REVscene - Vancouver Automotive Forum

Welcome to the REVscene Automotive Forum forums.

Registration is Free!You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today! The banners on the left side and below do not show for registered users!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   REVscene Automotive Forum > Automotive Chat > Vancouver Off-Topic / Current Events

Vancouver Off-Topic / Current Events The off-topic forum for Vancouver, funnies, non-auto centered discussions, WORK SAFE. While the rules are more relaxed here, there are still rules. Please refer to sticky thread in this forum.

Old 02-01-2013, 03:40 PM   #51
Rs has made me the woman i am today!

Thanked 6,693 Times in 1,625 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Redlines_Daily View Post
I don't see anything wrong with the comment on the bill to be honest..people are sick of being gouged at restaurants by this tipping culture we have here. I think it's twisted that many people tip purely because they don't want to be embarrassed to face the server with no tip. I tip if the food or service is excellent, but have no problem giving nothing extra if my dining experience is only mediocre.

I think the pastors comment was funny, cudos to her for standing up to this ridiculous tradition we have of paying people extra money to do their jobs properly. Calling the restaurant demanding everyone be fired was not a great move, but I'd be pissed too if someone posted my info publicly and there was an army of strangers trying to track me down on the Internet..
It's not as straight-forward as you make it out to be, and that's why there's a debate.

The comment on the receipt is pretty arrogant, religious connotation or not. Order a pizza, and you can either just not say a word and not tip the delivery boy, or you cal tell him to his face that you don't want to tip him because you think it's not worth the money. Pretty different things if you ask me.

If she had written the comment, and willingly tipped the 18%, then it would be funny. Right now, it's just as a funny as drawing a middle finger on the bill.

Strangely enough, the word "shitstorm" describes this entire situation pretty well.
Advertisement
inv4zn is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 02-01-2013, 04:34 PM   #52
First to fail !SG evar! Now i have yellow fever...

Thanked 2,431 Times in 475 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Presto View Post
Servers, especially in the states, need that gratuity. I think the article stated that the waitress makes $3.50/hr base.
I disagree. They need their employers to pay them a decent wage, and I'm saying that as a small business owner myself.
Redlines_Daily is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 02-01-2013, 05:42 PM   #53
degenerate extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by vafanculo View Post
I'm pretty sure I heard that if you are Christian, it is expected to give 10 percent of your earnings to the church. I'm sure she meant that..not to be confuses with giving 100% (attitude,life, etc)
Posted via RS Mobile
Oh I know that very well, being a Christian myself. I would hope that this pastor is only generalizing, otherwise it's a pretty shitty testimony they have going
He would step out of his freshly downtown autospa detailed 996 C4s, check out his own reflection in the driverside window out of habit, take off his brand new limited edition D&G aviator sunglasses so the mf can see the fury in his eyes, sashay over to the other guy and then threaten to insert his black leather Savatore Ferragamo loafers into the guys rear-end.
Ikkaku is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2013, 09:18 PM   #54
Zombie Mod

Thanked 5,169 Times in 1,551 Posts
Quote:
I disagree. They need their employers to pay them a decent wage, and I'm saying that as a small business owner myself.
I agree that it's on the employers to pay them well, but that's not going to happen, and that's why there's this tipping culture. This is the established system. If you don't agree with tipping, then eat at home or get take out.
Old 02-01-2013, 11:56 PM   #55

You don't get to dictate how I spend my money. I'll eat out and not tip, thanks.
This post FAILED by:
Old 02-01-2013, 11:58 PM   #56
My homepage has been set to RS

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lomac View Post
Posting a customer's signature online is a fired-on-the-spot offence pretty much anywhere.
With the amount of personal information people post on the internet these days, their signature is the least of their worries.

subordinate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2013, 04:48 AM   #57
I WANT MY 10 YEARS BACK FROM RS.net!

Thanked 12,136 Times in 3,361 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mozo View Post
I didnt even know there were female pastors..
Welcome to 1980.

Quote:
Originally Posted by CorneringArtist View Post
Why else did you think Superbowl was held on a Sunday?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lomac View Post
Posting a customer's signature online is a fired-on-the-spot offence pretty much anywhere.
Only useful to anyone if they know whose signature it is... although it's not a surprise that The Internet managed to figure it out (per the article). Then again, the pastor could have just stayed out of it, and whether or not it was actually hers would have been a subject for speculation only.

If there's one thing The Internet has done for us, it proves every day, that "tis better to remain silent and be thought a fool, than to speak up and remove all doubt."

Quote:
Originally Posted by vafanculo View Post
I'm pretty sure I heard that if you are Christian, it is expected to give 10 percent of your earnings to the church. I'm sure she meant that..not to be confuses with giving 100% (attitude,life, etc)
Posted via RS Mobile
Tithe - Definition and More from the Free Merriam-Webster Dictionary
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brianrietta View Post
Not a sebberry post goes by where I don't frown and think to myself "so..?"
Soundy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2013, 02:23 PM   #58
Mr.Spahkle, So BLING it hurts!

Correct me if I'm wrong, but the pastor did pay the 18% tip... All she did was scratch it out.

The amount includes the 18% already, just like how local restaurants do it, the figure is broken down already with the tip included.

You can tip on top of that if u wish... But either way I'm pretty sure she paid the 18%
Posted via RS Mobile
604CEFIRO is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 02-02-2013, 03:20 PM   #59
The Lone Wanderator

Thanked 4,367 Times in 1,137 Posts
As far as I understand it, she scratched it out because she didn't want it billed to her card. She claimed she left $6 in cash, which is basically the amount that was listed, but there's no way to verify anything. She also said after that she was charged the tip on her card regardless. The waitress said that the charge was done by the computer and there was nothing they could do about it.

This entire thing is just so for me. My mind asplode.
Graeme S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2013, 11:22 PM   #60
Willing to sell body for a few minutes on RS

Thanked 31,149 Times in 7,150 Posts
Quote:
I don't see anything wrong with the comment on the bill to be honest..people are sick of being gouged at restaurants by this tipping culture we have here.
You don't want to tip? Fine. Don't be a fucking asshole and rub it in the girls face with a shitty snide remark on the bill. Leave a shitty/no tip and get the fuck out like a normal person. The fact is, the person who wrote this, did it with no other intention than being an asshole. Someone of the church, who's main purpose in life is to teach love and compassion through God, should know better than to be so childish and arrogant. People holding her to a higher standard because of her religion/career is completely reasonable since she makes her living telling people how to behave as responsible, compassionate citizens. She easily could have spoken to the manager that she thought the 18% grat was unreasonable (for whatever reason) and it would be waived, instead she let a knee jerk reaction get the best of her and now she looks like an idiot. (and obviously so does the waitress)

Last edited by westopher; 02-02-2013 at 11:35 PM.
westopher is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
This post FAILED by:
Old 02-03-2013, 07:11 AM   #61
I WANT MY 10 YEARS BACK FROM RS.net!

Thanked 12,136 Times in 3,361 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by westopher View Post
You don't want to tip? Fine. Don't be a fucking asshole and rub it in the girls face with a shitty snide remark on the bill. Leave a shitty/no tip and get the fuck out like a normal person. The fact is, the person who wrote this, did it with no other intention than being an asshole. Someone of the church, who's main purpose in life is to teach love and compassion through God, should know better than to be so childish and arrogant. People holding her to a higher standard because of her religion/career is completely reasonable since she makes her living telling people how to behave as responsible, compassionate citizens. She easily could have spoken to the manager that she thought the 18% grat was unreasonable (for whatever reason) and it would be waived, instead she let a knee jerk reaction get the best of her and now she looks like an idiot. (and obviously so does the waitress)
THIS.

What also makes it worse is that the note is ostensibly aimed at the server... when the "automatic tip" is the RESTAURANT'S policy. The server didn't come up with the idea and probably thinks it's just as stupid as the customer does, but it's not under her control.

And seriously, with a "congregation" of a whole 15 people, something about this just screams, "we don't like your rules so we're starting our own church". Which granted, at times, has been the launching point for major new branches of religions... but I think more often, is just people looking to justify their own behaviors. It would be like me being tired of Sunday services overlapping kickoff, so I decide to form my own church that meets on Tuesdays and get all my football buddies to join - doesn't make me a real "pastor" any more that it makes me the head coach of my favorite team.

Not saying that's really the case, but something about the whole thing just sounds "off" to me. Maybe this is the Church of Screw-Compassion-We-Like-To-Be-Bitchy.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brianrietta View Post
Not a sebberry post goes by where I don't frown and think to myself "so..?"
Soundy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2013, 02:59 PM   #62
My homepage has been set to RS

Thanked 2,454 Times in 813 Posts
Quote:
You don't get to dictate how I spend my money. I'll eat out and not tip, thanks.
And that's fine.

But the moment you leave a snide remark, then take the consequences.

It's called accountability. And it gives everybody an equal playing field.
[17-03, 09:23] Amuro Ray is it normal for my dick to have things growing on it?
Quote:
[15-05, 13:34] FastAnna You guise are like diet coke and I am the mentos
[15-05, 13:34] FastAnna Incredible. How easy it is.
Quote:
Originally Posted by murd0c View Post
I'm scared of spiders... When I see one I toss my cats at it

Last edited by melloman; 02-05-2013 at 07:10 AM.
melloman is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 02-04-2013, 03:21 PM   #63

I think you mean accountability? But you and I are definitely making the same points.
This post thanked by:
Old 02-04-2013, 03:36 PM   #64
I came, I saw, I conquered.

Quote:
Originally Posted by melloman View Post
And that's fine.

But the moment you leave a snide remark, then take the consequences.

It's called DENI-ABILITY. And it gives everybody an equal playing field.
Consequences will never be the same!
Old 02-04-2013, 03:43 PM   #65
Captain Happy Bubble is my Homeboy

Quote:
Hey, dipshit, do you not understand how it works?

Servers get paid $3.50 (for the purposes of this story) per hour. The restaurant charges relatively low prices for food with little profit margins (hence the reason they can't afford to pay higher wages) and the customer subsidizes the wage based on the level of service received.

The whole purpose of the system is to ensure service is fast, efficient, and thoughtful.

For example:

With Tipping:
You buy pasta, a salad, and a glass of wine.
Restaurant charges $10, $5 and $5 for a total of $20
You pay $23 with a tip
Server gets $3.50 wage plus $3 tip for $6.50 wage
Restaurant gets $16.50 for $5 in food cost, for a 30% food cost.
This is the amount necessary to pay all other expenses, and turn a small profit

Without Tipping:
Restaurant charges $11, $6, and $6 for a total of $23
You pay $23
Server gets $6.50 wage

The only difference is, in one system there is some flexibility, and an incentive for better service. In the other it is greatly reduced.

While I admit, I hate the whole tipping culture (I think it penalizes generous/kind people and allows assholes like you to eat cheaper), this is the system we have instituted in North America, and therefore people should follow it.

What the fuck makes you think you deserve to eat for less money than the rest of us?

This isn't some righteous political stance, it's a cheap cover for the actions of a self entitled bitch.
Hurricane is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
This post FAILED by:
Old 02-04-2013, 03:52 PM   #66
Rs has made me the woman i am today!

Thanked 6,693 Times in 1,625 Posts
Quote:
Nobody is dictating how you spend your money - except the government, but that's another story.

The point of this story is the ACTIONS and subsequent chain of REACTIONS of the parties involved; not whether or not the 18% is deserved or undeserved.

All you did with this remark is tell the rest of us you're an ass.
inv4zn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2013, 03:53 PM   #67
OMGWTFBBQ is a common word I say everyday

Thanked 3,782 Times in 1,242 Posts
Am I a douche for not tipping if the service is sub par?... All I wanted was for my glass of water to be refilled..
Old 02-04-2013, 03:57 PM   #68

You couldn't have said it better. The structure of the industry here is based around tipping, and if you want to just eliminate it, don't expect your meal prices to be the same. Just know the people giving shitty service will make the same as those who don't. If you have such a problem with it whatever, go ahead, give a shitty/no tip, just don't bother going back if you expect someone to be happy about serving you. Redlines comes in every thread like this talking about how him not tipping is "taking a stand". If your service is shit however, I agree, don't tip, and that server likely won't be lasting very long because others will be doing the same, and they won't make fuck all more than minimum wage.
This post thanked by:
This post FAILED by:
Old 02-04-2013, 04:00 PM   #69

Quote:
Originally Posted by GabAlmighty View Post
Am I a douche for not tipping if the service is sub par?... All I wanted was for my glass of water to be refilled..
In the opinion of someone in the industry, hell no. If service is shit people need to be diligent on not leaving at big tip, so these useless servers either smarten the fuck up or quit because they can't afford their rent.
Old 02-04-2013, 04:09 PM   #70

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hurricane View Post

Servers get paid $3.50 (for the purposes of this story) per hour. The restaurant charges relatively low prices for food with little profit margins (hence the reason they can't afford to pay higher wages) and the customer subsidizes the wage based on the level of service received.

The whole purpose of the system is to ensure service is fast, efficient, and thoughtful.

For example:

With Tipping:
You pay $23 with a tip

Without Tipping:
You pay $23
Server gets $6.50 wage

The only difference is, in one system there is some flexibility, and an incentive for better service. In the other it is greatly reduced.

While I admit, I hate the whole tipping culture (I think it penalizes generous/kind people and allows assholes like you to eat cheaper), this is the system we have instituted in North America, and therefore people should follow it.

What the fuck makes you think you deserve to eat for less money than the rest of us?

This isn't some righteous political stance, it's a cheap cover for the actions of a self entitled bitch.
Are you so weak and insecure that you have to resort to calling names and swearing because someone disagrees with you? I Have worked as a server when i was in college, I get the principle behind it. I leave tip when I get good food or good service. You want to pay extra and perpetuate this rediculous system, feel free!
Old 02-04-2013, 04:14 PM   #71

Quote:
Originally Posted by westopher View Post
Redlines comes in every thread like this talking about how him not tipping is "taking a stand".
is this not a discussion board? I don't get why people get angry if someone has a different perspective. I guess I've been guilty of that myself sometimes too, but come on, we're not even talking about serious here, just tipping!
This post FAILED by:
Old 02-04-2013, 04:19 PM   #72

Because your perspective comes with an arrogance and pushiness behind it seen in other threads about tipping specifically, and you think its ok for someone to be a snide asshole because you share their ideology that tipping is stupid. That is stupid.

Last edited by westopher; 02-04-2013 at 04:25 PM.
Old 02-04-2013, 04:21 PM   #73
Hypa owned my ass at least once

Thanked 1,314 Times in 540 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hurricane View Post

For example:

With Tipping:
You pay $23 with a tip

Without Tipping:
You pay $23
Server gets $6.50 wage

Define relatively low?

Because when you're charging me $15 more or less for a burger with a side of fries or salad, I highly doubt that your profit margins are low....

And that's just the general Earls, Keg, Red Robins type of restaurant who I personally consider, practically just a step up from your traditional fastfood chain in quality.
Noir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2013, 04:22 PM   #74

Westopher, I wasn't aware that I came accross that way actually, I suppose I could try to filter my thoughts a bit before I post. As for the comment from the pastor, I really didnt see it as being offensive, just a funny comment.
Old 02-04-2013, 04:28 PM   #75

One thing we both agree on, if the service is shit, it doesn't warrant a tip. What we don't agree on though, is that a tip isn't necessary for appropriate service. If the service is good, it should warrant a good tip, if its ok, it warrants an ok tip.