REVscene - Vancouver Automotive Forum

Welcome to the REVscene Automotive Forum forums.

Registration is Free!You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today! The banners on the left side and below do not show for registered users!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   REVscene Automotive Forum > Automotive Chat > Vancouver Off-Topic / Current Events

Vancouver Off-Topic / Current Events The off-topic forum for Vancouver, funnies, non-auto centered discussions, WORK SAFE. While the rules are more relaxed here, there are still rules. Please refer to sticky thread in this forum.

Old 06-17-2022, 03:26 PM   #22726
I *heart* Revscene.net very Muchie

Thanked 1,729 Times in 895 Posts
I never said there's no inflation for land lord. That's why I said gross $90k. I mean gerbs can sell his place and rent but not pay rent till he gets evicted, and live for free ??? Profit all of his paycheck can go into stonks
Advertisement
JDMDreams is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 06-18-2022, 09:10 AM   #22727
Rs has made me the man i am today!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gerbs View Post
)
Total cost to own: $2,895 @ 3.2% Variable - $3,295 @ 4.75% Fixed - $2,501 @ 1.49% Covid Dip

^
Can someone provide a better analysis how sonick could be correct about buying is better in the current climate?
When I do my analysis I break out the principal and interest portions of my mortgage payments. Interest is a cost but principal is not, I'm putting that back into my own pocket
waddy41 is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 06-18-2022, 09:41 AM   #22728
RS.net, helping ugly ppl have sex since 2001

Thanked 7,197 Times in 2,414 Posts
Yeah the big thing that was missing is the principle you are paying in the mortgage payment is not a cost at all, it is entirely going back into your own equity PLUS the appreciation on it over time. Which then you can take as value into buying your next home.

Rent payments are 100% cost, you have nothing to show for it at the end.

The 4444 scenario was counting on the housing market completely crashing and erasing equity while the stock market continue to climb. Housing prices are indeed going down these days so as mentioned the gap between buying and renting is less vs recent years, however the stock market is also in a decline.
2010 Toyota Rav4 Limited V6 - Wifey's Daily Driver
2009 BMW 128i - Daily Driver
2007 Toyota Rav4 Sport V6 - Sold
1999 Mazda Miata - Sold
2003 Mazda Protege5 - Sold
1987 BMW 325is - Sold
1990 Mazda Miata - Sold

100% Buy and Sell Feedback
sonick is online now   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 06-18-2022, 01:21 PM   #22729
RS.net, helping ugly ppl have sex since 2001

Thanked 3,840 Times in 1,484 Posts
^ My housing bubble buddy (two extremely high salary family who rent), is highly invested in funds which go up during a recession/crash. He been riding huge waves the last 10 years waiting for his perfect scenario… maybe he will buy one day… one day. His stocks are doing extremely well right now.
This post thanked by:
Old 06-19-2022, 09:52 PM   #22730
My homepage has been set to RS

Thanked 2,755 Times in 701 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by hud 91gt View Post
^ My housing bubble buddy (two extremely high salary family who rent), is highly invested in funds which go up during a recession/crash. He been riding huge waves the last 10 years waiting for his perfect scenario… maybe he will buy one day… one day. His stocks are doing extremely well right now.
You really gonna not tell us his positions bro? Come on!!!
PeanutButter is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2022, 05:10 AM   #22731
I subscribe to the Fight Club ONLY

Thanked 8,725 Times in 3,141 Posts
Lots of these high end houses in Richmond (3m+) seem to be slowing down quite a bit. But I doubt they’ll drop down to 2.5 or something… even with the recession coming I don’t think it’ll crash like that.
Badhobz is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2022, 08:53 AM   #22732
RS has made me the bitter person i am today!

Thanked 2,422 Times in 918 Posts
Yeah, I feel like people won't sell at a loss unless they have to. I don't think anyone will have issues with renewals until 2027 and beyond. Seems like everyone locked it in cheap.

All the new builds were built 2016 - 2021, so they got to lock in a renewal or new before the hikes.

2022 Velo N
2005 S2000
2007 CSX Type-S [Sold]
2002 RSX-S [T-Boned]
Gerbs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2022, 10:38 AM   #22733
Need my Daily Fix of RS

So in this market with a downturn and rising rates, would you invest your cash and try to snag something cheap or pay down your mortgage and free up some breathing room.

Is cash still king since credit is harder to get? Or Is cash is trash due to inflation?
G0rilla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2022, 10:44 AM   #22734
Performance Moderator

Thanked 15,462 Times in 5,119 Posts
#notafinancialadvisor but I don’t think paying down the mortgage makes sense unless the rate is higher than what you’re able to return with your money. Where that cutoff point is, is different for everyone… it’s close right now. 4.5-5% is on the upper end of what you can expect to return from mildly aggressive investment I think.
68style is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2022, 10:57 AM   #22735

https://www.bnnbloomberg.ca/inflatio...1983-1.1780489

Quote:
Wednesday’s report will incorporate used car prices for the first time, and will give more weight to gasoline in the basket of goods and services, under a methodological change announced earlier this week. Annual price gains hit a three-decade high of 6.8 per cent in April.
Interesting. Why now? You exclude it in the 80's, maybe to reduce worker wage increase demands?

But now is a good time to include it lol? Good I guess? It'd help in wage/inflation demands. Just don't get the BOC thinking right now.

Fuel to justify rate increases? Maybe we are in a recession already, and they just don't want to tell us
subordinate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2022, 11:28 AM   #22736
I have named my kids VIC and VLS

Thanked 14,365 Times in 5,658 Posts
So was up in penticton for the last 4 days doing wine touring and eating/drinking

Man, I dunno if it’s because the weather or just the general financial situation of younger people but it was almost nothing but white hairs everywhere lol. Ecen at the wine village in OK falls there the average age was probably 70+ lol.. everywhere we went it was nothing but elderly which has never been the case once in the last 5-6 years coming here
Old 06-20-2022, 11:36 AM   #22737

Ain't nobody got gas money to drive to wine country. I'll take Walmart cheap liquor and gas down in the States. But the exchange rate doe

I think if you can still get a heloc, get it asap, everyone is already getting approved at way over stress test rate of 5.25% so lending is only gonna get harder, recession, drop in wages? Fired? Rate hikes, and drop in assessed value. So you might want to lock in a house assessment now before the markets crash a lot. This way you have cash available incase anything happens. Type Rs go on repo sales.

Also money is still available if you pay down your heloc Vs mortgage.
Old 06-20-2022, 11:55 AM   #22738
linguistic ninja

Thanked 3,390 Times in 1,233 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hondaracer View Post
So was up in penticton for the last 4 days doing wine touring and eating/drinking

Man, I dunno if it’s because the weather or just the general financial situation of younger people but it was almost nothing but white hairs everywhere lol. Ecen at the wine village in OK falls there the average age was probably 70+ lol.. everywhere we went it was nothing but elderly which has never been the case once in the last 5-6 years coming here
Yeah was out at Mackenzie Room on Saturday and we felt like the youngest people there (we're almost 40).

For those of you that don't know it's a hipster restaurant smack down in front of Oppenheimer Park. I guess many Boomers aren't afraid of teh CrImE!?

disposable income > All. Boomers are YOLO-ing your inheritance trying to wither down that "massive transfer of wealth" that's going to happen any day now. Right? RIGHT???

Still a card carrying member of the SFC :)
CivicBlues is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 06-20-2022, 11:59 AM   #22739

Thanked 7,759 Times in 2,313 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by 68style View Post
#notafinancialadvisor but I don’t think paying down the mortgage makes sense unless the rate is higher than what you’re able to return with your money. Where that cutoff point is, is different for everyone… it’s close right now. 4.5-5% is on the upper end of what you can expect to return from mildly aggressive investment I think.
I'm paying down my mortgage as fast as possible. Dont want to put any more money into stocks for the time being, dont believe that market has hit it's bottom yet. There's no where to get a good return from right now, therefore everything onto the mortgage to save as much on interest there.

Barney Fucking Purple FX35
Brianna - 2008 FX35 - Build Thread
meme405 is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 06-20-2022, 12:38 PM   #22740

Obviously the market has not bottomed out, as long as they keep raising rates it has not bottomed.
Old 06-20-2022, 01:21 PM   #22741
Willing to sell body for a few minutes on RS

Thanked 31,169 Times in 7,158 Posts
I can’t believe how fast it’s hit people. We’ve made some adjustments to spending but they are more due to caution than actually being stressed. Like I said before, the retirement fund is the first to take the hit. Still have to live and enjoy ourselves but many others aren’t so lucky I suppose. Going to be yet another rough couple years. Being an adult sucks lol.
Westopher is correct.
Quote:
Originally Posted by fsy82 View Post
seems like you got a dick up your ass well..get that checked
Quote:
Originally Posted by punkwax View Post
Well.. I’d hate to be the first to say it, but Westopher is correct.
westopher is online now   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 06-20-2022, 01:39 PM   #22742

Thanked 3,240 Times in 1,225 Posts
I was wondering what it was going to take in this city that always seemed to have endless cash. Apparently gas at $2.20 and raising interest rates was it.
MarkyMark is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2022, 02:02 PM   #22743

Thanked 2,755 Times in 701 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by G0rilla View Post
So in this market with a downturn and rising rates, would you invest your cash and try to snag something cheap or pay down your mortgage and free up some breathing room.

Is cash still king since credit is harder to get? Or Is cash is trash due to inflation?
I think cash flow is KING! If you have stable cash flow, then you're always good.

The older you get, the harder it is to go risk on. If you're 45+ I would probably pay down the house. If you're under 40, I would be in the market.

I feel like 45 is the cut off from being risk on to risk off. My thinking is if you're 45 and have nothing, you have 20-25 years to build a decent portfolio for retirement.
PeanutButter is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2022, 03:18 PM   #22744
I contribute to threads in the offtopic forum

Thanked 2,171 Times in 961 Posts
Gotta say, I get a kick out of the descriptions of units for sale in the DTES (all right in the core of the DTES on Hastings)

https://www.rew.ca/properties/401216...erty_click=map

Quote:
Wow! Finally a FREEHOLD opportunity that ticks all the boxes for first-time home-buyers & savvy investors! Central location, excellent returns & still under HOME WARRANTY! Highly sought-after plan w/ NO WASTED SPACE. Bright & spacious 'through unit' w/ OVER-HEIGHT CEILINGS. OVER $10K IN OWNER UPGRADES, custom Murphy Bed, storage & updated washer/dryer. Linear kitchen w/ modern cabinetry & stone counters. Architecturally-stunning courtyard w/ communal terrace, garden plots & glass elevator. Proactive strata. Centrally-located in VIBRANT CHINATOWN/GASTOWN & situated perfectly for the city's highly anticipated Northeast False Creek Plan. INCREDIBLE OPPORTUNITY! Steps to SFU, VFS, Skytrain & the best restaurants & bars. WALK SCORE 98! PETS & RENTALS OK!
https://www.rew.ca/properties/412405...erty_click=map

Quote:
Welcome to Sequel at 138 E Hastings, this wonderful one bedroom apartment situated in the heart of the Downtown East Side comes equipped with a full kitchen, ventless washer dryer combo, and a surprisingly spacious bedroom and living room. Unit 509 faces north and boasts wonderful views of the North Shore mountains. You wont expect this!! With amenities like a rooftop community garden, bike room, and an open courtyard interior... this is what affordability looks like in Vancouver. The unit comes with a rare storage locker included in the purchase. Parking is available to rent in the building. Please call your agent for your private showing today!
https://www.rew.ca/properties/407092...erty_click=map

Quote:
Stunning 1 bed & 1 bath in this PH unit w views of Science World at the Sequel 138 building in Vancouver, offering 442 sq ft of living space with 9 foot ceiling. Located close by vibrant Chinatown, Crosstown, Tinseltown, SFU campus, Strathcona, Gas town & many restaurants. Long windows are letting light peek throughout the unit. Sleek high gloss cabinetry which is nice and high utilizing all the space in this unit, laminate flooring, fridge, microwave, in-suite laundry and stove. Includes 1 secure underground parking, rentals, and pets are allowed. Amenities include a common courtyard equipped with a BBQ, picnic tables, a lovely community garden & a fire pit right outside your door. Perfect for investors or first-time home buyers, book your private showing today!
https://www.rew.ca/properties/411100...erty_click=map

Quote:
Location, location, location! This affordable 1 bdrm home is walking distance to DT, Gastown, Chinatown, Strathcona and Tinseltown. Very convenient. Enjoy the downtown life in your new home with features like; integrated stainless steel blomberg, fridge, washer/dryer, stove & microwave hood/fan combo, high gloss 9 feet of European style cabinetry and modern laminate floors. Ceiling height is 9 feet. You will also find, on the 2nd floor, a courtyard with a harvest table, BBQ and an urban garden where you can rent a plot and do your gardening, grow vegetables, etc. This is a unique home, don't miss out! For appointment and further information call or email Listing Agent.
Old 06-20-2022, 03:27 PM   #22745

Thanked 2,422 Times in 918 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by MarkyMark View Post
I was wondering what it was going to take in this city that always seemed to have endless cash. Apparently gas at $2.20 and raising interest rates was it.
Nothing has happened yet, I still have showings every week so I guess we still have endless cash. About to insure the summer car , if it stops raining.

2022 Velo N
2005 S2000
2007 CSX Type-S [Sold]
2002 RSX-S [T-Boned]
Gerbs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2022, 03:29 PM   #22746

Thanked 2,463 Times in 1,127 Posts
People out in the suburbs are still driving around with their pick-up trucks and SUVs as if gas were $1.00/L.

My kids and wife took me out for brunch this weekend to a new restaurant in the Tri-Cities. My wife had to make reservations several weeks ago as they've been fully booked for several weeks. We were one of the oldest millennial families there - I saw several millennial families with Uppa Baby strollers, coiffed hair, and designer clothing. Younger people seem to have no problem dropping $100 on brunch in the suburbs (our bill came to $80+ with no alcohol).

Young people are still spending their money - I guess just not in Vancouver or at wineries (wine sales are declining relative to low-calorie beverages).
Tapioca is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2022, 03:40 PM   #22747
Willing to sell body for a few minutes on RS

Thanked 31,169 Times in 7,158 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by supafamous View Post
You know what would be a funny meme/satire page is "honest realtor"

"Come home to your opiate oasis on 138 Hastings! Close to safe injection sites, crime, and streets covered in human feces. Fall asleep to the sweet siren song of.....SIRENS. Enjoy the safety of your triple gated compound while being in the exciting centre of the drug induced zombie apocalypse thanks to our crumbling mental health system! Call now for your showing, offered with armed chaperone in case of random machete attack!"
Westopher is correct.
Quote:
Originally Posted by fsy82 View Post
seems like you got a dick up your ass well..get that checked
Quote:
Originally Posted by punkwax View Post
Well.. I’d hate to be the first to say it, but Westopher is correct.
westopher is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2022, 04:15 PM   #22748
y'all better put some respeck on my name

Thanked 9,244 Times in 2,359 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Badhobz View Post
Lots of these high end houses in Richmond (3m+) seem to be slowing down quite a bit. But I doubt they’ll drop down to 2.5 or something… even with the recession coming I don’t think it’ll crash like that.
There's some homes that sold for over $3m+ in 2016 and sold for below $3m in 2019 so prices can dip below $3m as rates trend up.
Harvey Specter is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 06-20-2022, 04:18 PM   #22749
y'all better put some respeck on my name

Thanked 9,244 Times in 2,359 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hondaracer View Post

Penticton isn't cool enough for the IG/TikTok flex.
Harvey Specter is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 06-20-2022, 05:02 PM   #22750
I have named my kids VIC and VLS

Thanked 14,365 Times in 5,658 Posts
Perfectly fine by me lol.. there are some hidden gems there that are best to not be discovered

Every time I go up there I feel like I should move there