REVscene - Vancouver Automotive Forum

Welcome to the REVscene Automotive Forum forums.

Registration is Free!You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today! The banners on the left side and below do not show for registered users!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   REVscene Automotive Forum > Automotive Chat > Vancouver Off-Topic / Current Events

Vancouver Off-Topic / Current Events The off-topic forum for Vancouver, funnies, non-auto centered discussions, WORK SAFE. While the rules are more relaxed here, there are still rules. Please refer to sticky thread in this forum.

Old 10-25-2012, 09:39 PM   #1
Rs has made me the man i am today!

Thanked 1,699 Times in 446 Posts
Vancouver unveils aggressive transportation plan

Vancouver unveils aggressive transportation plan | CTV British Columbia News

Quote:
CTV British Columbia
Published Wednesday, Oct. 24, 2012 6:59PM PDT
Last Updated Wednesday, Oct. 24, 2012 11:06PM PDT

Vancouver has unveiled an aggressive transportation plan that would see two-thirds of all trips taken within the city by transit, cycling or walking by the year 2040.

To achieve that target, the city is proposing numerous attention-grabbing strategies – the least controversial being the long-awaited underground transit line along the Broadway corridor.

But other measures, such as implementing more bike lanes, eliminating car access on certain streets and removing parking from others, are certain to irk motorists.

Transportation expert Gord Price said the city’s goal is actually more realistic than it might seem.

Past estimates about declining vehicle trips have actually turned out to be too conservative, Price argued, and car use in Vancouver is already down to 1965-levels.

“The one thing that we do know from our experience in Vancouver is that if we build transit, particularly rail transit, boy, will people use it,” Price said.

The city isn’t trying to force people out of their cars, he added, but to make alternative options for walking, cycling and transit more practical.

“Then people will be much more willing to mix and match – to match up the choice for the kind of trip they’re taking with the options available.”

The multi-faceted report suggests the current car-free section of Robson Street may be joined by similar installations on Hamilton and Mainland streets in Yaletown and on Water Street in Gastown. Another section of Robson Street could also become “pedestrian-priority.”

For promoting cycling, the report suggests adding bike lockers and bike racks to parking lots, implementing a bike share system and potentially adding bike lanes to the Granville and Cambie bridges.

The costs of the ambitious project, and where the funding will come from, are unknown however. The report suggests $70 million in funding will be allocated between now and 2014, but says all further estimates will require further planning.

City council is expected to vote on the report next week.
Advertisement
woob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2012, 09:42 PM   #2
The Lone Wanderator

Thanked 4,367 Times in 1,137 Posts
For reference, link to report:
http://former.vancouver.ca/ctyclerk/...uments/rr1.pdf
Graeme S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2012, 09:44 PM   #3
I subscribe to Revscene

dat_steve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2012, 09:48 PM   #4
RS has made me the bitter person i am today!

Thanked 2,543 Times in 840 Posts
Qmx323 is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 10-25-2012, 09:56 PM   #5
:inoutugh:

Thanked 5,833 Times in 1,836 Posts
Old 10-25-2012, 10:02 PM   #6
Old School RS

Thanked 3,957 Times in 1,205 Posts
Actually, I would LIKE to be able to do all of my commuting around Vancouver on public transit. But actual usable public transit that doesn't take 3x as long as driving, doesn't stink like homeless piss, and doesn't require a 20 block walk to get on it (skytrain...)
Old 10-25-2012, 10:03 PM   #7
My dinner reheated before my turbo spooled

Thanked 13,521 Times in 1,745 Posts
Fuck you Vancouver

Old 10-25-2012, 10:06 PM   #8
14 dolla balla aint got nothing on me!

Kidnapman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2012, 10:27 PM   #9
My homepage has been set to RS

Thanked 1,755 Times in 544 Posts
You guys would be too old to use it by that time lol
Posted via RS Mobile
ilovebacon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2012, 10:34 PM   #10
I only answer to my username, my real name is Irrelevant!

