REVscene - Vancouver Automotive Forum

Welcome to the REVscene Automotive Forum forums.

Registration is Free!You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today! The banners on the left side and below do not show for registered users!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   REVscene Automotive Forum > Automotive Chat > Vancouver Off-Topic / Current Events

Vancouver Off-Topic / Current Events The off-topic forum for Vancouver, funnies, non-auto centered discussions, WORK SAFE. While the rules are more relaxed here, there are still rules. Please refer to sticky thread in this forum.

Old 03-24-2013, 08:30 PM   #26
Ready to be Man handled by RS!

Thanked 1,502 Times in 506 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by parm104 View Post
Good point but I honestly think that this scenario is rarer than you think it is.
Really? I bet if you ask attendants what people say to them if they show up while getting a ticket that the most common heard excuse is "I'm only 2 minutes late...".

I think it's as universal as "the cheque is in the mail."
Advertisement
dangonay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2013, 08:49 PM   #27
What hasn't Killed me, has made me more tolerant of RS!

putting a dime into meters is great and all but dont forget that a lot fo the 4 flashing zero meters are actually paid by phone /app
luibei is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2013, 09:02 PM   #28
RS.net, where our google ads make absolutely no sense!

I hate how the government sees parking ticket as a source of revenue. This way they see it was a way to line their pockets even more. What do they do? Make more pay parking spots, hike up the rates.

Parking ticket should be a punishment for parking violation, and not seen as a way to generate revenue.
Geoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2013, 09:11 PM   #29
Rs has made me the woman i am today!

Thanked 6,693 Times in 1,625 Posts
Genuine question - the meter-maids always say "I can't tell how long it's been empty for" when people tell them they missed it by a few minutes.

Is this true?
inv4zn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2013, 09:25 PM   #30
Where's my RS Christmas Lobster?!

There is actually a 2 minute grace period after the meter expires where it displays solid zeros. After the 2 minutes, it will start flashing.

Parking Secret No. 13. When the time runs out on your parking meter, you always get a two-minute “grace period”, regardless of whether you paid for four minutes or an hour. During that grace period, the meter will display a solid “000” instead of a flashing “0000” and you will not receive a ticket. However, the grace period also means if you tell an officer the meter just ran out, they know if you’re lying.

Reposting this article since it's been a few years

Top tricks and secrets to avoid getting a parking ticket
xxxrsxxx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2013, 09:35 PM   #31
Rs has made me the man i am today!

Thanked 1,587 Times in 631 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by dangonay View Post
Really? I bet if you ask attendants what people say to them if they show up while getting a ticket that the most common heard excuse is "I'm only 2 minutes late...".

I think it's as universal as "the cheque is in the mail."
That's his point; people SAY they are 2 minutes late, but far more often than not, that is simply not the case and they are more likely 10+ minutes late...
bballguy is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 03-24-2013, 10:00 PM   #32
I Will not Admit my Addiction to RS

Quote:
Originally Posted by MG1 View Post
...............and you are what again?

nvm.......... username

sorry, could not resist.
I am a mechanic if you have to ask. there are 2 parking maids by where i work. and do nothing but piss off the dealer that i work at and the dealer next door.
along the whole street is a 2 hour only parking because the district of north van does not want people to park and ride around the park. It is pretty retarded as there is never any one at that park mondays to fridays. We asked if they can just not enforce it like the city of north vancouver does with the automall and ignores all the 2 hour parkings over there. All they have to say is for our safety. what kind of fucking safety is there if we are running out of the shop and forgetting to tighten an important nut or bolt on a car because we have to run out and move our cars before we get towed or ticketed.
1995 Nissan 240sx SOLD
2009 Saturn Astra
some_punk is offline   Reply With Quote
This post FAILED by:
Old 03-24-2013, 10:05 PM   #33
resident Oil Guru

Thanked 10,457 Times in 1,794 Posts
If you use the app to pay for parking, how does it work, do the officers see that it's paid for via a live connection?
LiquidTurbo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2013, 10:20 PM   #34
The Lone Wanderator

Thanked 4,367 Times in 1,137 Posts
Unfortunately, our beliefs in the 'fairness' or 'rightness' of these laws does not affect their validity. The laws were put there by the city or the municipality, and we have to follow them. If the parking laws are really affecting your business so heavily and the parking restrictions have no benefit to the peoples of the city, then why not start sending letters or calling the city counselors? Your businesses pay tax and should hold weight when it comes to policy.
Graeme S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2013, 10:37 PM   #35
Rs has made me the man i am today!

