REVscene - Vancouver Automotive Forum

Welcome to the REVscene Automotive Forum forums.

Registration is Free!You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today! The banners on the left side and below do not show for registered users!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   REVscene Automotive Forum > Automotive Chat > Vancouver Off-Topic / Current Events

Vancouver Off-Topic / Current Events The off-topic forum for Vancouver, funnies, non-auto centered discussions, WORK SAFE. While the rules are more relaxed here, there are still rules. Please refer to sticky thread in this forum.

Old 10-14-2014, 12:16 AM   #76
Rs has made me the woman i am today!

Thanked 2,165 Times in 594 Posts
No I can't do memory foam at all, I do have a $100 memory foam pillow though I love it, but memory foam mattress just destroys my back, slept on my brothers one day and I literally had to take an hour after waking up to loosen up my lower back where I could actually start walking around without streams of pain shooting up my spine... I have nerve issues in my lower back if the spine gets a bit out of alignment it pinches and squeezes the nerves in a weird way so I need a firm mattress, right now I'm on a killer streak of 5 months without any back pain setbacks so wanna keep it going, lol

Been reading up on all your guys suggestions, went to that Liquidator guy warehouse today, they had like well over a hundred mattresses if not more all around the edges of the warehouse, but only like 1 firm King size bed which was more expensive than everywhere else and without any warranty, at $800 so I left....

tomorrow I'm going down to Richmond and will go to the Sleep country you guys recommended, and also gotta do some grocery shopping at Costco will check out what they got as well, worst thing would be spending 2k on a mattress and then it goes to shit within a few years or less and you're stuck with it....

from what I seen shopping around the typical mattress warranty is about 10 years, I think even 5 years is good but I'll take 10
Advertisement
Old 10-14-2014, 12:52 AM   #77
My homepage has been set to RS

Thanked 2,733 Times in 696 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by SpartanAir View Post
This is starting to happen to me too. I have a Stearns and Foster pillow top, going on 8 years now. Already that's time for a new mattress, but can't afford it right now.

Because it's pillow top you can't flip it, but you can rotate it. I always sleep on the same side of the bed, so two opposite corners of the bed are dented in, and the other corners are fine

So when the gf stays over she is forced to fall into me

It is incredibly comfortable, but I think I'm starting to get back issues. I wonder if we bought the same mattress?
I know, it would be nice if I could flip the mattress, but I just recently rotated it and my back pain has decreased significantly. I have no doubt that the crater was causing too much pressure on my back. It can not be a coincidence that my back started feeling better once I rotated it.

I think all pillowtops have this "defect". Though, I looked online and Sterns and Foster seem to have this defect a lot. The forums are littered with similar experiences.
PeanutButter is online now   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 10-14-2014, 12:57 AM   #78

Quote:
Originally Posted by G-spec View Post
No I can't do memory foam at all, I do have a $100 memory foam pillow though I love it, but memory foam mattress just destroys my back, slept on my brothers one day and I literally had to take an hour after waking up to loosen up my lower back where I could actually start walking around without streams of pain shooting up my spine... I have nerve issues in my lower back if the spine gets a bit out of alignment it pinches and squeezes the nerves in a weird way so I need a firm mattress, right now I'm on a killer streak of 5 months without any back pain setbacks so wanna keep it going, lol

Been reading up on all your guys suggestions, went to that Liquidator guy warehouse today, they had like well over a hundred mattresses if not more all around the edges of the warehouse, but only like 1 firm King size bed which was more expensive than everywhere else and without any warranty, at $800 so I left....

tomorrow I'm going down to Richmond and will go to the Sleep country you guys recommended, and also gotta do some grocery shopping at Costco will check out what they got as well, worst thing would be spending 2k on a mattress and then it goes to shit within a few years or less and you're stuck with it....

from what I seen shopping around the typical mattress warranty is about 10 years, I think even 5 years is good but I'll take 10
OP, be weary about the warranties. My Sterns and Foster was still under warranty and I called them, but my issue was not significant enough for them to replace it. I needed at least a 4" divot for them to even consider replacing my mattress.

I believe any new mattress you get will hurt the first few weeks, so that shouldn't be an indicator or how good the mattress is. You need to break it in.

That is why I believe Costco is the best bet. I don't think I will shop anywhere else once I get enough to buy a new mattress.
Old 10-14-2014, 01:24 AM   #79
Rs has made me the man i am today!

Thanked 2,183 Times in 606 Posts
there's s ways to fluff up a pillow top kinda.

I was reading about it after this thread was made, and tried it on Saturday morning.

Get a loooot of baking soda and spread it all over the top of the mattress and just let it sit for an hour or two to suck up all the oils and smells. It says to take a canister style vacuum to it after. I used the new dyson canister vacuum to suck up the baking soda with the little hard flat head hose attachment piece and just gave it dozens of passes to suck up all the dead skin cells etc. My mattress did seem firmer, but I'm not sure if I'm just imagining it or if it really did get firmer. Suck that pillow top and make it non squished.

Someone else needs to try it so I can find out if I'm imagining things or not. The article I read said to do it at least once a month to prevent sagging
stewie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2014, 06:22 AM   #80
Meet on the Level and Part on the Square

Thanked 2,093 Times in 669 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by PeanutButter View Post
I know, it would be nice if I could flip the mattress, but I just recently rotated it and my back pain has decreased significantly. I have no doubt that the crater was causing too much pressure on my back. It can not be a coincidence that my back started feeling better once I rotated it.

I think all pillowtops have this "defect". Though, I looked online and Sterns and Foster seem to have this defect a lot. The forums are littered with similar experiences.
It's not because it's a pillow top, it's because the manufacturers stopped selling mattresses with pillow tops on both sides so that you could flip your mattress, thus making it not last as long. If you want a continuous coil mattress that you can flip, or even a pure latex/memory foam of any density, you should check out Mr Mattress in Vancouver. Locally made and ethically priced, though his show room is nothing fancy. Will deliver for cheap as well.
Zedbra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2014, 10:33 AM   #81
I am Hook'd on RS

IKEA lol
dashosh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2014, 11:35 AM   #82
NEWBIE ACCOUNT!

Just bought one from the bay a couple weeks ago...

Home | Mattress Sets | BEAUTYREST Bailey Euro Top Set | Hudson's Bay

Queen size, got the mattress, boxspring, delivery, and a mattress cover for $1188 including PST/GST.

Fuckin awesome mattress, best one I've ever had. Better than my old tempurpedic.
aristo-crat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2014, 11:46 AM   #83
RS.net, helping ugly ppl have sex since 2001

Thanked 7,171 Times in 2,404 Posts
+1 for all the recommendations for Sleep Country.

When I first went mattress shopping, I was wary of Sleep Country thinking they would be super pushy and high-pressure, but it was the exact opposite.

They were very helpful but completely pressure-free, plus their prices were cheaper than any department store.
2010 Toyota Rav4 Limited V6 - Wifey's Daily Driver
2009 BMW 128i - Daily Driver
2007 Toyota Rav4 Sport V6 - Sold
1999 Mazda Miata - Sold
2003 Mazda Protege5 - Sold
1987 BMW 325is - Sold
1990 Mazda Miata - Sold

100% Buy and Sell Feedback
sonick is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 10-14-2014, 02:00 PM   #84
I answer every Emotion with an emoticon

Thanked 1,762 Times in 904 Posts
I know some people are wary of Asian Brands especially Chinese brands but Sea Horse imo is fairly solid and has been a solid brand for years. I use their Diamond Mattress which I believe is their highest end one and a Queen I got a few years ago was around $900.

GREG ADAMS!! GREG ADAMS!!"
winson604 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2014, 02:10 PM   #85

For those with a sag in their mattress I was looking up fixes and I simply put two old pillows where my indent was under my mattress and it seemed to have fixed the "hole". Hopefully this will work wonders for me =)

I was going to try the baking soda thing, but this was a quick fix.
Old 10-14-2014, 07:57 PM   #86

well, the Bay was supposed to have their October sales with up to 60% off or whatever... went to the richmond mall bay today, matresses sets were between 3-6 k so i ran out the store

went back to sleep country on bridgeport right across the street from mcdonalds, got a king size mattress set, with nice complete bedframe/headrest for $2700....

mattress had 20 year warranty with a 1.5 inch sag guarantee, if it indents any more than that, replacement happens.... I'm 6'1, 190 so will really put that to the test

thanks for all the suggestions, oh and free delivery and installation which just feels right, means I won't be tweaking my back this weekend moving shit around, lol
Old 10-14-2014, 08:11 PM   #87

Thanked 1,561 Times in 455 Posts
What brand did you end up going with?

Not that it matters, just curious lol

I have the same warranty and sag gaurantee as well, which I'm super happy about.

The new mattress made such a huge difference for my wife and I, we were both kicking ourselves for being cheap and not buying a mattress sooner!
Lowered_Klass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2014, 08:45 PM   #88

Lowered , it was a Kingsdown Rockwell... it was I think the firmest one they had in the store..

queen size has been allright these last years, but finally king size I have my own space away from wifey... I'm a lone wolf dammit
Old 01-15-2015, 08:07 PM   #89
Zombie Mod

Thanked 5,169 Times in 1,551 Posts
bumping this thread.

We're looking for a new mattress. Our mattress is 13+ years old. My wife got it in grade 8! :P. We fell in love with the mattress we slept on in Vegas, a Serta Perfect Sleeper (Prestige Suite II), and wanted to find the equivalent. We dropped by Sears tonight, and I think we've found it. It's the Perfect Sleeper Caliente 2. The sale price is $800 (50% off) for the mattress only. The price will drop to $675 on Feb 6.

We think it's a deal. I was going to buy it right then, but it was the first place I looked at, so I didn't want to commit, yet. Afterwards, we stopped by the Bay, and everything was twice as much since they didn't have a sale. Does anyone have any opinions/advice to offer? I think the Caliente is the one to pull the trigger on.
Old 01-15-2015, 10:35 PM   #90
private modder

Thanked 2,646 Times in 740 Posts
I believe The Bay over-inflates regular prices and then offers large discounts to imply you're getting a great deal. But really, mattresses are very competitive and any store will price match or beat the price you're getting at another store.

Don't overthink it. If you like the mattress, it's comfortable, and you like the price then just buy it. Because every other store will try and beat the deal with something else. $675 for a mattress isn't a bad deal at all.

The only other advice I have is ask questions about the warranty and then make sure your bed frame meets the requirements. Mattress warranties are fussy. If you don't use the right frame, or don't use a mattress cover, etc... then the warranty won't be honoured.
Eff-1 is online now   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 01-19-2015, 02:52 PM   #91
Zombie Mod

Thanked 5,169 Times in 1,551 Posts
We went to the Sleep Shop in Langley, and picked up a Kingsdown Aspire (Eurotop) queen mattress for $750 plus tax. It included delivery, and they'll take away our old mattress for $15 bucks. I can't wait. My back is already feeling looser
Old 01-19-2015, 03:09 PM   #92
Banned (ABWS)

4 pages of buying a matress.....
maksimizer is offline   Reply With Quote
This post FAILED by:
Old 01-19-2015, 04:16 PM   #93
I *heart* Revscene.net very Muchie

Thanked 3,814 Times in 957 Posts
You spent 1/3 of your day there resting, you have sex there, you can read books there, or do whatever else you please. Better research well beforehand.
flagella is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 01-19-2015, 05:55 PM   #94
Even when im right, revscene.net is still right!

I shopped around 4 different sleep country's before picking up a Memory Foam mattress
no more aches or pains!
DavidNguyen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2015, 07:10 PM   #95
#deephouse

Thanked 4,704 Times in 1,243 Posts
Meh memory foam
Old 01-20-2015, 02:07 AM   #96
i like gifs

Thanked 7,785 Times in 2,695 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by PeanutButter View Post
I spent $1600 for my sterns and foster pillow top from sleep country.
I love the bed, it was amazing and I hate getting up in the morning because it's so comfy. However, it has started to make a body crease in the bed. It's like a mini crater where I usually sleep. This has recently caused me a lot of back pain because the indent is like a couple inches and I guess that's affecting my spine.

For that reason alone, I would only buy a mattress from Costco. My best friend bought a mattress from costco and he loves it. I think my next mattress will be from costco because of the return policy or get a mattress without a pillow top.

If you look up pillowtop mattress, this is a common problem.
That's why I got a Seahorse brand firm mattress. I've had it for ~12 years now and it still feels nice and firm.
Ch28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2015, 11:49 PM   #97
Meow

Anyone have any recommendations for a good mattress for someone with back pains?
Old 03-22-2015, 12:11 AM   #98
RS has made me the bitter person i am today!

Thanked 2,616 Times in 899 Posts
I gaveaway my serta pillowtop when I moved in with my woman but it was pretty good. Now we have this memory foam ontop of a matress and it constantly slides around and gets annoying.

On a side: A matress without a sheet on it has to be one of the grossest things I can imagine. It's a total boner killer when I see some naughty pic/video of a chick on a sheetless matress.
Old 03-22-2015, 08:58 AM   #99
MiX iT Up!

Thanked 2,066 Times in 865 Posts
going to need a mattress soon. in for reading material.

Sometimes we tend to be in despair when the person we love leaves us, but the truth is, it's not our loss, but theirs, for they left the only person who couldn't give up on them.

Make the effort and take the risk..

"Do what you feel in your heart to be right- for you'll be criticized anyway. You'll be damned if you do, and damned if you don't." - Eleanor Roosevelt
tiger_handheld is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2015, 09:13 AM   #100
I have named my kids VIC and VLS

Thanked 14,321 Times in 5,639 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Araaadi View Post
Anyone have any recommendations for a good mattress for someone with back pains?
Probably as stiff as possible imo

I had a herniated disc and sight sciatica before I got my new mattress, as I said earlier in this thread I bought a tight top firm "searsopedic" mattress, almost over night it helped my back and it's been excellent ever since

Id say for the most part any back problems should stay away from pillow/eurotop or anything plush