REVscene - Vancouver Automotive Forum

Welcome to the REVscene Automotive Forum forums.

Registration is Free!You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today! The banners on the left side and below do not show for registered users!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   REVscene Automotive Forum > Automotive Chat > Vancouver Off-Topic / Current Events

Vancouver Off-Topic / Current Events The off-topic forum for Vancouver, funnies, non-auto centered discussions, WORK SAFE. While the rules are more relaxed here, there are still rules. Please refer to sticky thread in this forum.

Old 11-07-2012, 12:34 PM   #226
Rs has made me the man i am today!

Quote:
Originally Posted by MR_BIGGS View Post
Hilary Clinton 2016?
Everybody knew this when Obama won in 08. Unless Biden wins the nomination. LOL.
Advertisement
Old 11-07-2012, 12:40 PM   #227

Quote:
Originally Posted by StylinRed View Post
^^^ lol fat chance

I think they might go with the route of putting a minority up for election next time, not an idiot, but someone like Bobby Jindal that is if they can get the far right to get behind him

for those wondering "bobby who?" Bobby Jindal - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia << not only is he a minority republican but he's a bloody genius

He messed up that speech that set him back a few notches in the GOP social ladder.
Old 11-07-2012, 12:49 PM   #228

31 Worst People On The Planet

What's crazy (but expected) is how Obama brings out the racism in the states. Both black and white.

The link above shows teenage twitter users just blatantly showing their hate on Obama in a more KKK like fashion. What's funny is how they have "Jesus this.." and "God is good.." type of comments plastered on their twitter pages. Oh the hypocrisy.
Old 11-07-2012, 03:11 PM   #229
y'all better put some respeck on my name

Thanked 9,244 Times in 2,359 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by MR_BIGGS View Post
Hilary Clinton 2016?
I think it's a given that she'll run especially seeing how loyal she's been to Obama and how Bill basically saved Obama's ass throughout the campaign. I mean imagine Bill and Obama on the campaign trail, it'll be crazy.
Harvey Specter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2012, 03:24 PM   #230
Need to Seek Professional Help

Quote:
Originally Posted by will068 View Post

What's crazy (but expected) is how Obama brings out the racism in the states. Both black and white.

The link above shows teenage twitter users just blatantly showing their hate on Obama in a more KKK like fashion. What's funny is how they have "Jesus this.." and "God is good.." type of comments plastered on their twitter pages. Oh the hypocrisy.
ugggghhhh that makes me sick reading those tweets.
dhari is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2012, 03:44 PM   #231

Quote:

What do expect with inbreeding rednecks who haven't traveled outside of their little redneck towns. And on the topic of rednecks...

Racist students riot in Mississippi over Obama win
Old 11-07-2012, 04:13 PM   #232
14 dolla balla aint got nothing on me!

Thanked 1,979 Times in 262 Posts
Quote:

I read some of those, it's disappointing to see the sleep of reason alive and well in Jesusland.
finbar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2012, 06:17 PM   #233
The Lone Wanderator

Thanked 4,367 Times in 1,137 Posts
Unfortunately, just 'cause it's over doesn't mean it's over. It's already started again:

Graeme S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2012, 06:21 PM   #234
WOAH! i think Vtec just kicked in!

This kinda breaks down the election for ya:

Red and Blue: Breakdown of popular vote - The Globe and Mail

Basically, the Urban and suburban areas vote for Obama, and the rural/redneck/southern areas vote Romney.
iEatClams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2012, 06:23 PM   #235
The Lone Wanderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by azndude69 View Post
This kinda breaks down the election for ya:

Red and Blue: Breakdown of popular vote - The Globe and Mail

Basically, the Urban and suburban areas vote for Obama, and the rural/redneck/southern areas vote Romney.
To quote Jon Stewart yesterday:
Quote:
...and I think we can state this with some confidence, now. Mitt Romney has been declared President...of the Confederacy

For those who aren't in the know about US history:
Spoiler!
This post thanked by:
Old 11-07-2012, 06:56 PM   #236
I contribute to threads in the offtopic forum

Thanked 3,628 Times in 718 Posts

... lol

and follow up

Excelsis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2012, 07:30 PM   #237
The Lone Wanderator

Also, in related news:

Quote:
World of Warcraft Gamer Colleen Lachowicz Wins Seat In Maine State Senate

Maine Democrat Colleen Lachowicz made gaming history twice this year:

First, when she was attacked by the Republican Party last month for being a computer gamer.

Second, when she won her election on Tuesday, becoming the first Senator whose gaming habits led, in part, to her victory.

Hear that, negative stereotypes about gamers? Your days are numbered. Gamers can be doctors, lawyers, and now, even state senators.

Gaming Is Now Mainstream

Luddites take note: Attacking a candidate just because they play video games will not only backfire in the form of bad international press and an outpouring of support from fellow gamers, but the move also paints you as incredibly out of touch with modern society. The backlash will be even worse if that candidate plays World of Warcraft, the planet's most popular massive multiplayer online game - with some 10 million players.

As Lachowicz pointed out on her site, 65% of American homes now house a gamer, and the average age of a gamer is now 34 years old. Questioning if a candidate is fit for office because she plays video games is the 21st Century version of complaining about someone for liking that loud “rock and roll music.”

Back in October, Republicans created the attack site Colleen’s World, complete with the tagline “Maine needs a State Senator that lives in the real world, not in Colleen’s fantasy world.” The site collected forum posts Lachowicz made on various sites, including Daily Kos, in an attempt to show how “crude, vicious and violent” she was in her “time-consuming,” “disturbing” and “bizarre double life.” It also criticized Lachowicz’s World of Warcraft character, a level 85 Orc assassin named Santiaga "who stabs things a lot." Maine GOPers took offense to the term “teabag,” too.

The attacks on Lachowicz and Santiaga led to segments on CNN, coverage in outlets like TIME and Slate, and even internationally on the BBC, where a gaming researcher named Ladan Cockshut weighed in on the controversy and negative stereotype of gamers:

"In my work, I've spoken with many people who in their regular lives have roles of significant responsibility (as doctors, managers, or educators) but who choose carefully with whom they disclose their gaming activity," said Cockshut to the BBC. "And disclosing their gaming activity is often accompanied by a degree of apology or embarrassment."

Presumably, that's what Maine Republican Party spokesman David Sorensen was going for when he said Lachowicz’s activities “raise questions about Lachowicz’s maturity and her ability to make serious decisions for the people of Senate District 25.”

Smear Campaign = Epic Fail

The smear campaign, however, backfired as it mobilized gamers tired of “gamers = bad” mantra in support of Lachowicz. A fundraising page set up for her on ActBlue raised more than $6,000 for Democrats in Maine before it was shut down by an ethics complaint from Republicans. (As a Clean Election candidate, Lachowicz is forbidden from accepting donations, but the ActBlue page clearly stated as much, and was raising money for the Democratic party in Maine.)

Lachowicz told the Ethics commission she did no more than link to the ActBlue page as she was “overwhelmed” with the public response and it was a way to get “people to stop calling me, stop messaging" her. (Lachowicz was cleared by the ethics panel on November 1.)

Back in October, during the height of the controversy, Lachowicz told Joystiq in an interview all the press has actually increased her profile in her own district, especially among 18 - 30 year olds. “I knock on the door now and some people recognize me,” said Lachowicz, even a 64-year-old who plays EverQuest.

“It just really goes to show that I think those of us who do play games are eager for it not to be stereotyped anymore” added Lachowicz, in reference to all the support. Her quote could easily have been about last night’s win, too.
Sauce: ReadWrite &ndash; World of Warcraft Gamer Colleen Lachowicz Wins Seat In Maine State Senate
Old 11-08-2012, 12:26 AM   #238
McFogg The Dawg is my homeboy

Thanked 1,130 Times in 286 Posts
kevin7352 is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 11-08-2012, 08:46 AM   #239
Banned By Establishment

Thanked 3,492 Times in 1,176 Posts

White People Mourning Romney
dinosaur is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 11-08-2012, 09:37 AM   #240
I only answer to my username, my real name is Irrelevant!

