REVscene - Vancouver Automotive Forum

Welcome to the REVscene Automotive Forum forums.

Registration is Free!You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today! The banners on the left side and below do not show for registered users!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   REVscene Automotive Forum > Vancouver LifeStyles (VLS) > Food & Fine Dining

Food & Fine Dining Hungry? Come on down to Wings - Fun, Food and Drinks.
Top Restaurants in town? Got a good recipe to share? Share culinary info or post up photos of your delicious dish. #revsceneVLS

Old 01-27-2016, 04:47 PM   #376
Wunder? Wonder?? Wander???

Quote:
Originally Posted by Z3guy View Post
Dude, your comment about smaller is generally better is completely false. worldwide recognize brands such as whistle pig, templeton, etc buy most of their juice and than just finish blending it. Smaller suppliers do a great job marketing their great story, use great packaging, bottle, and cork stopper and then charge you $60+. Try a bottle of Jim beam blk 9yr or Alberta premium dark horse and let me know if it is good value.
I think we are both completely on a different tangent here, I still stand by my previous comment. However, do let me to explain as I didn't go into great detail previously.

My statement for smaller producers/distillers stand behind "scotch whisky", the ones that are regulated by the Scotch Whisky Association. It holds true for smaller producers. Do they buy juice from different distilleries? sure they do. But the actual product produced are comparable or better than what the big boys offers (popular big name brands).

Also, I was in a way referencing the distillers that have smaller budgets and kept marketing to a minimum, and instead chose to focus on the quality of spirits produced. So bringing up Whistle Pig or Templeton as examples are kind of a moot point. Alot of their stuff are sub par quality, borderlining Jack Daniels. Pretty decent though for mixing with sprite/coke.

Apple and oranges, Alberta Premium, Jim Beam? that's rye talk. The majority of what I refer to or talk about.. point towards malts and grain blends.

Again, to each and their own, I've had Alberta springs 10 for example, quite tasty, but packs a punch like the Aberlour/Ardbeg 10. So back to what you said about value. Welllllll, it's all up in the air and debatable. Don't want to pull the Crown Royal Harvest in here, but it can't really be pitted against say the Balvenie for example; because they are fundamentally different except maybe for the aging in the barrels.
Advertisement
Gallardo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2016, 06:44 PM   #377
private modder

Thanked 2,645 Times in 739 Posts
Looks like Johnnie Green has disappeared again!
Eff-1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2016, 06:51 PM   #378
ESKETIT

Thanked 9,646 Times in 2,302 Posts
Quote:
unfortunately they are worth what you paid for them. It is not like wine that gets better with age. Cognac is just distilled wine.
if thats the case Id buy one of the Hennessys off ya for what face value lol
Vansterdam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2016, 07:08 PM   #379
private modder

Thanked 2,645 Times in 739 Posts
If I remember correctly, Z3guy works for Beam Suntory. And while it's great having someone in the industry posting in this thread, it's no coincidence Z3guy almost always only recommends we try Beam Suntory brands in his posts.
Eff-1 is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 01-27-2016, 07:30 PM   #380
Wunder? Wonder?? Wander???

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eff-1 View Post
If I remember correctly, Z3guy works for Beam Suntory. And while it's great having someone in the industry posting in this thread, it's no coincidence Z3guy almost always only recommends we try Beam Suntory brands in his posts.
I thought he's a lawyer and also work for BCLiquor

Quote:
Looks like Johnnie Green has disappeared again!
Heard there will be no new shipment of it for 2016. A clerk at the BCLiquor store was nice enough to call up locations in Victoria and have them send over 6 bottles. I picked up 3 and the rest was quickly snapped up by others.

Over the past 2 weeks, there was alot of changing hands of the Green Label inventory. Langford in Victoria sent their unsold stock to various locations in the Lower Mainland.

Last edited by Gallardo; 01-27-2016 at 07:46 PM.
Gallardo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2016, 10:29 PM   #381
Ebisu Boss

Thanked 1,889 Times in 705 Posts
Was at the liquor store tonight. Picked up both the Alberta Premium and the Jim Beam Black.

Here's my verdict:
The Alberta lacked character and just wasn't very interesting overall.
Jim Beam was full of body that fills your mouth. I enjoyed it but I am not craving seconds compared to say Crown Harvest or 5ths in the case of the Sherry Cask Balvenie.
Obsideon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2016, 10:09 AM   #382
My homepage has been set to RS

Jim Beam Black is still a great deal for a $25 bottle of bourbon. It is my go-to for an everyday bourbon the sub $30 range.
Liquid_o2 is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 01-28-2016, 01:09 PM   #383
I subscribe to Revscene

I've been going through my bottle of Basil Hayden's bourbon surprisingly fast.

BASIL HAYDEN'S - 8 YEAR OLD KENTUCKY BOURBON | BC Liquor Stores

a bit pricier what i would call an everyday sipper but damn this stuff is good!
dat_steve is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 01-28-2016, 05:32 PM   #384

Thanked 1,874 Times in 604 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eff-1 View Post
You are correct, I do work for beam suntory. Also you are right I always do recommend beam suntory brands.......you know why? I happen to 99% of the time drink beam brands, hence I feel comfortable recommending them.......I definitely have a sinister plan for everyone to drink beam brands! Haha
86 944 Turbo with 340rwhp Lindsay Racing kit
15 991 PTS GT3
18 VW Golf R
Z3guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2016, 05:41 PM   #385

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gallardo View Post
I think we are both completely on a different tangent here, I still stand by my previous comment. However, do let me to explain as I didn't go into great detail previously.

My statement for smaller producers/distillers stand behind "scotch whisky", the ones that are regulated by the Scotch Whisky Association. It holds true for smaller producers. Do they buy juice from different distilleries? sure they do. But the actual product produced are comparable or better than what the big boys offers (popular big name brands).

Also, I was in a way referencing the distillers that have smaller budgets and kept marketing to a minimum, and instead chose to focus on the quality of spirits produced. So bringing up Whistle Pig or Templeton as examples are kind of a moot point. Alot of their stuff are sub par quality, borderlining Jack Daniels. Pretty decent though for mixing with sprite/coke.

Apple and oranges, Alberta Premium, Jim Beam? that's rye talk. The majority of what I refer to or talk about.. point towards malts and grain blends.

Again, to each and their own, I've had Alberta springs 10 for example, quite tasty, but packs a punch like the Aberlour/Ardbeg 10. So back to what you said about value. Welllllll, it's all up in the air and debatable. Don't want to pull the Crown Royal Harvest in here, but it can't really be pitted against say the Balvenie for example; because they are fundamentally different except maybe for the aging in the barrels.
You know there aren't many scotch distilleries that are small anymore. Almost all of them are owned by multinational corporation. I am interested in your opinion who you believe produce more enjoyable scotch than "mass produced" products like macallan, highland park, or laphraiog?
15 991 PTS GT3
18 VW Golf R
Old 01-28-2016, 05:45 PM   #386

Quote:
Originally Posted by Liquid_o2 View Post
Jim Beam Black is still a great deal for a $25 bottle of bourbon. It is my go-to for an everyday bourbon the sub $30 range.
Obviously I am biased, but in my professional opinion, jb blk is one of the best value bourbons out there. It is a 9 yr old whiskey. Don't take my word for it, the San Francisco spirits awards gave jb blk a double gold medal, one the highest ratings regardless of price pts
15 991 PTS GT3
18 VW Golf R
Old 01-28-2016, 05:56 PM   #387

Quote:
Originally Posted by Obsideon View Post
Was at the liquor store tonight. Picked up both the Alberta Premium and the Jim Beam Black.

Here's my verdict:
The Alberta lacked character and just wasn't very interesting overall.
Jim Beam was full of body that fills your mouth. I enjoyed it but I am not craving seconds compared to say Crown Harvest or 5ths in the case of the Sherry Cask Balvenie.
I can appreciate everyone has a different pallet, fair enough. but there is a reason David wolowidnyk, arguably the top mixologist in Vancouver uses Alberta premium as his main Canadian whiskey at West restaurant. Also, Jim Murray ranked Alberta premium Canadian whiskey of the year from 2010-2013. So you can like crown harvest but not Alberta premium when the top whiskey writer in Canada enjoys both?
15 991 PTS GT3
18 VW Golf R
Old 01-28-2016, 09:49 PM   #388
Ebisu Boss

I'll start by claiming that I am definitely a super rookie whiskey taster so my virgin palette doesn't hold much weight, so to speak lol. So basically I just give my opinion on what goes through my mind when I'm drinking it. I just started getting into the whiskey world maybe 3-4 years ago, was mostly a red wine drinker before.
I do sip a dram or 5 quite often though, almost everyday, if not twice a day. Must slow down for my wallet and livers sake haha.

I find the Crown Harvest and Alberta Premium have completely different profiles. To an experienced whiskey guru I guess both are good in their own way?

My initial reaction with the AB Premium is that it has a slightly unpleasant burn in the beginning, no body in the mouth and zero lingering after the swallow. I prefer the JB Black which had quite a solid body on the roll.
I wrote a review on the CRNH earlier in the thread.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Obsideon View Post
Delightfully complex mouthful and smooth on the first sip. Very slight hint of spice but I caught a tinge of what I feel is like some green apple sweetness to it as I roll it around. Not as much linger as my other preferred whiskeys after the swallow.
However you won't see me lining up for it on next release lol, but I'll grab it if I see it on the shelf next time I'm wandering the liquor store ... it ain't THAT good.
Old 01-28-2016, 09:57 PM   #389
Ebisu Boss

Also because personally I like the slightly sweeter whiskeys compared to strong peaty ones. I don't think I'll ever get into Highland Park and Macallan due to their peaty nature.

Talisker is also highly rated but, omg I gave my bottle away lol. Way too smokey, almost felt like someone blew a cigar into my glass.

Another few whiskeys I tried at my friends house; did not like the Kavalan Single Malt, but the Concertmaster was delicious!
Old 01-29-2016, 06:40 AM   #390

Obsideon, learning about the different style of whiskies is a great thing because they are all so different once you really get into. I can respect your pallet about not liking AB Premium, it is one of the bolder spicier 100% Rye Whiskies. Personally, that's why I like it more so than Crown Harvest or Canadian Club 100% Rye.

If you like sweeter Single Malts, try any sherry cask Macallan products Vs amercian oak Macallan products. Also try Bowmore 12 year, one of the least peaty Islay whiskies.

Have fun exploring man!
15 991 PTS GT3
18 VW Golf R
This post thanked by:
Old 01-29-2016, 08:51 AM   #391
OMGWTFBBQ is a common word I say everyday

Thanked 2,775 Times in 1,171 Posts
Obsideon, if you love sweeter single malts, try this: Glenmorangie Sauternes Cask Finish 12yo

Absolutely delicious if you love sweeter, fruity malts. I bought a bottle on a trip for $50 and it was gone in a flash. So delicious and accessible! I also love Sauternes wines but the chance of me having another whole bottle of Chateau d'Yquem 2005 to myself is pretty rare... thanks Emirates First Class!
fml
roastpuff is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 01-29-2016, 12:02 PM   #392

Quote:
Obviously I am biased, but in my professional opinion, jb blk is one of the best value bourbons out there. It is a 9 yr old whiskey. Don't take my word for it, the San Francisco spirits awards gave jb blk a double gold medal, one the highest ratings regardless of price pts
Six year old actually. Used to be 9 years old, but I believe they switched it to six years a year or so ago.
Liquid_o2 is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 01-29-2016, 05:19 PM   #393
Diagonally parked in a parallel universe

Thanked 1,118 Times in 161 Posts
any suggestions on cognac 30-80 dollar range. that arnt Hennessy, Remy.

i drink alot of the big named cognacs but looking to try new brands!
Jayboogz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2016, 06:07 PM   #394
RS Veteran

Thanked 10,496 Times in 4,303 Posts
Courvoisier

Her car even smelled nice. Like a mixture of luxury perfume and a hint of….. vag ? Fish sauce ? Something a bit dank
bcrdukes is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2016, 06:16 PM   #395
Waxin’ Punks

Thanked 6,038 Times in 2,075 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by MG1 View Post
punkwax, I don't care what your friends say about you, you are gold!
Quote:
Originally Posted by mikemhg View Post
What do your farts sound like then?
punkwax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2016, 06:36 PM   #396
Diagonally parked in a parallel universe

Thanked 1,118 Times in 161 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by bcrdukes View Post
Courvoisier
courvoisier is aite lol
did a quick search on bcliquour damn our cognac selection sucks lol
Jayboogz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2016, 07:06 PM   #397
ESKETIT

Thanked 9,646 Times in 2,302 Posts
lol

Vansterdam is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 01-29-2016, 11:54 PM   #398
Ebisu Boss

Quote:
Originally Posted by roastpuff View Post
Obsideon, if you love sweeter single malts, try this: Glenmorangie Sauternes Cask Finish 12yo

Absolutely delicious if you love sweeter, fruity malts. I bought a bottle on a trip for $50 and it was gone in a flash. So delicious and accessible! I also love Sauternes wines but the chance of me having another whole bottle of Chateau d'Yquem 2005 to myself is pretty rare... thanks Emirates First Class!
Yes! I actually have a little bit of that one left, both Glenmorangie Nectar D'or and the Quinta Ruban are very good! I like the Quinta a bit more, it's "softer". However right now I am all 'bout dat Balv
Old 01-31-2016, 09:31 PM   #399
I Will not Admit my Addiction to RS

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jayboogz View Post
courvoisier is aite lol
did a quick search on bcliquour damn our cognac selection sucks lol
Martell is incredible. I got my hands on a VS from the states and damn it's so good.
Old 01-31-2016, 10:06 PM   #400
I Will not Admit my Addiction to RS

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gallardo View Post
What actually matters is whether or not you find it delicious or not, is it an enjoyable sipper? If it ticks all the boxes for you, it won't matter what the whiskey is distilled from.

Let us know how you like it after you try it, it's always good for long time whisky drinkers to toss it up and have some rum, cognac, bourbon, etc. It's fun.
Aaite so I picked me up a bottle and i'm back with a review!

Very impressed with the flavor, not so much with design of the label. It's 45% so it's got a good kick afterwards but really smooth and creamy along with fragrant spices. A friend who likes his single malts (and didn't think it would be good) had some with me and was pleasantly surprised. I prefer Cognac in most cases so this was quite comparable in a Whiskey form. It's definitely bang for the buck and I think anyone will like it if they are okay with it being made form rye or truthfully, as I now know, corn. lol

CENTURY DISTILLERS - 20 YEAR OLD NINETY | BC Liquor Stores