REVscene Automotive Forum

REVscene Automotive Forum (https://www.revscene.net/forums/)
-   Vancouver Off-Topic / Current Events (https://www.revscene.net/forums/vancouver-off-topic-current-events_50/)
-   -   Now accepting applications: 1-way tickets to Mars (https://www.revscene.net/forums/683374-now-accepting-applications-1-way-tickets-mars.html)

SpartanAir 04-25-2013 10:16 PM

Now accepting applications: 1-way tickets to Mars

http://blog.phoenixhaven.net/wp-cont...1/3cd8a33a.png

Answer:

A company is now planning a permanent settlement on Mars in 2023. If you're fed up with Earth, and never want to come back, maybe it's right for you?

1-way Mars trip starts accepting astronaut applications - Technology & Science - CBC News

Quote:

Want to spend the rest of your life on Mars? You can apply to do so now.

Mars One, a non-profit organization that plans to send humans on a one-way trip to establish a permanent settlement on Mars in 2023, began accepting online applications Monday.

"We are very excited about launching the selection program," said Bas Landorp, co-founder and CEO of the Netherlands-based group, in a statement announcing the start of the selection process. "This is an international mission and it is very important for the project that anyone anywhere can ask themselves: Do I want this? Am I ready for this? If the answer is yes then we want to hear from you."

Mars isn't for you? Read about other space tourism options
The program is looking for applicants 18 and older "who are both mature and interesting," but there is no requirement for any particular academic or professional background, as astronauts will spend seven years learning all the skills they need, said a Mars One news release.

Norbert Kraft, Mars One's chief medical officer, said because the mission involves a permanent settlement, the organization is more concerned with "how well each astronaut lives and works with others and their ability to deal with a lifetime of challenges" than whether they have traditional astronaut qualities such as bravery or experience piloting a supersonic jet.

The first round of applications will be open until Aug. 31, 2013. In order to apply, prospective astronauts must:

Pay a registration fee that depends on the per capita GDP of their home country. For Canada, the fee is $33 US.
Provide some general information about themselves.
Write a letter about why they are applying.
Submit a one-minute video answering some standard questions and explaining why he or she should be among the first humans to set foot on Mars.
As of Tuesday at noon, dozens of videos were already viewable online, including at least one from Canada.

Mars One "experts" will decide which applications will pass on to Round 2, when candidates will have to pass a health evaluation and an interview.

Rounds 3 and 4 will be reality-type shows broadcast on TV and the internet.

In Round 3, 20 to 40 candidates from each country will participate in "challenges" to demonstrate their suitability for the mission and the audience will choose a winner. Mars One will decide who else proceeds to the next round.

In Round 4, candidates will be split into international groups and will begin their training in a mock Mars outpost. Depending on their performance, some will be removed from the program individually or in groups until six groups of four remain.

Mars One estimates that it will cost $6 billion US to put the first four people on Mars. It plans to raise the money through broadcasting rights and sponsorships.

corollagtSr5 04-25-2013 10:23 PM

That's crazy!

Hondaracer 04-25-2013 10:28 PM

http://www.fact.co.uk/media/2382520/...0Image%202.jpg

BurnoutBinLaden 04-25-2013 10:47 PM

It used to be that the military controlled space exploration. Now private enterprise is doing what governments could not-settle Mars.

Integgyy 04-25-2013 10:51 PM

i was expecting this article to be from the onion haha wow.

SoNaRWaVe 04-25-2013 10:52 PM

:whistle:

http://www.revscene.net/forums/67894...y-pioneer.html

Graeme S 04-25-2013 10:55 PM

Can we nominate people?

Like, perhaps, Timpo and Charles In Charge?

BurnoutBinLaden 04-25-2013 11:02 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Graeme S (Post 8222379)
Can we nominate people?

Like, perhaps, Timpo and Charles In Charge?

And joe45.

Anjew 04-25-2013 11:14 PM

this is kinda stupid because in 10 years the applicants are all 10 years older.... this might just be a marketing move. i would much rather a contest or application phase closer to the launch date.

FerrariEnzo 04-25-2013 11:19 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SpartanAir (Post 8222336)
http://blog.phoenixhaven.net/wp-cont...1/3cd8a33a.png

Answer:

A company is now planning a permanent settlement on Mars in 2023. If you're fed up with Earth, and never want to come back, maybe it's right for you?

1-way Mars trip starts accepting astronaut applications - Technology & Science - CBC News

What's so funny is that your username fits your posting!

Graeme S 04-25-2013 11:21 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Anjew (Post 8222408)
this is kinda stupid because in 10 years the applicants are all 10 years older.... this might just be a marketing move. i would much rather a contest or application phase closer to the launch date.

Except that training is supposed to take 7 years. So...three years for the selection process, including the mock Mars outpost.

BaoTurbo 04-25-2013 11:26 PM

Lol a one way ticket. Inb4 they send the first batch and no one survives :lawl:

rsx 04-25-2013 11:57 PM

I say send in the convicts. Australia turned out fine.

iwantaskyline 04-26-2013 12:40 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by rsx (Post 8222438)
I say send in the convicts. Australia turned out fine.

So did the Terran.

Anjew 04-26-2013 02:12 AM

ok next problem, they have about 10 years to figure out a way around bone loss caused by weightlessness. 8months in space is doable for sure but is the gravity on mars good enough to reverse the bone loss effects for being on mars long term?

i like the way space exploration is going commercial

StylinRed 04-26-2013 03:32 AM

would make more sense to colonize the Moon and use the space station as a port

would be perfect testing ground too

Anjew 04-26-2013 04:38 AM

yea i wonder why NASA is focusing on mars and not the moon. maybe they only had a budget for either or.

stronger gravitational effects compared to the moons surface makes return trips harder for scientific samples and possibly resources.

The distance from earth causes a communications delay due to distance(7minutes?) and blackout due to line of sight issues when mars is on the other side of the sun.

VRYALT3R3D 04-26-2013 06:47 AM

Yeah. Someone else can be the guinea pig for that

SpartanAir 04-26-2013 07:28 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by FerrariEnzo (Post 8222410)
What's so funny is that your username fits your posting!

Who, me? I don't get it...

Lomac 04-26-2013 09:41 AM

I don't think the whole "reality tv" idea they have is the greatest choice when it comes to who should go. If you're going to go onto a new planet with no return flights and likely minimal, if any, supply runs, you'll need people who know what the fuck they're doing. I'm not going to trust my life with someone who won by being the audience's favourite and then only get a few years of textbook training. I want doctors, mechanics, electricians, botanists, and pretty much anyone else who have years, if not decades, of practical experience. You're expected to survive on your own on a planet that's otherwise completely uninhabitable. If you want to succeed, you need people who can beat those odds.

corollagtSr5 04-26-2013 12:20 PM

The new reality tv series "SURVIVOR on MARS".

The7even 04-26-2013 12:42 PM

honestly, I'd rather die where my ancestors have lived before me.. with everyone else.
Mars would be too lonely..

SpartanAir 04-26-2013 01:25 PM

I don't know how people there wouldn't go stir crazy. It says only 4 people will land first, then who knows how long till the next group. Until all 6 groups land, for a total of 24 people. 24 people being the only people you would ever see again for the rest of your life.

What about sex and relationships? Silly to think they wouldn't all be sexually frustrated knowing they will never have a new relationship. What happens when relationships go south, but you know you will have to interact with them again?

What about the people who regret their decision and go crazy, and commit murder or suicide to mentally escape? And the jobs fall on other's shoulders?

People stay on the ISS for months at a time, but know they will be back. The trip alone is several months, then they gotta settle in for the long haul.

So many possibilities. It will be so interesting to see how they pick these people.

Ulic Qel-Droma 04-26-2013 04:32 PM

all they gotta do is send drugs and hookers to mars. the pioneers will never wanna fucking come back to this planet hahahahaha.

Nlkko 04-26-2013 10:36 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Graeme S (Post 8222379)
Charles In Charge?

Would not go because he thinks it's a conspiracy.