REVscene - Vancouver Automotive Forum

Welcome to the REVscene Automotive Forum forums.

Registration is Free!You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today! The banners on the left side and below do not show for registered users!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   REVscene Automotive Forum > Automotive Chat > Vancouver Off-Topic / Current Events

Vancouver Off-Topic / Current Events The off-topic forum for Vancouver, funnies, non-auto centered discussions, WORK SAFE. While the rules are more relaxed here, there are still rules. Please refer to sticky thread in this forum.

Old 03-25-2013, 09:04 AM   #51
I contribute to threads in the offtopic forum

Thanked 2,621 Times in 684 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Soundy View Post
Actually, I heard an interview with the guy on the radio Saturday - reason he didn't take the blame at first was because he had purposely put the phone on Airplane Mode before leaving the country, so naturally had no reason to think the bill was legit. When he called Rogers about the $22,000(!!) bill, the first thing the rep did was chuckle, say they didn't expect he'd pay that much anyway, and knocked it down to $2000. Of course, still not believing that the bill could be right - because he "knew" his phone had been on airplane mode the whole time - he fought it all the way to the top and got the bill reduced to $200.

It was only after all that mess that his kid admitted he'd turned it on to watch videos, and had planned to pay the bill himself, expecting it to be maybe $50. The dad then accepted that it was partially his fault, as he was there in the room as all this was going on, and didn't notice it... so he and the kid each paid $100.
He's also milked his story and changed it on several different interviews. I never heard the radio interview though but I see what you're saying.

Still, he's talking about how cell phone users are mistreated and restricted in contracts and treated horribly when he had actually received an unwarranted benefit from the company. They cut his charges more than 80% out of good will.

And besides, let's say his Airplane Mode story is true...if he put his phone in "airplane mode" and he received a text message, obviously something has happened either human or based on his cell phone...(totally unrelated to the cell phone carrier) that would indicate that the airplane mode was no longer engaged.

The part that irked me about this was because this guy made himself out to be some sort of a consumer hero but when in actuality he was just too dumb to realize giving his phone to his kid unsupervised would cost tons of money.
Advertisement
Old 03-25-2013, 09:14 AM   #52
PJ
My name is PJ and I like dogs.

Thanked 1,683 Times in 532 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by xxxrsxxx View Post
There is actually a 2 minute grace period after the meter expires where it displays solid zeros. After the 2 minutes, it will start flashing.

Parking Secret No. 13. When the time runs out on your parking meter, you always get a two-minute “grace period”, regardless of whether you paid for four minutes or an hour. During that grace period, the meter will display a solid “000” instead of a flashing “0000” and you will not receive a ticket. However, the grace period also means if you tell an officer the meter just ran out, they know if you’re lying.
Tell people there's a 2 minute grace period, and next time they get a ticket, they'll still say they were "just 2 minutes over" the 2 minute grace period.

Hello my name is PJ.

Buy/Sell Feedback 1-0-0
PJ is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 03-25-2013, 09:20 AM   #53
I WANT MY 10 YEARS BACK FROM RS.net!

Thanked 12,136 Times in 3,361 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by PJ View Post
Tell people there's a 2 minute grace period, and next time they get a ticket, they'll still say they were "just 2 minutes over" the 2 minute grace period.
That's like saying cops give a 10km/h grace on speeding, then complaining because you got a ticket at 11km/h over.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brianrietta View Post
Not a sebberry post goes by where I don't frown and think to myself "so..?"
Soundy is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 03-25-2013, 09:21 AM   #54

Thanked 9,824 Times in 3,904 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gh0stRider View Post

In one especially violent case June 30, 2011, an officer reported that he was talking to several parking-meter technicians on East Broadway when a man walking by said, “Why don’t you get back to work, you f---ing squids.”

“I said, ‘You get back to work, you squid,’” the officer writes.

“We were face to face, words were exchanged. He threw a right punch fist that hit my left eye. I defended myself with punches. I grabbed his hair, and he used his thumb to gouge my left eye. . . . A passing cop stopped and broke us up.”

After ticketing an unmarked police car parked in a “no stopping” sign area, the bylaw officer alleges a sergeant approached him, flashed his badge, said, “We work for the same boss,” and asked him to cancel the ticket.

“I said I could not take back the ticket,” the bylaw officer claimed. “He said, ‘You have just signed your death certificate.’”

In a January 2012 case, an off-duty police officer who was ticketed allegedly said: “Thanks for the professional courtesy. Just remember, next time you guys need us, we won’t be there for you.”
Okay the first meter maid is a fucking idiot for talking back on duty with a grade school response...very professional

the other two that received death threats from the police... I felt bad but at the threats

Quote:
Originally Posted by heleu View Post
$30?!? I already made my $50 contribution this year!
Yeah I thought CoV parking infractions are at least $50

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hehe View Post
I don't get why US and Canada don't adapt the system I saw in Taipei. It would help to reduce the aggression toward officers so much.

The system works like this... You don't pre-paid for parking, someone would come around with a printed tab that's marked with 30min slots. The officers simply come by to stamp additional slots as time passes. When you are done parking, you take the tab, leave and pay it at any 7-11. If you don't pay for certain days, then the parking fee becomes more and more expensive. So, people are motivated to pay it ASAP.

And for places where parking is prohibited, they have actual police issuing tickets/towing.
too much man power I would guess....the meter maids there probably aren't unionized and grossly overpaid.

Quote:
3m within curb letdown or driveway letdown is the bylaw
damn 3m applies to the drive way as well? I've always wanted a smart car so I can park in those tiny gaps between the meter and a driveway

Quote:
Originally Posted by PJ View Post
I can totally see myself making that argument
twitchyzero is offline   Reply With Quote
This post FAILED by:
Old 03-25-2013, 09:22 AM   #55
F**K YOUR HEAD

Thanked 8,153 Times in 1,251 Posts
Lol throughout that whole Rogers story you can't help but to ask whether the guy was stupid or just a complete liar who was trying to get away with it.

Totally agree with Pj about the grace period, mad people gonna be mad
ilvtofu is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 03-25-2013, 10:07 AM   #56
WHAT? NO FOOD?

Thanked 1,134 Times in 231 Posts
I am curious,
does the parking tickets go on your record permanently or what?

[29-04, 00:14] El Bastardo: Santofu isn't the hero Revscene needs, but hes the hero Revscene deserves
Santofu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2013, 10:21 AM   #57
Banned By Establishment

The way I look at it, treat people how you expect to be treated.
So if you disrespect or start yelling/swearing at a bylaw officer while he is writing you a ticket, do you think they will stop writing? I don't think so.
racerman88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2013, 10:46 AM   #58
Ubereem Mod

Well, with all that has been said...

Still the enforcement officers are sometimes a joke, or on "zombie mode". I paid my meter all the time with the pay by phone app or calling. I have gotten 3 freaking tickets from the city of vancouver for 0.00 on the meter, and every time I have to call them up. Explain it and then they will go check their computer and then go "oh sorry, i will cancel it now."

Every single time, it cost me 30mins to 1 hour on the phone, it is an absolute pain which causes me to dislike the enforcement officers immensely.

You can say, one bad apple doesn't make them all bad BUT when that 1 bad apple causes you pain moe then once, I am or most people with likely GENERALIZE it to all.

/rant.
Gt-R R34 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2013, 11:18 AM   #59
My AFC gave me an ABS CEL code of LOL while at WOT!

Quote:
Originally Posted by twitchyzero View Post
Yeah I thought CoV parking infractions are at least $50
Their $100 and increase to $150 if not paid by a certain date and the only thing you can dispute is whether or not it was you (another $25 if you lose).

Cars:
02' Lexus IS300 5spd
07' BMW 323iA
05' BMW Z4 5spd
06' BMW 330i 6spd
10' Audi A4 quattro
08' BMW M3 6spd
15' Kawasaki Ninja300
08' Yamaha R6
10' Honda Ridgeline
17' Audi Q5
16' BMW X5D

bing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2013, 11:27 AM   #60
RS.net, where our google ads make absolutely no sense!

Quote:
Originally Posted by bing View Post
Their $100 and increase to $150 if not paid by a certain date and the only thing you can dispute is whether or not it was you (another $25 if you lose).
Nah, it's $50 for a parking ticket in COV if you pay within the first 30 days. I got one in February so I would know...
heleu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2013, 11:33 AM   #61
My AFC gave me an ABS CEL code of LOL while at WOT!

Quote:
Nah, it's $50 for a parking ticket in COV if you pay within the first 30 days. I got one in February so I would know...
I should clarify, it looks like it depends on the by-law violated. I got my notice for 'stop in reserved portion' (17.2[J]) in March for an infraction in Feb.
http://former.vancouver.ca/bylaws/2849c.PDF

17.1 to 17.5 inclusive, 17.6(a), 17.6(b), 17.6(c), 17.6(d), 17.6(g), 17.6A, 17.7, 18.1, 18.2, 18.3, 19.1, 21.1 to 21.7 inclusive, 22.1, 22.4, 23.1, 23.1A, 23.3 and 30(2)....$100.00

Cars:
02' Lexus IS300 5spd
07' BMW 323iA
05' BMW Z4 5spd
06' BMW 330i 6spd
10' Audi A4 quattro
08' BMW M3 6spd
15' Kawasaki Ninja300
08' Yamaha R6
10' Honda Ridgeline
17' Audi Q5
16' BMW X5D

Last edited by bing; 03-25-2013 at 11:03 PM.
bing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2013, 12:24 PM   #62
MOD

Thanked 7,553 Times in 1,957 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Santofu View Post
I am curious,
does the parking tickets go on your record permanently or what?
They keep a record of your parking tickets ya
Posted via RS Mobile
Gh0stRider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2013, 12:27 PM   #63
I keep RS good

Thanked 5,539 Times in 1,502 Posts
Loevinger's stages of ego development - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

E3.
Ulic Qel-Droma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2013, 12:36 PM   #64
Rs has made me the man i am today!

Thanked 2,183 Times in 606 Posts
bylaw officers and meter readers over exaggerate like no other...

i had a coworker (im city worker) who got a ticket in the city he works for. even though he got to his car BEFORE she had written and input the ticket in her little machine, he talked to her since we've all seen each other pass by/fill up our trucks/cars in the city service yard. she was a bitch, wouldnt give him any grace, wrote the ticket, put it on his dash. my bud was laughing and jokingly said "fucker ima kill you in the yard(service yard)".

next day at work, halfway through the day, he was taken off his job site and fired on the spot for giving a death threat to the lady...after she wrote the ticket she went crying saying she was scared for her life cause he knows where she works and sees her on a daily basis and she would need counselling from seeing him everyday...so bitch got him fired and he had no way of getting his job back...a full time union member...gone

ive barely any respect for them. sure they're doing their jobs, but they give themselves the bad rap.
stewie is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
This post FAILED by:
Old 03-25-2013, 12:49 PM   #65
I *heart* Revscene.net very Muchie

Thanked 3,236 Times in 1,222 Posts
That doesn't surprise me at all, you have to be so careful with who you joke around with at work these days, one comment or joke taken the wrong way by somebody and suddenly your jobs in jeopardy.
Posted via RS Mobile
MarkyMark is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2013, 01:41 PM   #66
OMGWTFBBQ is a common word I say everyday

Thanked 1,557 Times in 511 Posts
My office has windows that face towards a bus stop and always see people getting ticketed for parking in the no stopping zone. Even my Purolator driving parks there when he delivers packages as there is literally no other parking on the street.
One time we both saw he was going to get a ticketed and he started laughing. I asked him if he has to pay for his fines, and he says no. Apparently because they are run by the government, all tickets get covered by the gov't and the drivers only have to pay for tickets if they park in zones with fire hydrants. So pretty much they ticket them and in the end the money comes out of our pockets. So then my Purolator driver says to the meter maid "well if your going to ticket me here you might as well as ticket me the next block over" as he was going to park in another bus zone again to make his delivery, lo and behold meter maid was waiting for him at the next stop.

Saturday I was with the GF downtown waiting for our food at Mean Poutine on Nelson, and I saw this BMW that was parked right in front and his meter was out. I already know about the whole 2-min grace period, so I was sitting there and watching his grace period end, 3 mins later the city comes by and checks the meter out. At this time the grace period was already over, both of them looked around and literally waited a couple more mins before they started writing it up.. I thought they would've written it up right away but they even gave the guy a chance to come back, but he didn't. I laughed and ate my awesome Philly Cheese Steak poutine and It was delicious.

Current:
2006 Honda Fourtrax Rancher 400cc ATV (Offroad trails + Winter Snow Plow)
1995 Toyota Tacoma (Toy Hauler)
2003 Honda Civic SIR (Daily Beater)
2018 KTM 390 Duke (Gas Saver)
2017 Subaru WRX Sport-Tech + STI 6MT (Weekend Track)

Past:
2014 Honda Grom
1971 MG MGB Tourer
Kayo MR125 Race Bike
2001 Honda Odyssey
2009 Toyota Corolla CE
2007 Honda Ruckus
2007 Husqvarna SM610 SuperMoto
2001 Honda S2000
Dragon-88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2013, 01:43 PM   #67
RS.net, helping ugly ppl have sex since 2001

Thanked 2,558 Times in 925 Posts
Quote:
Doesn't work with city bylaws
Posted via RS Mobile
Does it work with diamond or imperial parking?
Mike Oxbig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2013, 01:58 PM   #68
CRS
ninja edits your posts without your knowledge

Thanked 6,310 Times in 1,777 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Earl View Post
Does it work with diamond or imperial parking?
Yes.

However, you're going to get collections calling you/contacting you until the claim goes dormant.

My FeedBack 53-0-0
CRS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2013, 05:53 PM   #69
Banned (ABWS)

LOL parking maids want our sympathy.
Red-nijzllab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2013, 06:01 PM   #70
nns

Thanked 1,843 Times in 553 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dragon-88 View Post
My office has windows that face towards a bus stop and always see people getting ticketed for parking in the no stopping zone. Even my Purolator driving parks there when he delivers packages as there is literally no other parking on the street.
One time we both saw he was going to get a ticketed and he started laughing. I asked him if he has to pay for his fines, and he says no. Apparently because they are run by the government, all tickets get covered by the gov't and the drivers only have to pay for tickets if they park in zones with fire hydrants. So pretty much they ticket them and in the end the money comes out of our pockets. So then my Purolator driver says to the meter maid "well if your going to ticket me here you might as well as ticket me the next block over" as he was going to park in another bus zone again to make his delivery, lo and behold meter maid was waiting for him at the next stop.

Saturday I was with the GF downtown waiting for our food at Mean Poutine on Nelson, and I saw this BMW that was parked right in front and his meter was out. I already know about the whole 2-min grace period, so I was sitting there and watching his grace period end, 3 mins later the city comes by and checks the meter out. At this time the grace period was already over, both of them looked around and literally waited a couple more mins before they started writing it up.. I thought they would've written it up right away but they even gave the guy a chance to come back, but he didn't. I laughed and ate my awesome Philly Cheese Steak poutine and It was delicious.
Purolator is run by the federal government? Or do you mean Canada Post?

edit: it is. Wiki: Purolator Inc. is a Canadian courier that is 91% owned by Canada Post Corporation
Old 03-25-2013, 06:57 PM   #71
UFO

Quote:
Originally Posted by twitchyzero View Post
damn 3m applies to the drive way as well? I've always wanted a smart car so I can park in those tiny gaps between the meter and a driveway

I can totally see myself making that argument
I believe it is 1.5m for driveways.

6m from intersecting sidewalk (i got ticketed and towed for this), 5m from fire hydrants and stop signs.
UFO is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 03-25-2013, 07:03 PM   #72
nns

Thanked 1,843 Times in 553 Posts
Five meters from a fire hydrant, and six meters from a stop sign.

http://vancouver.ca/streets-transpor...and-lanes.aspx
Old 03-25-2013, 09:10 PM   #73
MOD

Thanked 7,553 Times in 1,957 Posts
oops, i thought it was 3m from driveway.

Gh0stRider's Buy & Sell Feedback

Quote:
Originally Posted by CharlieH View Post
whole time i thought gh0strider was white lol

Gh0stRider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2013, 09:50 PM   #74

Thanked 12,136 Times in 3,361 Posts
Quote:
Either you know wrong, or it's different in different areas, because I got one in Feb and one in March down by Coal Harbour: $35 if paid within 15 days, $70 within 30 days, $105 after that.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brianrietta View Post
Not a sebberry post goes by where I don't frown and think to myself "so..?"
Soundy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2013, 09:53 PM   #75
UFO

In the last 2-3 years, the parking tickets I've gotten have been $50 if paid within 30 days, $100 after that; in the VGH and Kits areas. The 'official' wording my buddy that works with the city uses is that it's a $100 fine, but 50% discount if paid within 30 days.
UFO is offline   Reply With Quote