REVscene - Vancouver Automotive Forum

Welcome to the REVscene Automotive Forum forums.

Registration is Free!You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today! The banners on the left side and below do not show for registered users!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   REVscene Automotive Forum > Automotive Chat > Vancouver Off-Topic / Current Events

Vancouver Off-Topic / Current Events The off-topic forum for Vancouver, funnies, non-auto centered discussions, WORK SAFE. While the rules are more relaxed here, there are still rules. Please refer to sticky thread in this forum.

Old 10-29-2017, 06:54 AM   #126
I subscribe to the Fight Club ONLY

Thanked 8,653 Times in 3,106 Posts
I was going to try these guys. Looks promising. Im in the market for a new one too

https://onpurple.com/
Advertisement
Badhobz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2017, 12:46 AM   #127
i like gifs

Thanked 7,785 Times in 2,695 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Badhobz View Post
I was going to try these guys. Looks promising. Im in the market for a new one too

https://onpurple.com/
Their mattress and pillow looks pretty interesting. The pillow itself gets a bunch of great reviews but it's $169 CAD
Ch28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2017, 07:55 AM   #128
I answer every Emotion with an emoticon

Thanked 1,761 Times in 903 Posts
Maybe I'm stuck in my ways and just don't know what's out there but give me Seahorse any day of the week.

Seriously though, is there anyone here who used to exclusively use Seahorse but eventually switched and found that the grass is greener on the other side? I really want to know as I"ll be looking to be buying a new mattress and pillow soon.

GREG ADAMS!! GREG ADAMS!!"
winson604 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2017, 08:53 AM   #129
Ricer Mod

Thanked 5,276 Times in 1,501 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by hud 91gt View Post
Curious how those foam mattress are for disturbances between partners? My GF and I are at times restless and disturb each other pretty often. Any transfer of motion with these bad boys?

I think my old Costco mattress is worn out.
There is little to no motion transfer on the all foam beds. The only thing that would likely cause disturbance is if you have a shitty frame that moves around.

Berz out.
Old 11-02-2017, 09:12 AM   #130
HELP ME PLS!!!

my wife and I bought a serta icomfort mattress when we moved in together, and it was the BEST investment ever. completely no disturbance between us.

I can't tell you the differences between all of the mattresses -- we just tried a few of them and liked the icomfort the best -- but a warning: every other mattress that you use at hotels/air bnb's etc will SUCK HARD after getting used to it.

*its not the size of your army that matters; it's the fury of it's onslaught!*

█♣█
carisear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2017, 09:34 AM   #131
I have named my kids VIC and VLS

Thanked 14,312 Times in 5,633 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by winson604 View Post
Maybe I'm stuck in my ways and just don't know what's out there but give me Seahorse any day of the week.

Seriously though, is there anyone here who used to exclusively use Seahorse but eventually switched and found that the grass is greener on the other side? I really want to know as I"ll be looking to be buying a new mattress and pillow soon.
have a few friends who have money to burn and have the true organic foam mattresses, by laying on it for like 20 seconds i could tell it was insane..

however i think these mattresses alone are like 4k+ for a king
Old 11-03-2017, 08:12 AM   #132
I contribute to threads in the offtopic forum

Thanked 7,109 Times in 1,264 Posts
FWIW, the mattress I'm currently sleeping on is a Beautyrest Felicity Recharge Hospitality Series Plush.

I learned of this mattress while staying at the Hotel Blackfoot in Calgary, normally I wake up with a sore back, not with this mattress though, wake up feeling great.

So I look at the mattress tags and contact Sleep Country, they quoted me nearly 3K for a King, Hotel sold me one for one 80% less than I was quoted by Sleep Country lol

I guess what I'm trying to say it this, find a hotel mattress you like, be really nice to the front desk, and then ask them to sell you a mattress. They sold it to me @ their cost, gives you an idea what kind of margins exist in retail mattress sales...
jasonturbo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2017, 10:59 AM   #133
Oh goodie, 5 posts already!

I recently tried this company www.silkandsnow.com. I used to sleep on a seahorse mattress but find it too hard as I am a side sleeper and would wake up with shoulder pain. I find the Silk + Snow very supportive and plush at the same time.
blaze142 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2017, 03:27 PM   #134
Captain Happy Bubble is my Homeboy

Just bought a king sized mattress and absolutely loving it and the pricing.
Got it from High Sun Mattress at 2111 Kingsway.
Never going sleep country ever again.
ynot-llat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2017, 09:03 PM   #135
My homepage has been set to RS

Thanked 2,733 Times in 696 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by blaze142 View Post
I recently tried this company www.silkandsnow.com. I used to sleep on a seahorse mattress but find it too hard as I am a side sleeper and would wake up with shoulder pain. I find the Silk + Snow very supportive and plush at the same time.
I am returning our Silk and Snow, while I think memory foam is amazing to sleep on, we found that it retained way too much heat. We've had the mattress for four weeks now and we both wake up on occasion with a damp shirt.

I never used to wake up in the night, but I've been waking up with the silk and snow.

Too bad because we both really liked the feel of the mattress. We're sending it back. I guess memory foam retains too much heat. going back to a coiled mattress

Quote:
Originally Posted by ynot-llat View Post
Just bought a king sized mattress and absolutely loving it and the pricing.
Got it from High Sun Mattress at 2111 Kingsway.
Never going sleep country ever again.
We are looking for a king mattress also. Which one did you get and what is their sleep guarantee? How much did you pay?
PeanutButter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2017, 02:59 PM   #136
Captain Happy Bubble is my Homeboy

Quote:
Originally Posted by PeanutButter View Post
I am returning our Silk and Snow, while I think memory foam is amazing to sleep on, we found that it retained way too much heat. We've had the mattress for four weeks now and we both wake up on occasion with a damp shirt.

I never used to wake up in the night, but I've been waking up with the silk and snow.

Too bad because we both really liked the feel of the mattress. We're sending it back. I guess memory foam retains too much heat. going back to a coiled mattress

We are looking for a king mattress also. Which one did you get and what is their sleep guarantee? How much did you pay?
$950 cash taxes in
Serta drury-k tight top mattress king
ynot-llat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2017, 10:43 PM   #137
My homepage has been set to RS

Thanked 2,733 Times in 696 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by ynot-llat View Post
$950 cash taxes in
Serta drury-k tight top mattress king
We just went to Sleep Country today and bought a Kingsdown Bowie on sale for $1050, no tax because of black friday for a King size.

Awesome deal. We're both really happy.
PeanutButter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2017, 12:13 AM   #138
Need my Daily Fix of RS

Quote:
Originally Posted by PeanutButter View Post
We just went to Sleep Country today and bought a Kingsdown Bowie on sale for $1050, no tax because of black friday for a King size.

Awesome deal. We're both really happy.
I remember when I was looking for mattresses and went to Sleep Country. The sales guy pushed hard for the Kingsdown. I found one I liked and told him I would get back to him. Did some research and found out they have the highest markup in terms of brand in the store. I also found some complaints of durability. So, I went for a Serta mattress instead because it felt nice even after 6 years of owning it.

However, times have changed so it might be a little different back when I bought mine. Just giving you an FYI
rsx10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2017, 04:42 PM   #139
Ebisu Boss

Thanked 1,889 Times in 705 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by winson604 View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by carisear View Post
my wife and I bought a serta icomfort mattress when we moved in together, and it was the BEST investment ever. completely no disturbance between us.
I can't tell you the differences between all of the mattresses -- we just tried a few of them and liked the icomfort the best -- but a warning: every other mattress that you use at hotels/air bnb's etc will SUCK HARD after getting used to it.
I'm in the market for a new firmer mattress. Went browsing around the last couple days and here's how it turned out for me.

Went to Sleep Country and the salesman showed me a Tempur-Pedic (Cloud?) that was regular price $2300 but he said he had 3 new showroom specials left in the Calgary warehouse that he can sell 1 to me for $1700, if those 3 are gone he can't do anymore discounts. He said TP's rarely go on sale, they are the "Apple of the Mattress world". Not sure how much of this was truth or a pitch. Put a refundable deposit on it.

