REVscene - Vancouver Automotive Forum

Welcome to the REVscene Automotive Forum forums.

Registration is Free!You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today! The banners on the left side and below do not show for registered users!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   REVscene Automotive Forum > Automotive Chat > Vancouver Off-Topic / Current Events

Vancouver Off-Topic / Current Events The off-topic forum for Vancouver, funnies, non-auto centered discussions, WORK SAFE. While the rules are more relaxed here, there are still rules. Please refer to sticky thread in this forum.

Old 05-09-2013, 10:37 PM   #26
Rs has made me the man i am today!

Thanked 1,587 Times in 631 Posts
While I do think he's stupid for not waiting for the bus to stop before proceeding, you can actually see for a split-second that the light has turned RED in the video.....This, thus, would put the bus driver at fault...
Advertisement
bballguy is offline   Reply With Quote
This post FAILED by:
Old 05-09-2013, 10:42 PM   #27
HELP ME PLS!!!

He's going to learn the hard way that he'll be a fault, since the law in BC is that left turners will be at fault regardless of the signal. He's supposed to wait until it's safe to proceed and the intersection is clear.
Old 05-09-2013, 10:44 PM   #28
I *Fwap* *Fwap* *Fwap* to RS

Thanked 5,279 Times in 603 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by bballguy View Post
While I do think he's stupid for not waiting for the bus to stop before proceeding, you can actually see for a split-second that the light has turned RED in the video.....This, thus, would put the bus driver at fault...
well dunno it could've been a yellow light a frame before and we wouldn't know

guy lucked out
Old 05-09-2013, 10:44 PM   #29
I *heart* Revscene.net very Muchie

Thanked 3,814 Times in 957 Posts
Regardless of who's at fault, although in this case it's most likely the one turning left as many have said above, this is just a lesson learned that one should not simply rely on the traffic light as it is merely a tool to guide people.

This is why I do my best to check around even when the light turns green. I just remember the story my boss told me once when he witnessed a car that started moving as soon as the light turned green and was T-boned by another car running red. He was beside that car and said he was lucky that for some reason he reacted a bit slower that day.

Anyway, people should seriously pay attention to the surroundings, especially if you are a motorcyclist. It never ceases to amaze me how some people just lack such common sense.
flagella is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2013, 10:50 PM   #30
Willing to sell body for a few minutes on RS

Thanked 31,165 Times in 7,156 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by flagella View Post
I just remember the story my boss told me once when he witnessed a car that started moving as soon as the light turned green and was T-boned by another car running red.
This is how my first car was written off. F-250 ran a red and t-boned me drivers side. Luckily he hit me front fender instead of driver door, or I doubt I'd be posting this.
westopher is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2013, 10:57 PM   #31
14 dolla balla aint got nothing on me!

I was hoping this was going to be the ps3 scooter scammer guy who rides recklessly around Vancouver.
Posted via RS Mobile
MTV Cribs is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 05-09-2013, 10:57 PM   #32
My homepage has been set to RS

im sure people who drive on broadaway/cambie corridore, everyday can tell 99 bline drives drive like ass. on most days
tool001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2013, 11:11 PM   #33
I Will not Admit my Addiction to RS

buys go pro

doesnt buy gear lol

its funny, when i got into my motorcycle accident the lady who helped me asked me the same questions. she asked what my name was, what day it was, and how old i was. guessing it's taught in first aid cuz like this girl she knew how to handle it & knew first aid
dn53 is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 05-09-2013, 11:14 PM   #34

Quote:
Originally Posted by dn53 View Post
buys go pro

doesnt buy gear lol

its funny, when i got into my motorcycle accident the lady who helped me asked me the same questions. she asked what my name was, what day it was, and how old i was. guessing it's taught in first aid cuz like this girl she knew how to handle it & knew first aid

Pretty sure that's pretty standard....
Old 05-09-2013, 11:18 PM   #35
Captain Happy Bubble is my Homeboy

What's the difference between a bus driver and a regular driver driving down broadway? .....
....the bus driver knows where he's going.

I try to avoid driving down broadway but when I do, I can't stand the amount of commuters not knowing where they are going. Last second lane changes and turns, driving 20km cuz they're looking for an address and ppl who can't parallel park. I constantly get cut off meters before an intersection just so that car can make a right turn last minute.

Regarding the video footage you can see a mini van still in the intersection about to make a left tun going the other way. Means the light probably just turned red and that the bus went thru a yellow and not a solid red light
anti_rice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2013, 11:21 PM   #36

Quote:
Originally Posted by anti_rice View Post
What's the difference between a bus driver and a regular driver driving down broadway? .....
....the bus driver knows where he's going.

I try to avoid driving down broadway but when I do, I can't stand the amount of commuters not knowing where they are going. Last second lane changes and turns, driving 20km cuz they're looking for an address and ppl who can't parallel park. I constantly get cut off meters before an intersection just so that car can make a right turn last minute.
I dunno bro, a minute is plenty of time to switch lanes and make a turn...
Old 05-09-2013, 11:24 PM   #37
I answer every Emotion with an emoticon

Thanked 2,485 Times in 1,007 Posts
According to ICBC and common sense, its the person that is turning that needs to make sure the road is safe before turning...

Its like crossing the crosswalk.. you were always taught to Look Both ways before crossing.. what difference would it be with making a left turn?

Im not trying to be an ass or anything.. but Im sure you can easily judge such a big vehicle if its slowing down or not..
Old 05-09-2013, 11:45 PM   #38

Quote:
Originally Posted by FerrariEnzo View Post
According to ICBC and common sense, its the person that is turning that needs to make sure the road is safe before turning...

Its like crossing the crosswalk.. you were always taught to Look Both ways before crossing.. what difference would it be with making a left turn?

Im not trying to be an ass or anything.. but Im sure you can easily judge such a big vehicle if its slowing down or not..
If it's like crossing a crosswalk, then you are contradicting yourself because the pedestrian crossing the cross-walk is never at fault if the light says to cross...
Old 05-09-2013, 11:54 PM   #39
Revscene.net has a homepage?!

I wouldn't even do what he did in a Hummer, let alone a scooter
jackmeister is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2013, 12:04 AM   #40
RS.net, where our google ads make absolutely no sense!

At least help wasn't far. An ambulance AND police car pass him just before he turns!
jaguar604 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2013, 12:08 AM   #41
dlo
Los Bastardo owned my ass at least once

Thanked 7,930 Times in 1,432 Posts
Icbc will put him at fault, even if ur in the intersection and its already a red light, you gotta wait till its safe to go
Posted via RS Mobile
dlo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2013, 12:13 AM   #42

My gf was on broadway waiting for the 99 at the time when this happened. When she told me about it... I was imagining this though...:
jjson is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2013, 12:37 AM   #43

no rider awareness
jack3d is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2013, 01:02 AM   #44

Quote:
Originally Posted by dlo View Post
Icbc will put him at fault, even if ur in the intersection and its already a red light, you gotta wait till its safe to go
Posted via RS Mobile
This can't be for real?...So I can run through intersections right after a light turns red, trying to beat it, and if I hit a left-turner, he's at fault?....
This post thanked by:
This post FAILED by:
Old 05-10-2013, 01:12 AM   #45
dlo

Repost
Old 05-10-2013, 01:13 AM   #46
dlo

If you enter an intersection legally and the light suddenly turns red, you still have "right of way" after you check that its safe to go, that's what my driver instructor said when I was making a left turn

You have a knack for taking things outta context eh?
Posted via RS Mobile
Old 05-10-2013, 01:23 AM   #47

Quote:
Posted via RS Mobile
Quote:
If you enter an intersection legally and the light suddenly turns red, you still have "right of way" after you check that its safe to go, that's what my driver instructor said when I was making a left turn

You have a knack for taking things outta context eh?
Posted via RS Mobile
Yes, absolutely, if the bus entered the intersection when the light was still yellow, the scooter guy would be at fault.

But you are stating that ICBC will for sure put the scooter guy at fault, like it's a fact, which means you are saying that the bus got into the intersection when the light was still yellow.

Where is your evidence to prove that the light was yellow when the bus went through the intersection?

I don't take things out of context, you just don't know how to put stuff IN context...
This post thanked by:
Old 05-10-2013, 02:23 AM   #48
My homepage has been set to RS

Thanked 1,382 Times in 416 Posts
Jesus it doesn't matter whether he ran a red or yellow, the scooter will still take blame, if not all the blame in ICBC's eyes. There is no denying that. If the bus ran a yellow, the scooter is probably 75% at fault if not taking all the blame. If the bus ran a red, then the scooter may not take 100% of the blame but will still be a contributing percentage.

Quote:
So I can run through intersections right after a light turns red, trying to beat it, and if I hit a left-turner, he's at fault?....
Yes he would be at fault because regardless of whether he would be left turning late or not, he could have waited the extra second or two and PREVENTED THE COLLISION.
You don't just look at the light and think "well it's a very late yellow, I should turn" and hope you don't get hit.
If the left turner can prevent the collision by waiting an extra second or two, but instead chose to turn, then why the hell wouldn't he take part of the blame if he's already driven / ridden into the intersection to commit.

I have turned on red lights before. In fact I have turned on red lights where the opposite ones turned green on me, because multiple cars decided to drive through a late amber/red. I wasn't going to back up. I was already in the middle of the intersection. If i turned with oncoming traffic and got hit, hell yea I would take part of the blame because if I just waited the extra moment, I could have prevented a collision.

Quote:
Where is your evidence to prove that the light was yellow when the bus went through the intersection?
Now I have no evidence that the light was yellow, however like one youtuber suggests, the walking signal sound comes about 3 seconds after impact. Now I don't recall the exact amount of time it takes for the opposite light to turn green and for the walk sound to come on after a red light, but 3 seconds sounds plenty which may or may not mean that the impact was on the change from yellow to red. Also 2 people who said they were on the bus said it was a yellow.

But of course this is all speculation and not real evidence

inb4 no you're logic is flawed / wrong
k3mps is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 05-10-2013, 02:39 AM   #49

lol, I'm pretty sure you ARE wrong....If the oncoming vehicle enters the intersection while it is red, he will be 100% at fault....The light is RED, BEFORE he enters the intersection...thus, he should have had plenty of time to come to a safe stop.

Yes, I agree that the the left turner needs to be a defensive driver, and ensure that everything is clear before going ahead and making the turn, but that does NOT make him at fault.....

Now, if the light is yellow when the oncoming vehicle first enters the intersection, then yes, the left-turner is absolutely at fault...
This post thanked by:
This post FAILED by:
Old 05-10-2013, 03:18 AM   #50
HELP ME PLS!!!

The police forums here are gold, and the mods out there are really helpful. I got this from the Motor Vehicle Act, which they linked on one of their sites.

"Yielding right of way on left turn
174 When a vehicle is in an intersection and its driver intends to turn left, the driver must yield the right of way to traffic approaching from the opposite direction that is in the intersection or so close as to constitute an immediate hazard, but having yielded and given a signal as required by sections 171 and 172, the driver may turn the vehicle to the left, and traffic approaching the intersection from the opposite direction must yield the right of way to the vehicle making the left turn."

But the thing is, "immediate hazard" could be some nut flying through a red. So does the duty of yielding ever go to the opposing traffic?