REVscene - Vancouver Automotive Forum

Welcome to the REVscene Automotive Forum forums.

Registration is Free!You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today! The banners on the left side and below do not show for registered users!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   REVscene Automotive Forum > Automotive Chat > Vancouver Off-Topic / Current Events

Vancouver Off-Topic / Current Events The off-topic forum for Vancouver, funnies, non-auto centered discussions, WORK SAFE. While the rules are more relaxed here, there are still rules. Please refer to sticky thread in this forum.

Old 03-20-2014, 04:42 PM   #951
Hacked RS to become a mod

Thanked 23,814 Times in 8,189 Posts
Buying some Vertcoin because I'm not sure how the LTC market is going to respond to the influx of scrypt... It can either go up because there is going to be a much bigger cap, or all the GPU miners are going to abandon it for Vertcoin which is designed (even more) specifically to be (even more) ASIC resistant... we'll see I guess
Advertisement
SkinnyPupp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2014, 07:59 AM   #952
I want to be a person and not an icon.

Thanked 5,286 Times in 892 Posts
I don't know if this goes here or Fucked up shit thread.... I lol'd

Guy says if bitcoin drops half in price... he will a hat... lol

Anndddyyyy comments on Can you guys stop bashing the bears?

I ate a hat : BitcoinMarkets

Vale46Rossi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2014, 12:43 AM   #953
THE CHAMPION OF CAPUA

What's happening?
Spartacus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2014, 12:47 AM   #954
i like gifs

Thanked 7,785 Times in 2,695 Posts
The huge decline in BTC price is because China banks are banning bitcoin
Ch28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2014, 03:16 AM   #955

It's just China putting controls on how people spend their money, just like they have always done. They are desperately holding their currency together, and this is just the latest threat that could make the RMB weaker. This most recent action stops banks from being able to accept deposits.

Thing is, LOTS of things are banned in China, and how people can spend their money. People will just find a different way to do what they want.
Old 04-10-2014, 05:22 PM   #956
I keep RS good

Thanked 5,539 Times in 1,502 Posts
does it feel like crypto currency has become a diff version of the stock markets.

and each coin is a diff stock.
Ulic Qel-Droma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2014, 07:12 PM   #957

Not to me.. There is Bitcoin and for now Litecoin. Then there are all the goofball coins...

I did put a bit into Vertcoin just in case it's the one that replaces Litecoin when people need to switch to another Scrypt once their huge mining setups are no longer profitable with LTC.
Old 04-15-2014, 09:45 AM   #958
Even when im right, revscene.net is still right!

Thanked 1,090 Times in 318 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ulic Qel-Droma View Post
does it feel like crypto currency has become a diff version of the stock markets.

and each coin is a diff stock.
A 24 hour one that never closes.
corollagtSr5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2014, 12:07 AM   #959

If anyone knows anyone that is looking to buy a bitcoin ATM.

My friend has 1 available, it's a Lamassu.

He purchased 4 of these in December and it has been dispatched to other parts of Canada.

One of his partners dropped out and he has 1 extra now.

If anyone is interested PM and I can set you guys up!
Old 05-10-2014, 11:00 PM   #960
RS has made me the bitter person i am today!

Thanked 1,275 Times in 434 Posts
What sites can I use to get BTC with paypal?

Or is anyone selling any
ForbiddenX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2014, 12:43 AM   #961

Hardly anyone is going to sell to you via payment, because you can just decline the payment afterward and they will lose the money

Best way it to use cash in hand, from an ATM or at localbitcoins.com from a reputable seller
Old 05-12-2014, 06:53 AM   #962
reads most threads with his pants around his ankles, especially in the Forced Induction forum.

Thanked 2,191 Times in 1,131 Posts
Went to look for an apartment that's on sale and saw the owner have three racks of video card hook to a several PSU sitting outside the balcony.... Not sure what video card they are but my guess is he is minning Bitcoin?!
Mr.HappySilp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2014, 07:49 PM   #963
Even when im right, revscene.net is still right!

Quote:
Originally Posted by ForbiddenX View Post
What sites can I use to get BTC with paypal?

Or is anyone selling any
Not Paypal but you can purchase smaller amounts with interac through this site: quickbt.com

0.20 BTC daily limit.
Drizzt Do'Urden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2014, 01:17 PM   #964
Need my Daily Fix of RS

Jesus darkcoin went crazy
Old 06-09-2014, 02:48 AM   #965

If anyone is interested my buddies picked up 3 new Lamassu's and wants to sell them.

(Was going to sell to Asia but their friends ended up buying one already)
Old 07-24-2014, 03:00 AM   #966
2x Variable Nockenwellen Steuerung

Thanked 1,174 Times in 704 Posts
I verify this works amazingly well without the need of buying hardware! You just need to populate a dictionary of plausible usernames, I tried with Can411, a rather rudimentary python script and bob is your uncle.

How Hackers Hid a Money-Mining Botnet in Amazon’s Cloud

By Andy Greenberg

Hackers have long used malware to enslave armies of unwitting PCs, but security researchers Rob Ragan and Oscar Salazar had a different thought: Why steal computing power from innocent victims when there’s so much free processing power out there for the taking?

At the Black Hat conference in Las Vegas next month Ragan and Salazar plan to reveal how they built a botnet using only free trials and freemium accounts on online application-hosting services—the kind coders use for development and testing to avoid having to buy their own servers and storage. The hacker duo used an automated process to generate unique email addresses and sign up for those free accounts en masse, assembling a cloud-based botnet of around a thousand computers.

That online zombie horde was capable of launching coordinated cyberattacks, cracking passwords, or mining hundreds of dollars a day worth of cryptocurrency. And by assembling that botnet from cloud accounts rather than hijacked computers, Ragan and Salazar believe their creation may have even been legal.

“We essentially built a supercomputer for free,” says Ragan, who along with Salazar works as a researcher for the security consultancy Bishop Fox. “We’re definitely going to see more malicious activity coming out of these services.”

Imagine a distributed denial-of-service attack where the incoming IP addresses are all from Google and Amazon

Companies like Google, Heroku, Cloud Foundry, CloudBees, and many more offer developers the ability to host their applications on servers in faraway data centers, often reselling computing resources owned by companies like Amazon and Rackspace. Ragan and Salazar tested the account creation process for more than 150 of those services. Only a third of them required any credentials beyond an email address—additional information like a credit card, phone number, or filling out a captcha. Choosing among the easy two-thirds, they targeted about 15 services that let them sign up for a free account or a free trial. The researchers won’t name those vulnerable services, to avoid helping malicious hackers follow in their footsteps. “A lot of these companies are startups trying to get as many users as quickly as possible,” says Salazar. “They’re not really thinking about defending against these kinds of attacks.”
The Caper

Ragan and Salazar created their automated rapid-fire signup and confirmation process with the email service Mandrill and their own program running on Google App Engine. A service called FreeDNS.afraid.org let them create unlimited email addresses on different domains; to create realistic-looking addresses they used variations on actual addresses that they found dumped online after past data breaches. Then they used Python Fabric, a tool that lets developers manage multiple Python scripts, to control the hundreds of computers over which they had taken possession.

One of their first experiments with their new cloud-based botnet was mining the cryptocurrency Litecoin. (That second-most-used cryptocoin is better suited to the cloud computers’ CPUs than Bitcoin, which is most easily mined with GPU chips.) They found that they could produce about 25 cents per account per day based on Litecoin’s exchange rates at the time. Putting their entire botnet behind that effort would have generated $1,750 a week. “And it’s all on someone else’s electricity bill,” says Ragan.

Ragan and Salazar were wary of doing real damage by hogging the services’ electricity or processing, however, so they turned off their mining operation in a matter of hours. For testing, however, they left a small number of mining programs running for two weeks. None were ever detected or shut down.

Aside from Litecoin mining, the researchers say they could have used their cloudbots for more malicious ends—like distributed password-cracking, click fraud, or denial of service attacks that flood target websites with junk traffic. Because the cloud services offer far more networking bandwidth than the average home computer possesses, they say their botnet could have funneled about 20,000 PCs-worth of attack traffic at any given target. Ragan and Salazar weren’t able to actually measure the size of their attack, however, because none of their test targets were able to stay online long enough for an accurate reading. “We’re still looking for volunteers,” Ragan jokes.

More disturbing yet, Ragan and Salazar say targets would find it especially tough to filter out an attack launched from reputable cloud services. “Imagine a distributed denial-of-service attack where the incoming IP addresses are all from Google and Amazon,” says Ragan. “That becomes a challenge. You can’t blacklist that whole IP range.”
Law-Abiding Citizens

Using a cloud-based botnet for that kind of attack, of course, would be illegal. But creating the botnet in the first place might not be, the two researchers argue. They admit they violated quite a few companies’ terms of service agreements, but it’s still a matter of legal debate whether such an action constitutes a crime. Breaking those fine print rules has contributed to some prosecutions under the Computer Fraud and Abuse Act, as in the case of the late Aaron Swartz. But at least one court has ruled that breaking terms of service alone doesn’t constitute computer fraud. And the majority of terms of service violations go unpunished—a good thing given how few Internet users actually read them.

Ragan and Salazar argue that regardless of legal protections, companies need to implement their own anti-automation techniques to prevent the kind of bot-based signups they demonstrated. At the time of their Black Hat talk, they plan to release both the software they used to create and control their cloudbots, as well as defense software they say can protect against their schemes.

Other hackers, after all, haven’t been as polite as Ragan and Salazar in their cloud computing experiments. In the time the two researchers spent probing the loopholes in cloud computing services, they say they’ve already seen companies like AppFog and Engine Yard shut down or turn off their free option as a result of more malicious hackers exploiting their services. Another company specifically cited botnets mining cryptocurrency as its reason for turning off its free account feature.

“We wanted to raise awareness that’s there’s insufficient anti-automation being used to protect against this type of attack,” says Ragan. “Will we see a rise in this type of botnet? The answer is undoubtedly yes.”
godwin is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 08-20-2014, 01:53 AM   #967
Trollollolloing RS sine 2005

Thanked 2,471 Times in 704 Posts
stumbled upon this on kotaku, a bitcoin farm in china,

Inside a Chinese Bitcoin Mine - The CoinsmanThe Coinsman

how the hell can anyone compete with that? $40,000USD in electric bill each month!
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1exotic View Post
Vtec doesn't kick in on Reverse.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ulic Qel-Droma View Post
its like.. oh yeah oh yeah.. ohhhh yeah... OOoooOohh... why's it suddenly feel a bit better... ohhhh yeahh... ohhh...oh..fuck... it probably ripped.
TOPEC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2014, 06:35 PM   #968
Zombie Mod

Thanked 5,169 Times in 1,551 Posts
There's a Newegg.ca promo.

Pay in Bitcoin. $75 off when spending $300+ or $150 off when spending $500+

Code: BITCOINDEALCA

Expires Sept 1
Old 08-26-2014, 08:51 PM   #969
My homepage has been set to RS

for the merchant, not using credit card is about 3% savings right?

for eg
3% off $300 is $9.
That user would then need to return about (75/9 = ~ 7) 7 times and pay with Bitcoin again for newegg to reap these benefits long term.
(not to mention it also spreads the word that newegg is bitcoin friendly)

okay it gets good in the long run, looks like an aggressive initiative.
they must have hashed out the numbers. dont believe they would brute force this

[23-07, 02:03] shawn79 i find that at vietnamese place they cut ur hair like they cut grass
[23-07, 02:03] shawn79 do u go to vietnamese places for haircuts
trancehead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2014, 02:11 AM   #970

It's been a while but here's some cool news

Microsoft Adds Bitcoin Payments for Xbox Games and Mobile Content

Microsoft beats both Apple AND Google to the punch. Pretty impressive.

Paypal is slowly rolling out bitcoin support. When it's fully employed, Paypal merchants will be able to accept bitcoin simply by flipping a switch. Of course they'll not really be enjoying the benefits of it, but still it gets it into their hands.
Old 12-11-2014, 06:25 AM   #971
I have named my kids VIC and VLS

Thanked 14,322 Times in 5,640 Posts
Hmm..interesting.

I'm holding about 1.5 left, kind of looking to sell them off before the holiday season lol a nice little spike would be great
Old 12-11-2014, 06:48 AM   #972

Bitcoin isn't a stock, prices don't go up and down on news like that
Old 12-12-2014, 11:38 AM   #973
HELP ME PLS!!!

Thanked 1,379 Times in 478 Posts
hondaracer how much are you selling it for?
lilaznviper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2014, 11:52 AM   #974
I have named my kids VIC and VLS

Thanked 14,322 Times in 5,640 Posts
Actually only have 1.1 right now

For the 1.1 Id be looking for $450 CAD right now If I was selling it privately, otherwise I'd just wait and use CAvirtex
Old 12-14-2014, 08:22 PM   #975
I *heart* Revscene.net very Muchie

Thanked 1,584 Times in 633 Posts
wait i thought bit coin was dying/dead already

Quote:
Originally Posted by hk20000 View Post
I went up to a cute chick and asked her if she'd let me take a photo of her for $30 she slapped me, she said to me that "I AIN'T A WHORE!"

But other than that I have seen every car on display in DTP just by cruising about in Richmond, thank you very much for collecting them together and get someone to sing a cover for "fuck you".

OH FUCK YOU OH OH OOOOH~
Quote:
Originally Posted by Neva View Post
wtf man? what the hell kind of women do you go for? spca is for animals not dates...
ae101 is offline   Reply With Quote