REVscene - Vancouver Automotive Forum

Welcome to the REVscene Automotive Forum forums.

Registration is Free!You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today! The banners on the left side and below do not show for registered users!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   REVscene Automotive Forum > Automotive Chat > Vancouver Off-Topic / Current Events

Vancouver Off-Topic / Current Events The off-topic forum for Vancouver, funnies, non-auto centered discussions, WORK SAFE. While the rules are more relaxed here, there are still rules. Please refer to sticky thread in this forum.

Old 04-15-2013, 01:20 PM   #76
Head Moderator

Thanked 6,462 Times in 2,081 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by VRYALT3R3D View Post
Anyone with half a brain will wait awhile after everything has happened to start drawing conclusions. Taking blind guesses as to who is responsible is ignorant.

I would have hoped this never happened in the first place.
See, if the world was full of rational people, then I would completely agree with you. Unfortunately the world has its share of nutjobs who assume things based on anecdotal evidence and jump to the first conclusion that comes to mind, regardless of if those facts are actually legitimate or not. Sadly Amurrica has it's own grouping that falls into this catagory.

I, too, have hoped that this sort of thing would not happen again -- regardless of what country it occurs in -- but it's a very unrealistic dream.
Advertisement
Lomac is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 04-15-2013, 01:20 PM   #77
RS has made me the bitter person i am today!

Thanked 1,726 Times in 546 Posts
At least they found the suspect. Or hopefully they did cause I'm sure media would have loved to link the story with North Korea
bcedhk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2013, 01:21 PM   #78
"Entertainment" mod.

Thanked 3,427 Times in 1,048 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by quasi View Post
That's brutal, I wonder who's behind it?

In before CharlesInCharge posts a link to some inside job conspiracy.
Quoted so it's not buried among other comments, also waiting for PressTV biased coverage.

Absolutely messed up situation, but the Boston Marathon? I'm wondering why pick that event outside of the high concentration of people.
CorneringArtist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2013, 01:23 PM   #79
RS has made me the bitter person i am today!

Thanked 1,726 Times in 546 Posts
probably cause is an event covered by international media.
bcedhk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2013, 01:23 PM   #80
RS.net, helping ugly ppl have sex since 2001

Thanked 2,558 Times in 925 Posts
North Korea's Kim Jong Un did say: "The moment of explosion is near" like, 10 days ago...

Americans probably bomb themselves (like 9/11) just to start a war using what Kim Jong Un said. Where's Charlesinchange? We need a conspiracy theorist.
Mike Oxbig is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 04-15-2013, 01:24 PM   #81
My homepage has been set to RS

Thanked 1,458 Times in 588 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Earl View Post
North Korea's Kim Jong Un did say: "The moment of explosion is near" like, 10 days ago...

Americans probably bomb themselves (like 9/11) just to start a war using what Kim Jong Un said. Where's Charlesinchange? We need a conspiracy theorist.
Saw the exact post on somebody's FB status was like ....... (can't tell if serious or...)
shawnly1000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2013, 01:25 PM   #82
Head Moderator

Just as an aside here, the first few hours after an incident is always filled with a bunch of misinformation. Not saying it's intentional but eyewitness accounts are always contradictory (reports saying the two explosions happened anywhere between fifteen seconds and two minutes apart, etc). Don't necessarily rely on what's being told by the media because they're simply relaying information as they're being told it. It's too early into the event to fully get all the true facts. Much better to wait until the press conferences before assuming X-number of people were killed or how many explosions there actually were, etc.
This post thanked by:
Old 04-15-2013, 01:26 PM   #83
RS.net, helping ugly ppl have sex since 2001

Thanked 2,558 Times in 925 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by shawnly1000 View Post
Saw the exact post on somebody's FB status was like ....... (can't tell if serious or...)
i copied and pasted it from him
Mike Oxbig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2013, 01:29 PM   #84
I contribute to threads in the offtopic forum

Thanked 1,118 Times in 530 Posts
It's sad that they have to attack a sporting event where religion, racism, sex, gender etc doesn't even matter.
highfive is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 04-15-2013, 01:30 PM   #85
The sound of inevitability

Aww.. come on. I've already lost most of my liberties already..

Please don't be mudslimes, please don't be mudslimes..

The only ocean creature you can call yourself is the giant squid. He's the destroyer of ships, and the eater of seamen. At least you share one of those traits.
-Hypa

mixed girls that look predominatly asian with subtle caucasian features=what i'd give my left nut for
-6chr0nic4
The7even is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 04-15-2013, 01:31 PM   #86

Old 04-15-2013, 01:33 PM   #87
Everyone wants a piece of R S...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lomac View Post
See, if the world was full of rational people, then I would completely agree with you. Unfortunately the world has its share of nutjobs who assume things based on anecdotal evidence and jump to the first conclusion that comes to mind, regardless of if those facts are actually legitimate or not. Sadly Amurrica has it's own grouping that falls into this catagory.

I, too, have hoped that this sort of thing would not happen again -- regardless of what country it occurs in -- but it's a very unrealistic dream.
Social media is a mixed blessing during a disaster like what just unfolded. A lot of subjective views are published, but facts are few and far between. There are so many opposing claims and ideas that it hard to tell rhetoric from reality. The result is the quality of information we receive is compromised. Information itself is a resource. To be used effectively, it has to be turned into knowledge and understanding.

I see both sides coming up with crazy conclusions:

-Obama did it
-I'd bet a good amount of money this was caused by gun crazies, showing people can be murdered by things other than guns
-Damn ragheads
VRYALT3R3D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2013, 01:34 PM   #88
I *heart* Revscene.net very Muchie

Thanked 7,318 Times in 647 Posts
First Photos From The Scene Of The Boston Marathon Explosion (Extremely Graphic)
LUUUUUUUU is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2013, 01:37 PM   #89

JFK incident not related; rather "fire related"
Old 04-15-2013, 01:38 PM   #90
I WANT MY 10 YEARS BACK FROM RS.net!

Thanked 12,136 Times in 3,361 Posts
Quote:
inB4 American citizens go back to all of their stupid racist rhetoric and demand an invasion of Saudi Arabia.

I really hate to say this but I was kinda hoping it would be a homegrown white guy behind this. Another Timothy Mcveigh, if you will. At least that way we could avoid what's going to inevitably happen.
Steffani Cameron @SnarkySteff
Boston PD officially slamming the irresponsible reportage of @nypost, who insist on wrongfully accusing a Saudi: http://livewire.talkingpointsmemo.co...e-been-made-in

Quote:
A spokesperson for the Boston Police Department said no suspects have been taken into custody yet after the bombing at the Boston Marathon.

"At this time, we haven't been notified of any arrests or anyone apprehended," the spokesperson said.

The New York Post reported that a "Saudi national who suffered shrapnel wounds in today's blast" has been identified as "a suspect in the Boston Marathon bombing." The Boston PD spokesperson did not confirm that report.

"Honestly, I don't know where they're getting their information from, but it didn't come from us," said the spokesperson.

The Post report was attributed to "a law enforcement source." According to the Post, the "suspect" is "currently being guarded in a Boston hospital."

Update (5:27 PM): A spokesperson with the FBI's national press office in Washington DC declined to comment when asked about reports a suspect or person of interest had been identified in the bombings.

Update (5:39 PM): NBC News is also reporting there is a "possible suspect" being guarded at a Boston hospital. After that report, a spokesperson for the Boston Police Department reiterated that they had "no confirmation" of any possible suspect in custody.

"They didn't obtain that information from us," the spokesperson said of the NBC report.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brianrietta View Post
Not a sebberry post goes by where I don't frown and think to myself "so..?"

Last edited by Soundy; 04-15-2013 at 01:44 PM. Reason: Fixed link.
Soundy is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 04-15-2013, 01:38 PM   #91
RS controls my life!

Picture 38.. wow
Gazorcoop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2013, 01:40 PM   #92
My dinner reheated before my turbo spooled

and our Sun Run is this Sunday. bet theres gonna be lots of popos, everyone paranoid n shit
Recon604 is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 04-15-2013, 01:41 PM   #93
The Brown Reason

Thanked 5,863 Times in 1,525 Posts
So many people's lives changed forever .. i.e. photo #38^

Senseless violence .. RIP
BrRsn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2013, 01:42 PM   #94

President Obama to speak on Boston explosions around 1810 EST
Old 04-15-2013, 01:42 PM   #95

Quote:
And of course, once they've drawn their conclusions from whatever probably-inaccurate info fits in with their world view, well, any FACTS to the contrary are obviously lies intended to blind you to the truth. If someone has decided that this was the work of "some damn sand niggers" then there's no swaying them - you could catch four good ol' boys red-handed and have them confess publicly and to the conspiracy nuts, those are just puppets being instructed by the CIA to take the blame to deflect attention.

Isn't that right, Chuckles?
Quote:
This post thanked by:
Old 04-15-2013, 01:45 PM   #96
Head Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Soundy View Post
Steffani Cameron @SnarkySteff
Boston PD officially slamming the irresponsible reportage of @nypost, who insist on wrongfully accusing a Saudi: livewire.talkingpointsmemo.com/entry/boston-p…
Kinda funny how I just finished typing about misinformation flying around and to wait for an official press conference. Glad to hear about this, though. Some reporter probably saw a cop standing near a brown guy and assumed things.
Old 04-15-2013, 01:53 PM   #97
I contribute to threads in the offtopic forum

Thanked 3,842 Times in 879 Posts
Where is Obama right now ? Thatcher funeral?
EmperorIS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2013, 01:53 PM   #98

So now there are conflicting/questionable reports that police ordered cell service shut down in the area in case of other cellular-triggered devices... followed by the inevitable complaints about rights being trampled on, etc.

And all I can think is... imagine TWO MILLION PEOPLE ALL TRYING TO MAKE A PHONE CALL AT THE SAME TIME. How about just, the system is fucking SLAMMED?
Quote:
This post thanked by:
Old 04-15-2013, 02:03 PM   #99

Boston Police Commissioner Ed Davis: "There is no suspect in custody yet. We're questioning many people, but there is no suspect in custody at this time."

As of 16:00PM EST
Old 04-15-2013, 02:04 PM   #100
Banned By Establishment

Thanked 3,492 Times in 1,176 Posts
So sad.

I know someone who has been training for months for this....he passed the finish line 2 hours before the explosions THANKFULLY. Still fucking scary.

RIP to those lost.
dinosaur is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by: