REVscene - Vancouver Automotive Forum

Welcome to the REVscene Automotive Forum forums.

Registration is Free!You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today! The banners on the left side and below do not show for registered users!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   REVscene Automotive Forum > Automotive Chat > Vancouver Off-Topic / Current Events

Vancouver Off-Topic / Current Events The off-topic forum for Vancouver, funnies, non-auto centered discussions, WORK SAFE. While the rules are more relaxed here, there are still rules. Please refer to sticky thread in this forum.

Old 01-15-2013, 08:00 PM   #51
Need my Daily Fix of RS

This will be the first in 6 years I've chosen not to get a flu shot. I'm hoping to break the streak, because I've come down with something nasty basically each of those 6 years.
Advertisement
EuterVanWasser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2013, 08:00 PM   #52
I told him no, what y'all do?

Thanked 5,812 Times in 2,501 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Obsideon View Post
I've always wondered that, is it actually true? I've never taken a flu shot (maybe once in highschool but I forget) but I rarely ever get sick, this last one I had over Christmas was the longest one I've ever had.

My mom insists that I avoid getting flu shots until I'm older (like way older) like when my body can no longer naturally fight it instead being artificially boosted every year.

Edit: I know that both my grandparents got their flu shots already.
Quote:
Myth:
Getting an influenza vaccine every year weakens my immune system.

Fact:
The influenza vaccine boosts your immune system to protect against the virus, instead of weakening it.
Influenza (Flu) Immunization: Myths and Facts - HealthLinkBC File #12c

Quote:
Greenstoner
1 rat shit ruins the whole congee
originalhypa
You cannot live the life of a whore and expect a monument to your chastity
Quote:
[22-12, 08:51]mellomandidnt think and went in straight..scrapped like a bitch
[17-09, 12:07]FastAnna glowjob
[17-09, 12:08]FastAnna I like dat

GLOW is online now   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 01-16-2013, 05:33 AM   #53
I STILL don't get it

can someone explain how washing your hand helps one lower their chances of getting the flu? serious question..
noventa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2013, 05:56 AM   #54
Rs has made me the woman i am today!

Thanked 2,259 Times in 439 Posts
The flu is a communicable disease. Transmitted by respiratory droplets.

If you touch an object that has been contaminated by someone who has the flu (ie their snot on the table, they sneeze on a table, etc) then you touch your face or ingest the organism through contaminated food (ie. you touch someone's snot and then eat an apple) you have a higher chance of getting the flu.

When you wash your hands thoroughly, it washes off organisms on your hands. Therefore, less likely of transferring the organisms into your body.
Likewise, if you have the flu chances are your hands have been wiping your nose, sneezing into it etc. By washing your hands you get rid of the organisms so you are less likely to contaminate someone else.

Though, you can still transmit the flu by breathing on someone. But, washing your hands is a good way to prevent the spread of not only the flu, but other communicable ilness, ie. common cold.

edit: It is more appropriate to say virus as the flu is viral and not bacterial, as using the word organism like I did suggests it's a bacterial infection

Last edited by TheKingdom2000; 01-16-2013 at 04:45 PM. Reason: clarification
TheKingdom2000 is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 01-16-2013, 07:40 PM   #55
The Lone Wanderator

Thanked 4,367 Times in 1,137 Posts
These are the droids you're looking for

Graeme S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2013, 11:27 PM   #56
Retired moderator

I got a flu shot and yet I have been sick the past 2 months. First a minor cold, then some serious stomach bug, now my entire upper respiratory system is failing me, finally got my voice back after losing it for a week. Don't get sick. It's brutal this year. Brutal.

girl@revscene.net

girlはラップダンスをしたことがありません
Girl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2013, 12:35 AM   #57
I only answer to my username, my real name is Irrelevant!

Thanked 10,380 Times in 3,906 Posts
unsure if its been noted but the flu shot, this year, is said to only have a 45% efficacy rate
this was reported on the news the other day or so
StylinRed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2013, 02:05 PM   #58
My homepage has been set to RS

Quote:
Originally Posted by murd0c View Post
I don't personally believe in flu shots and have never and will never get one. I rather want my body to fight it off naturally then having some man made modified shit injected into my body.
Posted via RS Mobile
I understand the second part, but how do you not "believe in flu shots"? That they work at all? Or just that the harm outweighs the benefits? Or do you think its like Jesus?

Quote:
Originally Posted by StylinRed View Post
unsure if its been noted but the flu shot, this year, is said to only have a 45% efficacy rate
this was reported on the news the other day or so
I think it has been long reported that the efficacy of flu shots is like 70-90% but in reality I think that number is if they have chosen the correct strain. Therefore an overall estimate of 45% would make sense, like a 50/50 shot of having the right virus. That being said, I haven't heard of this recently especially since the correct strains were chosen but people still are getting sick. If you are immunocompromised, from my understanding, there is no evidence that they are beneficial (feel free to spam me info to contradict), we simply infer they will be beneficial because in healthy population they are. So maybe it does nothing for the most exposed people.