Then went to this store I drove by called Simmons Mattress Gallery on Broadway. Tried many many beds and the one we liked the most was the Serta iComfort. Regular price was something like 4k but "on sale" for $1699.
I told them about my TP at Sleep Country and they were willing to give me additional 5% off. Their sales pitch was that the iComfort has new technology in the foam, cooling gel so that it doesn't get as hot as the TP. However I researched this and online reviews say the cooling gel is barely noticeable overnight, if at all. I put a hold on that one.

Next day, went to Sea Horse and my wife loved the Diamond Mattress, double win that it was the lowest price of the 3.
The guy said the same things, about how full foam beds can sleep hot, which is a good point because I tend to get pretty warm even in my current bed that's not foam. I can't imagine getting any hotter or I'm gonna wake up like I came out of a sauna.
He wouldn't budge on any bargaining though, says they never discount, even Boxing Day, etc. Not sure if it's BS.

Now on to my important point:
I called SMG to cancel my hold on the Serta and the lady asked me if I found another mattress. I told her my wife fell in love with a Sea Horse, she then begins to lecture me about how Sea Horse is made in China, they don't have the strict regulations of Canadian foam so breathing in the toxicity is not safe and quality not as good.
There's a thousand and one opinions on Google so as usual I turn to RS haha... Does anyone have any knowledge they can drop here regarding this?

I never bought a foam bed before, they have to be off-gassed? So I should leave the mattress in open space for a few days before putting it in my room?

Last edited by Obsideon; 11-27-2017 at 04:52 PM.
Obsideon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2017, 02:48 PM   #140
I subscribe to Revscene

Quote:
Originally Posted by Obsideon View Post
I'm in the market for a new firmer mattress. Went browsing around the last couple days and here's how it turned out for me.

Went to Sleep Country and the salesman showed me a Tempur-Pedic (Cloud?) that was regular price $2300 but he said he had 3 new showroom specials left in the Calgary warehouse that he can sell 1 to me for $1700, if those 3 are gone he can't do anymore discounts. He said TP's rarely go on sale, they are the "Apple of the Mattress world". Not sure how much of this was truth or a pitch. Put a refundable deposit on it.

Then went to this store I drove by called Simmons Mattress Gallery on Broadway. Tried many many beds and the one we liked the most was the Serta iComfort. Regular price was something like 4k but "on sale" for $1699.
I told them about my TP at Sleep Country and they were willing to give me additional 5% off. Their sales pitch was that the iComfort has new technology in the foam, cooling gel so that it doesn't get as hot as the TP. However I researched this and online reviews say the cooling gel is barely noticeable overnight, if at all. I put a hold on that one.

Next day, went to Sea Horse and my wife loved the Diamond Mattress, double win that it was the lowest price of the 3.
The guy said the same things, about how full foam beds can sleep hot, which is a good point because I tend to get pretty warm even in my current bed that's not foam. I can't imagine getting any hotter or I'm gonna wake up like I came out of a sauna.
He wouldn't budge on any bargaining though, says they never discount, even Boxing Day, etc. Not sure if it's BS.

I called SMG to cancel my hold on the Serta and the lady asked me if I found another mattress. I told her my wife fell in love with a Sea Horse, she then begins to lecture me about how Sea Horse is made in China, they don't have the strict regulations of Canadian foam so breathing in the toxicity is not safe and quality not as good.
There's a thousand and one opinions on Google so as usual I turn to RS haha... Does anyone have any knowledge they can drop here regarding this?

I never bought a foam bed before, they have to be off-gassed? So I should leave the mattress in open space for a few days before putting it in my room?
how much was the diamond mattress and what size did you order?
DA9ve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2017, 05:19 PM   #141

Quote:
Originally Posted by Obsideon View Post

Been using a diamond mattress for about 8 years. Got a queen back then for roughly $900-$1000. I've had zero issues for the first 6 years but noticed in the last 2 on nights I sleep longer my back will start to hurt. No idea if it has anything to do with the mattress or it's just me. I also don't know if there's a better mattresses because I don't know what I don't know and laying down in a store definitely won't tell me that either.

Old 11-28-2017, 06:37 PM   #142

I don't like those sea horse mattresses. Wayy too stiff. Felt like sleeping on a stone bed in the morning. I actually really enjoyed this IKEA foam mattress that was their midgrade product . Can't recall the name.... Some kinda Bork Bork Bork name. Anyways it was a great mattress we used for the road trip. Threw it in the back of the wagon and slept like a baby.
Old 11-28-2017, 06:40 PM   #143

If you’re buying anything from ikea you’re nuts not to buy the sealy from Costco imo.

I bought their $499 queen they typically have in stock for my spare bed room, this mattress is the quality of a $1000+ mattress elsewhere. I wouldn’t hesitate to buy the king for my own bed if it came to it. I’m that impressed by the quality vs price
Old 11-28-2017, 06:43 PM   #144

IKEA one was dirt cheap for a single. something like 169 and it's foldable too. Good for road trips. My first foam mattress
Old 11-28-2017, 07:24 PM   #145
Ebisu Boss

Quote:
Originally Posted by DA9ve View Post
how much was the diamond mattress and what size did you order?
It's $1100ish for the Queen, $1400 for a King.

Quote:
I don't like those sea horse mattresses. Wayy too stiff. Felt like sleeping on a stone bed in the morning. I actually really enjoyed this IKEA foam mattress that was their midgrade product . Can't recall the name.... Some kinda Bork Bork Bork name. Anyways it was a great mattress we used for the road trip. Threw it in the back of the wagon and slept like a baby.
It's in their slogan lol - "Firm like a wooden plank!"
They have 3 different firmness of mattresses, even the softest one is too hard for you? I tried their stiffest one and yes it really is like sleeping on concrete haha.

My main concern with the full foam mattresses was that all online comments say it will retain heat a LOT. I already get quite warm overnight. I can't really get a good judge of that just laying at the store for a few minutes.

Quote:
IKEA one was dirt cheap for a single. something like 169 and it's foldable too. Good for road trips. My first foam mattress
At the Sea Horse store I saw some foldable mattresses there too I think they were around $160? Could look into that.
Old 11-28-2017, 07:31 PM   #146
Ebisu Boss

How serious or overblown is the whole toxic gassing thing with foam mattress? What the lady said about the Sea Horse mattress has me a bit paranoid. Or does that apply to every foam mattress?
Should I just leave it out in open space to air out for a few days or it won't matter?
Old 11-28-2017, 07:40 PM   #147

I slept on a cheap foam mattress my parents bought me for like 6+ years

Was a good bed actually but I never considered the off gassing. If you’re worried about it let it air out for a week. Personally I’d think it’s somybing that’s almost impossible to accurately monitor and know for sure, does it off gas when used? Moved? How old is the bed you bought? 1 month? 6? A year? When does it stop?

When researching home insullation I looked quite a bit into eurea formaldehyde blown in insullation, which is kind of a type of foam that is known to off-gas and like foam, it’s health effects were hard to prove but it was thought to maybe cause cancer. From what I read it’s off gassing is done within the first 2 years, after that it’s virtually idle.

So a long way of saying it depends.
Old 11-28-2017, 10:50 PM   #148

Quote:
What stiffness? The diamond has different stiffness on either side and while the hard side just wrecks me the other side is a fairly good in between and not "stiff" by seahorse standard.

Old 11-29-2017, 01:16 AM   #149
Ebisu Boss

Nostalgic note, I used to remember seeing this ad on TVB like 20 years ago and joked that why would I want a hard bed. If your bed is as hard as a wooden plank, I might as well sleep on the floor! ... I'll stick to my pillowy soft marshmellow bed ... fast forward to now and I'm looking for one lol.
This post thanked by:
Old 11-29-2017, 10:08 AM   #150

^^
Classic! On par with those classic Dr Jamie Chan commercials or that old school Auto Body Shop commercial with the white dog, you Chinese know what I'm talking about!