REVscene - Vancouver Automotive Forum

Welcome to the REVscene Automotive Forum forums.

Registration is Free!You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today! The banners on the left side and below do not show for registered users!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   REVscene Automotive Forum > Automotive Chat > Vancouver Off-Topic / Current Events

Vancouver Off-Topic / Current Events The off-topic forum for Vancouver, funnies, non-auto centered discussions, WORK SAFE. While the rules are more relaxed here, there are still rules. Please refer to sticky thread in this forum.

Old 05-12-2013, 02:12 PM   #101
My homepage has been set to RS

Quote:
Originally Posted by Manic! View Post
If it's electric you don't even need a class 5.
Legally yes you do. Uninsured electric scooters are completely illegal and not allowed on the road. And last time I checked you need to have an insured motor vehicle to operate it on public roads. And you can't get insurance without a drivers lic.
Advertisement

If this is still in my sig, it's still avail.
falcon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2013, 05:08 PM   #102
Banned By Establishment

Quote:
Originally Posted by falcon View Post
Legally yes you do. Uninsured electric scooters are completely illegal and not allowed on the road. And last time I checked you need to have an insured motor vehicle to operate it on public roads. And you can't get insurance without a drivers lic.
wrongo. If its 500 watts or under and has pedals to assist the motor (even if the pedals are not really needed) And is limited to 32km/hr. You do not need a license or insurance. It follows the same rules as bicycles, which are allowed on the road, but not highways.
predom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2013, 08:53 PM   #103
RS.net, where our google ads make absolutely no sense!

Quote:
Originally Posted by bcrdukes View Post
Do you even ride?
no, does it matter?
Anjew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2013, 10:02 PM   #104
RS Veteran

Thanked 10,501 Times in 4,306 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Anjew View Post
no, does it matter?
Yes. It does matter. Because you have never been through rider training nor have you ever ridden. You have no experience what it is like to be on two wheels, be it a bicycle, scooter or motorcycle. It is not the same as driving a car. Rider training and education go a long way.

I drive, commute on bicycle and have been riding scooters and motorcycles for well over 8 years. It wasn't until I took rider training at Pacific Riding School which was when they made me realize the dangers of the road and what I can do to prevent myself from being killed. What I thought was "common sense" wasn't really common sense afterall. It wasn't very fair of you to say that "common sense" trumps all. Like Soundy said, you were asking for too much from society.

Her car even smelled nice. Like a mixture of luxury perfume and a hint of….. vag ? Fish sauce ? Something a bit dank

Last edited by bcrdukes; 05-12-2013 at 10:07 PM.
bcrdukes is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2013, 03:18 AM   #105
I Will not Admit my Addiction to RS

I drove all through Vietnam for 2 months on a 50 cc scooter. If you can drive there you can drive anywhere.
meowjinboo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2013, 07:41 AM   #106
Performance Moderator

Thanked 15,428 Times in 5,104 Posts
^
What does that have to do with any single thing in this thread?

Where's my cool starry bra pic when I need it..........
68style is online now   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 05-13-2013, 08:35 AM   #107
Revscene.net has a homepage?!

Quote:
Originally Posted by BurnoutBinLaden View Post
Major kudos to the bystanders who immediately came to his assistance. They knew exactly what to do.
I was gonna say the same thing, that was awesome. Keep in mind VGH is down the street too. Chances are at least 1 of those people works in the health care profession.
Old 05-13-2013, 09:24 AM   #108
Even when im right, revscene.net is still right!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anjew View Post
no, does it matter?
As others have pointed out, it does matter. Driving experience will not give you the same insight into how you should ride a motorcycle defensively. For example, I don't care how long you've been driving, but when you're approaching a green light and there's a car waiting to left turn in the oncoming traffic, would you stay closer to the curb(or P3 for riders) naturally because of your driving experience? I have not seen a single car that would do that(unless the oncoming car is over into the lane) but as a motorcyclist, I try to do that as much as possible for the just in case
Bring some RS people with you to help u GANG BANG the guy!!
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Selanne_200 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2013, 10:52 AM   #109
To me, there is the Internet and there is RS

Thanked 7,383 Times in 3,465 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by predom View Post
wrongo. If its 500 watts or under and has pedals to assist the motor (even if the pedals are not really needed) And is limited to 32km/hr. You do not need a license or insurance. It follows the same rules as bicycles, which are allowed on the road, but not highways.
And whats worse skateboards are banned from public roads in Nanaimo because they don't have brakes.
Old 05-13-2013, 11:10 AM   #110
Rider

Thanked 2,081 Times in 532 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Selanne_200 View Post
As others have pointed out, it does matter. Driving experience will not give you the same insight into how you should ride a motorcycle defensively. For example, I don't care how long you've been driving, but when you're approaching a green light and there's a car waiting to left turn in the oncoming traffic, would you stay closer to the curb(or P3 for riders) naturally because of your driving experience? I have not seen a single car that would do that(unless the oncoming car is over into the lane) but as a motorcyclist, I try to do that as much as possible for the just in case
This right here has saved me countless times from a head on collision, if I didn't take the course I probably would have never thought of it until after an accident. The only thing experience can teach you when riding on 2 wheels is being able to predict certain situations, but there is more finer details to riding that you can learn from taking a course before you start to ride, or wait until you make a mistake to learn them.
gdoh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2013, 12:36 PM   #111
Rider

he assumed the bus was gonna stop eh... mistake!

rule of thumb when riding.
Never assume, if you do, assume the worst...
Old 05-13-2013, 07:49 PM   #112
(ノº _ º)ノ彡┻━┻

Quote:
Originally Posted by dink View Post
he assumed the bus was gonna stop eh... mistake!

rule of thumb when riding.
Never assume, if you do, assume the worst...
assume every car doesn't see you and will cut you off. loud pipes ftw
jnesss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2013, 08:00 PM   #113
I WANT MY 10 YEARS BACK FROM RS.net!

Thanked 12,136 Times in 3,361 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by jnesss View Post
assume every car doesn't see you and will cut you off. loud pipes ftw
Loud pipes on a scooter? :
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brianrietta View Post
Not a sebberry post goes by where I don't frown and think to myself "so..?"
Soundy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2013, 08:04 PM   #114
(ノº _ º)ノ彡┻━┻

Quote:
Originally Posted by Soundy View Post
Loud pipes on a scooter? :
i've heard scooters screaming down the streets with after market pipes!
jnesss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2013, 08:15 PM   #115

You could just remove the exhaust pipe completely, it would still sound like a broken lawnmower.
Quote:
Old 05-13-2013, 08:17 PM   #116

"Hey, before you change lanes... what's that noise?" "Hmm, sounds like a weed whacker." "Wow, that's weird, what's a weed whacker doing in the middle of the street? Must be over on the sidewalk. Oh well, here we go..." *CRUNCH*
Quote:
Old 05-13-2013, 08:17 PM   #117
My homepage has been set to RS

I don't know why people say its the scooter guys fault...its his stupidity to not wait for an auto bigger than his to stop but I don't think you can say with certainty from the video who is at fault.

From experience with a lawsuit and ICBC of identical nature:
If the light is red before the auto going straight through is in the intersection, the person driving straight through is at fault.
If the light is yellow, the person turning is at fault.

I can't imagine that law changing for a bus.
I don't know if you can tell from the video that the bus entered the intersection on a red.

If anyone has information to the contrary (ie. documented proof via BC lawsuit cases) please post up.
This post FAILED by:
Old 05-13-2013, 10:01 PM   #118

I don't think we're trying to argue that the bus is right, but we're trying to say that the scooter guy is stupid to have assumed that the bus is going to stop and he has the right of way. Yes buses run red lights, all the time, but what I'm trying to say here is if the guy on the scooter had proper training riding a scooter/motorcycle, he probably wouldn't have made the turn he did. Sure he may be right in the eyes of ICBC, but if he had been half a second slower, he's dead. Don't think you can say the same with certainty if he had been in a car.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Old 05-13-2013, 10:07 PM   #119
Willing to sell body for a few minutes on RS

Thanked 3,063 Times in 1,182 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nocardia View Post
I don't know why people say its the scooter guys fault...its his stupidity to not wait for an auto bigger than his to stop but I don't think you can say with certainty from the video who is at fault.

If the light is red before the auto going straight through is in the intersection, the person driving straight through is at fault.

I don't know if you can tell from the video that the bus entered the intersection on a red.

If anyone has information to the contrary (ie. documented proof via BC lawsuit cases) please post up.
The person turning left can only proceed when it is safe to do so. Unless there is definitive evidence proving that an oncoming car ran a red light, the left turner is at fault. It's as simple as that!
Honest to fucking Christ the easiest way to get a married woman in the mood is clean the house and do the laundry.....I've been with the same girl almost 17 years, ask me how I know. - quasi
Gumby is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 05-14-2013, 08:35 AM   #120
NNT

Funny this post turns into a scooter hating post. the same dude would get hit by that bus no matter what he's in, doesn't matter a scooter or bike or car. its the judgement, not about the vehicle he's in.
NNT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2013, 09:18 AM   #121

Yeah, but whether he survives IS about what he's rolling.
Quote:
Old 05-14-2013, 11:33 AM   #122

Quote:
Originally Posted by NNT View Post
Funny this post turns into a scooter hating post. the same dude would get hit by that bus no matter what he's in, doesn't matter a scooter or bike or car. its the judgement, not about the vehicle he's in.
Except if he was riding on a bike, he would've or at least should've been trained NOT to do what he just did. The point here is most scooter riders have no formal training and is oblivious to the risks imposed on riders as opposed to a regular drivers
Old 05-14-2013, 12:18 PM   #123
NNT

Quote:
Originally Posted by Selanne_200 View Post
Except if he was riding on a bike, he would've or at least should've been trained NOT to do what he just did. The point here is most scooter riders have no formal training and is oblivious to the risks imposed on riders as opposed to a regular drivers
I don't see the outcome would make much difference except if he is riding a bike then he may be fast enough to escape before the bus hit him (same if he is driving a car). What cause this accident is he didn't wait till the bus stop before making the turn. Which he should be well aware of that from his class 5 training, not motorcycle training specific.
NNT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2013, 12:21 PM   #124

Thanked 1,776 Times in 444 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nocardia View Post

Dude, it's a fucking bus, a B-Line one at that. Those things can't stop on a dime, geez.

Quote:
Originally Posted by NNT View Post
I don't see the outcome would make much difference except if he is riding a bike then he may be fast enough to escape before the bus hit him (same if he is driving a car). What cause this accident is he didn't wait till the bus stop before making the turn. Which he should be well aware of that from his class 5 training, not motorcycle training specific.
I have a Class 5. I would not have made that left turn with a bus barreling through the intersection. The guy was stupid, plain and simple.

http://www.e38registry.org/
Mr.C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2013, 12:32 PM   #125
Rs has made me the man i am today!

Thanked 1,587 Times in 631 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr.C View Post
Dude, it's a fucking bus, a B-Line one at that. Those things can't stop on a dime, geez.

I have a Class 5. I would not have made that left turn with a bus barreling through the intersection. The guy was stupid, plain and simple.
lmfao, everyone keeps making this thread about what the scooter guy SHOULD have done....Yes, it's obvious, any person with half a brain will tell you that you don't proceed until you know it's safe to do so....

I don't know why that keeps being said; that's not the question here.

The question at hand is this:

If the bus proceeded to enter the intersection after the light had already turned red (which we don't know yet), would the bus driver be deemed 'at fault' by ICBC?

THAT, my friends, is the question....Not "Is the scooter rider stupid?"...Yes, we already know that he is stupid, no need to bring that up again...
bballguy is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
This post FAILED by: