REVscene - Vancouver Automotive Forum

Welcome to the REVscene Automotive Forum forums.

Registration is Free!You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today! The banners on the left side and below do not show for registered users!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   REVscene Automotive Forum > Automotive Chat > Vancouver Off-Topic / Current Events

Vancouver Off-Topic / Current Events The off-topic forum for Vancouver, funnies, non-auto centered discussions, WORK SAFE. While the rules are more relaxed here, there are still rules. Please refer to sticky thread in this forum.

Old 01-28-2013, 08:05 AM   #51
Banned By Establishment

Quote:
Originally Posted by El Bastardo View Post
You're free to do as you'd like. You're afforded a certain amount of liberty unless you fit a certain profile which only applies to a very specific group of people looking to harm society as a whole.

Pretty much.

I want the government to be aware of all of the fucking insane people out there who want to harm other people. There are so many miserable, hateful, angry people who are just waiting for the right moment where they can start shooting people. Read some comments from all the chicken hawks on the Infowars/LiveLeak comment streams, for example.

Not to mention all of the religious hatred of western values openly preached in Europe.

How soon we forget:

Alleged terrorism plot targeted Canada - Ottawa - CBC News
Advertisement
Jason00S2000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2013, 04:28 PM   #52
I keep RS good

Thanked 5,539 Times in 1,502 Posts
There's two ways to see this.

"them" vs "us".

or

this is just a step towards collectivity (it will happen regardless of whether you like it or not).

Humanity will become closer and closer, until we operate like a single unit. single mind. we are but cells in a body. for the body to operate at maximum efficiency, all the cells must have the same goal. to have the same goal, we must all think similarly and have access to the same information, and use that information, the same way.

as this technology gets cheaper, and declassified, more and more "public" versions of these will appear. and the information will be available to all.

everybody, will know everything, about everyone.

if you want to hide, then you're going to have to live with the penguins up north.

ants don't take kindly to other ants who don't want to be a part of the colony.
Ulic Qel-Droma is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 01-29-2013, 03:18 AM   #53
RS.net, where our google ads make absolutely no sense!

They are just showing us its capabilities. Obviously it is not possible for them to keep a bird or 10 in the sky 24/7 to monitor BORING people below. There isnt enough affordable storage space and processing power to handle that YET.

However when such event might cause the need for it i'm sure enough storage space and processing power will be allocated for its operational time frame.
Anjew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2013, 06:53 AM   #54
I WANT MY 10 YEARS BACK FROM RS.net!

Thanked 12,136 Times in 3,361 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ulic Qel-Droma View Post
this is just a step towards collectivity (it will happen regardless of whether you like it or not).

Humanity will become closer and closer, until we operate like a single unit. single mind. we are but cells in a body. for the body to operate at maximum efficiency, all the cells must have the same goal. to have the same goal, we must all think similarly and have access to the same information, and use that information, the same way.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brianrietta View Post
Not a sebberry post goes by where I don't frown and think to myself "so..?"
Soundy is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 01-29-2013, 07:28 AM   #55
Head Moderator

Thanked 6,462 Times in 2,081 Posts
I've got a question to those of you concerned about privacy: Why should I care if the government decides to keep tabs on me? Apart from the occasional torrent and the odd speeding ticket every three or four years, my life is pretty damn boring and uneventful. How does my life become impacted by this?
Lomac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2013, 08:45 AM   #56
Willing to sell body for a few minutes on RS

Thanked 3,060 Times in 1,180 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lomac View Post
I've got a question to those of you concerned about privacy: Why should I care if the government decides to keep tabs on me? Apart from the occasional torrent and the odd speeding ticket every three or four years, my life is pretty damn boring and uneventful. How does my life become impacted by this?
I agree with you Lomac, but then you have others that say "if you let the government do X now, then what if they do Y in the future?"

Some people just like to complain about things they have very little control over...
Honest to fucking Christ the easiest way to get a married woman in the mood is clean the house and do the laundry.....I've been with the same girl almost 17 years, ask me how I know. - quasi
Gumby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2013, 08:46 AM   #57
Even when im right, revscene.net is still right!

Thanked 1,532 Times in 479 Posts
Quote:
I don't think people are scared of it impacting their lives, I think they are scared that the government is just going to keep pushing the boundary in terms of these kinds of operations.

It's all a game of how much power a government has, should have, and wants to have.

Personally, I don't care what they fly over me, but I do think it's a waste of money. As long as they haven't installed cameras in my home to watch me, I don't care. The only way I will care, is if I am falsely flagged for something that their super duper computer programs thought was malicious.
Yodamaster is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 01-29-2013, 02:54 PM   #58
Where's my RS Christmas Lobster?!

Thanked 1,070 Times in 229 Posts
Quote:
you could say the same thing about warrant-less phone taps and house search i guess? no matter how boring your life is everybody should have an interest in their privacy. if the next time you get pulled over and the cop says 'let me search your car inside out' with no probable cause, you don't think you'd be outraged?

and besides from that, there's the thought of 'Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?' or 'who guards the guards?' in latin. if the government can keep tabs on everybody, who keeps tabs on them? absolute power corrupts absolutely.
Shorn is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 01-29-2013, 03:35 PM   #59

Thanked 9,803 Times in 3,899 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yodamaster View Post
The only way I will care, is if I am falsely flagged for something that their super duper computer programs thought was malicious.

twitchyzero is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2013, 04:24 PM   #60

Thanked 12,136 Times in 3,361 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shorn View Post
and besides from that, there's the thought of 'Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?' or 'who guards the guards?' in latin. if the government can keep tabs on everybody, who keeps tabs on them? absolute power corrupts absolutely.
Everything is so much more menacing when you say it in Latin.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brianrietta View Post
Not a sebberry post goes by where I don't frown and think to myself "so..?"
Soundy is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 01-29-2013, 07:27 PM   #61
I *Fwap* *Fwap* *Fwap* to RS

Thanked 1,536 Times in 427 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Anjew View Post
They are just showing us its capabilities. Obviously it is not possible for them to keep a bird or 10 in the sky 24/7 to monitor BORING people below. There isnt enough affordable storage space and processing power to handle that YET.

However when such event might cause the need for it i'm sure enough storage space and processing power will be allocated for its operational time frame.
are you referring to the storage space in terms of like facilities to store birds on the ground? or space in terms of HD space for video footage?

cuz around 4:28 mark, she did say that they do have the ability to archive every video coming off every single UAV at the moment.
SoNaRWaVe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2013, 07:32 PM   #62
I contribute to threads in the offtopic forum

Thanked 3,842 Times in 879 Posts
Jack Bauer
EmperorIS is offline   Reply With Quote