Thanked 10,382 Times in 3,908 Posts
2040 we would have to use transit by that time, too old to drive

that's one thing i can't stand how it takes cities/countries in north america fucking lifetimes to implement ideas/features/services unlike less wealthy/less taxed/less populated cities across the oceans
StylinRed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2012, 11:20 PM   #11
degenerate extraordinaire

I don't know how old you guys are, but I'm sure I'd still be driving at that time.

Of course, unless I was being chauffeured around in my RR.
He would step out of his freshly downtown autospa detailed 996 C4s, check out his own reflection in the driverside window out of habit, take off his brand new limited edition D&G aviator sunglasses so the mf can see the fury in his eyes, sashay over to the other guy and then threaten to insert his black leather Savatore Ferragamo loafers into the guys rear-end.
Ikkaku is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2012, 11:36 PM   #12
I subscribe to Revscene

don't get me wrong, i love the idea of transit, but as lowside67 mentioned, i also don't live/work near a skytrain so having to walk 20 minutes each way just to be sardine packed into a smelly tube is no bueno.
dat_steve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2012, 11:38 PM   #13
...in the world.

Thanked 7,636 Times in 2,321 Posts
If they put in useable public transit, great. But I don't want to take a bus when it takes two hours to get somewhere I can get in 30 minutes by car.
Ronin is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 10-25-2012, 11:53 PM   #14
Banned (ABWS)

fuck that shit they need to focus on improving the system not fucking it up even more.

They can't manage the system right now how are they going to manage something of that caliber?
oh wait tax everything!!!
BigTrollFace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2012, 12:13 AM   #15
My dinner reheated before my turbo spooled

Uh....I can never envision Vancouver can get to a level of efficiency so that people wouldn't be infinitely worse off by taking public transport. Even in a city like Hong Kong (where I'm living now), sometimes a car/taxi is just better, and we'er talking about a city with arguably the best system in the world.

Also, biking is a Rich man Poor man thing (Adam Carolla listener will know this), you're either well off enough to afford an area which allows you to ride your bike to work and do other activities, or you're simply homeless. Will there be a day where I can ride a bike to a station in Burnaby, get on a skytrain/bus with my bike, and head to downtown in the same amount of time as I would in a car (25mins tops)? I highly doubt it.
Wongtouski is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 10-26-2012, 12:16 AM   #16
Official Texas Ambassador

Thanked 5,671 Times in 1,324 Posts
By 2040 I'll pilot my flying motorcycle to Vera's Burgers Arena (Formerly Rogers Arena) and watch the Vancouver Canucks win their first ever Stanley Cup against the Las Vegas Islanders. I bought my ticket for section 833 from the scalper out front who is fresh out of UBC's Bachelor of Hustling program and paid the naming rights for my second and third born children for it.
Hah, sucker. Little does he know I had to sell my reproductive organs to ICBC because of all the tickets I got for not wearing my C-Lai face visor while driving.

Then I'll buy my sidewalk ticket from the kiosk and walk over to BC Place Low Income Housing & Stadium to watch the B.C. Roughriders take on the Halifax Roughriders for the Roughrider Cup. When the game is over and the homeless file in to sleep for the night after being issued their government administered injection of heroin, I'll buy another sidewalk ticket, pick up my hoverbike and ride home (but not in the HOV lane because I don't have a sidecar with three other people in it) to my $8800 per month bachelor suite in the Burns Bog projects while avoiding the United Nations and Independent Soldiers patrol vehicles. The RCMP sold them that territory in exchange for some of their patrol vehicles (including the helicopter). I have to ride a hoverbike because paying $17.50 a litre for gas is for suckers

I say, fuck your aggressive transportation plan. I won't need it. The future looks a-ok for me.
She taught me right from wrong and always told me to stay positive and help others no matter how small the deed - that helping others gives us meaning to carry on. The sun is out today and it's a new day. Life is good. I just needed a slap in the face.
El Bastardo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2012, 08:01 AM   #17
Head Moderator

Thanked 6,462 Times in 2,081 Posts
The problem I have is that until transit becomes a more viable solution for people who live outside the downtown core, making the city of Vancouver unfriendly to cars will simply hurt it. While I admittedly live near the edge of Translink's cold hands, to get to DT Vancouver on transit would take an extra hour over the length of time it would take to drive. I could drive to the nearest skytrain station, which is still a thirty minute drive from my house... but then that would mean I'd have to leave my car at either King George or Surrey Central, neither of which leaves me with a lot of confidence that my car wont be broken into.
Lomac is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 10-26-2012, 08:11 AM   #18
First to fail !SG evar! Now i have yellow fever...

Thanked 2,431 Times in 475 Posts
I'm all for car-free zones in hotspots like yaletown/gastown, but only if they provide ample parking in nearby area's so that I can easily drive from south-east van to dt. If I have to walk 10mins to the bus station, bus 15 mins to skytrain, then sit on the train for another 10-15mins just so I can go to dinner in dt, then Im not going to do it.
Redlines_Daily is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2012, 09:17 AM   #19
I answer every Emotion with an emoticon

Thanked 2,485 Times in 1,007 Posts
by year 2040, lol i dont care.. DO IT... it will be my grand kids that gona suffer!!!

BTW, arent we gona be flying cars by then.. lmao or is it going to be a bust like all those 80's movies saying about year 2010+
Old 10-26-2012, 09:39 AM   #20
In RS I Trust

Thanked 17,582 Times in 4,298 Posts
wow its great but when they transit system outside of Vancouver is beyond shits what good is it. If it didn't take me 1hr to bus to the skytrain in Surrey I would take more transit but when the bus system is a fucken joke what else to they expect.
murd0c is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 10-26-2012, 09:43 AM   #21
RS.net, helping ugly ppl have sex since 2001

Thanked 7,188 Times in 2,411 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wongtouski View Post
Also, biking is a Rich man Poor man thing (Adam Carolla listener will know this), you're either well off enough to afford an area which allows you to ride your bike to work and do other activities, or you're simply homeless.
lol he just mentioned this earlier this week. Either it's the poor guy riding around in a rusty huffy, or the rich guy with a Ferrari in the garage riding a $10,000 carbon fibre bike.

Bike shares are awesome, but I have a feeling there's too many junkies and dbags in Vancouver that would just ruin it for everybody.
2010 Toyota Rav4 Limited V6 - Wifey's Daily Driver
2009 BMW 128i - Daily Driver
2007 Toyota Rav4 Sport V6 - Sold
1999 Mazda Miata - Sold
2003 Mazda Protege5 - Sold
1987 BMW 325is - Sold
1990 Mazda Miata - Sold

100% Buy and Sell Feedback
sonick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2012, 09:57 AM   #22
reads most threads with his pants around his ankles, especially in the Forced Induction forum.

Thanked 2,191 Times in 1,131 Posts
Let's put it this way I live near BCIT.... if I miss a bus to work I expect to be 20mins late for work......(I work near DT) so what good does it do if DT have good different transportation while outsdie of DT everything is shit lol.
Mr.HappySilp is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 10-26-2012, 10:50 AM   #23
...in the world.

Thanked 7,636 Times in 2,321 Posts
Christopher Lloyd once told me that in 2015, we won't need roads.
Ronin is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 10-26-2012, 12:33 PM   #24
【=◈︿◈=】

Thanked 2,099 Times in 558 Posts
yep, more bike lanes is the solution. but of course. why don't we just eliminate all but one lane on all the busiest bridges while we're at it and make the rest bike lanes? that has to pursuade people to bike more!

why are people so delusional?
Posted via RS Mobile
- kT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2012, 01:08 PM   #25
I told him no, what y'all do?

Thanked 5,814 Times in 2,502 Posts
my tax dollars at work

Quote:
Greenstoner
1 rat shit ruins the whole congee
originalhypa
You cannot live the life of a whore and expect a monument to your chastity