Thanked 10,382 Times in 3,908 Posts
Holy Shit its Sebastian Vettel!

StylinRed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2012, 12:47 PM   #241
Need to Seek Professional Help

Thanked 1,283 Times in 196 Posts

AW607 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2012, 01:18 PM   #242
The Lone Wanderator

Romney's "If-I'd-been-elected" site accidentally went live, and then got screencapped:

Romney's Transition Site

Whoops!

As an aside, you'll notice that he signed his stuff "Office of the president-elect"; an office that doesn't really exist. And when Obama used that exct wording last time around, the Republicans ripped him a new asshole for it.

Oh, dear.
This post thanked by:
Old 11-09-2012, 05:07 PM   #243
Banned By Establishment

Thanked 3,492 Times in 1,176 Posts
The Funniest Tweets From The 2012 Presidential Election | Happy Place
dinosaur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2012, 06:28 PM   #244
To me, there is the Internet and there is RS

Thanked 7,383 Times in 3,465 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by kevin7352 View Post
Need to get that shirt.
Anyone know were I can get it. Google was no help.
Old 11-09-2012, 06:45 PM   #245
Hacked RS to become a mod

Thanked 23,816 Times in 8,190 Posts
I still can't believe they could have had a president who believes Jesus visited America
SkinnyPupp is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 11-09-2012, 06:51 PM   #246
The Lone Wanderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by SkinnyPupp View Post
I still can't believe they could have had a president who believes Jesus visited America
There's a lot of things about America I have trouble believing...

Yet there they are.

-edit-

Just wanted to pop in for this little gem:

Last edited by Graeme S; 11-09-2012 at 06:55 PM. Reason: now with 50% more awesome!
This post thanked by:
Old 11-09-2012, 07:01 PM   #247
...in the world.

Thanked 7,636 Times in 2,321 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Manic! View Post
Need to get that shirt.
Anyone know were I can get it. Google was no help.
If you find it, lemme know.

Is it even a real shirt? Maybe you could just get the graphic and print it.
Ronin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2012, 09:53 PM   #248
What hasn't Killed me, has made me more tolerant of RS!

JaPoola is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2012, 10:01 PM   #249

Bill Maher has been talking about the "Republican bubble" for this entire year and I guess Romney found out the hard way that living in a bubble and reality don't usually line up.

Quote:
Romney's get-out-the-vote operation was comically inept. Obama barely prepared for the first debate. Romney spent $25,000 on victory fireworks. And more!

The presidential election is over, but the real story behind the race is only just emerging. After months of enough spin to make a washing machine envious, members of the campaigns are starting to let down their guard and dish some dirt to media outlets. From Mitt Romney's embarrassingly ineffective get-out-the-vote operation to President Obama's peevish attitude toward the debates, post-election autopsies have given political junkies a lot to mull over before they, yes, turn to the 2016 race. Here, eight behind-the-scenes revelations from the campaign:

1. Romney was shellshocked by Obama's victory
Romney genuinely believed that he would become the nation's 45th president, and was "shellshocked" by his landslide loss. "I don't think there was one person who saw this coming," one senior adviser told Jan Crawford at CBS News. Why was Team Romney so certain of victory? They simply did not believe that younger voters and minorities would turn out the way they did in 2008. "As a result," says Crawford, "they believed that the public/media polls were skewed" in Obama's favor, and rejiggered them to show Romney with "turnout levels more favorable to Romney." In essence, Romney "unskewed" the polls, mirroring widely mocked moves by conservatives to show their candidate with a lead, epitomized by the now-infamous website UnskewedPolls.com. Romney's defenders say he had plausible reasons to believe Obama's turnout would be lower; less charitable commentators say Romney and his aides were stuck in a conservative media echo chamber at odds with reality.

2. Obama's get-out-the-vote operation was amazing
Obama's ground game relied on "an extraordinarily sophisticated database packed with names of millions of undecided voters and potential supporters," says The New York Times. The database allowed Obama's army of field workers to target new voters, register them, and get them to the polls. On Election Day, it became clear that the Obama campaign had altered "the very nature of the electorate, making it younger and less white," says The Times. "The power of this operation stunned Mr. Romney's aides on election night, as they saw voters they never even knew existed turn out in places like Osceola County, Fla."

3. Romney's get-out-the-vote operation was hopeless
The Romney campaign "came up with a super-secret, super-duper vote monitoring system that was dubbed Project Orca," says Byron York at The Washington Examiner. The so-called "mega-app for smartphones" was supposed to "link the more than 30,000 operatives and volunteers involved in get-out-the-vote efforts," in a bid to coordinate everyone's efforts and maximize turnout, say Maggie Haberman and Alexander Burns at Politico. But Project Orca was a complete and utter failure. The program crashed on Election Day, which meant that "workers on the ground didn't know what doors to knock on," say Haberman and Burns. The campaign was flying blind, relying on CNN and other media outlets to track turnout. "The end result," says John Ekdahl, a Romney campaign worker, at Ace of Spades, "was that 30,000+ of the most active and fired-up volunteers were wandering around confused and frustrated when they could have been doing anything else to help."

4. Obama underestimated Romney's debating prowess
In the run-up to the first presidential debate, Obama "displayed little concern" about the challenge ahead of him, and "his impatience with the exercise was evident," says The Times. He ended up walking "into a trap that Mr. Romney's advisers had anticipated: His antipathy toward Mr. Romney — which advisers described as deeper than what Mr. Obama had felt for John McCain in 2008 — led the incumbent to underestimate his opponent as he began moving to the center before the debate audiences of millions of television viewers." As a result, the president spent the rest of the campaign making up for "what was arguably the most dismal night of Mr. Obama's political career."

5. Romney was desperate for money
"The GOP nominee emerged late last spring from a long and bruising Republican primary season more damaged than commonly realized," say Sara Murray and Patrick O'Connor at The Wall Street Journal. Romney "had spent so much money winning the nomination" that he had to spend the first weeks and months of the general campaign touring fundraising meccas in "California, Texas, and New York — none of which were important political battlegrounds." Romney raised about $800 million, but "paid a deep political price," giving the Obama campaign a large window of time to "define the Republican candidate on its terms."

6. Romney was beholden to Donald Trump
Perhaps the Romney campaign's "most fatal mistake was its tortured, 16-month quest to win the affection of rank-and-file conservatives via their most boisterous mouthpiece — at the expense of everything else," says McKay Coppins at BuzzFeed. That would be Donald Trump, the country's most famous birther. "Trump's appeal to the Republican base was undeniable," and Romney spent a fair amount of effort winning his endorsement. But the "Trump stunt did not end up sending Tea Partiers marching en masse to the primary polls," and Romney's new ties to birtherism "became, increasingly, a political headache." The Obama campaign linked Trump with Romney at every opportunity, and Trump "required constant maintenance by the campaign to keep him from going completely off the rails."

7. Ann Romney cried when Obama won
When it was all over on Election Night, the GOP nominee called Obama to concede defeat. "Romney was stoic as he talked to the president," says CBS News' Crawford, "but his wife Ann cried." His running mate Paul Ryan "seemed genuinely shocked," while "Ryan's wife Janna also was shaken and cried softly."

8. Romney had purchased victory fireworks
"Things didn't go as planned for Mitt Romney on Election Day in more ways than one," says Glen Johnson at The Boston Globe. "The Republican was prepared to celebrate his election as the 45th president with an eight-minute fireworks display within view of his party at the Boston Convention & Exhibition Center." The Romney campaign reportedly paid $25,000 for fireworks that "had a patriotic theme, heavy on red, white, and blue colors."
Old 11-09-2012, 10:45 PM   #250
Hacked RS to become a mod

Thanked 23,816 Times in 8,190 Posts

Posted via RS Mobile
SkinnyPupp is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by: