REVscene - Vancouver Automotive Forum

Welcome to the REVscene Automotive Forum forums.

Registration is Free!You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today! The banners on the left side and below do not show for registered users!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   REVscene Automotive Forum > Vancouver LifeStyles (VLS) > Food & Fine Dining

Food & Fine Dining Hungry? Come on down to Wings - Fun, Food and Drinks.
Top Restaurants in town? Got a good recipe to share? Share culinary info or post up photos of your delicious dish. #revsceneVLS

Old 01-23-2016, 04:29 PM   #351
RS Veteran

Thanked 10,438 Times in 4,279 Posts
Be careful posting pictures of your collection. My uncle's house was robbed as he had a very nice collection and display case of some rare and valuable scotch/whiskey and cognac. People had scouted his house and when he went out for a walk, the whole display case and collection was missing. Nothing else. It was a very professional job. They left a hand written note on the kitchen table, "Thank you" with a smiley face.

Total value - $30,000.
Advertisement

Her car even smelled nice. Like a mixture of luxury perfume and a hint of….. vag ? Fish sauce ? Something a bit dank
bcrdukes is online now   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 01-23-2016, 05:13 PM   #352
Ebisu Boss

Thanked 1,889 Times in 705 Posts
Ouch, that's rough, damn robbers can all rot in hell.
Case in point, DRINK AS MUCH OF IT AS YOU CAN! Can't steal it when it's in my belly!
Obsideon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2016, 05:40 PM   #353
Wunder? Wonder?? Wander???

Quote:
Originally Posted by kr4l View Post
I actually bought them all to flip. Family friends parents (like 90 years old) were clearing out there house and they've been sitting forever. I'm pretty sure most if not all are from Hong Kong since they have the distributor stickers on them. I'll try to post some pictures later
Post pics and maybe RS can have first dibs
Gallardo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2016, 08:31 PM   #354
I subscribe to the Fight Club ONLY

Thanked 2,312 Times in 961 Posts
^ they are worth a lot of money.

my friend's dad had a huge collection too and was offered a lot of money for it.

For those who have not tried a bottle of old vodka, CR, XO etc, you can definitely taste the difference. Again, using my non-professional term, we taste tested
1) Grey Goose from 10 yrs ago; plain jane, and orange grey goose both from 10+ yrs apart
2) CR that was left opened for 15+ yrs

You can definitely taste there's a huge difference to it. it hasn't "aged" as if it's from the barrel but it's night and day difference.
6793026 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2016, 07:57 AM   #355
My homepage has been set to RS

Thanked 1,874 Times in 604 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by jinxcrusader View Post
Aged in the barrel is understandable to aged in a bottle? I never really understood that but I have heard of people supporting that claim too.
haha! there is no aging in the bottle! just cause it is sitting in a bottle for 10yrs does not mean anything. 80% of the flavor is derived from the interaction with the wood. Higher temps means more interaction. 2yr old rum aged in a tropical climate is like 12yrs aged in the cold Scottish highlands. All whiskies essentially start out as a vodka (neutral grain spirit).
86 944 Turbo with 340rwhp Lindsay Racing kit
15 991 PTS GT3
18 VW Golf R
Z3guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2016, 08:04 AM   #356

Quote:
Originally Posted by corollagtSr5 View Post
What do you guys think of alberta premium rye and dark horse? Anyone here like it?

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=cQSgkwlEeGk

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=J0EgzP9dSh8

Do you think this is a review or advertising, brain washing? Both videos?
talk to any true whisky person or any top end bartender, they will all appreciate AB Premium or Dark Horse. AB Premium is the original 100% Rye. Consumers are trained that more expensive whiskey is better, that is not the case at all. Price pts are determined based on what competitive set you want to compete with not what it costs to make.

Everyone loves Whistle Pig and they buy most of their juice from a Cdn Distillery......

Dark Horse and Canadian Club 100% Rye are two of my fav go to whiskies regardless of price pt. Crown Harvest is good, but it is only 90% Rye and they don't even distill Rye, they buy it. Diageo's distillery in MB uses corn for most of their whiskies.
15 991 PTS GT3
18 VW Golf R
This post thanked by:
Old 01-25-2016, 08:16 AM   #357

Quote:
Originally Posted by Obsideon View Post
Do you have any suggestions? Would love to find some great whiskeys under $75.
Pretty much every whiskey that I've truly enjoyed hover around or well above the $100 mark.
Dude there are literally a ton of whiskies that are under $75, even single malts that are awesome, off the top of my head;

Maker's Mark
Knob Creek 9yr
Auchentoshan triple wood
Any Bowmore products
Highland Park 10yr
Jim Beam Black
Alberta Springs

If you enjoy whiskey, try Hornitos Black Barrel. It is a 100% agave tequila that is aged in whiskey barrels......taste like a super smooth whiskey......
15 991 PTS GT3
18 VW Golf R
This post thanked by:
Old 01-25-2016, 08:19 AM   #358

Quote:
Originally Posted by kr4l View Post
Anyone know much about the value of older cognacs? I picked up about 44 bottles of 1970s era Courvoisier, bisquit dubouche, Martel, Hennessy, Remy Martin etc etc. and some random others. All sealed and most in original boxes
unfortunately they are worth what you paid for them. It is not like wine that gets better with age. Cognac is just distilled wine.
15 991 PTS GT3
18 VW Golf R
Old 01-25-2016, 09:12 AM   #359
Say NO to blade grinders!

Thanked 1,256 Times in 580 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Z3guy View Post
unfortunately they are worth what you paid for them. It is not like wine that gets better with age. Cognac is just distilled wine.
But you don't know how much he bought em for though...lol
Expresso is offline   Reply With Quote
This post FAILED by:
Old 01-25-2016, 03:33 PM   #360
14 dolla balla aint got nothing on me!

Quote:
Worst news ever!
kr4l is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2016, 04:35 PM   #361
Say NO to blade grinders!

Thanked 1,256 Times in 580 Posts
WTF NABS!?!

Last edited by Expresso; 01-25-2016 at 04:43 PM.
Expresso is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 01-25-2016, 04:37 PM   #362
RS Veteran

Thanked 10,438 Times in 4,279 Posts
What gives, nabs?

Her car even smelled nice. Like a mixture of luxury perfume and a hint of….. vag ? Fish sauce ? Something a bit dank
bcrdukes is online now   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 01-25-2016, 06:41 PM   #363
i like gifs

Thanked 7,785 Times in 2,695 Posts
What did I miss?
Ch28 is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 01-26-2016, 12:51 PM   #364
Ebisu Boss

Thanked 1,889 Times in 705 Posts
Quote:
Dude there are literally a ton of whiskies that are under $75, even single malts that are awesome, off the top of my head;

Maker's Mark
Knob Creek 9yr
Auchentoshan triple wood
Any Bowmore products
Highland Park 10yr
Jim Beam Black
Alberta Springs

If you enjoy whiskey, try Hornitos Black Barrel. It is a 100% agave tequila that is aged in whiskey barrels......taste like a super smooth whiskey......
I totally understand everyone has their own preferences.
That being said I've had some of what you suggested and here's my personal amateur opinion:

Maker's Mark - yuck
Knob Creek 9yr - Delicious in an Old Fashioned.
Auchentoshan triple wood - Solid choice, I had it a long time ago so don't remember full details. I think it was not bad however it's $81 at BCL, for a few bucks more, I'd definitely go for Balvenie. I will pick up another bottle in the near future to refresh my memory haha
Any Bowmore products - The only Bowmore under $75 is the 12 year for $57. I still prefer the $33 Crown Harvest more. Regardless of price point, but the savings doesn't hurt.
Highland Park 10yr - Personally not a fan, I have a bottle of 12 year sitting at home for years now. Can't finish it.

Jim Beam Black
Alberta Springs
I'll admit I have never had either of these. Just never thought that a $25 bottle would peak my interest. I will grab a bottle of each next time I swing by the liquor store.

I also remember that the Ballantine's 21 year is also one of personal faves, top 5 for sure.
Anyone know where I can procure a bottle of Alberta Premium 25 Year?
Obsideon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2016, 01:58 PM   #365
RS controls my life!

Thanked 1,562 Times in 204 Posts

i was gifted the bottle of the Clan Denny.
By far the favorite of the lot.
IfUCare is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 01-26-2016, 02:47 PM   #366
I contribute to threads in the offtopic forum

Thanked 2,595 Times in 922 Posts
i've realized that i'm a true surrey jack because i like regular crown royal more than the northern harvest.
Gucci Mane is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 01-26-2016, 04:28 PM   #367
i like gifs

Thanked 7,785 Times in 2,695 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by IfUCare View Post

i was gifted the bottle of the Clan Denny.
By far the favorite of the lot.
How are you enjoying the Aberfeldy 12? I've been thinking of picking up a bottle because it's $53 @ BC Liquor.
Ch28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2016, 05:39 PM   #368
I Will not Admit my Addiction to RS

CENTURY DISTILLERS - 20 YEAR OLD NINETY | BC Liquor Stores

Anyone try this? Pretty damn good price for a 20 year old. I might have to pick one up.
Old 01-26-2016, 09:08 PM   #369

Quote:
Originally Posted by ToneCapone View Post

CENTURY DISTILLERS - 20 YEAR OLD NINETY | BC Liquor Stores

Anyone try this? Pretty damn good price for a 20 year old. I might have to pick one up.
Never heard of it, but I would proceed with caution. At first I was like, 20 yo for 50 dollars is too good to be true.

1) the 20 year old age statement is rather irrelevant in this case to be honest.

-I think we are used to seeing 12, 15, 18, 21 yo statements for scotch whisky, and we automatically associate older statements to be better.
-So, slapping on the 20 yo statement on this bottle exerts the wow factor to consumers I think.

2) I am sure you have read up on this product. Turns out it's distilled from 100% corn. Kind of confusing because I always associate corn with bourbon instead.

At the end of the day, it comes down to what ever floats your boat; as something with 20 yo statement should have finesse characteristics (think smoothness to the palate)
This post thanked by:
Old 01-26-2016, 10:57 PM   #370
I Will not Admit my Addiction to RS

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gallardo View Post
Never heard of it, but I would proceed with caution. At first I was like, 20 yo for 50 dollars is too good to be true.

1) the 20 year old age statement is rather irrelevant in this case to be honest.

-I think we are used to seeing 12, 15, 18, 21 yo statements for scotch whisky, and we automatically associate older statements to be better.
-So, slapping on the 20 yo statement on this bottle exerts the wow factor to consumers I think.

2) I am sure you have read up on this product. Turns out it's distilled from 100% corn. Kind of confusing because I always associate corn with bourbon instead.

At the end of the day, it comes down to what ever floats your boat; as something with 20 yo statement should have finesse characteristics (think smoothness to the palate)
Thanks for the reply. The 20yo definitely wow'd me first. For under 50 I just naturally assume it's good because it's aged for so long (and reviews of course). The price might be because its local? Good points and I still think for the price + reviews it's worth a try.

I'm just steppin in to the world of whisky so a bit confused here... The bottle says it's rye whisky. But after some looking around, indeed it says the main ingredient is corn. What gives? Is this typical for Canadian whiskies?
Old 01-27-2016, 09:09 AM   #371
RS controls my life!

Thanked 1,562 Times in 204 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ch28 View Post
How are you enjoying the Aberfeldy 12? I've been thinking of picking up a bottle because it's $53 @ BC Liquor.

I like it, starts with a little burn then ends quite nicely.
Don't mind it at the price point.
IfUCare is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2016, 01:54 PM   #372

Quote:
Originally Posted by ToneCapone View Post
Thanks for the reply. The 20yo definitely wow'd me first. For under 50 I just naturally assume it's good because it's aged for so long (and reviews of course). The price might be because its local? Good points and I still think for the price + reviews it's worth a try.

I'm just steppin in to the world of whisky so a bit confused here... The bottle says it's rye whisky. But after some looking around, indeed it says the main ingredient is corn. What gives? Is this typical for Canadian whiskies?
The price seems average, this is because in my quick look-up of the product, the same bottle went for $35 at LCBO (over in Ontario) last year.

The general rule of thumb is, the smaller the company/distillery, the better the quality will be. And we are comparing apples to oranges here, because this 20 year old Ninety is from corn, whereas scotch is mainly from grains and malted barley.

What actually matters is whether or not you find it delicious or not, is it an enjoyable sipper? If it ticks all the boxes for you, it won't matter what the whiskey is distilled from.

Let us know how you like it after you try it, it's always good for long time whisky drinkers to toss it up and have some rum, cognac, bourbon, etc. It's fun.
This post thanked by:
Old 01-27-2016, 03:20 PM   #373
無敵

Just picked up the Hibiki Japanese harmony today. Joining the mini collection.

muteki is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 01-27-2016, 03:25 PM   #374

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gallardo View Post
The price seems average, this is because in my quick look-up of the product, the same bottle went for $35 at LCBO (over in Ontario) last year.

The general rule of thumb is, the smaller the company/distillery, the better the quality will be. And we are comparing apples to oranges here, because this 20 year old Ninety is from corn, whereas scotch is mainly from grains and malted barley.

What actually matters is whether or not you find it delicious or not, is it an enjoyable sipper? If it ticks all the boxes for you, it won't matter what the whiskey is distilled from.

Let us know how you like it after you try it, it's always good for long time whisky drinkers to toss it up and have some rum, cognac, bourbon, etc. It's fun.
Dude, your comment about smaller is generally better is completely false. worldwide recognize brands such as whistle pig, templeton, etc buy most of their juice and than just finish blending it. Smaller suppliers do a great job marketing their great story, use great packaging, bottle, and cork stopper and then charge you $60+. Try a bottle of Jim beam blk 9yr or Alberta premium dark horse and let me know if it is good value.
15 991 PTS GT3
18 VW Golf R
Old 01-27-2016, 03:27 PM   #375

Quote:
Originally Posted by IfUCare View Post
I like it, starts with a little burn then ends quite nicely.
Don't mind it at the price point.
I hope you mean it starts with some heat, because any good whiskey should never burn....
15 991 PTS GT3
18 VW Golf R