Thanked 1,587 Times in 631 Posts
Why doesn't a dealership have its own private parking lot...?
bballguy is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
This post FAILED by:
Old 03-24-2013, 11:57 PM   #36
MOD

Thanked 7,553 Times in 1,957 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by LiquidTurbo View Post
If you use the app to pay for parking, how does it work, do the officers see that it's paid for via a live connection?
Yes they check the meter number to see if you paid or not.
Posted via RS Mobile
Gh0stRider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2013, 12:12 AM   #37
MOD MOD MOD MOD MOD

Thanked 3,511 Times in 1,156 Posts
got a parking ticket by city of surrey last year in august (for parking too close to a driveway, which I wasn't doing. but apparently a lot of people parked on the street got tickets that day), disputed it, they said they will continue with court proceedings if i don't pay, just got a letter earlier last week saying that they are cancelling the ticket due to insufficient evidence

in any case I always use pay by phone when parking at a meter in vancouver, so convenient. it even sends you texts when time is about to run out, then you can call in and extend your time.
[03-07, 03:26] Yodamaster - The feeling when you quickly insert without hitting the sides
nabs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2013, 01:37 AM   #38
Banned (ABWS)?

Thanked 3,984 Times in 1,689 Posts
People should just suck it up and stop whining if they broke the law.
It's pretty "black & white" when it comes to these traffic laws.
Last edited by AzNightmare; Today at 10:09 AM
AzNightmare is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 03-25-2013, 01:39 AM   #39
Banned (ABWS)?

Thanked 3,984 Times in 1,689 Posts
whoops, double post.
Last edited by AzNightmare; Today at 10:09 AM
AzNightmare is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2013, 04:27 AM   #40
y'all better put some respeck on my name

Thanked 9,244 Times in 2,359 Posts
Quote:
In one especially violent case June 30, 2011, an officer reported that he was talking to several parking-meter technicians on East Broadway when a man walking by said, “Why don’t you get back to work, you f---ing squids.”

“I said, ‘You get back to work, you squid,’” the officer writes.

“We were face to face, words were exchanged. He threw a right punch fist that hit my left eye. I defended myself with punches. I grabbed his hair, and he used his thumb to gouge my left eye. . . . A passing cop stopped and broke us up.”

It appears the bylaw officer involved in the brawl also filed about four additional physical conflicts reports.

An Oct. 30, 2011, incident report suggests that officer was advised by a supervisor “when it would be beneficial to disengage and cautioned when to issue another violation that may escalate a situation.”

Wtf? This guy should have lost his job for actually getting in a verbal and physical altercation with someone.
Harvey Specter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2013, 06:06 AM   #41
MOD

Ya ive been ticketed and towed for parking too close to the curb. Oh well
Posted via RS Mobile
Old 03-25-2013, 06:32 AM   #42
I WANT MY 10 YEARS BACK FROM RS.net!

Thanked 12,136 Times in 3,361 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by parm104 View Post
Reminds me of a CTV article I read a few days ago of a man who travelled to Mexico and let his son play games and watch YouTube videos on the internet. After he got his rather expensive cell phone bill, he blamed everything and everyone but himself for not being a responsible cell phone owner.
Actually, I heard an interview with the guy on the radio Saturday - reason he didn't take the blame at first was because he had purposely put the phone on Airplane Mode before leaving the country, so naturally had no reason to think the bill was legit. When he called Rogers about the $22,000(!!) bill, the first thing the rep did was chuckle, say they didn't expect he'd pay that much anyway, and knocked it down to $2000. Of course, still not believing that the bill could be right - because he "knew" his phone had been on airplane mode the whole time - he fought it all the way to the top and got the bill reduced to $200.

It was only after all that mess that his kid admitted he'd turned it on to watch videos, and had planned to pay the bill himself, expecting it to be maybe $50. The dad then accepted that it was partially his fault, as he was there in the room as all this was going on, and didn't notice it... so he and the kid each paid $100.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brianrietta View Post
Not a sebberry post goes by where I don't frown and think to myself "so..?"
Soundy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2013, 06:46 AM   #43

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gh0stRider View Post
Ya ive been ticketed and towed for parking too close to the curb. Oh well
Posted via RS Mobile
Too close to the curb? Too far I understand but how does being too close bother anyone? WTF, were you on the sidewalk? What's the logic and law behind this?
minoru_tanaka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2013, 06:48 AM   #44
MOD

Quote:
Originally Posted by minoru_tanaka View Post
Too close to the curb? Too far I understand but how does being too close bother anyone? WTF, were you on the sidewalk? What's the logic and law behind this?
3m within curb letdown or driveway letdown is the bylaw

Gh0stRider's Buy & Sell Feedback

Quote:
Originally Posted by CharlieH View Post
whole time i thought gh0strider was white lol

Old 03-25-2013, 07:37 AM   #45

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gh0stRider View Post
3m within curb letdown or driveway letdown is the bylaw
Curb Letdown. Learned a new word today
minoru_tanaka is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 03-25-2013, 08:25 AM   #46

Quote:
Originally Posted by Graeme S View Post
Unfortunately, our beliefs in the 'fairness' or 'rightness' of these laws does not affect their validity. The laws were put there by the city or the municipality, and we have to follow them. If the parking laws are really affecting your business so heavily and the parking restrictions have no benefit to the peoples of the city, then why not start sending letters or calling the city counselors? Your businesses pay tax and should hold weight when it comes to policy.
I have tried contacting them . But theyes say that the residents complain about people parking in front of theIraq houses. Which is sucking retarded as the businesses were here first. And as a dealer our front lot is filled with used cars. Back lot is filled with new stock or sservice customer cars. I have trid to explain it to them that no other dealers in the district of north Vancouver. In the automall there is 2hrs signs all over but the city of north Vancouver Hess told the meter maids to ignore those signs..
Posted via RS Mobile
This post FAILED by:
Old 03-25-2013, 08:31 AM   #47

Quote:
Originally Posted by bballguy View Post
Why doesn't a dealership have its own private parking lot...?
None of the nor th shore dealers has enough room to supply parking for employees.
Posted via RS Mobile
This post FAILED by:
Old 03-25-2013, 08:33 AM   #48
Zionism gets my shell hard and slimy

Thanked 6,021 Times in 1,129 Posts
ive never really understood why people get so mad when they do something wrong, then get caught... ive come out to a parking ticket 1 time, looked at it realized that it could be lower if i paid right away so i did that, im the one that decided to park there, at least i have the option to make it cheaper.

think how roads/hwys and parking would be if there was no fines.. no one would give a fck.

kinda bring up roads and hwys for people that complain about getting a speeding tickets. ill admit i speed, 10-20 over the limit on occasion "who dosnt?" i will never complain if i get caught because the cop isnt pressing the gas pedal, i am, its their job to enforce the law.. just my opinion.
snails is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2013, 08:49 AM   #49
I am grateful grapefruit

Quote:
Originally Posted by Geoc View Post
I hate how the government sees parking ticket as a source of revenue. This way they see it was a way to line their pockets even more. What do they do? Make more pay parking spots, hike up the rates.

Parking ticket should be a punishment for parking violation, and not seen as a way to generate revenue.
Honestly, I'd rather have parking fines, as opposed to higher taxes. The city's operational budget has to come from somewhere - and if you're diligent about paying for the meter or following street signs, that money won't be coming out of your pocket.

I remember hearing Robertson on a radio show a few months back... I don't agree with everything he has done - but he defended those parking street signs and meters quite well.

the short term parking street signs that are around the city are actually there to promote quick turn-around time for businesses. If it's a commercial area and there's no maximum parking time - people would just park there all day, and the businesses wouldn't have any spots for their customers to park. They look at commercial areas - and look at how many spots are usually available during business hours, and adjust accordingly. Same goes with residential parking - if it's close to an commercial area - they will make it a permit only parking, etc - to make sure residents have enough parking for themselves.

And he explained how meter parking reflects the common price of parking around the area. Parking downtown via meter is expensive - but it's generally cheaper (but shorter term), than parking in the parkades. And for those who don't know - during off-peak hours (I believe it's after 6), you can actually park for an hour more than the max if you're paying by phone.
Old 03-25-2013, 08:55 AM   #50

Ive got to be honest some of these parking meter attendants are real idiots. I was going
G-Men on Alexandra Road in Richmond for some ramen with a friend and I walked to the parking meter to pay for my parking.I noticed the city workers were checking for paid parking and handing tickets out. Just as I was waiting for my ticket to print and glanced around I noticed the city worker was in the midst of processing a ticket. Figure the guy would look around to double check what car people at the pay station were paying for. I yelled "Hey I was in the middle of paying for my ticket!"

If I had gotten a ticket Id probably go ape shit.
toyobaru is offline   Reply With Quote
This post FAILED by: