REVscene Automotive Forum

REVscene Automotive Forum (https://www.revscene.net/forums/)
-   Police Forum (https://www.revscene.net/forums/police-forum_143/)
-   -   Are sequential tail lights legal? (https://www.revscene.net/forums/683517-sequential-tail-lights-legal.html)

finbar 04-30-2013 09:47 AM

Are sequential tail lights legal?

Thinking about installing these sequential tail lights.
Are they street legal in Vancouver BC ?

Akinari 04-30-2013 10:40 AM

2013 Mustangs come stock with sequential turn signals. I don't see why these wouldn't be.

nabs 04-30-2013 10:44 AM

^^^
Was going to say the same thing as above, I see them on other cars as well installed aftermarket.

finbar 04-30-2013 11:40 AM

In they go, thanks guys.

Berzerker 04-30-2013 11:59 AM

Does it say DOT approved? If yes, legal. If no, not legal. Simple.

Berz out.
Posted via RS Mobile

Rich Sandor 04-30-2013 11:59 AM

Yes, the newer model Mustangs have them, but they are not exactly the same as the aftermarket units. The OEM mustang sequential lights are designed with several factors of visibility considered, and compatibility with Vehicle law requirements in Canada and the USA.

The aftermarket units might not meet these requirements. Seeing them installed on other cars does NOT mean it's legal, it just means someone is taking a risk.

If the lights do not meet any of the relevant requirements, they are not legal, and therefore you risk getting a Vehicle Inspection ordered. Even if the shop you use deems them legal, you may still get VI after VI from officers who don't believe they are legal.

Quote:

BC Motor Vehicle Ac

General lighting requirements

(1) A vehicle on a highway must only be equipped with and use lamps, reflectors or other illuminating devices authorized by this Division or authorized in writing by the director.

(2) A vehicle on a highway must be equipped with lamps equivalent to those provided by the original manufacturer in accordance with the requirements that applied under the Motor Vehicle Safety Act (Canada), or a predecessor to that Act, at the time of vehicle manufacture.

(3) All lamps, lamp bulbs and reflectors required or permitted by this Division must comply with
(a) the approved standards established by the Motor Vehicle Safety Act (Canada) and the applicable SAE standards,
(b) the conditions of use described in this Division, and
(c) the requirements of Table 1 of the Schedule to this Division.
(table 1 at bottom of this page: CanLII - Motor Vehicle Act Regulations, BC Reg 26/58, Division 1-4 )

(4) The function of 2 or more lamps or reflectors may be combined if each function meets the following requirements:
(a) no turn signal lamp may be combined optically with a stop lamp unless the stop lamp is extinguished when the turn signal is flashing;

(b) a clearance lamp must not be combined optically with a tail-lamp or identification lamp.

(5) The director may exempt vehicles or classes of vehicles from the requirements of this section.
[en. B.C. Reg. 476/98, s. 2; am. B.C. Reg. 135/2003, s. 1.]

Turn signal devices

4.13 (1) A vehicle may be equipped and mounted with

(a) a lamp type turn signal system, or
(b) a semaphore turn signal device,
functionally equivalent to original equipment supplied by the vehicle manufacturer or of a type or make approved by the director.

(2) A lamp type turn signal system must
(a) have 2 lamps, mounted on the front of the vehicle, that are capable of displaying flashes of white or amber light which are visible to the front,
(b) have 2 lamps, mounted on the rear of the vehicle, that are capable of displaying flashes of red or amber light which are visible to the rear,
(c) be visible on each side of the vehicle at a distance of 100 m in normal sunlight at an angle of 45° from the longitudinal axis of the vehicle, and
(d) include a tell-tale lamp which gives a clear indication that the system is activated.

(3) During the time specified in section 4.01, a semaphore turn signal device must be capable of illumination by light or reflection visible from a distance of 100 m.

(4) A public passenger vehicle or a commercial vehicle that weighs more than 4 500 kg may be equipped with supplementary turn signal lamps in addition to the turn signal system required by subsection (2).

(5) A turn signal lamp must be mounted on the vehicle at a height of not less than 38 cm and not more than 1.83 m.

(6) Subsection (5) does not apply to highway construction vehicles, maintenance vehicles, tow cars or vehicles being towed by a tow car.

(7) A vehicle which is being transported in a drive-away/tow-away operation, or is being towed by a tow car, must have turn signals that are synchronized with the turn signals of the towing vehicle when the tow vehicle turn signals are illuminated.

(8) Despite subsection (5), a tow car may be equipped with supplementary turn signal lamps mounted within the maximum allowable vehicle height (4.15 m) and as far forward as the rear of the cab.

(9) The centre of the front signal lamps must be at least 10 cm from the edge of the low beam headlamps
[en. B.C. Reg. 476/98, s. 2; am. B.C. Reg. 135/2003, s.1.]

Timpo 04-30-2013 12:39 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by nabs (Post 8225331)
^^^
Was going to say the same thing as above, I see them on other cars as well installed aftermarket.

that doesn't matter.

because often times,
if it's not stock = illegal

some exotic cars come with 4.5 inch diameter exhaust, but if you put that on Civic, you'll get a ticket for it.

same goes with HIDs, coilovers, wheels, airbags, recaros, etc.

Timpo 04-30-2013 12:41 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Berzerker (Post 8225390)

Berz out.
Posted via RS Mobile

isn't DOT only for the US?

because we have Transport Canada here.

VRYALT3R3D 04-30-2013 12:47 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Berzerker (Post 8225390)

Do you really think that stops people from modding their cars? lol

VRYALT3R3D 04-30-2013 12:50 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Timpo (Post 8225415)
isn't DOT only for the US?

because we have Transport Canada here.

That is right.

Also on 2013 Mustang GTs, there were no foglights in the grille for 2013, but moved to the bumper because of Transport Canada.

The Ford GT(Supercar) had different bumpers in Canada and the USA because of Transport Canada.

Brianrietta 04-30-2013 01:19 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Akinari (Post 8225325)
I don't see why these wouldn't be.

Quote:

Originally Posted by nabs (Post 8225331)
I see them on other cars as well installed aftermarket.

:rukidding: Not at all how that works. Police forum advice at it's finest.

Quote:

Originally Posted by finbar (Post 8225373)
In they go, thanks guys.

It will be very evident to a peace officer that you have aftermarket taillight bulbs, if not because of the sequential turn signal which wasn't factory offered until recently but because they will "will look up to five times brighter than stock lights". I can pretty much guarantee that they aren't legal, but like most of the dubious modifications done by people here, will likely not become an issue unless you drive like a d-bag or have other modifications done to the vehicle. I went three years without a front license plate without being ticketed by not driving like an a-hole around town but I was under no illusions that what I was doing is illegal. Same situation. Go ahead and install it but don't cry to us if you get VI'd for it.

finbar 04-30-2013 02:24 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Brianrietta (Post 8225439)
Go ahead and install it but don't cry to us if you get VI'd for it.

Dammit! You're no fun at all, i'm telling LE you told me to do it. :p

The stock lights are hard to see in full sunlight.
First VI, if, and it's back to stock.

Berzerker 04-30-2013 02:55 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by VRYALT3R3D (Post 8225418)

What is your point? He asked about legality, not if he should mod his car or not. DOT is the standard used here as well.

Berz out.
Posted via RS Mobile

Timpo 04-30-2013 03:42 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Berzerker (Post 8225512)
What is your point? He asked about legality, not if he should mod his car or not. DOT is the standard used here as well.

Berz out.
Posted via RS Mobile

not so.
DOT(Department of Transportation) is US only.

BC Ministry of Transportation
Transportation - Province of British Columbia

Transport Canada
Transport Canada - Transport Canada

Department of Transportation
Department of Transportation

Brianrietta 04-30-2013 04:57 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by finbar (Post 8225493)

:ilied:

In no respect shall Brianrietta (known henceforth as Brian) incur any liability for any damages, including, but limited to, direct, indirect, special, or consequential damages arising out of, resulting from, or any way connected to the use of Revscene and Brian's post comments, whether or not based upon warranty, contract, tort, or otherwise; whether or not injury was sustained by persons or property or otherwise; and whether or not loss was sustained from, or arose out of, the results of, the item, or any services that may be arisen from Brian's posts.

Information provided by Brian is obtained through sources believed to be reliable, but is in no way guaranteed. No guarantee of any kind is implied or possible where projections of future activity is provided. In no event should the content of Brian's posts be construed as a truthful or genuine statement and any express or implied promise, guarantee or implication that you receive from the aforementioned posts can or will be limited in any manner whatsoever.

Those who choose to read Brian's posts do so on their own initiative and even in the highly likely scenario that Brian advises you to do something illegal, you are still responsible for compliance with local laws.

finbar 04-30-2013 07:24 PM

:lawl:

Soundy 05-09-2013 06:37 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Timpo (Post 8225551)
not so.
DOT(Department of Transportation) is US only.

Doesn't mean DOT certification isn't accepted in Canada.

http://www.revscene.net/forums/59431...ut-lights.html

Yodamaster 05-09-2013 08:45 PM

They came stock on 1965 Thunderbirds, if you really want them, risk it.

firebird79_00 05-09-2013 08:48 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Yodamaster (Post 8233704)

And they're on my 2010 Mustang
Posted via RS Mobile

zulutango 05-10-2013 04:30 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Yodamaster (Post 8233704)

I also believe that the 1967 Cougar also had them, if I recall correctly. Ford was marketing the Cougar as kind of a Mustang/TBird cross and combined some of the features.

Soundy 05-10-2013 06:05 AM

Keep in mind guys, all these cars with sequential tail lights, do it with multiple bulbs in multiple sockets... what you're talking about here is essentially one big fancy "bulb". It's not the same thing, and you can't say that just because cars X, Y and Z have it, means that this thing is legal.

Doesn't mean it isn't, either... just saying it's apples and kumquats.

Also, remember that the proper REFLECTORS in your light fixtures are a LEGAL REQUIREMENT. Whether this LED thing is legal on its own, if it's blocking the reflectors, then you may have an issue.

Great68 05-10-2013 09:40 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by finbar (Post 8225493)

The stock lights are hard to see in full sunlight.
First VI, if, and it's back to stock.

Cars of this vintage are usually generally given a bit more lee-way. The MVA was probably a bit more open 50 years ago...

zulutango 05-10-2013 12:57 PM

BTW....for younger RS'ers....a 67 Cougar was a car....not the average age of those chicks that hit on you in the downtown bars.....or maybe it is?

Soundy 05-10-2013 02:49 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by zulutango (Post 8234257)
BTW....for younger RS'ers....a 67 Cougar was a car....not the average age of those chicks that hit on you in the downtown bars.....or maybe it is?

:bowrofl::bowrofl:

lowside67 05-10-2013 03:05 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by VRYALT3R3D (Post 8225418)

Would fail if I could. As Berz said, the question was is it legal, not do people do it... :heckno: