REVscene - Vancouver Automotive Forum

Welcome to the REVscene Automotive Forum forums.

Registration is Free!You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today! The banners on the left side and below do not show for registered users!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   REVscene Automotive Forum > Automotive Chat > Vancouver Off-Topic / Current Events

Vancouver Off-Topic / Current Events The off-topic forum for Vancouver, funnies, non-auto centered discussions, WORK SAFE. While the rules are more relaxed here, there are still rules. Please refer to sticky thread in this forum.

Old 11-05-2012, 08:46 PM   #26
y'all better put some respeck on my name

Thanked 9,244 Times in 2,359 Posts
I think the biggest surprise tomorrow might be Obama winning bigger than what he's currently polling. I do believe he might get a surge from his response to Sandy, I don't really see a surge for Mitt because Sandy basically froze his campaign and any momentum he had going.
Advertisement
Harvey Specter is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 11-05-2012, 08:52 PM   #27
In RS I Trust

Thanked 17,579 Times in 4,296 Posts
is it some sore of coverup by H.A.A.R.P creating Sandy to help Obama win?

I made a bet with a friend have to cook 5 course meal and drinks. I can't stand Romney seems so cocky and sleezy and his point of views are crazy in my eyes
murd0c is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 11-05-2012, 08:54 PM   #28
Need to Seek Professional Help

Thanked 1,176 Times in 354 Posts
Saw this on facebook earlier...

"In light of your failure in recent years to nominate competent candidates for President of the USA and thus to govern yourselves, we hereby give notice of the revocation of your independence, effective immediately. (You should look up 'revocation' in the Oxford English Dictionary.)

Her Sovereign Majesty Queen Elizabeth II will resume monarchical duties over all states, commonwealths, and territories (except North Dakota, which she does not fancy).

Your new Prime Minister, David Cameron, will appoint a Governor for America without the need for further elections.

Congress and the Senate will be disbanded. A questionnaire may be circulated next year to determine whether any of you noticed.

To aid in the transition to a British Crown dependency, the following rules are introduced with immediate effect:

-----------------------

1. The letter 'U' will be reinstated in words such as 'colour,' 'favour,' 'labour' and 'neighbour.' Likewise, you will learn to spell 'doughnut' without skipping half the letters, and the suffix '-ize' will be replaced by the suffix '-ise.' Generally, you will be expected to raise your vocabulary to acceptable levels. (look up 'vocabulary').

------------------------

2. Using the same twenty-seven words interspersed with filler noises such as ''like' and 'you know' is an unacceptable and inefficient form of communication. There is no such thing as U.S. English. We will let Microsoft know on your behalf. The Microsoft spell-checker will be adjusted to take into account the reinstated letter 'u'' and the elimination of '-ize.'

-------------------

3. July 4th will no longer be celebrated as a holiday.

-----------------

4. You will learn to resolve personal issues without using guns, lawyers, or therapists. The fact that you need so many lawyers and therapists shows that you're not quite ready to be independent. Guns should only be used for shooting grouse. If you can't sort things out without suing someone or speaking to a therapist, then you're not ready to shoot grouse.

----------------------

5. Therefore, you will no longer be allowed to own or carry anything more dangerous than a vegetable peeler. Although a permit will be required if you wish to carry a vegetable peeler in public.

----------------------

6. All intersections will be replaced with roundabouts, and you will start driving on the left side with immediate effect. At the same time, you will go metric with immediate effect and without the benefit of conversion tables. Both roundabouts and metrication will help you understand the British sense of humour.

--------------------

7. The former USA will adopt UK prices on petrol (which you have been calling gasoline) of roughly $10/US gallon. Get used to it.

-------------------

8. You will learn to make real chips. Those things you call French fries are not real chips, and those things you insist on calling potato chips are properly called crisps. Real chips are thick cut, fried in animal fat, and dressed not with catsup but with vinegar.

-------------------

9. The cold, tasteless stuff you insist on calling beer is not actually beer at all. Henceforth, only proper British Bitter will be referred to as beer, and European brews of known and accepted provenance will be referred to as Lager. South African beer is also acceptable, as they are pound for pound the greatest sporting nation on earth and it can only be due to the beer. They are also part of the British Commonwealth - see what it did for them. American brands will be referred to as Near-Frozen Gnat's Urine, so that all can be sold without risk of further confusion.

---------------------

10. Hollywood will be required occasionally to cast English actors as good guys. Hollywood will also be required to cast English actors to play English characters. Watching Andie Macdowell attempt English dialect in Four Weddings and a Funeral was an experience akin to having one's ears removed with a cheese grater.

---------------------

11. You will cease playing American football. There is only one kind of proper football; you call it soccer. Those of you brave enough will, in time, be allowed to play rugby (which has some similarities to American football, but does not involve stopping for a rest every twenty seconds or wearing full kevlar body armour like a bunch of nancies).

---------------------

12. Further, you will stop playing baseball. It is not reasonable to host an event called the World Series for a game which is not played outside of America. Since only 2.1% of you are aware there is a world beyond your borders, your error is understandable. You will learn cricket, and we will let you face the South Africans first to take the sting out of their deliveries.

--------------------

13.. You must tell us who killed JFK. It's been driving us mad.

-----------------

14. An internal revenue agent (i.e. tax collector) from Her Majesty's Government will be with you shortly to ensure the acquisition of all monies due (backdated to 1776).

---------------

15. Daily Tea Time begins promptly at 4 p.m. with proper cups, with saucers, and never mugs, with high quality biscuits (cookies) and cakes; plus strawberries (with cream) when in season.

God Save the Queen!

PS: Only share this with friends who have a good sense of humour (NOT humor)!"
AstulzerRZD is online now   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 11-05-2012, 09:04 PM   #29
I *heart* Revscene.net very Muchie

^^

"illuminati" backwards followed by .com takes you to the US National Security Agency.

Anyways, like Jah mentioned, I think Obama wins this bigger than the media is reporting. The media's job is to sensationalize and make it sound like it is a close race. Obama had an opportunity to be "presidential" during and after hurricane Sandy, while Romney got left stalled. That could sway undecided voters.

I'm going to go with:

Obama 290
Romney 248
Old 11-05-2012, 09:11 PM   #30
I WANT MY 10 YEARS BACK FROM RS.net!

Thanked 12,136 Times in 3,361 Posts
Seen on a friend's FB status:

<status> I'm looking forward to the roller coaster ride you Americans are gonna take me on tomorrow.

Rest well kids it's gonna be a long day

<comment> it really will be like a roller coaster ride. you feel like laughing at times...throwing up at times....and in the end it will be...oh, that's it?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brianrietta View Post
Not a sebberry post goes by where I don't frown and think to myself "so..?"
Soundy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2012, 10:28 PM   #31
Wanna have a threesome?

Thanked 5,054 Times in 1,657 Posts
The results of the election could act as a catalyst for some very disturbing events, especially with images such as these now appearing outside voting stations.

One, valueless, but nice upside to supporting Obama, you're never grouped with these types of people..

MindBomber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2012, 10:38 PM   #32
Revscene.net has a homepage?!

Thanked 1,036 Times in 276 Posts
^ God some people... An instance where I don't agree with freedom of speech
kunoman1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2012, 11:19 PM   #33
I Will not Admit my Addiction to RS

Quote:
Originally Posted by hchang View Post
I thought about creating a thread couple weeks ago regarding the US elections but didn't think so many of you guys follow it.

I'm hoping Romney wins. Economically as mentioned already in this thread Romney is their big chance in getting their economy back on track.

Cutting taxes on businesses is the best way; more incentive = more businesses opening up = higher standard of living and services/product prices drop
I would have to disagree with what Romney is doing, if your country is in that big of a shit hole in debt, would it be mathematically reasonable to further cut taxes?

Sure cutting taxes could potentially help the economy, but what is stopping businesses from pocketing all the extra incentives and just maintaining output the same when the demand isn't strong?

The only way that they could possibly balance the budget, is by taxing the middle class, and this would create a terrible wealth disparity between the middle class and upper class.
vl_86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2012, 11:38 PM   #34
Head Moderator

Thanked 6,462 Times in 2,081 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by MindBomber View Post
The results of the election could act as a catalyst for some very disturbing events, especially with images such as these now appearing outside voting stations.

One, valueless, but nice upside to supporting Obama, you're never grouped with these types of people..

Funny how they have eight "people" hanging, but only seven names. Guess their math skills indicate their overall intelligence...

Edit: I'm predicting an Obama win, though the popular vote probably wont be in his favour. While Romney has some decent ideas, just his overall platform and ideals scares enough that I think he may create an even worse place for the US to be.
Lomac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2012, 11:41 PM   #35
I *Fwap* *Fwap* *Fwap* to RS

Thanked 5,279 Times in 603 Posts
on an unrelated note, found this information graphic on the US of A's debt:
US debt visualized: Stacked in $100 dollar bills @ $16.394 Trillion Dollars (Debt Ceiling)

mind-boggling shit
Old 11-06-2012, 03:20 AM   #36
My AFC gave me an ABS CEL code of LOL while at WOT!

That video must have captured only the 'lowest common denominator' voters. How can people take the time to attend a campaign rally and still not know what their there for or what the contenders stand for?

In case anyone is interested in a quick breakdown of what each candidate's platforms are on a variety of positions.

Barack Obama vs Mitt Romney - Difference and Comparison | Diffen

Cars:
02' Lexus IS300 5spd
07' BMW 323iA
05' BMW Z4 5spd
06' BMW 330i 6spd
10' Audi A4 quattro
08' BMW M3 6spd
15' Kawasaki Ninja300
08' Yamaha R6
10' Honda Ridgeline
17' Audi Q5
16' BMW X5D

Last edited by bing; 11-06-2012 at 12:51 PM.
bing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2012, 04:03 AM   #37
y'all better put some respeck on my name

Thanked 9,244 Times in 2,359 Posts
I can't believe I've been following this election since the Republican primary's. I usually watch Morning Joe on MSNBC and it's interesting to see the poll numbers and each side talking about winning but hearing both sides speak it reminds me of our election.

We all remember what our polls showed, Conservatives winning a majority by a few MP''s but we all know what happen, the Liberal party got wiped out in a single night. So I guess a late surge or polling irregulars could push Romney to victory but that been said and like I said above, I do feel Obama is going to win big when it comes to the swing states. I just can't see a 8% swing for Romney this late in the game in some of the battleground states plus he hasn't lead in a single poll in many of the battleground states like Ohio ever.
Harvey Specter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2012, 06:20 AM   #38

Quote:
Originally Posted by kunoman1 View Post
^ God some people... An instance where I don't agree with freedom of speech
"Freedom of speech" has never been considered carte blanche to spread hate.
Quote:
Old 11-06-2012, 06:43 AM   #39
I contribute to threads in the offtopic forum

Thanked 7,109 Times in 1,264 Posts
StylinRed and Mindbomber - The local libral party

I don't care who wins, but I am interested to see voting statistics related to race.

Source: United States presidential election, 2008 - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Quote:
The election saw increased participation from African Americans, who made up 11.1% of the electorate in 2004, versus 13.0% in 2008.[210]According to exit polls, over 95% of African Americans voted for Obama. This played a critical role in southern states such as North Carolina. 74% of North Carolina's registered African American voters turned out, as opposed to 69% of North Carolinians in general, with Obama carrying 100% (with rounding) of African-American females and African Americans age 18 to 29, according to exit polling.[211] This was the case in Virginia as well where much higher turnout among African Americans propelled Obama to victory in the former Republican stronghold.[212] Even in southern states where Obama was unsuccessful, such as Georgia and Mississippi, due to large African American turnout he was much more competitive than John Kerry in 2004.[213][214]
There was obviously a lot of "sensationalism" related to America seeing its first black president (Not just among Blacks I'm sure), nevermind the McCain/Palin team... who the #&$^ would vote for them???? To top that off, there was a lot of anti republican sentiment at the time due to Mr. Bush's work.

All I am saying is that I expect it to be very close, if I was forced to make a wager it would be for Obama to win but will not be surprised is Romney has to book a moving company for the new year.
jasonturbo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2012, 06:44 AM   #40
Banned By Establishment

Thanked 2,982 Times in 1,135 Posts
Here is my "hope" for "change":

I hope that the republicans get their asses handed to them, purely for the lesson. They started Obama's term with one mission, "make him a 1 term president". It was publicly stated. They have done everything in 4 years to do so. Even to the point that the US can't improve because it could look good on him, not them.

I like Obama...but he's far too left for the US. He's a great face to the presidency, but not a very good president. But certainly better than anyone and anything the gods gays and guns GOP can put up in an election.

Like our conservatives, and any conservatives, I think they have good econmic principles, but it gets caught up in some bizarre social agendas. This election needs to be about the economy, not putting women back in the kitchen, gays back in the closet and abortions back in the alley.

So I hope that the republicans learn that they need to come center. Sadly, a win for the democrats would show that they can keep doing what they are doing, and they need to come center as well.

Honestly, it changed at Bush. He swung right, and the democrats had to deal with it. They obstructed his second term, so its the republicans "turn" to do the same...and its hurting the country.

And for god sakes...make it easier for people to vote, not harder.
Gridlock is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 11-06-2012, 07:38 AM   #41
I Will not Admit my Addiction to RS

Old 11-06-2012, 07:49 AM   #42
Banned By Establishment

Thanked 3,492 Times in 1,176 Posts
I had a vivid dream last night that Romney won...I was actually choked up and physically sick.

I hope it wasn't a premonition.
dinosaur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2012, 08:01 AM   #43
In RS I Trust

Thanked 17,579 Times in 4,296 Posts
I have a dinner bet with a good buddy and I of course picked Obama. He better win dammit lol
murd0c is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2012, 08:14 AM   #44
RS.net, where our google ads make absolutely no sense!

jaguar604 is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 11-06-2012, 08:20 AM   #45

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gridlock View Post
Here is my "hope" for "change":

I hope that the republicans get their asses handed to them, purely for the lesson. They started Obama's term with one mission, "make him a 1 term president". It was publicly stated. They have done everything in 4 years to do so. Even to the point that the US can't improve because it could look good on him, not them.
This is THE major problem I have with modern politics, especially here in North America: the opposition seems to care more about making sure the party in power looks bad, than they do about actually doing anything to help the country. Obama (in this case) could have come up with the most brilliant, something-good-for-everyone, country-saving economic plan that would fix everything within a week, and the Republicans would have focused all their energy on finding every tiny little flaw with it and blocking it at every turn based on that, just because dammit, we can't have a Democrat actually looking good, and we'll fuck the whole country to prevent it!

Canada is no better, for the most part, although for as little as I follow federal politics, it seems the Jack Layton NDP tried to get away from that - it would have been really interesting if he had lived through his term as Leader of the Opposition.

It's like they all take the title of "opposition" too literally - never anything constructive to add, they exist only to oppose anything and everything the ruling party does.
Quote:
Old 11-06-2012, 09:14 AM   #46
I am grateful grapefruit

Read this editorial about voting in the states and how it's a disgrace. Honestly, I was always very proud of Canada's Voting system. How they even limit the Elections Canada staff from wearing colours, just to make sure they weren't viewed as biased towards one party or another.

the states is a completely different ballgame.

America's voting system is a disgrace - CNN.com

Quote:
Washington (CNN) -- When the polls close in most other democracies, the results are known almost instantly. Ballots are usually counted accurately and rapidly, and nobody disputes the result. Complaints of voter fraud are rare; complaints of voter suppression are rarer still.

The kind of battle we are seeing in Florida -- where Democrats and Republicans will go to court over whether early voting should span 14 days or eight -- simply does not happen in Germany, Canada, Britain or France. The ballot uncertainty that convulsed the nation after Florida's vote in 2000 could not happen in Mexico or Brazil.

Almost everywhere else, elections are run by impartial voting agencies. In France, elections are the responsibility of the Ministry of the Interior, which establishes places and hours of voting, prints ballots (France still uses paper) and counts the votes. In Germany, an independent federal returning officer oversees a complex state and federal voting system. In Canada, federal elections are managed by a specialized agency, Elections Canada. Mexico, emerging from a sad history of electoral manipulation, created in the 1990s a respected independent agency, the Federal Electoral Institute. Brazil has nationwide electronic voting, producing instantaneous, uncontested results.

No voting system is perfect. Britain has faced allegations of chronic fraud in absentee balloting. As I write, Lithuanian politics are convulsed by allegations of vote buying by one of its political parties.

But here's what doesn't happen in other democracies:

Politicians of one party do not set voting schedules to favor their side and harm the other. Politicians do not move around voting places to gain advantages for themselves or to disadvantage their opponents. In fact, in almost no other country do politicians have any say in the administration of elections at all.

Here's a story from the 2000 election.

Like many old cities, St. Louis has not invested in modern voting equipment. Voting delays are notorious. At the scheduled poll-closing time, voters were still lined up throughout the city. Al Gore's campaign, desperate to win the state, asked a judge to extend voting for three more hours in the heavily Democratic city -- but only in the city. A state judge agreed. Republicans appealed, the state judge was overruled, and the polls were closed after remaining open a total of 45 additional minutes beyond the legal closing time.
What is inspiring you to vote?
Online voting: The future of elections?
Ohio prepares for election
Can e-voting machines be hacked?

Republicans won Missouri's 11 electoral votes by a margin of 78,786 out of the almost 2.4 million cast.

Think about what's incredible here:

Lines were lengthy in St. Louis City because in the United States, almost uniquely, local governments choose how voting is cast and counted. People who live in localities with less capable governments, such as St. Louis, will face greater delay and difficulty in casting their vote.

When local Democratic officials saw themselves disadvantaged by the existing rules, they appealed to a judge for special treatment for its (likely) voters -- and only for those voters. (Good news: In Missouri, circuit judges are appointed by the governor and then confirmed in office by nonpartisan vote. In many states, however, judges are themselves elected in partisan elections.)

The other party demanded that the existing rules be upheld, and the case was litigated on the fly, ending in a weird compromise that only failed to become a national scandal because the events in Florida were so much more dramatic.

In any other democracy, voters nationwide would have cast their votes on the same kind of balloting equipment, subject to the same rules.

The parties would have had a minimal role in supervising the election, and certainly would not have been allowed to ask for rule changes as the vote occurred.

The voting would have been overseen by a national election commission, not by local judges, who might be nonpartisan -- but who very well might not.

Change the list: You convinced them to vote

Americans worry more about voter fraud than do voters in other countries, because they are the only country without a reliable system of national identification.

In no other country, including federal systems such as Germany, Canada and Australia, does the citizen's opportunity to vote depend on the affluence and competence of his or her local government.

In every other democracy, the vote is the means by which the people choose between the competing political parties -- not one more weapon by which the parties compete.

The United States is an exceptional nation, but it is not always exceptional for good. The American voting system too is an exception: It is the most error-prone, the most susceptible to fraud, the most vulnerable to unfairness and one of the least technologically sophisticated on earth. After the 2000 fiasco, Americans resolved to do better. Isn't it past time to make good on that resolution?
Old 11-06-2012, 09:27 AM   #47
I *heart* Revscene.net very Muchie

Thanked 6,513 Times in 1,152 Posts
This is an interesting read/video. There's no standardized ballot in the US and some are pretty damn confusing to cast your vote.

‘Ballot Design With Todd Oldham’ - NYTimes.com
artofstance on twitter
Proud member of GRAPE Great Revscene Action Photographers Enthusiasts
--------------------------------------------
2018 Volkswagen Golf R
1999 Mazda Miata *sold*
2005 Mazda 3 *sold*
2002 Volvo S40 *RIP*
1989 Volvo 740 *RIP*
Matsuda is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 11-06-2012, 09:40 AM   #48
14 dolla balla aint got nothing on me!

If Puppies Could Vote: 2012 Election (11/5/12) | Video | Late Night with Jimmy Fallon | NBC

areyounoob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2012, 11:28 AM   #49
Fanboy

Got to love youtube
Old 11-06-2012, 01:17 PM   #50
RS.net, where our google ads make absolutely no sense!

An infographic showing where Obama and Romney stand on certain issues: