyone has access to the original report please point to it - I can't seem to find it and there seems to be nothing but bad math happening here.

Edit: https://biv.com/article/2021/10/vanc...k-average-cibc - BIV actually writes about it correctly - they state that of the people who got gifts that the average was $82k.
This post thanked by:
Old 10-26-2021, 06:50 AM   #19560

Thanked 4,807 Times in 1,767 Posts
Now that my Mother In Law's place is sold and she's looking to move to the Island, my wife is testing the waters of "Why don't we look for something bigger with a suite for her", I know she's mostly joking, but If I said yes she'd want to do it in a heartbeat.

Gotta admit, the allure of getting a much bigger house & property, be mortgage free, and have free child care is pretty tempting.

I told my wife the only way I'd consider it is if we found a property that had room to build a sizeable shop with a car-lift haha.
There was a 50 acre property in Cowichan Bay that just sold for 2mil with a massive ranch style house, I could totally go for something like that.
2014 F150 5.0L XTR 4x4

A vehicle for all occasions
Great68 is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 10-26-2021, 07:16 AM   #19561
My homepage has been set to RS

Thanked 2,752 Times in 700 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Great68 View Post
Now that my Mother In Law's place is sold and she's looking to move to the Island, my wife is testing the waters of "Why don't we look for something bigger with a suite for her", I know she's mostly joking, but If I said yes she'd want to do it in a heartbeat.

Gotta admit, the allure of getting a much bigger house & property, be mortgage free, and have free child care is pretty tempting.

I told my wife the only way I'd consider it is if we found a property that had room to build a sizeable shop with a car-lift haha.
There was a 50 acre property in Cowichan Bay that just sold for 2mil with a massive ranch style house, I could totally go for something like that.
I know a guy who did this and I can't remember but he said shops/garages have a height restriction, but he said the city actually counts the height from the highest point in the dirt (or is it foundation?), so he built a 3ft slope into the garage and actually gained an extra 3ft for the rest of the garage so he could fit his car lift in place.

I thought that was pretty clever.
PeanutButter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2021, 08:22 AM   #19562
Rs has made me the man i am today!

Thanked 2,224 Times in 1,026 Posts
We are looking to add some soundproofing between our main floor and the basement.
So some backstory: when we bought the house it wasn't that loud but I think we've made some mistakes on our rennovation upstairs and are now trying to remedy it while reno'ing the basement.

The house had some cheap 12mm laminate in the living room, and two layers of tiles in the kitchen and entrance area(the last owners just tiled over the old stuff) when we bought it and was quite worn. We had pulled all of it out and installed 8mm vinyl because of it's waterproof qualities. The flooring guy came and told as to use a cheaper underlayer cause the vinyl is too thin and otherwise it would be "too bouncy" and feels really weird.

We went with his suggestion and I've noticed that sound transfer from upstairs to the basement was worse than before. I guess the change from 12mm laminate (denser composite wood planks) to 8mm vinyl (less dense plastic) had a lot to do with it, and the underlayer was just not heavy enough. Big mistake.

We are going with a different contractor(he's a friend) for the basement for a myriad of reasons and I asked him about soundproofing. He introduced resilient channels to me and either using a 5/8 drywall for the ceiling or double up some 1/2 drywall, also some mineral/stone wool insulation between the joists. my research shows me the resilient channels work and are exactly what I want. Extra insulation between the joists are hit and miss. I'm also wondering if the heavier duty soundproof drywall is worth the cost or should I just go with just regular heavy duty fireproof drywall?

What have you guys done that worked well or didn't work at all?

PS: Either my parents are moving in the basement or we are renting it out. For our sanity and privacy we'd be doing the soundproofing.
EvoFire is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2021, 08:24 AM   #19563
RS controls my life!

Thanked 1,123 Times in 179 Posts
I grew up in Nanaimo and long said that I'd never go back, but every time I go home to visit my mother it just feels so much more relaxed, so maybe one day...
immorality is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2021, 09:28 AM   #19564
I have named my kids VIC and VLS

Thanked 14,346 Times in 5,651 Posts
EvoFire, IMO both the rocksol type insulation as well as the sound proof drywall are worth it.

The sound proof drywall is expensive af though, it almost tripled the cost of the ceiling drywall in my basement suite so we ended up only using it in the bedroom. I wasn’t overly concerned with the rest of it as I used brand new 5/8” tongue and groove sheathing down over my entire main floor as I leveled my floor joists. We then have a 3/4” engineered hardwood which again minimizes sound transfer

I’d say as well, to properly sound proof using the sound proof drywall you really need to box in lights etc. as in, drywall the section of joist where your pot lights are etc. otherwise if kind of defeats the purpose if you have a 4-6” hole in the ceiling in the middle of the drywall, that’s just an avenue for sound

IMO given the materials you’re using on the main floor I’d either be redoing that and using resilient channel in the basement, or completely blowing your load on the sound proofing in the basement. IMO regardless of the underlay when you’re using laminate you’re gonna get sound transfer, especially with floating floors
Old 10-26-2021, 10:13 AM   #19565

Thanked 3,731 Times in 1,322 Posts
Rockwool does a good job selling their product but sound wise almost no benefit. It seems like it would be better because it's a denser product but if you compare STC testing reports between the different products you'll see almost no difference. Rockwool is also hard to get right now, earlier in the yera we had a lead time of 6 months on all Rockwool products,not sure where it's at now. Whenever Rockwool is specified I do everything I can to convince the architect to change it to fiberglass offering them big cost savings. Generally speaking Rockwool is between 2 to 5 times the cost of fiberglass depending on the type.

The soundproof drywall like quietrock or slient FX or whatever their calling it today, good product but price prohibitive. Almost never see it in projects and when you do it's almost always deleted for cost savings because the price is ridiculous. If you're going to use it make sure you use the puddy pads and the board specific caulking these sundry items add up though.

“The world ain't all sunshine and rainbows. It's a very mean and nasty place... and I don´t care how tough you are, it will beat you to your knees and keep you there permanently, if you let it. You, me or nobody, is gonna hit as hard as life. But ain't about how hard you hit... It's about how hard you can get hit, and keep moving forward... how much you can take, and keep moving forward. That´s how winning is done. Now, if you know what you worth, go out and get what you worth.” - Rocky Balboa

Last edited by quasi; 10-26-2021 at 10:23 AM.
quasi is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 10-26-2021, 10:15 AM   #19566

Yea two layers with the resiliant channel may be cheaper

Given my ceiling height I was forced to use the sound proof, couldn’t give up that 2” lol..
Old 10-26-2021, 10:29 AM   #19567

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hondaracer View Post
Yea two layers with the resiliant channel may be cheaper

Given my ceiling height I was forced to use the sound proof, couldn’t give up that 2” lol..
Yeah it probably is cheaper, you're obviously paying more for the labour but saving on materials. It comes down to space sometimes, in your case if you need those inches not much you can do.

Labour in general is up right now, if you're not able to do it yourself like Hondaracer expect to bend over and grab them ankles hah. I hate drywall so much I'd pay someone to hang mine and I work for a framing and drywall contractor haha.

“The world ain't all sunshine and rainbows. It's a very mean and nasty place... and I don´t care how tough you are, it will beat you to your knees and keep you there permanently, if you let it. You, me or nobody, is gonna hit as hard as life. But ain't about how hard you hit... It's about how hard you can get hit, and keep moving forward... how much you can take, and keep moving forward. That´s how winning is done. Now, if you know what you worth, go out and get what you worth.” - Rocky Balboa
Old 10-26-2021, 10:35 AM   #19568

Yea I didn’t actually do it, my brother in law was basically time and materials, they do good drywall work

I couldn’t care less to touch it, I’ll do everything else but drywall, fuck that
Old 10-26-2021, 01:35 PM   #19569

Quote:
Originally Posted by quasi View Post
Rockwool does a good job selling their product but sound wise almost no benefit. It seems like it would be better because it's a denser product but if you compare STC testing reports between the different products you'll see almost no difference. Rockwool is also hard to get right now, earlier in the yera we had a lead time of 6 months on all Rockwool products,not sure where it's at now. Whenever Rockwool is specified I do everything I can to convince the architect to change it to fiberglass offering them big cost savings. Generally speaking Rockwool is between 2 to 5 times the cost of fiberglass depending on the type.

The soundproof drywall like quietrock or slient FX or whatever their calling it today, good product but price prohibitive. Almost never see it in projects and when you do it's almost always deleted for cost savings because the price is ridiculous. If you're going to use it make sure you use the puddy pads and the board specific caulking these sundry items add up though.

What would your recommendation be? Your anecdote isn't the first one I've read that it doesn't offer a whole lot, but my reasoning is it's better than nothing.

I would love to have a better solution that won't break the bank, that much (I know it's gonna break the bank)
Old 10-26-2021, 01:40 PM   #19570

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hondaracer View Post
EvoFire, IMO both the rocksol type insulation as well as the sound proof drywall are worth it.

The sound proof drywall is expensive af though, it almost tripled the cost of the ceiling drywall in my basement suite so we ended up only using it in the bedroom. I wasn’t overly concerned with the rest of it as I used brand new 5/8” tongue and groove sheathing down over my entire main floor as I leveled my floor joists. We then have a 3/4” engineered hardwood which again minimizes sound transfer

I’d say as well, to properly sound proof using the sound proof drywall you really need to box in lights etc. as in, drywall the section of joist where your pot lights are etc. otherwise if kind of defeats the purpose if you have a 4-6” hole in the ceiling in the middle of the drywall, that’s just an avenue for sound

IMO given the materials you’re using on the main floor I’d either be redoing that and using resilient channel in the basement, or completely blowing your load on the sound proofing in the basement. IMO regardless of the underlay when you’re using laminate you’re gonna get sound transfer, especially with floating floors
Redoing the floors upstairs isn't an option, and tbh the area is a lot bigger and it wasn't an option to begin with. I wish I knew this was a problem before hand and would have tried some more mitigation techniques upstairs.

We had poured some cement and some leveling and it should have helped but not the whole floor is covered. The other thing is we shouldn't have been fixated on the waterproof-ness of the vinyl and instead went with the thicker laminate and heavier underlayer. Being a first time major reno I chalk it up to a lesson learnt for later.

Right now my plan for mitigation upstairs is to add a sheet of mass loaded vinyl under the area rug for the living room, and some bass traps hoping to capture some of the noise that collects in the corners. I'm not sure if that's going to help with conversation seeping through to downstairs though. With the living room being a relative big area I might add some curtains on the windows with help with noise reflections as well.
Old 10-26-2021, 03:53 PM   #19571

Quote:
Originally Posted by EvoFire View Post
What would your recommendation be? Your anecdote isn't the first one I've read that it doesn't offer a whole lot, but my reasoning is it's better than nothing.

I would love to have a better solution that won't break the bank, that much (I know it's gonna break the bank)
Insulation, RC or resilent channel and 2 layers of 5/8" Drywall. That should give you an STC of 59 which is decent.

https://www.homedepot.ca/product/bai...nel/1000165782

Old 10-26-2021, 04:21 PM   #19572

Quote:
Originally Posted by quasi View Post
Insulation, RC or resilent channel and 2 layers of 5/8" Drywall. That should give you an STC of 59 which is decent.

https://www.homedepot.ca/product/bai...nel/1000165782
Pretty much exactly what we are doing except we aren't sure about the sandwich drywall due to ceiling height.

Regular drywall or quietrock?

I am thinking now of doing the insulation between joists, MLV to cover the ceiling before screwing on the RC and then drywall.
Old 10-26-2021, 04:39 PM   #19573

If you don't mind paying for it the quiet rock performs better.

This post thanked by:
Old 10-26-2021, 10:15 PM   #19574

Thanked 1,192 Times in 481 Posts
Sonopan any good?
SSM_DC5 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2021, 12:25 AM   #19575

Thanked 1,601 Times in 543 Posts
I did all that basement stuff sound deadening stuff too and learned a lot. Made some mistakes so hopefully you can learn from me.

If you're worried about IIC you need rez channel for sure. I recommend double drywall with green glue. If you can afford it, Rockwool helps a little for STC going up, but doesnt stop sound from going down for some reason.

You cannot have any gaps such as electrical/lighting boxes, if it's just a regular electrical (non recessed lighting) box, I would just throw a bunch of rockwool above it and it might help a little. Honestly, trying to manage the IIC when you can't change your floor underlayment is gonna be a pain in the butt.
snowball is online now   Reply With Quote