REVscene - Vancouver Automotive Forum

Welcome to the REVscene Automotive Forum forums.

Registration is Free!You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today! The banners on the left side and below do not show for registered users!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   REVscene Automotive Forum > Automotive Chat > Police Forum

Police Forum Police Head Mod: Skidmark
Questions & info about the Motor Vehicle Act. Mature discussion only.

Old 03-11-2013, 10:35 AM   #1
Ask me about how I answered the question "How fat is TOO fat?"

Thanked 4,122 Times in 1,141 Posts
Getting pulled over without drivers license on you

Always thought about this, what would happen if you were to get pulled over and you don't have your license on you. Say for whatever reason you forgot your wallet at home. You DO actually have a license but you're unable to present it at that very moment. And what if you remember your drivers license number?
Advertisement

░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░
Current
e92 335i 6MT FBO
e90 330i 6MT
Former
e46 330ci 5MT - RIP
uc1 5AT
em2 5MT
db7 5AT - RIP

Quote:
Originally Posted by toyota86 View Post
the guys over at lambo vancouver said there are 60-70 pre-orders already. don't quote me though.
The_AK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2013, 10:42 AM   #2
mb_
WUB WUB WUB WUB WUB

Thanked 7,010 Times in 1,890 Posts
You get a ticket for failing to provide a license
Posted via RS Mobile
mb_ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2013, 10:47 AM   #3
Everyone wants a piece of R S...

depends on the cop and the circumstances. You can get a ticket for failure to provide DL, as well as have your car impounded. However, sometimes if you're nice, and you know the DL #, your address, birthdate and the expiry date on your DL, they can run a check to see if it's valid, and give you a warning.
Quicksilver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2013, 12:22 PM   #4
The Brown Reason

Thanked 5,863 Times in 1,525 Posts
I got a $81 ticket for failure to produce driver's license lol

Be honest and cop won't throw the book at you (because they can, i.e. impoundment/towing)
BrRsn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2013, 12:45 PM   #5
RS Veteran

Thanked 1,265 Times in 618 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Quicksilver View Post
depends on the cop and the circumstances. You can get a ticket for failure to provide DL, as well as have your car impounded. However, sometimes if you're nice, and you know the DL #, your address, birthdate and the expiry date on your DL, they can run a check to see if it's valid, and give you a warning.
A VI for failing to produce when you indeed have a valid DL is pretty extreme. All the PO has to do is run your name and it will show whether you do have a valid DL. That is, if the PO is satisfied that you are who you say you are.
Spidey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2013, 12:47 PM   #6
Even when im right, revscene.net is still right!

I'd say it depends on the cop, a friend of mine got into an accident and his wallet went flying and he couldn't find it so the cop gave him a failure to produce ticket
Past:'06 Civic Si
bluejays is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2013, 01:01 PM   #7
RS has made me the bitter person i am today!

Thanked 1,726 Times in 546 Posts
i got the $81 ticket. I had my DL # memorized and had my other ID's to prove it, but still didnt work
bcedhk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2013, 01:20 PM   #8
I am grateful grapefruit

It depends on the cop - and how suspicious they are. I've heard of stories from Cops talking about drivers who drive while suspended - they would grab info from their sibling/friend - and pretend to be them when they are pulled over.

I would assume that having your DL# memorized would help the cop to identify you, but may not save you from a "fail to produce DL" ticket.
Old 03-11-2013, 01:28 PM   #9
RS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by eddy89 View Post
i got the $81 ticket. I had my DL # memorized and had my other ID's to prove it, but still didnt work
the ticket isn't for not having a DL. it is for not physically having your DL so the PO can examine it. If you were driving while unlicenced, you're opening up another can of worms.
Old 03-11-2013, 01:55 PM   #10
I help report spam so I got this! <--

Thanked 1,215 Times in 535 Posts
"Failure to provide DL".

If you have a secondary ID like the BCID, it will speed up the process tremendously. They will verify current address and birthdate.
Nlkko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2013, 02:14 PM   #11
My dinner reheated before my turbo spooled

I always thought you had 24 hours to produce it at if pulled over without it?
greendb7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2013, 03:11 PM   #12
Rs has made me the man i am today!

Quote:
Originally Posted by greendb7 View Post
I always thought you had 24 hours to produce it at if pulled over without it?
Not in BC. Sec 33(1) MVA $81 Failure to produce DL or Registration papers.

Nice people don't actually get written...
ninjatune is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 03-11-2013, 03:43 PM   #13
Revscene.net has a homepage?!

would keeping a colour photocopy of my license in my car with my address scrubbed out (for security reasons) be any better in any circumstances?

I've had times where i left my wallet at home while driving to a friend's house and had to go back to get it.
jackmeister is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2013, 03:56 PM   #14

I keep a photo of it on my phone + have it memorized just in case

Current
e92 335i 6MT FBO
e90 330i 6MT
Former
e46 330ci 5MT - RIP
uc1 5AT
em2 5MT
db7 5AT - RIP

Quote:
the guys over at lambo vancouver said there are 60-70 pre-orders already. don't quote me though.
Old 03-11-2013, 04:29 PM   #15
RS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by jackmeister View Post
would keeping a colour photocopy of my license in my car with my address scrubbed out (for security reasons) be any better in any circumstances?

