REVscene - Vancouver Automotive Forum

Welcome to the REVscene Automotive Forum forums.

Registration is Free!You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today! The banners on the left side and below do not show for registered users!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   REVscene Automotive Forum > Automotive Chat > Vancouver Off-Topic / Current Events

Vancouver Off-Topic / Current Events The off-topic forum for Vancouver, funnies, non-auto centered discussions, WORK SAFE. While the rules are more relaxed here, there are still rules. Please refer to sticky thread in this forum.

Closed Thread

Old 07-04-2013, 08:48 PM   #1001
Hacked RS to become a mod

Thanked 23,816 Times in 8,190 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hondaracer View Post
Lol well no shit he ain't happy..
Posted via RS Mobile
"no shit" but you just said it "doesn't mean anything"
Advertisement
Old 07-04-2013, 08:51 PM   #1002
I have named my kids VIC and VLS

Thanked 14,322 Times in 5,640 Posts
Well what are you trying to read from it? of course he's not happy but i'd say it would be fairly ignorant to assume that Lu wont come back and be a complete pro like he's been all along

just cause he isnt doing interviews means very little and i think it was a bad move to reveal that they are all going down to talk to him, although it probably would have came out either way i suppose

i hate how all the clowns in the media always come back to "oh well why wouldnt you be happy when your making 6.2 per"

who gives a shit what somone makes, yea Luongo makes in 1 game what you make in 1.5 years Botchford, what would your wife think if you built up moving to the east coast for a year for a new exciting job then last minute realized your staying where you are in your same old shitty job?

it's peoples lives here outside of the game, all athletes are millionaires
Old 07-04-2013, 08:55 PM   #1003

> Well what are you trying to read from it?

That he's unhappy with the move

> it would be fairly ignorant to assume that Lu wont come back

Of course it would

> just cause he isnt doing interviews means very little

It means he's not happy with the move, IMO

> it was a bad move to reveal that they are all going down to talk to him

That tells us something about his reaction too

> although it probably would have came out either way i suppose

Yup
Old 07-04-2013, 08:57 PM   #1004

I agree with all that, but as a fan it's kinda a moot point, could you really fault him if he did everything in his power to get out of here?

I really hope fans at least will realize all the shit he's been through when he has a bad night and people think "old typical Lu"

hopefully under Torts there wont be those big "give up" nights
Old 07-04-2013, 09:19 PM   #1005
I *heart* Revscene.net very Muchie

Quote:
Originally Posted by pastarocket View Post
Sometimes I think people, even good NHL goalies like Luongo, just want to spend some quality time with their family and ignore these media hacks.

Many people who follow the Canucks, if they wanted to know more about Lu, know that his wife is from Florida.

Perhaps the reason that Luongo isn't talking time to the media is because he knows that it's better to spend time with his wife and kid in hot and sunny Florida than to talk with a bunch of reporters.

Luongo: "I don't give a rat's ass about the media right now. It's my wife and kid that come first". A guy who knows his priorities in life. -sounds like common sense to any guy who is a father and a husband.

Good for Lu to ignore news articles like the shit that Spector from Sportsnet writes about the Canucks. This Canucks basher is probably criticizing the Canucks because his homer team the Oilers were not able to get Schneider.
Luongo plans to return to Las Vegas for the 2013 WSOP Main Event starting July 6. My guess is he does an interview before then.

Luongo doesn't have anything to prove. He's been a professional during his entire tenure with the Canucks, and he will be for years to come. Media here like to blow shit our of proportion, as do fans.
Old 07-04-2013, 09:21 PM   #1006
RS.net, helping ugly ppl have sex since 2001

Thanked 3,493 Times in 1,691 Posts
Let's shift the discussion towards the guy who caused this whole goaltender mess in the first place: "bold moves" Mike Gillis.

How the heck do you get to keep your job as the Canucks GM after signing a good goaltender in Luongo to a lengthy contract, AND a no trade clause? Talk about not knowing how to manage your team's salary structure.

Gillis restricts the team's ability to see big free agent players in the offseason because of such crazy contracts. It's doesn't take an "cap-ologist" to figure out that salary cap is harder to manage when you sign a player to such a lengthy contract.

Did this guy not foresee the NHL salary cap going down in future years?

What kind of bold moves has MG done to add legitimate, top 6 forwards at their prime or near the prime of their careers in order to give this team offensive depth?

David Booth? If the guy shot pucks like the way he shoots animals, he would be a decent power forward. Mats Sundin? He was past his prime when Gillis signed him to play here.

Trading Schneider to New Jersey for the 9th pick in the draft? -possibly a Cam Neely moment. New Jersey's GM fleeces Gillis.

It just boggles the mind how Gillis still has a job with the Canucks.
Old 07-04-2013, 09:22 PM   #1007
rsx
Lomac owned my ass at least once

Thanked 3,463 Times in 820 Posts
I think Luongo wouldn't mind doing interviews, I bet his manager, pr people are telling him it's not a good idea lol.
Old 07-04-2013, 09:25 PM   #1008

i'd say booth it still to be seen and Sundin only cost the Canucks money so i'd say it was a pretty bold move at the time

I'm not quick to jump on Gillis, every GM tries to do somthing different he gets ripped apart. Canucks needed a huge shakeup and IMO the way the team has the potential to look now will look much different than it would if Corey was going to be here. I think Corey would always have the feel like ok we have this core and maybe NOW we can get somewhere, when as far as i'm concerned thats the wrong attitude to take. You need to rebuild the skaters more than either goalie, by Signing Lu youre forced to at least make attempt to "drastically" change the look now overall
Old 07-04-2013, 09:32 PM   #1009

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hondaracer View Post
I agree with all that, but as a fan it's kinda a moot point, could you really fault him if he did everything in his power to get out of here?

I really hope fans at least will realize all the shit he's been through when he has a bad night and people think "old typical Lu"

hopefully under Torts there wont be those big "give up" nights
I don't fault him at all, but he didn't really do everything in his power to get out... He sat on his NTC even when they had a deal from TO.. which he eventually agreed to apparently but when Burke was gone the offer was off the table.

I agree the management has handled this horribly, but what can you do when the guy only wants to go to one team, and the other team won't give up anything knowing this?
Old 07-04-2013, 09:35 PM   #1010

thats assuming alot
Old 07-04-2013, 09:53 PM   #1011
Orgasm Donor & Alatar owned my ass twice!

Thanked 4,387 Times in 1,145 Posts
Can't blame him for sundin. Prior to signing with the Canucks he was still putting up 30+ goal seasons.
Posted via RS Mobile
Old 07-04-2013, 10:19 PM   #1012
My homepage has been set to RS

Quote:
Originally Posted by pastarocket View Post
Let's shift the discussion towards the guy who caused this whole goaltender mess in the first place: "bold moves" Mike Gillis.

How the heck do you get to keep your job as the Canucks GM after signing a good goaltender in Luongo to a lengthy contract, AND a no trade clause? Talk about not knowing how to manage your team's salary structure.

Gillis restricts the team's ability to see big free agent players in the offseason because of such crazy contracts. It's doesn't take an "cap-ologist" to figure out that salary cap is harder to manage when you sign a player to such a lengthy contract.

What kind of bold moves has MG done to add legitimate, top 6 forwards at their prime or near the prime of their careers in order to give this team offensive depth?

David Booth? If the guy shot pucks like the way he shoots animals, he would be a decent power forward. Mats Sundin? He was past his prime when Gillis signed him to play here.

Trading Schneider to New Jersey for the 9th pick in the draft? -possibly a Cam Neely moment. New Jersey's GM fleeces Gillis.

It just boggles the mind how Gillis still has a job with the Canucks.

I feel like there is just so much wrong with a lot of the things you said here.

You do realize that the owner has to agree to this kind of thing, it's not like Gillis just does it, and if Aquilini doesn't like it, he fires him. Lu's cap hit is 5.3m, which is not ridiculously high for a goalie of his calibre, and at the time of it's signing, everyone in the league was doing these stupidly long front loaded contracts.

More often than not, signing "big" free agents isn't how you build a cup winning team.

If that's really an argument, the same can be said for GM's all across the league. At the current time, via Capgeek, there are 10 teams with less cap space than the Canucks. Further, the cap is supposed to be going back up next year.

Booth had a decent first season coming off of injury, and if he had played the full year he would have projected to have 40ish points with 20+ goals. Not too bad. He had some freak injuries last year and has yet to play a full season, and could do great under a new coach.

Sundin did alright for us and like someone said, all it cost was money, so it wasn't a terrible signing. People seem to forget he added pieces like Torres, Lapierre, Higgins, Ehrhoff, Samuelsson, Hamhuis, Malhotra - all which were vital pieces in our 2011 cup run. If we had won that game 7, this discussion wouldn't be happening.

Bo Horvat projects to be a very, very good player, and if he turns out anything like Bergeron, I can't say we got fleeced. Could he have gotten more for Schneider? Maybe, but he did the best he could have at the time. Obviously the situation wasn't handled very well, but I certainly wouldn't say we got fleeced. Trading into the top 10 of a deep draft isn't an easy thing to do. Cory Schneider is 27 and isn't even a bonafide starter yet, and has had no playoff success. I don't doubt he will be a very good goalie, but you have to take these things into account.

I would have rather traded Cory for assets as opposed to giving away Lu for nothing. Let's be honest, the window for us winning the cup is very slim now, and we acquired some assets that should be ready to make a big impact by the time that window should be closed. Maybe that gives us the chance to continue being a competitive team. Cory is also a UFA in 2 years, and if he plays spectacular, what kind of money will he want then?

It's easy to point out the negative things that have happened, but there have been a lot of positives as well.

Last edited by kristianhay; 07-04-2013 at 10:26 PM.
This post thanked by:
Old 07-04-2013, 10:21 PM   #1013

Thanked 2,558 Times in 925 Posts
Old 07-04-2013, 10:34 PM   #1014

No one saw the new CBA going after teams that signed players to long terms deals and penalizing them in every way. You take away those stipulations in the new CBA and keep the low cap for next season and I guarantee Gillis would be able to get a lot for Luongo and he would have been able to trade him sooner. If I'm going to fault Gillis on anything, its his timing of moving a goalie, but it was a direct result of the CBA which caused this mess.

As for the trade for the 9th pick. I think more people would have bitched if Luongo was bought out. Can't win with sports fans.
Old 07-04-2013, 10:53 PM   #1015
Orgasm Donor & Alatar owned my ass twice!

Thanked 4,387 Times in 1,145 Posts
Just win the damn cup and all is forgiven.
Posted via RS Mobile
Old 07-04-2013, 11:05 PM   #1016

Thanked 2,558 Times in 925 Posts
Old 07-04-2013, 11:07 PM   #1017
manage the cap you say????

Thanked 3,613 Times in 1,181 Posts
^^

Not really.... Canucks fans will always have something to bitch about

\\ ______
  \(ಠ益ಠ)
   >  ヽ
   /   へ\
   /  / \\
   レ ノ   ヽ_つ ayyy lmao
  / /
  / /|
 ( (ヽ
 | |、\
 | 丿 \ ⌒)
 | |  ) /
`ノ )  Lノ
Old 07-04-2013, 11:10 PM   #1018
Ebisu Boss

Thanked 1,889 Times in 705 Posts
I don't really understand all the "fleeced" comments. Schneider with all his lofty numbers, still hasn't "proven" anything. What if he can't handle the load of a full 60+ game season? He sure wasn't good enough in the playoffs so far. What if he gets injured? I mean he did play in front of one of the most expensive d-core in the league.
I might get failed for this ... but to me he's almost like a Devan Dubnyk except Edmonton's defense is horrendous, if he played here behind Luongo we could possibly have the same saga lol. I guarantee his numbers would be much worse if he played for the Oilers this season.
I actually have friends in Edmonton who told me they were worried that they were going to give up the proposed 7th overall, 2nd rounder and prospect for Schneider.

We won't know how this trade REALLY pans out for at least another year, especially if Brodeur decides to play 1 more year, then all we will just see is another "spectacular" back-up season from Schnieder. For all we know BoHo might even crack the line-up ... so much uncertainty and people are already calling for heads on guillotines ...

smh
This post thanked by:
Old 07-05-2013, 01:24 AM   #1019
In RS I Trust

Thanked 17,581 Times in 4,297 Posts
Lets just agree that this season is going to be so excepting on so many levels with things we haven't really dealt with in years. I want Cory to do great but a part of my wants him to bomb in a way so the trade even looks better. All I know I can't wait to find what happens with the free agents later today. Staying at a cabin in Washington and thank god for why wifi!!!

Lu will man up and everything will be fine, one thing about him is he loves to play and rarely gets injured which is key on this case.
Posted via RS Mobile
Old 07-05-2013, 06:17 AM   #1020

Thanked 3,493 Times in 1,691 Posts
-hoping that BoHo, Horvat, has a much longer and more successful career as a Canuck, than CoHo.

Your thoughts about Subban's brother Jordan? Are there youtube clips of the guy
playing in a game?
Posted via RS Mobile
Old 07-05-2013, 06:26 AM   #1021
RS.net PIMP

Thanked 3,057 Times in 824 Posts
I can see a number of teams sending offer sheets to Pietrangelo easily

Quote:
Darren Dreger ‏@DarrenDreger 3m
@TSNBobMcKenzie. Already talk of offer sheets among teams with space. Pietrangelo, Bogosian, Little, Bailey, Henrique, Hamonic...
Quote:
Bob McKenzie ‏@TSNBobMcKenzie 9m
Another interesting angle: will there be offer sheets on RFAs. With cap going down, inability to hide $ in minors, teams may be vulnerable.
Old 07-05-2013, 06:38 AM   #1022

Lots of teams cleared cap space. Now to see if they have the balls to drop an offer on a player. Pietrangelo and Bogosian are solid.

So apparently, the Bruins made Seguin live in a hotel during the playoffs and they had a guard standing outside his door so he wouldn't go out and party.

B?s trade problem child | Boston Herald
Old 07-05-2013, 06:59 AM   #1023
RS.net PIMP

Thanked 3,057 Times in 824 Posts
Alfie to Detroit

Quote:
Bob McKenzie ‏@TSNBobMcKenzie 3m
Expectation is Alfredsson will go to DET. Since he's 35+ player, base salary likely in $3.5M range with bonuses taking it up to $5M total.
Quote:
Darren Dreger ‏@DarrenDreger 11m
Alfredsson informed the Sens late last night to give Ottawa ample time to put together a plan for Clarkson ,etc. #TSN
Old 07-05-2013, 07:10 AM   #1024

whaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa?

so weird... That guy WAS the Senators...

Being traded is one thing, but signing with another team?

Can you imagine if Trevor signed with the Wild or something the year he retired?
Old 07-05-2013, 07:14 AM   #1025
(╯°□°)╯聽不到 ╮(°□°╮)

Thanked 11,196 Times in 2,276 Posts
I always thought Alfie would retire with the Sens, still a chance that he could,
Closed Thread