REVscene - Vancouver Automotive Forum

Welcome to the REVscene Automotive Forum forums.

Registration is Free!You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today! The banners on the left side and below do not show for registered users!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   REVscene Automotive Forum > Automotive Chat > Vancouver Off-Topic / Current Events

Vancouver Off-Topic / Current Events The off-topic forum for Vancouver, funnies, non-auto centered discussions, WORK SAFE. While the rules are more relaxed here, there are still rules. Please refer to sticky thread in this forum.

Old 01-13-2013, 10:25 AM   #26
iceboy & saucywoman are my parents!

Thanked 1,770 Times in 445 Posts
i got sick twice last year. Both times i got caught the flu while shopping on boxing day or black friday.

now im rarely going to public places and waiting for the flu to die down kuz i dont wanna get it a third time
Advertisement
[23-07, 02:53] LSF22 the guy who i just saw had like 5 or 6 cars on his lawn needs a ride

[07-10, 15:42] nabs tbails14 = the legend continues

[27-10, 19:44] slickrick (to ts14) NO NOT THE EXHAUST

[07-10, 22:42] Ri2 If I had a real one I'd fap til it turns blue probably

[05-01, 16:24] Geoc ts you're a never ending inspiration for the inner buddy guy in all of us
ts14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2013, 10:42 AM   #27
xxx

I got sick on NYE but it was just a cold and the worst of it lasted only about 2 days and I was at 80% after 2 days.
I do wash my hands often and always use a paper towel to open the bathroom door on my way out though.
Oleophobic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2013, 10:46 AM   #28
I *heart* Revscene.net very Muchie

Quote:
Originally Posted by murd0c View Post
Thats because the Flu shot is the virus being injected into your system so most people get sick after getting it.
This is simply not true. A lot of people avoid getting flu shots because "the one time they got it, they got sick." A flu shot contains an inactivated vaccine made of killed virus. Because the viruses in this vaccine are killed (inactivated), the shot won't cause you to get the flu, but it will enable your body to develop the antibodies necessary to ward off influenza viruses. That said, I think the flu shot shot has a 60 per cent chance of working. So people who got the flu after getting a flu shot often contribute it to the vaccination.

Personally, I don't get the flu shot. I have OCD so I'm watching my hands so often and just try to do things to ensure my immune system stays strong.
Old 01-13-2013, 04:19 PM   #29
My homepage has been set to RS

I haven't been sick in years and never get a shot. Maybe if people would eat healthy and wash their hands regularly their immune system would be so shot.

If this is still in my sig, it's still avail.
falcon is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 01-13-2013, 04:41 PM   #30
The Lone Wanderator

Thanked 4,367 Times in 1,137 Posts
Flu vaccines start getting prepared literally months before flu season, so the viruses that are used in order to create the vaccines are those that the doctors believe will show up based on previous experiences and prior viruses that have come in the past and moved forward. There is no single "flu virus", there's a variety of strains. Your body learns to fight each one as you get sick, and so the virus has to mutate in order to spread. Some people will get vaccinated but still get sick because the vaccine was formulated for the wrong virus.

This is also why some people can get the flu several times in a single year despite having antibodies. Different strains.
Graeme S is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 01-13-2013, 05:23 PM   #31
I WANT MY 10 YEARS BACK FROM RS.net!

Thanked 9,822 Times in 3,903 Posts
haven't got a flu shot in 5 years now
immune system's been doing okay...no flu during those years
i work in health care too and is recommended we get shots
twitchyzero is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2013, 05:49 PM   #32
I have named my kids VIC and VLS

Thanked 14,334 Times in 5,645 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by falcon View Post
I haven't been sick in years and never get a shot. Maybe if people would eat healthy and wash their hands regularly their immune system would be so shot.
or... dont wash your hands

never had a flu shot since elementary school, -never- use hand sanitizer, and only wash my hands before eating if its convenient and i havent been sick for the past 4 years with anything but maybe a 1-2 day cold

im of the opinion that constantly washing your hands etc only weakens your immune system due to never being exposed to the bacteria, seems to work for me
Old 01-13-2013, 09:10 PM   #33
I *heart* Revscene.net very Muchie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hondaracer View Post
or... dont wash your hands

never had a flu shot since elementary school, -never- use hand sanitizer, and only wash my hands before eating if its convenient and i havent been sick for the past 4 years with anything but maybe a 1-2 day cold

im of the opinion that constantly washing your hands etc only weakens your immune system due to never being exposed to the bacteria, seems to work for me
:
Old 01-13-2013, 09:35 PM   #34
xxx

Quote:
Originally Posted by Traum View Post
Makes me wonder though -- of those that got sick, how many of them took the flu shot? And how many had the opportunity to have the flu shot, but turned it down? I remember reading somewhere that the typical take rate of the flu shot is only around 40% of the population.

I must have been taking the flu shot for at least the past 15+ years. During this time, I have never been seriously sick due to the flu. It doesn't mean I didn't get the flu -- I most certainly did in a few years. But whenever I had it, it was always really mild.
I'm the same as you except I've never taken a flu shot in my life. I've never had a full-on norovirus / stomach flu-like symptom (puking/diarrhea constantly for a whole day or two) and hope I never experience this in my life. Nobody in my family has had it before either so I'm wondering if we just happen to be blessed with fairly robust immune systems. Or maybe we've just been lucky to have never been in the wrong place at the wrong time...

Seriously wtf is one to do if a family member gets it? I've read up on the norovirus and it seems impossible to avoid catching it if you're taking care of an infected family member. Unless you keep your distance and act like a selfish asshole while hoping the family member can take care of him/herself it seems inevitable that the virus will 'run its course' through the entire household.
Oleophobic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2013, 09:44 PM   #35
Hypa owned my ass at least once

Thanked 6,299 Times in 2,511 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by T.T View Post
Seriously wtf is one to do if a family member gets it? I've read up on the norovirus and it seems impossible to avoid catching it if you're taking care of an infected family member. Unless you keep your distance and act like a selfish asshole while hoping the family member can take care of him/herself it seems inevitable that the virus will 'run its course' through the entire household.
I don't think there is anything much you can do other than the regular standard precautions -- face mask, wash your hands, try to stay healthy yourself, etc.
Traum is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2013, 10:39 AM   #36
I Will not Admit my Addiction to RS

Never get sick too. last time I got sick was when I decided to try the flu shot for the first time like 4 years ago. Decided not to get anymore since.
sam0m0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2013, 11:44 AM   #37
Banned By Establishment

Thanked 2,091 Times in 773 Posts
getting a flu shot while beign a fat unhealthy fuck probably doesnt help either
Meowjin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2013, 11:46 AM   #38
Willing to sell a family member for a few minutes on RS

I get sick once every few years. I have a very good immune system. I was sick during Christmas time, I felt like death.
hotjoint is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2013, 11:49 AM   #39
Banned By Establishment

Thanked 2,091 Times in 773 Posts
im sick now and i want to die. asked to use vacation time from work this week and im scared to call in sick now
Meowjin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2013, 01:34 PM   #40
I am Hook'd on RS

Do you guys even lift, haven't gotten sick in 3 years.
Posted via RS Mobile
milkStar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2013, 01:55 PM   #41

Thanked 1,458 Times in 588 Posts
Moment I feel a raspy throat of early symptoms of a cold/flu I drink a lot more warm fluids such as hot honey lemon, gargle with warm salt water, take some zinc, eat more garlic, rest and get 8 hours of sleep
shawnly1000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2013, 02:09 PM   #42
2 Wheelin' Mod

My brother got the norovirus last year. He was throwing up whenever he drank or ate something and had diarrhea had to go to the hospital after 3 days and was close to kidney failure since his body was running out of water

I got it from him and went to the hospital right away and they gave me a pill and I was better
Posted via RS Mobile
Jas29 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2013, 05:20 PM   #43
MOD

Thanked 7,553 Times in 1,957 Posts
didnt get flu shot, so far 100%

Gh0stRider's Buy & Sell Feedback

Quote:
Originally Posted by CharlieH View Post
whole time i thought gh0strider was white lol

Gh0stRider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2013, 10:09 PM   #44
I contribute to threads in the offtopic forum

Thanked 3,628 Times in 718 Posts
pretty much lol

Excelsis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2013, 10:54 PM   #45

I have pretty strong pro-vaccine stance so I won't rant out on here but: Everyone on this forum is young and relatively healthy, you shouldn't be severely ill from the flu unless you have other risk factors. Instead, you are all carriers and aid in the spread of the virus. Speaking from first hand experience, once someone brings that virus to their grandparents or elderly parents then gets spread like wildfire. This wildfire in the elderly does in fact lead to death.

So please, don't say "I haven't had the shot in xx years and I have never had the flu", you have no idea how many times you have helped spread it and in xx years you will be that person who some kid infected and it may hasten your death.

Anyways, its the same thing every year for those who are pro and those who are con the vaccine.
Old 01-14-2013, 11:21 PM   #46
reads most threads with his pants around his ankles, especially in the Forced Induction forum.

Thanked 2,191 Times in 1,131 Posts
got a sore throat this weekend -_- was cuddling with the gf in the car and she didn't have a warm jacket so I give her mine. Start coughing now I am taking lots and lot's of water and taking cough mecidine.
Mr.HappySilp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2013, 12:14 AM   #47
y'all better put some respeck on my name

Thanked 9,244 Times in 2,359 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nocardia View Post
I have pretty strong pro-vaccine stance so I won't rant out on here but: Everyone on this forum is young and relatively healthy, you shouldn't be severely ill from the flu unless you have other risk factors. Instead, you are all carriers and aid in the spread of the virus. Speaking from first hand experience, once someone brings that virus to their grandparents or elderly parents then gets spread like wildfire. This wildfire in the elderly does in fact lead to death.

So please, don't say "I haven't had the shot in xx years and I have never had the flu", you have no idea how many times you have helped spread it and in xx years you will be that person who some kid infected and it may hasten your death.

Anyways, its the same thing every year for those who are pro and those who are con the vaccine.
Well said.

And we had a great thread on here about the flu vaccine, not sure what happen to the thread and I personally refuse to get the flu vaccination.
Harvey Specter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2013, 05:00 PM   #48
Ebisu Boss

Thanked 1,889 Times in 705 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by murd0c View Post
I don't personally believe in flu shots and have never and will never get one. I rather want my body to fight it off naturally then having some man made modified shit injected into my body.
Posted via RS Mobile
I've always wondered that, is it actually true? I've never taken a flu shot (maybe once in highschool but I forget) but I rarely ever get sick, this last one I had over Christmas was the longest one I've ever had.

My mom insists that I avoid getting flu shots until I'm older (like way older) like when my body can no longer naturally fight it instead being artificially boosted every year.

Edit: I know that both my grandparents got their flu shots already.
Obsideon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2013, 07:25 PM   #49
Willing to sell body for a few minutes on RS

Thanked 3,731 Times in 1,322 Posts
It just hit me today I can't stop shaking. I brought my work home I doubt I'll be in the rest of the week.

“The world ain't all sunshine and rainbows. It's a very mean and nasty place... and I don´t care how tough you are, it will beat you to your knees and keep you there permanently, if you let it. You, me or nobody, is gonna hit as hard as life. But ain't about how hard you hit... It's about how hard you can get hit, and keep moving forward... how much you can take, and keep moving forward. That´s how winning is done. Now, if you know what you worth, go out and get what you worth.” - Rocky Balboa
quasi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2013, 07:50 PM   #50
Waxin’ Punks

Thanked 6,043 Times in 2,076 Posts
I had to get my flu shot as Vancouver Coastal Health is a client of mine and I have to visit hospitals, clinics etc. Its required if you're consistently visiting their sites per my employer. Before this year, I'm not positive I had one except maybe in HS. Sure hope I don't ruin my immune system in the long run, never really thought about it that way..

Quote:
Originally Posted by MG1 View Post
punkwax, I don't care what your friends say about you, you are gold!
Quote:
Originally Posted by mikemhg View Post
What do your farts sound like then?
punkwax is offline   Reply With Quote