I've had times where i left my wallet at home while driving to a friend's house and had to go back to get it.
I know sometimes people will forget their wallet at home on the odd occasion, but if you're at the point where you need a photocopy of your licence in your car, because you constantly forget your wallet at home.... maybe you need to umm.. stop forgetting!
Old 03-11-2013, 07:07 PM   #16
RS Peace Officer

Thanked 1,636 Times in 683 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueG2 View Post
A VI for failing to produce when you indeed have a valid DL is pretty extreme. All the PO has to do is run your name and it will show whether you do have a valid DL. That is, if the PO is satisfied that you are who you say you are.

As someone who had wasted countless hours on personation cases where someone used another's name, I used to almost always issue VTs for fail to produce. Family members, former room mates and close friends have all screwed their buddies by getting them a VT for what the driver actually did. I started taking pictures to attach to my copy of the VT and you would not be surprised how many people suddenly remembered the correct name when the camera appeared, followed with a warning about criminal charges for a traffic ticket if they were lying.
zulutango is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 03-15-2013, 02:13 PM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by zulutango View Post
As someone who had wasted countless hours on personation cases where someone used another's name, I used to almost always issue VTs for fail to produce. Family members, former room mates and close friends have all screwed their buddies by getting them a VT for what the driver actually did. I started taking pictures to attach to my copy of the VT and you would not be surprised how many people suddenly remembered the correct name when the camera appeared, followed with a warning about criminal charges for a traffic ticket if they were lying.
Why would it make a difference if its a photograph, photocopy or an actual copy of the license? You have all the necessary information to look the person up.

Current
e92 335i 6MT FBO
e90 330i 6MT
Former
e46 330ci 5MT - RIP
uc1 5AT
em2 5MT
db7 5AT - RIP

Quote:
Old 03-15-2013, 04:04 PM   #18
I bringith the lowerballerith

Because we can't see photos linked to a drivers licence in our computer. Not hard to doctor up a drivers licence, make a photocopy/take a photo of the fake thing and present it as real. When we have the real one in-hand, we can confirm its authenticity and that it belongs to the person who handed it to us.
"Never give a match up halfway through. Never say that you do not feel up to it, that your condition is bad, and throw in the towel. Fight to the very end, always looking for your chance to break through." - Kazuzo Kudo
sho_bc is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 03-15-2013, 08:39 PM   #19
RS Peace Officer

We can also see altered DLs that are used to get into clubs while underage. Yes I seized them. Turning an 8 into a 3 is not that hard on a photocopy...easy to spot on a real DL..which is swiped on the card reader in the Police Car....another way to confirm it is real.
Old 03-16-2013, 09:45 AM   #20

Thanked 2,183 Times in 606 Posts
For my motorcycle insurance they give me 1 piece of paper the size of a license, but it has just the bare minimum on it incase I do get pulled over, but it has the insurance stamp on the back to "make it legit".

Can't they do that with a paper version of an ID just so I can store it in my glove box of my truck along with insurance papers?

Worst case, would I be able to go to icbc and say I lost my dl...get a new duplicate one and just keep it in my glove box?
Posted via RS Mobile
stewie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2013, 10:04 AM   #21
I WANT MY 10 YEARS BACK FROM RS.net!

Thanked 12,136 Times in 3,361 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Quicksilver View Post
This is so true. I got stopped in a roadcheck just outside Kelowna once, in my work van with a cracked windshield. A few days before, I'd put in for a criminal record check and so had to pull out my license for the clerk at the cop shop to photocopy... then put it back in a coat pocket instead of my wallet, and forgot it there.

Fortunately the cop who stopped me appreciated the irony of it... took my SIN number instead to look me up, let me go with just a box 3 and 15 days to get the windshield fixed.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brianrietta View Post
Not a sebberry post goes by where I don't frown and think to myself "so..?"
Soundy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2013, 06:07 AM   #22
RS Peace Officer

Kelowna eh?? Was that more than 12 months ago??? I could maybe make a phone call...........
Criminal record eh....the only one I can think of is anything sung by "The Beaver"....
Old 06-27-2013, 07:00 AM   #23
I WANT MY 10 YEARS BACK FROM RS.net!

Thanked 12,136 Times in 3,361 Posts
Quote:
Criminal record eh....the only one I can think of is anything sung by "The Beaver"....
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brianrietta View Post
Not a sebberry post goes by where I don't frown and think to myself "so..?"
Soundy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2013, 07:25 AM   #24

Thanked 2,183 Times in 606 Posts
Quote:
say I went out one night, kept the wallet at home, just took a money clip with my id. I lose my DL that night and get pulled over the day after. in that event that I were to not have my DL, yet I had the rest of my wallet..i know my DL id number, give all the right information, and show a firearms license and the other 15 random licenses/cards with my name and address and photo on them with the same information to prove im not lying...any leniency there?
stewie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2013, 08:04 AM   #25
Ricer Mod

Thanked 5,276 Times in 1,501 Posts
I was stopped at a license check driving my 5 ton and I had forgot my wallet in my bowling bag. Gave the officer my license number and birth date and he came back after checking it out and told me to drive safe and be sure to remember it next time. It all comes down to the particular officer that pulled you over just like most other tickets. Most officers aren't inherently "assholes" I've received a lot of tickets in my day but also been let off a fair amount as well.

Berz out.
Posted via RS Mobile
Berzerker is offline   Reply With Quote